Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert - has anyone met him? 13:27 - Feb 12 with 3616 viewsLeBlue

If so, is he as miserable and aloof as he seems?

I can only speak from my own experience - went to a few away games last season, my kids are always keen to get there early to see the players arrive. Without fail, PL was off the coach, eyes down, avoiding the fans and virtually sprinting into the ground. Not even a wave or a smile.

Accrington away springs to mind, the contrast between Lambert and the staff, players and even owner (Andy Holt) of Accrington was marked. An owner who mingled with fans, home and away, was approachable and clearly enjoyed his role.
Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:44 - Feb 12 with 3549 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:50 - Feb 12 with 3528 viewsRadlett_blue

I was at a Town London Branch function which Lambert attended & he spoke pretty well. I don't think he's a bad person, just not a very good manager whose last successful spell was nearly 10 years ago & I'm perfectly prepared to believe that Ian Culverhouse was more than partly responsible for his success.
The points Lambert made about Town's training facilities etc having been neglected for years may have been very well made. I would include sports science (for which O'Neill is responsible) in that category.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:51 - Feb 12 with 3514 viewsLeBlue

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:44 - Feb 12 by BryanPlug

If I owned one of the 'smaller' teams, I'd support the salary cap as well. Accrington's wage bill is probably already within it and it takes away the advantage that the likes of Sunderland, Pompey and us have.

Can't say I blame him.
Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:54 - Feb 12 with 3493 viewsBryanPlug

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:51 - Feb 12 by LeBlue

If I owned one of the 'smaller' teams, I'd support the salary cap as well. Accrington's wage bill is probably already within it and it takes away the advantage that the likes of Sunderland, Pompey and us have.

Can't say I blame him.

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:56 - Feb 12 with 3473 viewsgordon

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:54 - Feb 12 by BryanPlug

If you owned a corner shop, you'd probably support that.
Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:56 - Feb 12 with 3465 viewsLeBlue

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:54 - Feb 12 by BryanPlug

I agree that the salary cap was a ridiculous idea, some enforced cap on percentage of turnover always made more sense.
Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:57 - Feb 12 with 3453 viewsBryanPlug

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:56 - Feb 12 by gordon

If you owned a corner shop, you'd probably support that.

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 14:03 - Feb 12 with 3416 viewsMrTown

I don't think he's a bad person. He's just not very good football manager.

He's rightly taken the flak for that, and he's got the hump about it, as we all would and is just defending his corner - it's all just gone very sour again. Time to cut the loss and start a fresh.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 14:09 - Feb 12 with 3376 viewsdavblue

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:51 - Feb 12 by LeBlue

Can't say I blame him.

He did also say on Twitter this week, although he supported it which for him it makes sense.

He also didn't want to stop the bigger clubs in the division from spending what they could afford.

He would like to see it tiered so bigger clubs can spend but also within their limits, which is very sensible.
Lambert - has anyone met him? on 15:25 - Feb 12 with 3183 viewsmrshallisfit

He didn't have many friends left when he departed Norwich. The one he did keep - Culverhouise- he dramatically lost when at Villa.
Lambert - has anyone met him? on 15:29 - Feb 12 with 3166 viewshype313

I had quite a nice chat with him last year, seemed like a decent bloke, but that doesn't detract from the fact that he is abject at best at his job.

I know plenty of nice people who are dire at their job, being a nasty person doesn't equate to being bad at your job, arguable the most successful people are horrible bastards.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 16:56 - Feb 12 with 2984 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 14:03 - Feb 12 by MrTown

I don't think he's a bad person. He's just not very good football manager.

He's rightly taken the flak for that, and he's got the hump about it, as we all would and is just defending his corner - it's all just gone very sour again. Time to cut the loss and start a fresh.

If he'd have stuck to how he was before and accepted the criticism and not had a childish meltdown over TWTD and the local media over frankly basic points most of us wouldn't want him gone so badly, its because he picked a fight with the fans that he's put himself into the firing line. Lets be honest hes just another manager whos failed to work out here since Evans took over, he didn't need to go on to the attack at all.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 16:59 - Feb 12 with 2960 viewsclive_baker

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 13:50 - Feb 12 by Radlett_blue

I was at a Town London Branch function which Lambert attended & he spoke pretty well. I don't think he's a bad person, just not a very good manager whose last successful spell was nearly 10 years ago & I'm perfectly prepared to believe that Ian Culverhouse was more than partly responsible for his success.
The points Lambert made about Town's training facilities etc having been neglected for years may have been very well made. I would include sports science (for which O'Neill is responsible) in that category.

He held the room relatively well, but then we did win a few days later that put us top of the league, so it was hard at that point to be too critical despite the signs being there and the poor form we were in.

He seems a shadow of that bloke though. He was dressed smartly that night, he looked in good shape too.

He looks like a broken man now in comparison to be honest, it's not nice to see.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 17:05 - Feb 12 with 2924 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I've met him professionally, several times. Always struck me as a decent guy, likes a laugh, doesn't like things to get overly complicated. Very much an 'arm around the shoulder' type of manager in general.

However, if he doesn't like you, he'll make no attempt to hide it, and if you piss him off once too often he will cut you dead. He is sadly a manager that does hold grudges, as we have seen in recent weeks, and Donacien found out from day one in the door.

He can be pretty dour, but he's very clever in general very sharp minded.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 17:09]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 17:12 - Feb 12 with 2889 viewsBent_double

Can't remember the name of the former player who was on FF last Saturday, but he said Lambert had a great sense of humour, it was just a shame he didn't show it with the players (Villa I think).

I think he's actually desperate for things to turn around for him here, but he, like any professional football manager knows, that this is just how it works, or doesn't in our case.

Who knows, his next appointment might be the one that turns in around for him, but he's finished here.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 17:37 - Feb 12 with 2797 viewsKeno

In fairness Sir Bob told me to "f4ck off' once

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 19:03 - Feb 12 with 2699 viewsTrequartista

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 17:37 - Feb 12 by Keno

In fairness Sir Bob told me to "f4ck off' once

He's like that all the time, and yet he is a saint for feeding Africa.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 19:10 - Feb 12 with 2667 viewsParisBlue

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 16:59 - Feb 12 by clive_baker

He held the room relatively well, but then we did win a few days later that put us top of the league, so it was hard at that point to be too critical despite the signs being there and the poor form we were in.

He seems a shadow of that bloke though. He was dressed smartly that night, he looked in good shape too.

He looks like a broken man now in comparison to be honest, it's not nice to see.

Compare his interviews and general demeanour this season to the press conferences when he first came in.

Even the press conference before the cancelled Bristol Rovers game last season. Night and day. Not sure what happened over the summer but he seems a different person. I agree it's not nice to see.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 20:07 - Feb 12 with 2582 viewsHipsterectomy

I watched a TalkNorwich thing after they lost last season and Grant Holt was on there. He said Lambert was the best manager he had ever known, that the players adored him and most games were won because they would do anything to please him. Lambert filled them all with confidence and belief and was optimistic all the time.

I'm guessing multiple sackings later and falling out with his best mates in football, we have the sad, dour pessimist we see today.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 20:52 - Feb 12 with 2490 viewslazyblue

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 20:07 - Feb 12 by Hipsterectomy

I watched a TalkNorwich thing after they lost last season and Grant Holt was on there. He said Lambert was the best manager he had ever known, that the players adored him and most games were won because they would do anything to please him. Lambert filled them all with confidence and belief and was optimistic all the time.

I'm guessing multiple sackings later and falling out with his best mates in football, we have the sad, dour pessimist we see today.

But unlike Hurst the players seem to be still playing for him.
Lambert - has anyone met him? on 20:55 - Feb 12 with 2480 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 16:59 - Feb 12 by clive_baker

I saw the Norwich ‘fight’ the other day and it’s remarkable how trim he looks compared to today

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 21:11 - Feb 12 with 2426 viewsIP4_Blue

Met him briefly in Wongs chinese he was polite
Lambert - has anyone met him? on 21:45 - Feb 12 with 2368 viewsParamedic

Yeah but Lamberts a very important professional, he played for big clubs, so you know he hasn’t got the time for people like you or me.......thank god!

AllalallalSunderland

Lambert - has anyone met him? on 23:47 - Feb 12 with 2176 viewsFreddies_Ears

I have met him a few times, socially. Most recently a couple of weeks ago (while our for a walk...). The Covid bug had really got him - he was trying to get his strength back, and had kept off the bench a few games.

I have always found him polite and friendly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024