Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick 08:44 - Mar 21 with 4846 viewsGarv

Fails to win a derby game for 5 years while Town boss

Wins his first derby game as Cardiff manager within a few months.

Have to laugh really.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Mick on 10:54 - Mar 21 with 2111 viewswkj

Mick on 10:43 - Mar 21 by longtimefan

Yeh. Scratching out a 1-0 nil win. Who on earth would want that? Far better a 2-1 loss

When it comes to Derbies, we could play pish poor for 90 minutes and score deep into injury time by virtue of their goalkeeper falling asleep and guffing on the ball to roll it over line and we would rightly feel like we're on cloud nine.

Whilst there are plenty of bad/boring wins in football- it doesn't matter in derby games.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 11:18]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mick on 10:55 - Mar 21 with 2121 viewsjas0999

Two clubs not that far apart in terms of quality. Mick had limited resource at Ipswich. Norwich sadly had more quality than us.
Mick on 11:02 - Mar 21 with 2103 viewsKeaneish

Mick on 10:51 - Mar 21 by Mullet

Given they turned over Burnley next and our lot persisted is hilarious. Especially the pious football experts who are wrong at every turn, even when rewriting history themselves in the topic.

I guess that’s the modern football fan for you.

...someone give him a Sunday cuddle and tell him it’s not normal to be this morose.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mick on 11:04 - Mar 21 with 2098 viewslongtimefan

Mick on 10:52 - Mar 21 by Keaneish

Ah yes, this old conversation again, pragmatism over football. Think this conversation has been done to death on here with no conclusion.

I think the conclusion was obvious. Play a formation or approach that gives you results that are more than the sum of your parts or don’t. Some might say the conclusion was Championship football v L1.
Mick on 11:08 - Mar 21 with 2092 viewsRyorry

Mick on 11:04 - Mar 21 by longtimefan

I think the conclusion was obvious. Play a formation or approach that gives you results that are more than the sum of your parts or don’t. Some might say the conclusion was Championship football v L1.

This may shock you, but a large number of professional football clubs have shown over decades that it is actually possible to both play exciting, attractive football, *and* win games ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mick on 11:27 - Mar 21 with 2072 viewsKeaneish

Mick on 11:04 - Mar 21 by longtimefan

Whilst others would say this logic is flawed as demonstrated by the rapidly declining attendances and significant loss in weekly revenue. Our league status isn’t an accurate reflection on this topic - it’s a deeply illogical argument.

Mick on 11:30 - Mar 21 with 2072 viewsstantheman

Mick on 11:08 - Mar 21 by Ryorry

This may shock you, but a large number of professional football clubs have shown over decades that it is actually possible to both play exciting, attractive football, *and* win games ...

You can play like that but unfortunately we do not have players with the necessary ability to do it. Havn't for more years than I can remember. Big clear out needed to get more ability and moral fibre into the squad.
Mick on 11:36 - Mar 21 with 2064 viewsPJH

Mick on 11:08 - Mar 21 by Ryorry

They have-except the 'win games' is the important part.
Login to get fewer ads

Mick on 11:40 - Mar 21 with 2059 viewsKeaneish

Mick on 11:30 - Mar 21 by stantheman

You can play like that but unfortunately we do not have players with the necessary ability to do it. Havn't for more years than I can remember. Big clear out needed to get more ability and moral fibre into the squad.

We’ve got more natural footballers than we have limited footballers though. We should nurture that rather than than resort to grinding points out in the name of progress!

Mick on 11:55 - Mar 21 with 2047 viewsRyorry

Mick on 11:40 - Mar 21 by Keaneish

We’ve got more natural footballers than we have limited footballers though. We should nurture that rather than than resort to grinding points out in the name of progress!

And play a system that brings out the best in them, rather than the manager forcing them to grimly stick to a rigid system that suits *him* ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mick on 11:58 - Mar 21 with 2043 viewsjudespiveyg

Mick on 10:12 - Mar 21 by Mullet

Who said it was an attack? The fact you lot are so binary and hypocritical with your “move on” until you can moan about him is funny.

The fact the last part of your post agrees with me that the scenarios aren’t comparable, telling.

Maybe had he had the backing in and off the pitch here throughout eh?

Don't cry lol. Watching football doesn't matter enough to get as rattled as you clearly are.

For the record I actually think McCarthy is a decent manager. Doesn't mean he didn't have faults though. I mean he's easily the best Ipswich manager I've ever seen. (Not that that's saying much)

You're the one being binary lol given that you seem to believe that because I don't love him I must hate him. I am allowed to think he was just decent.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 12:00]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Mick on 12:52 - Mar 21 with 2005 viewsHerbivore

Mick on 10:17 - Mar 21 by textbackup

Nope

Not sure how you missed it mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick on 13:21 - Mar 21 with 1987 viewsHerbivore

Mick on 09:26 - Mar 21 by judespiveyg

I agree that they definitely had the better squad for those years, (except for maybe 17/18 when they were basically relying on Maddison to bail them out every week) them finishing above us was a fair reflection of ability. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to find it surprising that we couldn't beat them once in eight attempts, you'd assume that on one of those occasions luck would be on Ipswich's side. Newcastle had a better squad than anything Norwich had those years and we outplayed them in 2017.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 9:36]

Luck was never really with us in derby games under Mick to be fair. It's generally not been with us for a while in derby games. The 1-1 draw at Carrow Road when Chambers scored, we conceded an equaliser in the 6th minute of stoppage time in a game with relatively few stoppages that came as a result of brain farts from two of our better players in Bart and Webster. There was a home 1-1 draw with them as well where Douglas had a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside. You'd think we'd get a bit of luck against them over 8 games, but any luck we got was bad luck.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick on 15:40 - Mar 21 with 1952 viewsGarv

Mick on 13:21 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

Luck was never really with us in derby games under Mick to be fair. It's generally not been with us for a while in derby games. The 1-1 draw at Carrow Road when Chambers scored, we conceded an equaliser in the 6th minute of stoppage time in a game with relatively few stoppages that came as a result of brain farts from two of our better players in Bart and Webster. There was a home 1-1 draw with them as well where Douglas had a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside. You'd think we'd get a bit of luck against them over 8 games, but any luck we got was bad luck.

Add Knudsen to that brain fart moment. The ball was still about 12 yards from being out of play and the two defenders had their arms limply in the air praying for the final whistle. No idea what Bart was doing. Watching that back still makes me sick.

Mick on 15:41 - Mar 21 with 1951 viewsGarv

Mick on 10:31 - Mar 21 by braveblue

Who cares?

Quite a few people on this forum by the looks of it!

Wasn't intended to provoke an argument, but I suppose you're taking that risk by posting anything on here, sadly.

Mick on 16:40 - Mar 21 with 1920 viewsJ2BLUE

A derby between two fairly even teams compared to our derby where we put up a team of triers and and runners against their squad filled with Premier League standard players.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick on 17:26 - Mar 21 with 1885 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Mick on 09:37 - Mar 21 by Keaneish

A win is a win or is it? I think Cardiff fans, while grateful for the win, will be breathing a sigh of relief and will know they didn’t deserve it. Scratching out a 1-0 with a long throw into the box - eurgh.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Mick on 17:29 - Mar 21 with 1879 viewshaynes_toe1

Mick on 16:40 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

A derby between two fairly even teams compared to our derby where we put up a team of triers and and runners against their squad filled with Premier League standard players.

Filled with Premier League players is a bit OTT but it is undeniable that Mick was managing us and we were second favourites going into every single derby game. As Herbivore says, we never had that bit of luck in any of the games either.
Mick on 18:14 - Mar 21 with 1848 viewsKeaneish

Mick on 17:26 - Mar 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

“Maybe it was our night, you carry a bit of luck and I am happy to carry a bit of luck.” Seems the big man agrees with me.

Mick on 18:34 - Mar 21 with 1818 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Mick on 18:14 - Mar 21 by Keaneish

“Maybe it was our night, you carry a bit of luck and I am happy to carry a bit of luck.” Seems the big man agrees with me.

Did he add ‘eurgh’ onto the end too?

Mick on 18:48 - Mar 21 with 1807 viewsKeaneish

Mick on 18:34 - Mar 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Did he add ‘eurgh’ onto the end too?

It was an impressive 80 minute rear guard action. He praised the solid defensive display, as any good 80s stopper centre half would. Those were your days weren’t they?

Mick on 19:47 - Mar 21 with 1775 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Mick on 18:48 - Mar 21 by Keaneish

It was an impressive 80 minute rear guard action. He praised the solid defensive display, as any good 80s stopper centre half would. Those were your days weren’t they?

I’ll take that as a no then

Haha indeed
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 19:47]

Mick on 19:57 - Mar 21 with 1757 viewsKeaneish

Mick on 19:47 - Mar 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’ll take that as a no then

Haha indeed
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 19:47]

I don’t believe so but then again, taste is subjective. He did mumble something about anachronism and acknowledge the unsustainably of long ball game in the modern era whilst also recognising he is the last of his era.

Nice talking to you again mate. Enjoy Cook’s brand of attacking, high-press football when you tune in. It’ll be good to know your thoughts on something new he’s brought to Portman Road, you’ll come to know it as, a ‘midfield’.

Mick on 20:21 - Mar 21 with 1733 viewshaynes_toe1

Mick on 19:57 - Mar 21 by Keaneish

I don’t believe so but then again, taste is subjective. He did mumble something about anachronism and acknowledge the unsustainably of long ball game in the modern era whilst also recognising he is the last of his era.

Nice talking to you again mate. Enjoy Cook’s brand of attacking, high-press football when you tune in. It’ll be good to know your thoughts on something new he’s brought to Portman Road, you’ll come to know it as, a ‘midfield’.

Cooks done a real good job of hiding it from us for the past 5 games.

You also suggested the same with Lambert so it doesn't exactly bode well.
Mick on 20:52 - Mar 21 with 1716 viewsKeaneish

Mick on 20:21 - Mar 21 by haynes_toe1

Cooks done a real good job of hiding it from us for the past 5 games.

You also suggested the same with Lambert so it doesn't exactly bode well.

No idea why you’re inventing this weird Lambert trip fella. Every manager is judged objectively. I’ve pointed out lots that Cook has changed already, you don’t seem to see it though even when it’s pointed out to you after the same game we’ve watched. Comparing Cook to Lambert as you seem to be is pretty poor all round.

Good to see the pro-Mick crew banding around each other once more though; admirable although not very progressive.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024