Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... 10:23 - Apr 13 with 4393 viewsKieran_Knows

.. apologies for the EADT link, Phil! I know your story will be up shortly.

[Post edited 13 Apr 2021 11:04]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:39 - Apr 13 with 971 viewsitfcpaul

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:35 - Apr 13 by tractorlad01

Bristol City fans reaction to this is very worrying.

They have actually no idea about running a football club so wht take any notice of what they say

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:42 - Apr 13 with 967 viewsRedX

First time I ever heard of Ashton was when he popped up for a pre-match Interview while at Watford. I even remember turning around to the wife after listening to him and saying “what a ars**** this guy is”. It has stuck in my head since. The worst of modern day football I was thinking. He came across as an absolutely ruthless type of guy.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2021 11:43]
Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:44 - Apr 13 with 939 viewsDanTheMan

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:42 - Apr 13 by RedX

First time I ever heard of Ashton was when he popped up for a pre-match Interview while at Watford. I even remember turning around to the wife after listening to him and saying “what a ars**** this guy is”. It has stuck in my head since. The worst of modern day football I was thinking. He came across as an absolutely ruthless type of guy.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2021 11:43]

I'll take ruthless over toothless.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:46 - Apr 13 with 927 viewshype313

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:44 - Apr 13 by DanTheMan

I'd take ruthless over aloofness.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:48 - Apr 13 with 919 viewsRedX

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:44 - Apr 13 by DanTheMan

No you wouldn’t if the club started going through a couple of managers a season.
Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:51 - Apr 13 with 892 viewshype313

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:48 - Apr 13 by RedX

No you wouldn’t if the club started going through a couple of managers a season.

Well, sticking by guys who have stunk the place out for far too long hasn't exactly worked wonders here.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:51 - Apr 13 with 890 viewsLeoMuff

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:14 - Apr 13 by pointofblue

Would have preferred someone else - fans celebrating an incoming person joining is hardly a positive. We’ll see though; got no choice but to trust the owners on this one.

Rangers fans laughed hard at us taking Martyn Waghorn, look how that turned out

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:52 - Apr 13 with 884 viewsDanTheMan

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:48 - Apr 13 by RedX

I think we can keep trying to cling on to the game as it was, where managers would get a hell of a lot of time to work through issues but the game has moved on.

If we have a proper set up where we are brining in players that adhere to a certain style of play with a long term plan, then the manager is almost interchangeable.

Obviously I'd prefer it if that was not the case but compared to how we work at the moment, I'd absolutely prefer two managers in a season compared to going backwards year on year.

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:02 - Apr 13 with 822 viewschrismakin

Alot of talk about the BC fans opinions

Thing is, when you have a partner who moves on, it's very rare you part on good terms and you tell everyone how amazing they were, all the bad stuff comes out and you paint them the devil. It's a natural thing that happens.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:20 - Apr 13 with 798 viewsRedX

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:52 - Apr 13 by DanTheMan

I think we can keep trying to cling on to the game as it was, where managers would get a hell of a lot of time to work through issues but the game has moved on.

If we have a proper set up where we are brining in players that adhere to a certain style of play with a long term plan, then the manager is almost interchangeable.

Obviously I'd prefer it if that was not the case but compared to how we work at the moment, I'd absolutely prefer two managers in a season compared to going backwards year on year.

Things didn't work out under Evans, and his managerial appointments were poor(besides Mick). That for me is not a reason to go with the complete opposite way of running a club which could mean averaging two managers a season.

There is nothing wrong with stabilty and aiming to get the right man in place, and giving him the proper time and backing to become a success. Watford have lost their personality. It's like looking at a bank playing football. All about money/profit.

I think there is a cause for concern if this guy is appointed. Many will disagree because they see any appointment now as "it's better than being stuck with Evans". Hopefully it will all work out if he comes onboard.
Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:23 - Apr 13 with 782 viewschrismakin

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:20 - Apr 13 by RedX

Things didn't work out under Evans, and his managerial appointments were poor(besides Mick). That for me is not a reason to go with the complete opposite way of running a club which could mean averaging two managers a season.

There is nothing wrong with stabilty and aiming to get the right man in place, and giving him the proper time and backing to become a success. Watford have lost their personality. It's like looking at a bank playing football. All about money/profit.

I think there is a cause for concern if this guy is appointed. Many will disagree because they see any appointment now as "it's better than being stuck with Evans". Hopefully it will all work out if he comes onboard.

Let's be honest

If you're a town fan who wants prem. Then you've got yo wake up to modern football and how it works.

The old times of being a fair. Give managers time club is great for those that arent competitive who want to get to the prem.

I dont know many clubs who go get there by being patient in the latest modern era.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:26 - Apr 13 with 772 viewsitfcpaul

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:20 - Apr 13 by RedX

and why, obviously, with your vast knowledge of running a football club, Mark Ashton himself and nothing else, apart from some fans who probably have no knowledge or intellect to back up their ranting do you think that?

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:30 - Apr 13 with 758 viewsRedX

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:26 - Apr 13 by itfcpaul

and why, obviously, with your vast knowledge of running a football club, Mark Ashton himself and nothing else, apart from some fans who probably have no knowledge or intellect to back up their ranting do you think that?

I've no idea what you actually posted.
Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:33 - Apr 13 with 749 viewsRedX

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:23 - Apr 13 by chrismakin

Let's be honest

If you're a town fan who wants prem. Then you've got yo wake up to modern football and how it works.

The old times of being a fair. Give managers time club is great for those that arent competitive who want to get to the prem.

I dont know many clubs who go get there by being patient in the latest modern era.

There are plenty of clubs that give their managers time whatever the ambitions of the club are.

Giving a manager time does not make you "not competitive".
Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:34 - Apr 13 with 746 viewspointofblue

Mark Ashton came in in January 2016. The club sacked Steve Cotterill with Bristol City threatened with relegation from the Championship and hired Lee Johnson, who stayed on post until July 2020 when he was sacked after picking up two points out of a possible 27. Dean Holden was appointed manager then sacked for a run of twelve defeats in seventeen matches, including six in a row. There seem to be question marks over him but I’m not sure if not giving managers time is one of them.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:36 - Apr 13 with 728 viewsParky

Since Mark Ashton was appointed at Bristol City:

February 2016-July 2020: Lee Johnson
August 2020 - February 2021: Dean Holden
February 2021 - Present: Nigel Pearson

Lee Johnson was given 4 years despite finishing 17th, 11th, 8th and then he was sacked when they were 12th. Worth noting at the time, Lee Johnson was the third longest-serving manager in the English Football League.

Dean Holden, albeit was a bit of a strange appointment was only sacked after letting Bristol City slip from 6th to 12th and lose 6 on the bounce.

Whilst we don’t know what’s around the corner with these new owners, there is nothing to suggest we will be “going through a couple of managers a season”.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2021 12:39]
Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:36 - Apr 13 with 721 viewschrismakin

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:33 - Apr 13 by RedX

There are plenty of clubs that give their managers time whatever the ambitions of the club are.

Giving a manager time does not make you "not competitive".

But what's time to you?
Was lambert given the right amount of time or to much or to little?

Now I'm a PC man. But if hes not got us top 2 by xmas next season, questions will need to be answered.

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:37 - Apr 13 with 721 viewsPhilTWTD

Not sure it's ever been in much doubt. Think he's been involved in the takeover from the start, albeit in an unofficial role.
Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:38 - Apr 13 with 713 viewsDanTheMan

There's nothing to suggest we'll go that way though. We don't have to start sacking managers left right and centre to be ruthless in how we run the club. But you cannot say that as a club we've given managers more time than they deserve. Lambert in particular was a dead man walking since... well amusingly since he got the 5 year contract.

Watford are an interesting one, I think the main issue with them is they are part of a weird group of football clubs that can swap players around which I do think should be against UEFA / FIFA rules.

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:38 - Apr 13 with 707 viewscrossyitfc

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:35 - Apr 13 by tractorlad01

Bristol City fans reaction to this is very worrying.

We celebrated when Mick left.. that went well.

Mark Ashton it is then... on 12:39 - Apr 13 with 705 viewsPlums

Mark Ashton it is then... on 10:27 - Apr 13 by Steve_M

How many threads are we going to have today telling us Bristol City fans don't like him very much?

Quite a few...
For me, he’s clearly a reformer and that’s exactly what we need. It’s also possible that an intelligent guy like this recognises that some things perhaps haven’t worked at Bristol City so will learn from them and not repeat the same mistakes.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Mark Ashton it is then... on 12:41 - Apr 13 with 676 viewschrismakin

Mark Ashton it is then... on 12:39 - Apr 13 by Plums

Quite a few...
For me, he’s clearly a reformer and that’s exactly what we need. It’s also possible that an intelligent guy like this recognises that some things perhaps haven’t worked at Bristol City so will learn from them and not repeat the same mistakes.

Could still yet be interesting. West brom fans have a rumour hes going back there.

Mark Ashton it is then... on 12:51 - Apr 13 with 630 viewsKeaneish

Mark Ashton it is then... on 10:27 - Apr 13 by Steve_M

How many threads are we going to have today telling us Bristol City fans don't like him very much?

Probably as many as there were saying Paul Cook was walking because of Ashton coming in!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 12:53 - Apr 13 with 613 viewstractorlad01

Mark Ashton it is then... EDIT - confirmed leaving Bristol 31st May .... on 11:39 - Apr 13 by itfcpaul

They have actually no idea about running a football club so wht take any notice of what they say

True. Bristol city have come a long way in the last few years now that I think about it.
Will be interesting to see what happens to them in the next few years.
Mark Ashton it is then... on 12:58 - Apr 13 with 588 viewsclive_baker

Mark Ashton it is then... on 10:43 - Apr 13 by MrTown

A success when you look at the facts.

Steady progression under Johnson on the pitch; 18th, 17th, 11th, 8th (then down to 12th last year)

Overseen development on the stadium, and unveiled plans to create an enlarged £100m sports quarter development, with 4,000 capacity venue, four-star hotel etc - suspect that is attractive to Johnson & Co given there plans for their stateside projects.

The first team have just moved into a a brand new training facility - looks sensational.

Think a big attraction to the new owners will be the player trading aspect; big money sales of Aden Flint, Adam Webster, Josh Brownhill, Hordur Magnusson and Jonathan Kodjia, has helped to power the above and supplement the continuing investment.

That's fine but what's he like at teaching PE?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024