Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players released 15:04 - Apr 21 with 45048 viewsgreyhound

Hearing rumours that the next stage of the clear out is awaiting announcement.

Jack lankaster among those names that I've been given as well as a large portion of under 23s

With all of the noise about improving academy when the takeover happened this seems surprising, I wonder if that u23 contingent includes more players that are in or around the first team than anything else.

I know we're seriously lacking quality but I hope in this clear out we don't make some hasty regrettable decisions on some of the younger talent we may have.

These are horrible horrible times as a town fan, where those you pinned your hopes on are falling so far short
Players released on 15:32 - Apr 21 with 2603 viewsStokieBlue

Players released on 15:12 - Apr 21 by ElderGrizzly

Imagine the owners will want to reduce the 50+ pros we have on the books by 30 or so before they go on their wild spending spree?

Given some of the posts last night wouldn't it also show that Cook is here for next season as surely he is making the call on a lot of this?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Players released on 15:34 - Apr 21 with 2576 viewsN2_Blue

We need to get serious. We need players who will get us promoted next season, we cannot keep waiting for potential to arrive...Lankester...Dozzell etc.

Lankester has showed promise and i know he had a bad injury but he has pretty much showed nothing this season....so there is a big risk he will not contribute anything next year.

We need players who will deliver. It's a shame but there is no more time for sentiment...PC and the owners have to get tough and deliver a promotion winning team/squad.

It should of course mean any player being brought in needs to be better than JL etc. If not then the decisions will be wrong but i don't expect that to happen.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 15:36]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Players released on 15:35 - Apr 21 with 2562 viewscatch74

Players released on 15:10 - Apr 21 by saffers12

Has the OP got a history of being reliable?

Spouted some nonsense about ME selling.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Players released on 15:38 - Apr 21 with 2512 viewsjayessess

Players released on 15:29 - Apr 21 by abracaDOBRA_

Payed off possibly. I know that's the plan with some of the first team

can't see why you'd settle up the contract of a player Lankester's age. Why wouldn't you just send him out on loan for a year and see if he surprises you?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Players released on 15:39 - Apr 21 with 2493 viewsDanTheMan

Players released on 15:13 - Apr 21 by Steve_M

18 months out and, other than one good goal at Sunderland, he really hasn't offered very much at all this season.

There's definitely ability there but he's currently so far removed from the fearless teenager of late 2018. He may be another player to have fallen victim to our appalling player recovery process.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 20:39]

I think that's why I'm annoyed, I know there's a player there who has an a pretty unfortunate injury and long recovery.

Just feels bad to me throwing him away when he's just got fit and he's only had cameos in a crap team.

I understand why he might go... just doesn't sit right with me. Would rather we sent him out on loan if possible.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Is this a Friday Poo thread? (n/t) on 15:39 - Apr 21 with 2488 viewsFixed_It

Is this a Friday Poo thread? (n/t) on 15:31 - Apr 21 by Bloots

It's not Friday. So no.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Players released on 15:40 - Apr 21 with 2475 viewsChrisd

Players released on 15:13 - Apr 21 by Steve_M

18 months out and, other than one good goal at Sunderland, he really hasn't offered very much at all this season.

There's definitely ability there but he's currently so far removed from the fearless teenager of late 2018. He may be another player to have fallen victim to our appalling player recovery process.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 20:39]

Yes I agree. Lots get misty-eyed thinking our homegrown players are a cut above, where in reality they aren’t. Our own loyalty towards the club often clouds a logical judgement. In fact, when did we have a youngster really go on to have a blossoming career? Wickham or Rhodes? I tend to agree about JL, lots of calls for him to be selected, but what has he really done when he’s had his opportunities this season? When he burst on to the scene during that relegation season he was like a breath of fresh air, but sadly he’s not really kicked on, but that could be down to his injury.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Players released on 15:40 - Apr 21 with 2510 viewsPhilTWTD

Players released on 15:28 - Apr 21 by JeanManuelThetis

Seems strange that Lankester would be released when his contract runs until 2022?

As I've said before, I think there will literally be a handful of current players still here in August, so younger players in his position will be moved on, although as you say he can't be released as he's in contract. El Mizouni, McGavin, those types of players between the U23s and senior side that probably won't be obvious contenders for a shirt next season I wouldn't expect to stay. Nydam will probably be one of the few in that sort of mould.
Login to get fewer ads

Players released on 15:42 - Apr 21 with 2441 viewsSWGF

Players released on 15:38 - Apr 21 by jayessess

can't see why you'd settle up the contract of a player Lankester's age. Why wouldn't you just send him out on loan for a year and see if he surprises you?

Loaning him out is a good point. Given his age, he'd take a spot in the 20-man squad, so don't think he'd warrant that. However, as he's under contract, one year somewhere to play 30+ games might make everyone's mind up one way or another.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Players released on 15:43 - Apr 21 with 2437 viewsfloridaboy

Shame but wonder if the serious back injury he had has been the cause of some of the problems the boy has been having. Thought I read last week he was stretched off in training.

If the club are serious about promotion next season then sentiment has to go out of the window I am afraid.

If the OP is correct then I think we are in for a few more surprises over the next few days/weeks!
Sure, why not, my little dingleberry (n/t) on 15:43 - Apr 21 with 2420 viewsfooters

Is this a Friday Poo thread? (n/t) on 15:31 - Apr 21 by Bloots

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Players released on 15:43 - Apr 21 with 2422 viewsDanTheMan

Players released on 15:40 - Apr 21 by PhilTWTD

As I've said before, I think there will literally be a handful of current players still here in August, so younger players in his position will be moved on, although as you say he can't be released as he's in contract. El Mizouni, McGavin, those types of players between the U23s and senior side that probably won't be obvious contenders for a shirt next season I wouldn't expect to stay. Nydam will probably be one of the few in that sort of mould.

El Miz too eh?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Players released on 15:43 - Apr 21 with 2420 viewsWallingford_Boy

I think the current crop of U18s look very good, much more so than in recent years, but the next generation up (U23) less so. They are all in or around the first team and not really much to be excited about there. El Miz and Dobra the best of a bad bunch, but hardly setting the world alight.

Lankester has looked well off the pace this season when involved, so no real surprise if he is off. Harsh on him after his injury, but thats football.

It really is a case of pressing the reset button at ITFC!

RIP Sir Bobby

Players released on 15:46 - Apr 21 with 2362 viewsBiGDonnie

Players released on 15:13 - Apr 21 by Swailsey

He pretty much arranged the takeover.

Ha!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Players released on 15:46 - Apr 21 with 2376 viewsN2_Blue

I really hope so Phil.

I keep hearing people say we won't change a whole squad but I think we will... and I hope we will... because there isn't one player I'd be upset to lose, and that includes, Dozzell, Dobra, Downes, Lankester etc.

Any player can be released and i really wouldn't care... a few i might say, shame it didn't work but I wouldn't be in anyway bothered.

The club needs a complete reset and none of these players have shown anything... it may be a touch harsh on Dobra as he's not really had a chance but they all have the clubs rotten culture ingrained into them and that is why we need a fresh start.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 15:50]

Players released on 15:49 - Apr 21 with 2328 viewsjayessess

Players released on 15:42 - Apr 21 by SWGF

Loaning him out is a good point. Given his age, he'd take a spot in the 20-man squad, so don't think he'd warrant that. However, as he's under contract, one year somewhere to play 30+ games might make everyone's mind up one way or another.

if you've got to pay his wages anyway, why not?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Players released on 15:49 - Apr 21 with 2329 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Sounds about right from the various rumours. Who ultimately will be making these final decisions? I assume Cook will have the main input, but presumably final say will be with Ashton and the new owners? And you would hope other staff members such as Klug would be involved.
Players released on 15:49 - Apr 21 with 2340 viewsPhilTWTD

Players released on 15:43 - Apr 21 by DanTheMan

El Miz too eh?

That's what I've heard. Players in that position where they're too good for the U23s - or ought to be anyway - but haven't established themselves in the first team for whatever reason. PC wants a smaller squad of a higher quality so not going to be room for young players who it's hoped might make it here.

To some extent I agree with that. I think there's been a tendency not to make decisions on young players which has contributed to the bloating of the squad.
Players released on 15:49 - Apr 21 with 2306 viewsStokieBlue

Players released on 15:46 - Apr 21 by N2_Blue

I really hope so Phil.

I keep hearing people say we won't change a whole squad but I think we will... and I hope we will... because there isn't one player I'd be upset to lose, and that includes, Dozzell, Dobra, Downes, Lankester etc.

Any player can be released and i really wouldn't care... a few i might say, shame it didn't work but I wouldn't be in anyway bothered.

The club needs a complete reset and none of these players have shown anything... it may be a touch harsh on Dobra as he's not really had a chance but they all have the clubs rotten culture ingrained into them and that is why we need a fresh start.

KVY?

Don't think you're going to find a better RB than him at this level when fit.

SB

Players released on 15:51 - Apr 21 with 2295 viewsPhilTWTD

Players released on 15:46 - Apr 21 by N2_Blue

I really hope so Phil.

Players can only be released if they're out of contract. Contracts can be settled, of course.

I'd like to see Dobra and Dozzell stay from that list and I think they're probably two who are in with a shout.
Players released on 15:52 - Apr 21 with 2284 viewsPhilTWTD

Players released on 15:49 - Apr 21 by JeanManuelThetis

Sounds about right from the various rumours. Who ultimately will be making these final decisions? I assume Cook will have the main input, but presumably final say will be with Ashton and the new owners? And you would hope other staff members such as Klug would be involved.

I assume Cook will have the say on that, although with the younger players the likes of BK, Lee O'Neill, Kieron and Terry will presumably have been involved in the discussions.
Players released on 15:53 - Apr 21 with 2260 viewshype313

Players released on 15:49 - Apr 21 by PhilTWTD

That's what I've heard. Players in that position where they're too good for the U23s - or ought to be anyway - but haven't established themselves in the first team for whatever reason. PC wants a smaller squad of a higher quality so not going to be room for young players who it's hoped might make it here.

To some extent I agree with that. I think there's been a tendency not to make decisions on young players which has contributed to the bloating of the squad.

Indeed, it's been a bit Chelsea lite by hoarding players in the hope.

We need to be ruthless, something we haven't really been in the Evans era.

Most of us cling on to the hope that a youngster will be the next gem, but in reality we need a small, higher quality squad with team ethos and togetherness.

I thought we might keep a few, but even the few I thought would be safe, seem like they could be in trouble.

I genuinely don't think Cook has seen anything in any of them to make him think they have what it takes.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 15:53]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Players released on 15:53 - Apr 21 with 2257 viewsStokieBlue

Players released on 15:51 - Apr 21 by PhilTWTD

Players can only be released if they're out of contract. Contracts can be settled, of course.

I'd like to see Dobra and Dozzell stay from that list and I think they're probably two who are in with a shout.

You think Downes will go?

Going to be a bit change whatever happens.

SB

Players released on 15:54 - Apr 21 with 2245 viewsN2_Blue

Players released on 15:49 - Apr 21 by StokieBlue

KVY?

Don't think you're going to find a better RB than him at this level when fit.

SB

Fair point.... didn't really think about KVY.

If he looks like he's over his injury and not going to break down then yes i'd probably keep KVY as it wouldn't make sense to release him (settle his contract).

However, if he wasn't here next year...I wouldn't be upset. His return to the team seems miles away from the form of his first 8 appearances and added to his injury record i'd consider offers.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 15:58]

Players released on 15:55 - Apr 21 with 2238 viewsPhilTWTD

Players released on 15:53 - Apr 21 by StokieBlue

You think Downes will go?

Going to be a bit change whatever happens.

SB

No, I think he's probably top of PC's list as it stand. He, Dozzell and Dobra are probably the only ones around the first team with any transfer value and who might attract interest from higher up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024