Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 07:59 - May 7 with 4509 viewsBluefish

We have a hard working independent candidate, she is known to everyone and available and very proactive in sorting issues and listening to concerns. Somehow she lost last night to a non local tory that no one has ever met and is non existent

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 09:53 - May 7 with 2307 viewscooperd5

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 08:46 - May 7 by Guthrum

Now that is a good idea.

National party politics are often irrelevant to local issues and contribute to mindless tribalism.

indeed it is. I discussed this with our (current) District Councillor, Conservative but actually has done very good work for the community over the last term. I don't see why the Party needs to be aligned at local levels.
People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 09:54 - May 7 with 2310 viewsGuthrum

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 09:22 - May 7 by Pagan_Blue

I must confess to being a non-voter in the last two General Elections. My reason for this is because my MP, the useless and totally anonymous Dr Dan Poulter, who never responds to emails and does nothing for his constituents,
has a massive majority here in rural East Suffolk. There is therefore absolutely no point under the current electoral system in taking the trouble to vote, it is literally a complete waste of my time.

But the reason he receives a massive majority is because people don't vote for anyone else and there is probably no decent alternative available apart from generic Labour person and generic LibDem person, neither of whom are well-supported (or even perhaps top-calibre) candidates because their parties have, centrally, written off that constituency as "not on their list of marginals".

Two possible approaches to this.

1) Everyone joins the local Conservative Party, mounts a takeover and insists upon the presentation of a candidate who better reflects their views, or at least pays attention to their job of representing those people in Parliament. After all, the party label is irrelevant if they're doing what you want.

2) More difficult, set up an organisation to represent East Suffolk (or UK-wide rural) issues and put up candidates for election. That will take some years to gain traction, but could also pressure the Conservatives into changing their position (much like UKIP did).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 09:57 - May 7 with 2301 viewsborge

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 08:17 - May 7 by ElephantintheRoom

The other answer might be to stop local councils being politicised. That way people who actually care about their community can campaign on local issues with someidependence and integrity and voters wont be ticking a box for a somewhat irrlevant political party - might be beneficial to the way councils are funded too.

Totally this.

I voted Greens yesterday and have done for the past few local elections. I wouldn't consider voting for them in a general election but the guy who represents them round here does so much for the community and that is all that matters. Party politics simply shouldn't be a thing at a local level.

Was also totally amazed/horrified when police commissioners became a thing and realised they were representing political parties. That just seems mental.
People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:01 - May 7 with 2288 viewsGuthrum

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 09:29 - May 7 by HARRY10

There should be the facility (a box) to vote....................none of the above

Rather than dissenting votes being dismissed as spoilt ballots

But until voters take a greater interest in who governs them, then this is what we will get.

Only if "None of the Above" actually has some effect - maybe triggering a fresh election. That would really concentrate their minds.

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:01 - May 7 with 2290 viewslongtimefan

I must confess to being a non-voter in the last two General Elections. My reason for this is because my MP, the useless and totally anonymous Dr Dan Poulter, who never responds to emails and does nothing for his constituents,
has a massive majority here in rural East Suffolk. There is therefore absolutely no point under the current electoral system in taking the trouble to vote, it is literally a complete waste of my time.

Poulter is Mid Suffolk and North Ipswich. East Suffolk unfortunately has to endure the even worse Therese Coffey.
People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:04 - May 7 with 2276 viewsSwansea_Blue

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 08:17 - May 7 by ElephantintheRoom

The other answer might be to stop local councils being politicised. That way people who actually care about their community can campaign on local issues with someidependence and integrity and voters wont be ticking a box for a somewhat irrlevant political party - might be beneficial to the way councils are funded too.

Early contender for post of the day (although we haven't had the Friday poo thread yet)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:07 - May 7 with 2265 viewsLord_Lucan

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 08:51 - May 7 by Bluefish

She was 1460ish and the tory 1700ish

That's impressive though. She should stick at it.

I wouldn't mind having a bash as an independent.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 10:08]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:09 - May 7 with 2250 viewsSarge

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 08:04 - May 7 by noggin

The public gets what the public wants.

Not with FPTP it doesn’t
Login to get fewer ads

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:25 - May 7 with 2223 viewsLeaky

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 09:38 - May 7 by BlueBadger

I'll rephrase, it takes a special kind of thicko to turn out in traditionally poorly attended votes...

So I take it a thicko is some one didn't vote for same party/candidate as you.
People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:28 - May 7 with 2216 viewsBarneycurley

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 09:54 - May 7 by Guthrum

But the reason he receives a massive majority is because people don't vote for anyone else and there is probably no decent alternative available apart from generic Labour person and generic LibDem person, neither of whom are well-supported (or even perhaps top-calibre) candidates because their parties have, centrally, written off that constituency as "not on their list of marginals".

Two possible approaches to this.

1) Everyone joins the local Conservative Party, mounts a takeover and insists upon the presentation of a candidate who better reflects their views, or at least pays attention to their job of representing those people in Parliament. After all, the party label is irrelevant if they're doing what you want.

2) More difficult, set up an organisation to represent East Suffolk (or UK-wide rural) issues and put up candidates for election. That will take some years to gain traction, but could also pressure the Conservatives into changing their position (much like UKIP did).

Nice bit of democracy right there. hey!

Poor Emmeline 😇

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:32 - May 7 with 2203 viewsBarneycurley

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:25 - May 7 by Leaky

So I take it a thicko is some one didn't vote for same party/candidate as you.

Its reflective of the wider (generalising) board where anyone that dare descents or holds a different view gets belittled as a thicko or knuckle dragger.

Its textbook TWTD in the 21st century

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:45 - May 7 with 2180 viewsGuthrum

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:28 - May 7 by Barneycurley

Nice bit of democracy right there. hey!

Poor Emmeline 😇

The problem is that political parties have become rigid, tribal structures, far removed from the historical issues which originally prompted their formation. The Labour Party exists to provide an alternative to the Conservatives and vice-versa. Both sides are competing to run the same system in a broadly similar fashion, only arguing over who is more competent.

They are also alliances of disparate interest groups and, as a result, riven by internal conflict. They can't even achieve a consensus among their own followers, let alone the wider country. No wonder some people get turned off by that.

They aren't fit for purpose.

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:58 - May 7 with 2170 viewsGeoffSentence

People just dont associate politicians with the problems they have in life.

On May 5th a friend of mine was getting very worked up about companies with a fire and rehire policy. Very worked up. Apoplectic.

On May 6th he voted, as he always does and always will, for the party that are least likely to want to do anything about it.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 10:59]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:59 - May 7 with 2158 viewsTieDyedIn95

Welcome to every seat in England.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:06 - May 7 with 2135 viewsElephantintheRoom

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 08:44 - May 7 by Guthrum

Thing is, the 56% who didn't vote for the Conservatives aren't a unified bloc (notwithstanding Labour's cherished tribal belief that all non-Tories are duty-bound to support them).

Non-voters are simply that. People who couldn't be bothered to take an interest in the governance of their own country or community. All this about "long past caring" is rubbish. If nobody is offering what you want, set something up, or support independent candidates, or join the local party and turn it towards you aims (Momentum managed to steer Labour in their preferred direction doing that, as did the Brexiteer wing of the Conservatives).

Not disagreeing with your point that things are tilted against change, with the electoral system, party finances and gerrymandering*. But so they have been many times and reform was still achieved.

* Tho that is more a result of failing (or refusing) to adapt to demographic changes than deliberate construction.

I'm afraid you overstimate the deep-seated apathy of the great British public... the reason that only 1/3rd of the electorate vote in local elections is that so many people don't care about them - same with Euro elections in those far off days when we had them - though the proportional representation ironically gave fringe parties like UKIP and dare I say it the LIb Dems a platform. Same thing with nationl elections - if the same party gets in every time - the motivation to vote disappears over time.

I'm pretty sure that Labour's problems, other than far left extermisim and a tendancy to self destruct is the name. If they were called something less akin to trade unionism and ferret enthusiasm, - The Democratic Party, for example, there problems might be over.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:09 - May 7 with 2126 viewsTieDyedIn95

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:06 - May 7 by ElephantintheRoom

I'm afraid you overstimate the deep-seated apathy of the great British public... the reason that only 1/3rd of the electorate vote in local elections is that so many people don't care about them - same with Euro elections in those far off days when we had them - though the proportional representation ironically gave fringe parties like UKIP and dare I say it the LIb Dems a platform. Same thing with nationl elections - if the same party gets in every time - the motivation to vote disappears over time.

I'm pretty sure that Labour's problems, other than far left extermisim and a tendancy to self destruct is the name. If they were called something less akin to trade unionism and ferret enthusiasm, - The Democratic Party, for example, there problems might be over.

I think the Tories should change their name as well to something along the likes of the Democratic Economic Liberal Party.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:11 - May 7 with 2123 viewsFreddies_Ears

I have voted in every single election since 1979. In parliamentary elections, I have never yet had a vote count. Only in European elections, on a PR system, have I ever had a vote count.
There is absolutely no point in me ever voting again. But I will still do so, every single time.
People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:16 - May 7 with 2119 viewswitchdoctor

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 08:28 - May 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Not really - there is little point in voting if your views are never, ever represented. Turn out was a third - winner will have got a third of a third of the vote in a 'landslide'

Even in the general election Johnson and his cabal of incompetent liars only got 44% of the vote - which is portrayed as a landslide and a mandate from the British people - which is hardly motivational for the vast majority of voters who didnt vote conservative - nor the 50% who have long got past caring and didnt vote. The government's landslide mandate is effectively given by 20% of the electorate and largely protected by carefully constructed constituency borders - and first past the post.

only a third of the vote??
People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:21 - May 7 with 2106 viewswitchdoctor

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 08:28 - May 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Not really - there is little point in voting if your views are never, ever represented. Turn out was a third - winner will have got a third of a third of the vote in a 'landslide'

Even in the general election Johnson and his cabal of incompetent liars only got 44% of the vote - which is portrayed as a landslide and a mandate from the British people - which is hardly motivational for the vast majority of voters who didnt vote conservative - nor the 50% who have long got past caring and didnt vote. The government's landslide mandate is effectively given by 20% of the electorate and largely protected by carefully constructed constituency borders - and first past the post.

she got well over 50% of the actual vote didn’t she?
People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:26 - May 7 with 2101 viewsElephantintheRoom

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:01 - May 7 by Guthrum

Only if "None of the Above" actually has some effect - maybe triggering a fresh election. That would really concentrate their minds.

I think 'none of the above' is an excellent option.. Doesnt our former prison colony have this option?

I'd take it further and reduce the number of MPs in direct proportion to the 'none of the above' with a view to reducing the number of MPs down to a far more manageable number - if the USA can get by with 100 senators I'm sure a the UK can manage with 500 fewer MPs

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:27 - May 7 with 2093 viewsEwan_Oozami

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:26 - May 7 by ElephantintheRoom

I think 'none of the above' is an excellent option.. Doesnt our former prison colony have this option?

I'd take it further and reduce the number of MPs in direct proportion to the 'none of the above' with a view to reducing the number of MPs down to a far more manageable number - if the USA can get by with 100 senators I'm sure a the UK can manage with 500 fewer MPs

Senators are not equivalent to MPs..

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:31 - May 7 with 2080 viewshype313

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:26 - May 7 by ElephantintheRoom

They also make it law to vote, hefty fines if they don't.

Something we should also look at, as all we hear is can't be bothered, yet moan about the winning party. If everyone got of their ar5e then we might, just might see some kind of change.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:34 - May 7 with 2072 viewsManchesterblue

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 11:31 - May 7 by hype313

They also make it law to vote, hefty fines if they don't.

Something we should also look at, as all we hear is can't be bothered, yet moan about the winning party. If everyone got of their ar5e then we might, just might see some kind of change.

Off.

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 12:34 - May 7 with 2025 viewsPagan_Blue

People are thick as pig sh*t part 8482401 on 10:01 - May 7 by longtimefan

Poulter is Mid Suffolk and North Ipswich. East Suffolk unfortunately has to endure the even worse Therese Coffey.

Dan Poulter is indeed my MP (unfortuntely) I live on the edge of Rushmere ST Andrew, using the word 'rural' in my original post was perhaps misleading.
I take your point about Terese Coffee.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024