Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... 20:50 - May 10 with 5920 viewsitfcjoe

....feel as though we've retained a few players with intention of still shifting them and that feels a risky strategy with so many players out of contract in this close season if we are anticipating even picking up nominal fees for some.

Squad is still quite bloated already, and if Cook wants to bring in 10 players or so we need to start shifting some players - feels as though that is not an easy task

I make it the below as genuine first teamers:

GK
Holy
Cornell

RB
Vincent Young
Donacien

LB
Kenlock

CB
Woolfenden
Nsiala
Ndaba

CMs
Nolan
Downes
Dozzell
McGavin

AMs
(Edwards)
Lankester
Bishop
El Mizouni
Dobra

FWs
Jackson
Norwood
Drinan
Hawkins

But 21 players who you would say are not going to be in U23s next year, before you consider those who may break through from below there as well i.e. Baggott, Gibbs, Simpson

Could easily lose (or could have done before today in some cases!) a keeper, Donacien, Drinan, Hawkins, Jackson, McGavin, Edwards and not be much worse off.

I hope we don't go into next season with 30 players in the first team squad

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 20:54 - May 10 with 4452 viewshype313

I'm quite surprised about the retained players, he has said he wants a squad of 20 and as you say we have 21 after the clear out, he must be hopeful of a few sales and we don't know yet who is surplus from the contracted list.

But not Demolition Man by any stretch..

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 20:56 - May 10 with 4419 viewsKropotkin123

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 20:54 - May 10 by hype313

I'm quite surprised about the retained players, he has said he wants a squad of 20 and as you say we have 21 after the clear out, he must be hopeful of a few sales and we don't know yet who is surplus from the contracted list.

Yeah, I was hoping for a deeper clean.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 20:56 - May 10 with 4416 viewstractorboy1978

I think several of those will be off. We must be pretty confident we can get something for Jackson, Nsiala and Donacien. I'd imagine for the likes of Hawkins, Nolan, McGavin, one of Holy/Cornell we will test the market and see where we are and if needs be partially settle contracts to get them out. Lankester, Ndaba, Dobra, El Mizouni could easily go out on loan too.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 21:00]
Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 20:58 - May 10 with 4398 viewshomer_123

Let's not delude ourselves how difficult a task rebuilding this squad will be.

There seems to be an assumption that our financial situation coupled with so many players out of contract means we should find it easy to attract the right players.

It might not be the case. We could easily find ourselves fighting off many other clubs for the players we want and need. Just because there will be a dearth of players on the market doesn't mean they will be the ones we want.

I hope we don't rue the missed opportunity this year with the absolute non-attempt at getting in the play-offs when Cook arrived.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 20:59 - May 10 with 4353 viewsKropotkin123

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 20:58 - May 10 by homer_123

There seems to be an assumption that our financial situation coupled with so many players out of contract means we should find it easy to attract the right players.

It might not be the case. We could easily find ourselves fighting off many other clubs for the players we want and need. Just because there will be a dearth of players on the market doesn't mean they will be the ones we want.

I hope we don't rue the missed opportunity this year with the absolute non-attempt at getting in the play-offs when Cook arrived.

That's a good point.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:01 - May 10 with 4325 viewsGuthrum

Perhaps there has already been interest in some of the players we want to offload? Particularly Jackson and Donacien, having opted to extend.

I wouldn't be surprised with a squad of 25 to 30 next season, including under-21s (five of those on your list are). Maybe one or two just to beef up cup teams (or as emergency reserves) but not on the list for the League.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:05 - May 10 with 4249 viewsLeoMuff

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 20:58 - May 10 by homer_123

This. Now we all hope things will be very different under the new owners, but it was a huge task to get even 1 or 2 quality first teamers in in the last few summers.

Competition is high for the decent players, hopefully Cook will be a draw for some, and we will pay well for league 1. Anybody who a champ team wants will be going there not to us.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:06 - May 10 with 4230 viewsBseaBlue

We know the summer is going to bring a number of changes so for me, taking a gamble on players by way of hoping we get a few quid for them just adds unnecessary pressure.

Add in the fact that we could see offers or move on those that were already under contract in Downes, Dozzell and Hawkins and its just making the window an even riskier process.

Perhaps Ashton fancies his chances with shifting them on! Here is hoping anyway!
Login to get fewer ads

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:12 - May 10 with 4174 viewsitfcjoe

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:01 - May 10 by Guthrum

Perhaps there has already been interest in some of the players we want to offload? Particularly Jackson and Donacien, having opted to extend.

I wouldn't be surprised with a squad of 25 to 30 next season, including under-21s (five of those on your list are). Maybe one or two just to beef up cup teams (or as emergency reserves) but not on the list for the League.

It's actually only 3 on there who will count as U21 - El Mizouni, Dobra and Jack Lankester as per the EFL rules

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:13 - May 10 with 4133 viewsJDB23

Blackpool re-built their entire team and finished 3rd. We should have more funds and pulling power than Blackpool, this league is also very poor.

I do worry we have or are going to keep too many proven failures.
Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:18 - May 10 with 4060 viewsGuthrum

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:12 - May 10 by itfcjoe

It's actually only 3 on there who will count as U21 - El Mizouni, Dobra and Jack Lankester as per the EFL rules

Ah yes, they just miss out by a matter of days.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:18 - May 10 with 4068 viewsBlueFrankie26

A considerable number of those players have been informed they are not in future plans, so won't be here next season
Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:21 - May 10 with 4012 viewsParky

If I was to hazard a guess, I’d go with: Jackson, Hawkins, Holy, Lankester, El Mizouni departing, which would allow us to sign 7 new players.

Edit - Scrap that, I have just seen your comments on El Miz and Lankester.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 21:23]
Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:22 - May 10 with 3990 viewsitfcjoe

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:18 - May 10 by Guthrum

Ah yes, they just miss out by a matter of days.

Ndaba's birthday is Xmas day.....if he was a week younger he would be an U21

So ridiculous that all football age groups in English football is done on school years (i.e. September 1st) but this rule is done on calendar years.

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:26 - May 10 with 3923 viewsKieran_Knows

I genuinely don’t think we’ll see more than 6-8 of those as part of the wider squad next season. Big job for Ashton to start shifting them.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:39 - May 10 with 3789 viewsitfcjoe

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:26 - May 10 by Kieran_Knows

I genuinely don’t think we’ll see more than 6-8 of those as part of the wider squad next season. Big job for Ashton to start shifting them.

Thjat might be the plan - but do you really see us selling 13-15 players?

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:44 - May 10 with 3703 viewsBlueFrankie26

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:39 - May 10 by itfcjoe

Some will be sold, some will be allowed to leave for free
Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:51 - May 10 with 3639 viewsPhilTWTD

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:39 - May 10 by itfcjoe

I do wonder what money they'd get for some of those taken the options on.
Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 22:20 - May 10 with 3350 viewsdavblue

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:51 - May 10 by PhilTWTD

Jackson 250k to 500k now if we are lucky.

I don’t see Donacien going for any more than 100k again if we are lucky.
Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 22:33 - May 10 with 3253 viewsRadlett_blue

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 20:54 - May 10 by hype313

Indeed, the squad of players (ex U23s) already looks large enough so the thinking must be that a good number of in-contract players will be shipped out or even offered free transfers. Also we don't know if Downes, for example, will be sold (our one player worth a decent fee).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 07:15 - May 11 with 2824 viewsKieran_Knows

I suspect some will be shifted for nothing (or the hope they’ll get their contracts took on by someone else) and maybe 3-4 will be shifted for relatively small fees.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 07:26 - May 11 with 2761 viewsBluefish

If I'd seen this I needn't have typed out the same 20 players. Completely agree though already looks a big squad, we let loads go but added back in JD, McGavin, Ndaba and El Mizouni who were all out on loan
[Post edited 11 May 2021 7:28]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 08:23 - May 11 with 2580 viewsWeWereZombies

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 22:20 - May 10 by davblue

Jackson 250k to 500k now if we are lucky.

I don’t see Donacien going for any more than 100k again if we are lucky.

C'mon. Plus sell-on clauses...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 08:35 - May 11 with 2520 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:22 - May 10 by itfcjoe

Ndaba's birthday is Xmas day.....if he was a week younger he would be an U21

So ridiculous that all football age groups in English football is done on school years (i.e. September 1st) but this rule is done on calendar years.

Other sports are the same - which is frustrating until 18!

But there will always be winners and losers
Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 08:40 - May 11 with 2496 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Be interested to see how squad looks at start of next season.... on 21:51 - May 10 by PhilTWTD

Absolutely peanuts which is why it’s odd they didn’t simply move them on and get on with it. It is so important that the first day back at pre-season is a new beginning and, for me, having some of those players present negatively impacts that.

Very surprised and by the decisions. And I know how involved the new regime was which concerns me more.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024