Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very disappointed 17:23 - May 12 with 8547 viewsHalifaxBlue

that the club has given a contract to a man who barely two years ago was convicted of sending death threats to his wife.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Very disappointed on 17:29 - May 12 with 4373 viewschrismakin

Who?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Very disappointed on 17:32 - May 12 with 4344 viewsSitfcB

Zzzzz

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Very disappointed on 17:33 - May 12 with 4335 viewsHalifaxBlue

Very disappointed on 17:29 - May 12 by chrismakin

Who?

Francis Jeffers. As well as drink-driving charges.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-50240471

Very disappointed on 17:35 - May 12 with 4317 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I don't think they were genuine deaths threats, if they were judged to be so by the judge I suspect the punishment would have been stronger.

They did represent abusive behaviour however, which also shouldn't be condoned.

However, a core value of any society should be the opportunity for someone to rehabilitate themselves and move on following punishment.

It's hard to balance the above.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Very disappointed on 17:36 - May 12 with 4301 viewsSitfcB

Very disappointed on 17:33 - May 12 by HalifaxBlue

Francis Jeffers. As well as drink-driving charges.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-50240471

Why hasn’t anyone mentioned this before? ffs.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Very disappointed on 17:39 - May 12 with 4247 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If we only have Mother Theresa types working for the club we're going to struggle to fill positions. I don't condone what he did but it's his personal life and nothing to do with his ability to the job.

Also, as someone else said, everyone makes mistakes. Are you suggesting he should never be employed again?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Very disappointed on 17:40 - May 12 with 4236 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very disappointed on 17:39 - May 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

If we only have Mother Theresa types working for the club we're going to struggle to fill positions. I don't condone what he did but it's his personal life and nothing to do with his ability to the job.

Also, as someone else said, everyone makes mistakes. Are you suggesting he should never be employed again?

#cancelculture

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Very disappointed on 17:42 - May 12 with 4201 viewsHalifaxBlue

Very disappointed on 17:35 - May 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

I don't think they were genuine deaths threats, if they were judged to be so by the judge I suspect the punishment would have been stronger.

They did represent abusive behaviour however, which also shouldn't be condoned.

However, a core value of any society should be the opportunity for someone to rehabilitate themselves and move on following punishment.

It's hard to balance the above.

The BBC article quotes him saying she "would be in a coffin". If that isn't a death threat then I'm not quite sure. However even if it doesn't constitute a death threat it is still unacceptable.

I personally don't think that a 625 pound fine actually is much of a punishment to a presumably wealthy man at all, certainly not enough to say that we as a society won't accept this kind of behaviour.

I understand your point, and accept that it's reasonable. But I don't think that people regularly do face "justice" for acts like this, thus I see it as important to make displeasure known.

Login to get fewer ads

Very disappointed on 17:43 - May 12 with 4171 viewsElephantintheRoom

Well I tend to agree - but this is the club who saw nothing wrong in employing Lee Bowyer and Ben Thatcher. Standards have slipped quite a way.

Maybe those media savvy, right-on USA debt-peddlars will think its not an entirely family friendly appointment..

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Very disappointed on 17:44 - May 12 with 4163 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very disappointed on 17:42 - May 12 by HalifaxBlue

The BBC article quotes him saying she "would be in a coffin". If that isn't a death threat then I'm not quite sure. However even if it doesn't constitute a death threat it is still unacceptable.

I personally don't think that a 625 pound fine actually is much of a punishment to a presumably wealthy man at all, certainly not enough to say that we as a society won't accept this kind of behaviour.

I understand your point, and accept that it's reasonable. But I don't think that people regularly do face "justice" for acts like this, thus I see it as important to make displeasure known.

I can't pretend to be a lawyer, but I suspect there is a legal test as to whether there was any genuine intent behind the message. Hence, unlikely to be a genuine death threat.

Very disappointed on 17:45 - May 12 with 4167 viewsIllinoisblue

A general question, but do people only hold footballers to these standards? What if your local pub landlord had some history? The bloke who fixes your car? Heck, maybe even some of your friends and family have made mistakes?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Very disappointed on 17:46 - May 12 with 4138 viewsHalifaxBlue

Very disappointed on 17:39 - May 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

If there are equally qualified candidates for a job, and one of them has been recently convicted of a crime such as this, then yes I believe they should be passed over for the job. And I don't think anyone on here would argue Franny Jeffers was the most qualified candidate available.

A question for you - do you feel that 625 pounds is an appropriate punishment for a presumably wealthy man who has threatened his wife's life?

Very disappointed on 17:47 - May 12 with 4115 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Very disappointed on 17:45 - May 12 by Illinoisblue

A general question, but do people only hold footballers to these standards? What if your local pub landlord had some history? The bloke who fixes your car? Heck, maybe even some of your friends and family have made mistakes?

They aren’t generally role models though.
Very disappointed on 17:48 - May 12 with 4106 viewsHalifaxBlue

Very disappointed on 17:44 - May 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

I can't pretend to be a lawyer, but I suspect there is a legal test as to whether there was any genuine intent behind the message. Hence, unlikely to be a genuine death threat.

I follow your point. I'm not particularly concerned with the legal situation behind it. The man told his wife he was going to put her in a coffin, that is enough for me.

I'm not trying to convict him again. I'm just trying to point a light and ask if we really need to make excuses for this man.

Very disappointed on 17:49 - May 12 with 4084 viewsSouthBucksBlue

They aren’t generally role models though.
Very disappointed on 17:51 - May 12 with 4052 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's something that perhaps older fans might be more judgmental on? Ipswich Town used to be a football club with standards and a reputation for being run 'the right way'. For supporters of a certain age that is, or was, an important part of the club.

But as the right-on, long-distance new part -owner, part debt peddlar said - that's a long time ago,

Then again football is strangely different. You wuldnt spend 90 mis screaming abuse at a plumber thinking it would improve his performance 0 but it is clearly important in fpotball.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Very disappointed on 17:52 - May 12 with 4039 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very disappointed on 17:48 - May 12 by HalifaxBlue

I follow your point. I'm not particularly concerned with the legal situation behind it. The man told his wife he was going to put her in a coffin, that is enough for me.

I'm not trying to convict him again. I'm just trying to point a light and ask if we really need to make excuses for this man.

As I said, I think it's abusive and deserved to be punished.

I also think intent is very important too.

Happy to agree to differ.

Very disappointed on 17:54 - May 12 with 4020 viewsMullet

I think the timescale is as pertinent as the offences. There is every chance that moving to the other end of the country and very different environs is exactly what he needs.

But it is disappointing that the club will support all kinds of causes but not consider the optics behind this.

Those telling objectors to shut up, or being ironically more aggressive sort of the strengthen the argument don't they?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Very disappointed on 17:54 - May 12 with 3997 viewschrismakin

Very disappointed on 17:52 - May 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

As I said, I think it's abusive and deserved to be punished.

I also think intent is very important too.

Happy to agree to differ.

Where do you stand on mental abuse?

As a victim, his wife was genuinely scared for her life. So ignoring the 'intent' of jeffers to do anything. It was still mentally abusive towards here.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Very disappointed on 17:56 - May 12 with 3960 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'd imagine all of us have done and said some very silly things, including Halifax.

Very disappointed on 17:57 - May 12 with 3961 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very disappointed on 17:54 - May 12 by chrismakin

Where do you stand on mental abuse?

As a victim, his wife was genuinely scared for her life. So ignoring the 'intent' of jeffers to do anything. It was still mentally abusive towards here.

As I have said a number of times in this very thread, it was abusive behaviour which should not be condoned and should be punished.

Very disappointed on 18:02 - May 12 with 3899 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Very disappointed on 17:46 - May 12 by HalifaxBlue

If there are equally qualified candidates for a job, and one of them has been recently convicted of a crime such as this, then yes I believe they should be passed over for the job. And I don't think anyone on here would argue Franny Jeffers was the most qualified candidate available.

A question for you - do you feel that 625 pounds is an appropriate punishment for a presumably wealthy man who has threatened his wife's life?

You're treating it like a regular job. Cook has chosen Jeffers for particular reasons. If it was for my or your job then yes I imagine a criminal record wouldn't fly versus someone without one.

You've asked me a question but failed to answer mine. "Are you suggesting he should never be employed again?"

I will answer yours: No, I don't feel that 625 pounds is an appropriate punishment for a presumably wealthy man, but that's an issue with the law not ITFC.

Very disappointed on 18:02 - May 12 with 3910 viewsZXBlue

Agreed. Not as if he is free of other troubling history either, and his attitude as a player was oftne questioned as I recall.

Not impressed by this one. With an inexperienced Roberts as well, it looks a bit like recruiting scouse mates.
Very disappointed on 18:03 - May 12 with 3897 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Very disappointed on 17:57 - May 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

As I have said a number of times in this very thread, it was abusive behaviour which should not be condoned and should be punished.

Agreed. The more you look at it, the more it stinks. You have to question everyone's judgement who said ok to this.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Very disappointed on 18:05 - May 12 with 3868 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very disappointed on 18:03 - May 12 by OriginalMarkyP

Agreed. The more you look at it, the more it stinks. You have to question everyone's judgement who said ok to this.

I do also believe in people's chance to rehabilitate following punishment.

I would hope that the club may have further detail that gives them confidence in his character at this point in time.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024