Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not 13:48 - May 13 with 4662 viewspatrickswell

As risky as this may seem, Cook has one big advantage over Keane and Hurst in that he has been able to assess the squad over a decent number of games. When he arrived, he set a target of making the top 6 at least and it was eminently achievable given the amount of games that were left and where we were placed. The squad failed to meet that challenge. We saw a number of listless performances and our second longest scoreless run in our history. I think that this allied with the previous 2 years of underperformance and failure has forced Cook’s thinking and he may well feel that it will ultimately be easier to succeed with a group of players who come in together and start working with no baggage, rather than trying to lift a squad of players who have been seemingly unable to motivate themselves under 3 different managers and at a lower level of football.

He’s seen what these players were like when there was an incentive to succeed and that the new manager bounce failed to materialise. He can’t trust them not to let him down again next season, so better to clear the decks and rebuild from scratch. At least he has some insight into the issues that were at the club. Keane and Hurst didn’t have that excuse. They failed to build relationships and made their judgements based on a mixture of their instincts and what they had seen during pre-season. The improvements they needed to engender were much smaller than the improvements Cook needs to produce, and I don’t think this squad by and large would be capable of producing that improvement together.

If the clearout happens, it will temper my expectations for next season as they will need to time to gel. Here’s hoping it ends up as a Blackpool or Lincoln scenario.
Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 13:52 - May 13 with 3336 viewsMillsTash

Who'd have thought a few years ago we would be using the following phrase "Here’s hoping it ends up as a Blackpool or Lincoln scenario"
Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:09 - May 13 with 3248 viewsSaigonTractor

He also has the advantage of actual financial backing, whereas the other managers couldn't get rid of this much of the squad even if they wanted to.
Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:18 - May 13 with 3209 viewsBlueBadger

Plus, Cook might be considerably more competent than Famous Roy and Little Roy.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:22 - May 13 with 3185 viewsMookamoo

Cook also has the advantage there is now a proper backroom structure in place.
Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:24 - May 13 with 3157 viewsEly_Blue

Cook has the advantage of being more widely respected within football management and footballing circles as a manager than those 2 put together

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:37 - May 13 with 3107 viewsBlueBadger

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:09 - May 13 by SaigonTractor

He also has the advantage of actual financial backing, whereas the other managers couldn't get rid of this much of the squad even if they wanted to.

Both Keane and Hurst were heavily backed in their clear-outs. As was lambert, he actively chose to keep most of this lot on.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:39 - May 13 with 3074 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Plus we had Evans then, now we have new ambitious owners who will bring in higher quality signings, and actually have some structure around the place now
Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:49 - May 13 with 3012 viewspatrickswell

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 13:52 - May 13 by MillsTash

Who'd have thought a few years ago we would be using the following phrase "Here’s hoping it ends up as a Blackpool or Lincoln scenario"

That's Marcus Evans's gift to us all, right there.
Login to get fewer ads

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:51 - May 13 with 2988 viewsitfcjoe

I think the things in his favour are:

- He must have the backing of new CEO/Owners

- We are at an historic low at the club

It's a massive risk to be doing it the way he is though - wake me up in August!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:55 - May 13 with 2948 viewsipswichtillidie

Maybe because Cook can afford to reset it. Ever thought we may have a bigger budget than before! The boys for EADT eluded to it on the podcast. The player targets may surprise a few for the level we are at. Previous managers tended to waste money and over spend on individuals. Until Ashton and Cook put their stamp on it making comparisons isn’t fair. We also have a mid table league 1 squad and for me they can all jog on out of here.. Cook seems to have the same opinion so you lot can moan/analyse all you want the squads getting ripped up and we are moving on….
[Post edited 13 May 2021 14:56]

Gav

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:01 - May 13 with 2890 viewsEdwardStone

Some excellent points you raise Mr Swell

One of the more curious things for me has been the fact that we started both the previous 2 seasons at a gallop, racking up a good haul of points

And then we had a slump from which our players simply could not....or maybe would not, lift themselves out from

Reliability, consistency, the ability to dig deep and get a result. Our departing players seemed to lack this.

So let's get some better ones
Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:04 - May 13 with 2866 viewsSitfcB

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:51 - May 13 by itfcjoe

This time next year this’ll all be forgotten* and we’ll all be buzzing.

Some of your tweets may not be

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:07 - May 13 with 2836 viewsSaigonTractor

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:37 - May 13 by BlueBadger

Both Keane and Hurst were heavily backed in their clear-outs. As was lambert, he actively chose to keep most of this lot on.

We have significantly more resources now than at any point under Evans.

"Backing" under Evans was generally £10 and some extra packets of crisps to offer to Peterborough.
Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:09 - May 13 with 2818 viewspointofblue

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:04 - May 13 by SitfcB

To be honest, the majority of us who are concerned about the direction the club is going WANT to be wrong. We WANT to be mocked “told you so” as 100 points and 100 goals comes to fruition. We WANT to take the League by storm.

But this does have a feel of Keane and Hurst about it, two managers who came here with a good managerial record up to that point. Cook’s is the best of all of them admittedly, but the rip up and start again approach has not worked well for us so far.

We’ll see what happens, from a personal angle I will try to show faith in the process - but the nagging doubts will still be there.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:10 - May 13 with 2804 viewsitfcjoe

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:04 - May 13 by SitfcB

There seems to be a portion of the fanbase I live 'rent free' in the head off, I've muted a number today

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:45 - May 13 with 2609 viewsSWGF

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:10 - May 13 by itfcjoe

There seems to be a portion of the fanbase I live 'rent free' in the head off, I've muted a number today

What did Joe say? ^^^

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:45 - May 13 with 2602 viewsBlueWorldOrder

I think many are just justifying their own support of it. We finished a couple points off playoffs and not a million miles from automatic and that has been the case for two seasons. We have had our best players injured, it happens, we had to plug gaps with loans and thats where we failed to recruit well. Punishing good young players like Downes, Wolfie, Lankester because he couldn't get it right is proof the man is an outright egomaniac. Maybe if they threatened their wives they'd still have a job here. Cook out. He'll be done in 8 months when the new owners figure out hes a fraud.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:47 - May 13 with 2586 viewsGarv

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:09 - May 13 by pointofblue

To be honest, the majority of us who are concerned about the direction the club is going WANT to be wrong. We WANT to be mocked “told you so” as 100 points and 100 goals comes to fruition. We WANT to take the League by storm.

But this does have a feel of Keane and Hurst about it, two managers who came here with a good managerial record up to that point. Cook’s is the best of all of them admittedly, but the rip up and start again approach has not worked well for us so far.

We’ll see what happens, from a personal angle I will try to show faith in the process - but the nagging doubts will still be there.

It's a bigger rebuild than those two tried/achieved though isn't it.

It's noteworthy, and alarming, how quickly Cook turned on the players. Keane famously transfer listed 3/4 players and said they'd never play again (I'm pretty sure they did), and I don't really recall Jewell taking the ripping up approach, so I'm not sure the situations can be compared.

It's hard not to feel uneasy about the notion of binning off basically the entire squad, though.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 16:01 - May 13 with 2484 viewspointofblue

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:47 - May 13 by Garv

It's a bigger rebuild than those two tried/achieved though isn't it.

It's noteworthy, and alarming, how quickly Cook turned on the players. Keane famously transfer listed 3/4 players and said they'd never play again (I'm pretty sure they did), and I don't really recall Jewell taking the ripping up approach, so I'm not sure the situations can be compared.

It's hard not to feel uneasy about the notion of binning off basically the entire squad, though.

Though to be fair, take KVY, Downes and maybe Woolfenden out of the equation and I doubt many fans would care if the rest did leave.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 16:01 - May 13 with 2485 viewsGarv

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 13:52 - May 13 by MillsTash

Blackpool have been in the PL in the last 10 years, to be fair to them.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 21:03 - May 13 with 2241 viewsSitfcB

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 15:10 - May 13 by itfcjoe

Ha, to be fair to you you’re a well respected member of the ITFC community and I think you’re someone that people always go to to look for your opinion on stuff.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 21:56 - May 13 with 2133 viewsVic

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 14:51 - May 13 by itfcjoe

It what ways is it a risk Joe? What’s the worst that can happen?

Not a wind up question, genuinely wondering what your fears are. I know you’ve posted about ripping the heart out of the club, and I get that to a degree, but what is the risk in what he’s doing?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 22:08 - May 13 with 2101 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 21:56 - May 13 by Vic

Not a wind up question, genuinely wondering what your fears are. I know you’ve posted about ripping the heart out of the club, and I get that to a degree, but what is the risk in what he’s doing?

Feels to me like the club has needed major heart surgery if not a transplant.

Here is hoping we get a good one.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 22:14 - May 13 with 1891 viewsVic

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 22:08 - May 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

Feels to me like the club has needed major heart surgery if not a transplant.

Here is hoping we get a good one.

Yep indeed. I think what many of us are feeling just shock! It’s one thing to talk about it in theory but when it happens in reality it hits hard. But I’m now settled on it and don’t see that given the the backing and Cooks record the end product can actually be worse than what we had.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 22:24 - May 13 with 1879 viewsitfcjoe

Why Cook’s reset is justified where Keane and Hurst’s were not on 21:56 - May 13 by Vic

That if we are sticking all eggs in the Cook basket and he can’t get it right we’ve got rid of a number of potential assets to go down that wrong path.

Giving a manager free reign on recruitment, if that is what happens, is usually a right that needs to be earned not given

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024