Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roy Hodgson 09:55 - May 19 with 3186 viewsWestover

I think if all those years ago Town had employed him as manager Ipswich would not have been in the position we are in IMO, it will be interesting to see how Crystal Palace get on without him.
Roy Hodgson on 09:58 - May 19 with 2929 viewsvilanovablue

My cousins are both Palace fans and they are seriously worried as to who comes next and how they'll do. Roy never the most exciting of managers but certainly knows how to get the best out of the tools he has available. His CV is just incredible. I appreciate it didn't work out at Liverpool but he got that job at the worst time.
Roy Hodgson on 10:03 - May 19 with 2865 viewshype313

Murmurs are Dyche is wanted by Palace, not sure if that's a move up or sideways from where he is.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Roy Hodgson on 10:11 - May 19 with 2803 viewsTractorCam

Roy Hodgson on 10:03 - May 19 by hype313

Murmurs are Dyche is wanted by Palace, not sure if that's a move up or sideways from where he is.

I'd say that would be backwards. Lampard will get it I reckon.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Roy Hodgson on 11:28 - May 19 with 2591 viewsRegencyBlue

Cant see Dyche fitting in at Palace.

His football is a bit 'industrial' for their taste I would have thought.
Roy Hodgson on 11:35 - May 19 with 2555 viewsBlueBlood90

Roy Hodgson on 10:11 - May 19 by TractorCam

I'd say that would be backwards. Lampard will get it I reckon.

Valerien Ismael the Barnsley boss could be a good shout. He used to play for Palace.

I saw him at 25/1 a week or so ago and now he's one of the favourites.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Roy Hodgson on 11:38 - May 19 with 2519 viewsWeWereZombies

Roy Hodgson on 09:58 - May 19 by vilanovablue

My cousins are both Palace fans and they are seriously worried as to who comes next and how they'll do. Roy never the most exciting of managers but certainly knows how to get the best out of the tools he has available. His CV is just incredible. I appreciate it didn't work out at Liverpool but he got that job at the worst time.

C'mon - Zaha, Eze and Ayew are decent, referring to them as tools is a bit much.

If they give him the leeway I reckon Chris Wilder could do a job at Palace, even kick them on a bit.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Roy Hodgson on 11:39 - May 19 with 2515 viewsMerseyBlue

Yeah they'll be relegated within two seasons - Hodgson doesn't get enough credit for what he has done on such a small budget in that league.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Roy Hodgson on 11:41 - May 19 with 2503 viewsitfcjoe

Roy Hodgson on 09:58 - May 19 by vilanovablue

Problem is with Roy they are stuck in a purgatory of going nowhere really - he's done a fine job but the club hasn't progressed at all. The squad is old and no real assets bar Zaha who is pretty old now and Eze who has had good season but out until Xmas now.

It feels the sort of job that someone going into may really struggle at, but a change is needed in realoity and he can walk away with head held high

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Sounds familiar. (n/t) on 11:43 - May 19 with 2479 viewsBloots

Roy Hodgson on 11:41 - May 19 by itfcjoe

Problem is with Roy they are stuck in a purgatory of going nowhere really - he's done a fine job but the club hasn't progressed at all. The squad is old and no real assets bar Zaha who is pretty old now and Eze who has had good season but out until Xmas now.

It feels the sort of job that someone going into may really struggle at, but a change is needed in realoity and he can walk away with head held high

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Roy Hodgson on 11:47 - May 19 with 2453 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Roy Hodgson on 11:28 - May 19 by RegencyBlue

Cant see Dyche fitting in at Palace.

His football is a bit 'industrial' for their taste I would have thought.

Same as Hodgson then.

To be fair they have had 5 years of Hodgson and Allardyce. Pulls and Warnock shortly before that?
[Post edited 19 May 2021 11:48]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Roy Hodgson on 11:56 - May 19 with 2360 viewsvilanovablue

I wonder what else you'd expect from Palace I think mid to lower table is the best that they can hope to achieve. Most Palace fans are pretty happy with that. But I think that if they bring in someone like Lampard they are down. Roy can definitely be happy with what he has achieved.
Managers that keep clubs.... on 11:57 - May 19 with 2356 viewsBloots

Roy Hodgson on 11:39 - May 19 by MerseyBlue

Yeah they'll be relegated within two seasons - Hodgson doesn't get enough credit for what he has done on such a small budget in that league.

...in the same league on low budgets rarely get any credit, it's only when they leave that you realise the decent job they have done.

I quite like Palace, hopefully they make the right appointment, but I expect it will be Lampard and it may go wrong for them.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Roy Hodgson on 12:01 - May 19 with 2325 viewsitfcjoe

Roy Hodgson on 11:56 - May 19 by vilanovablue

I wonder what else you'd expect from Palace I think mid to lower table is the best that they can hope to achieve. Most Palace fans are pretty happy with that. But I think that if they bring in someone like Lampard they are down. Roy can definitely be happy with what he has achieved.

Yep, but now after 8 seasons in the PL between 10th and 15th or so there becomes a need to try and take the next step.....but like you say they are probably at their ceiling.

It's so difficult now, relelgation such a real fear for every club outside top 7 or 8 that that avoiding that has to be priority a, b and c.....but it's hard to progress as a club and keep fans engaged when it becomes boring.

Roy Hodgson on 12:02 - May 19 with 2312 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Progress how? How can every PL keep progressing?

Perhaps CP have simply found their level.
Roy Hodgson on 12:04 - May 19 with 2290 viewsitfcjoe

Roy Hodgson on 12:02 - May 19 by BlueBlueBluex2

Progress how? How can every PL keep progressing?

Perhaps CP have simply found their level.

They've got their academy to Cat 1 level, but too many clubs can come down from long stints in PL (i.e Bournemouth) and have got absolutely nowhere with infrastructure etc.

Palace are punching above their weight, but something needs to change their with how squad has been constructed

Roy Hodgson on 12:08 - May 19 with 2238 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Agreed.

Not the prettiest but knows how to build teams that function

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Roy Hodgson on 12:19 - May 19 with 2192 viewsChurchman

Maybe, but with Evans around to drain the life out of the club, I can’t think Hodgson would have fared any better than McCarthy at best.

He’s done very well at Palace though. Some managers seem to suit a certain size of club. Rogers at Leicester for example has done a great job and looks comfortable. He never did at Liverpool in the same way Hodgson didn’t.
Roy Hodgson on 12:25 - May 19 with 2161 viewsbluelagos

Roy Hodgson on 12:19 - May 19 by Churchman

Maybe, but with Evans around to drain the life out of the club, I can’t think Hodgson would have fared any better than McCarthy at best.

He’s done very well at Palace though. Some managers seem to suit a certain size of club. Rogers at Leicester for example has done a great job and looks comfortable. He never did at Liverpool in the same way Hodgson didn’t.

Bit harsh on Brendan Rodgers. He was very close to winning the title with Liverpool, Gerrard's slip proving fatal to their hopes.

The scouse fans I know are a lot less complimentary about Hodgson.
[Post edited 19 May 2021 14:08]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Roy Hodgson on 13:54 - May 19 with 1951 viewssoupytwist

Roy Hodgson on 11:56 - May 19 by vilanovablue

On Radio 5's Monday Night Club this week they were discussing where Palace go from here (before Roy announced his retirement) and Micah Richards was quite insistent that Lampard could make a good job of it there.
If they employ Lampard for a whole season they'll go down. He could even get them into an irretrievable position by Christmas if he puts his mind to it.
Roy Hodgson on 14:00 - May 19 with 1926 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Roy Hodgson on 13:54 - May 19 by soupytwist

On Radio 5's Monday Night Club this week they were discussing where Palace go from here (before Roy announced his retirement) and Micah Richards was quite insistent that Lampard could make a good job of it there.
If they employ Lampard for a whole season they'll go down. He could even get them into an irretrievable position by Christmas if he puts his mind to it.

I'd be surprised if they go in that direction after De Boer failed and was sacked so quickly.
Roy Hodgson on 14:11 - May 19 with 1882 viewsPendejo

Roy Hodgson on 13:54 - May 19 by soupytwist

Is this the same Lampard who without direct investment and owner meddling got Chelsea into the CL by way of a top 4 finish and is instrumental to the rise of another MM?

I think he'd be a good fit for Paliss, plus the experience he's picked up along the way means he will know where some gems can be found.

It is my belief that Paliss signed him with an NDA within weeks of his departure from Chelsea... Now watch them appoint someone else

My only surprise is that uncle Roy hasn't stayed on as DoF.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Roy Hodgson on 14:15 - May 19 with 1856 viewscooperd5

Roy Hodgson on 12:04 - May 19 by itfcjoe

They've got their academy to Cat 1 level, but too many clubs can come down from long stints in PL (i.e Bournemouth) and have got absolutely nowhere with infrastructure etc.

Palace are punching above their weight, but something needs to change their with how squad has been constructed

My lad ref'd some games at Playford Road Sunday with ITFC academy v Crystal Palace academy - he said CP were light years ahead of the town teams. only U9 but you see where it goes
Roy Hodgson on 14:17 - May 19 with 1844 viewsdanose

going back to the OP - when could (should?) we have employed woy as manager? post burley?
Roy Hodgson on 14:17 - May 19 with 1844 viewsitfcjoe

Roy Hodgson on 14:15 - May 19 by cooperd5

My lad ref'd some games at Playford Road Sunday with ITFC academy v Crystal Palace academy - he said CP were light years ahead of the town teams. only U9 but you see where it goes

They've always bhad a good academy - but punch a bit below their weight bearing in mind South London is probably the biggest hotbed for footballing talent in Europe/the world

Roy Hodgson on 15:18 - May 19 with 1672 viewsScuzzer

Eddie Howe is the natural fit.

Established 1968

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024