Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Batley and Spen 07:21 - Jul 2 with 1715 viewstractordownsouth

Labour hold - just about. Only 323 votes in it but when you consider that Galloway stood with the sole purpose of splitting the Labour vote and won 8k, and the Brexit-supporting independent who won 6k votes in 2019 stood aside, it’s very impressive. Apparently many Tories switched to Labour to keep out Galloway after his mob spent the campaign abusing the Labour candidate. Hopefully he’ll feck off out of politics forever now. Awful man.

Results:

Labour 13296
Tory 12973
Galloway 8264
Lib Dem 1254

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Batley and Spen on 07:35 - Jul 2 with 1290 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Chalk one up to Hancock.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Batley and Spen on 07:39 - Jul 2 with 1272 viewstractordownsouth

Batley and Spen on 07:35 - Jul 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

Chalk one up to Hancock.

Yep, that could’ve been the clincher in such a close fight.

Batley and Spen on 07:44 - Jul 2 with 1257 viewsSteve_M

Some of the most obnoxious people in British politics are going to be upset about this, and I'm not even talking about the Tories.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Batley and Spen on 07:56 - Jul 2 with 1217 viewsPinewoodblue

Sir Kier Starmer dodged a bullet.

Considering the amount of animosity shown in the campaign a turnout well below 50% shows how much voters believe they can influence things.

Labour’s share of the vote actually fell more than the Conservative’s share.

There seems to be a suggestion that Labour lost the Asian vote which must be a concern going forward as it could cost seats at a General Election.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Batley and Spen on 07:59 - Jul 2 with 1195 viewsbluelagos

Batley and Spen on 07:44 - Jul 2 by Steve_M

Some of the most obnoxious people in British politics are going to be upset about this, and I'm not even talking about the Tories.

Galloway wasn't exactly magnaminous in defeat and talked of a legal challenge against the result (He claimed he was falsely accused of laughing when Labour campaigners were harrassed/assaulted)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Batley and Spen on 08:36 - Jul 2 with 1120 viewsitfcjoe

So very tight, but a very good hold in what was a terribly nasty and divisive campaign by Galloway and his band of followers.

Very important for the near future of the Labour party, Keir given room to breathe and set his stall out now - which he needs to do ASAP.

Galloway a nasty piece of work, those who supported him in this have no place in the Labour party

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Batley and Spen on 08:43 - Jul 2 with 1102 viewsElephantintheRoom

48 hours previously, Labour were projected to get 5% of the vote. Then the appalling Angela Rayner put in her leadership bid and created a massive swing to Labour. Even the good citizens of Batley realise she's even more of a useless loose cannon than Johnson.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Batley and Spen on 08:43 - Jul 2 with 1091 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Batley and Spen on 08:36 - Jul 2 by itfcjoe

So very tight, but a very good hold in what was a terribly nasty and divisive campaign by Galloway and his band of followers.

Very important for the near future of the Labour party, Keir given room to breathe and set his stall out now - which he needs to do ASAP.

Galloway a nasty piece of work, those who supported him in this have no place in the Labour party

Without their votes Labour may as well pack up and go home.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

Batley and Spen on 08:52 - Jul 2 with 1067 viewsDarth_Koont

Batley and Spen on 07:56 - Jul 2 by Pinewoodblue

Sir Kier Starmer dodged a bullet.

Considering the amount of animosity shown in the campaign a turnout well below 50% shows how much voters believe they can influence things.

Labour’s share of the vote actually fell more than the Conservative’s share.

There seems to be a suggestion that Labour lost the Asian vote which must be a concern going forward as it could cost seats at a General Election.

Indeed.

Disappointing result for me as it just delays the inevitable. But any Labour MP is going to look at an exceptional local candidate narrowly squeaking home, while the Tory vote is unbelievably holding and someone as awful as Galloway can just peel off thousands of votes, as a huge threat to the party’s and their own electoral chances.

Labour under Starmer are exactly where you’d expect an uninspiring, hopeless party to be.

Pronouns: He/Him

Batley and Spen on 08:56 - Jul 2 with 1046 viewsDarth_Koont

Gmpf.

Batley and Spen on 09:02 - Jul 2 with 1029 viewsJakeITFC

Batley and Spen on 08:43 - Jul 2 by ElephantintheRoom

48 hours previously, Labour were projected to get 5% of the vote. Then the appalling Angela Rayner put in her leadership bid and created a massive swing to Labour. Even the good citizens of Batley realise she's even more of a useless loose cannon than Johnson.

5% projected chance to win, not 5% of the total vote.
Batley and Spen on 09:10 - Jul 2 with 995 viewsEastTownBlue

Batley and Spen on 07:59 - Jul 2 by bluelagos

Galloway wasn't exactly magnaminous in defeat and talked of a legal challenge against the result (He claimed he was falsely accused of laughing when Labour campaigners were harrassed/assaulted)

Galloway has obviously moved on from taking libel actions about things said about him to challenging election results.
Batley and Spen on 09:13 - Jul 2 with 981 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Batley and Spen on 08:52 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

Indeed.

Disappointing result for me as it just delays the inevitable. But any Labour MP is going to look at an exceptional local candidate narrowly squeaking home, while the Tory vote is unbelievably holding and someone as awful as Galloway can just peel off thousands of votes, as a huge threat to the party’s and their own electoral chances.

Labour under Starmer are exactly where you’d expect an uninspiring, hopeless party to be.

‘Disappointing result for me’ says it all really, doesn’t it?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Batley and Spen on 09:17 - Jul 2 with 964 viewsDarth_Koont

Batley and Spen on 09:13 - Jul 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

‘Disappointing result for me’ says it all really, doesn’t it?

Does it?

The result doesn’t actually affect “me” in the slightest. But it’s disappointing for the sort of empty politics the result will just about prop up.

Batley and Spen on 09:38 - Jul 2 with 894 viewsSwansea_Blue

How on earth do over 8,000 vote for Galloway? I've not been following it and only just seen the results, but surely everyone knows he's an utter arse-wipe?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Batley and Spen on 09:41 - Jul 2 with 884 viewstractordownsouth

Batley and Spen on 08:52 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

Indeed.

Why’s it disappointing?? Surely you weren’t rooting for Galloway or the Tory? I’m coming to the view that Starmer needs to offer some more clear policy direction soon enough and the next year will be vital for doing that, now that we’re (hopefully) out of most of the pandemic. If the 2022 locals are bad then it’ll be time for a change but the reason I’m sticking with him for now is that I don’t see a candidate who could win over the members and also be more appealing to the country. Burnham’ not an MP and the numbers in Cooper’s seat are exactly the same as Hartlepool (tiny majority and massive Brexit Party vote) so that’s a non-starter.

Surely the big story should be the Tories actually losing vote share, no? The right wing independent group and the Brexit Party got a combined 15% last time which should have resulted in at least half of those voters going Tory surely? As soon as Galloway got into the race the Labour vote share falling was always likely. Glad this stops all talk of a challenge anyway so the party can reset. Take a look at things next year if things haven’t improved.

Batley and Spen on 09:47 - Jul 2 with 866 viewstractordownsouth

Batley and Spen on 09:38 - Jul 2 by Swansea_Blue

How on earth do over 8,000 vote for Galloway? I've not been following it and only just seen the results, but surely everyone knows he's an utter arse-wipe?

I was shocked at that - thought he’d get about half. It’s a mixture of the Palestine issue (which I don’t really understand because the policy on Palestine hasn’t changed post-JC, just Starmer isn’t “friends” with Hamas) and social conservatism, largely within the Muslim community. There was some quite nasty dog whistling for Galloway thrown in there as well - he described LGBT education in schools as a “moral vacuum” in one of his leaflets.

I don’t live in a very multicultural area so I’m obviously out of touch on the issue but I really struggle to understand how Galloway gets support from Muslims. He spends his life sucking up to the likes of Saddam Hussein and denying the Uighur genocide in China.

Batley and Spen on 09:50 - Jul 2 with 844 viewsDarth_Koont

Batley and Spen on 09:41 - Jul 2 by tractordownsouth

Why’s it disappointing?? Surely you weren’t rooting for Galloway or the Tory? I’m coming to the view that Starmer needs to offer some more clear policy direction soon enough and the next year will be vital for doing that, now that we’re (hopefully) out of most of the pandemic. If the 2022 locals are bad then it’ll be time for a change but the reason I’m sticking with him for now is that I don’t see a candidate who could win over the members and also be more appealing to the country. Burnham’ not an MP and the numbers in Cooper’s seat are exactly the same as Hartlepool (tiny majority and massive Brexit Party vote) so that’s a non-starter.

Surely the big story should be the Tories actually losing vote share, no? The right wing independent group and the Brexit Party got a combined 15% last time which should have resulted in at least half of those voters going Tory surely? As soon as Galloway got into the race the Labour vote share falling was always likely. Glad this stops all talk of a challenge anyway so the party can reset. Take a look at things next year if things haven’t improved.

It’s disappointing because as your reply suggests it gives more time to a failing project.

Galloway and the Tories are awful in different ways so I’m glad someone as decent as Kim Leadbeater won. And if I lived in Batley & Spen, I’d want her as my local MP no question.

But she won in spite of Labour and Starmer. On a national level and what it implies for the wider UK, the death cult are still in charge.

Batley and Spen on 09:53 - Jul 2 with 828 viewsLord_Lucan

Batley and Spen on 07:35 - Jul 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

Chalk one up to Hancock.

That would have made a difference but I think the overwhelming reason Labour won was that it was the sister of Joe Cox who stood.

I know that Labour lost a larger majority and literally scraped through but I think the Tories will be p1ssed off about this, they would have been hoping for a big win.

Last night they were still massively odds on.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Batley and Spen on 09:54 - Jul 2 with 814 viewshype313

Batley and Spen on 09:53 - Jul 2 by Lord_Lucan

That would have made a difference but I think the overwhelming reason Labour won was that it was the sister of Joe Cox who stood.

I know that Labour lost a larger majority and literally scraped through but I think the Tories will be p1ssed off about this, they would have been hoping for a big win.

Especially as they have/had grand plans of smashing the red wall.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Batley and Spen on 09:58 - Jul 2 with 796 viewstractordownsouth

Batley and Spen on 09:53 - Jul 2 by Lord_Lucan

Yep, especially when the 2 other right wing candidates who got 15% of the vote in 2019 didn’t stand this time. Pretty much everybody (myself included) expected them to win but they blew it, just like in Chesham and Amersham, albeit on a smaller scale.

Batley and Spen on 10:01 - Jul 2 with 784 viewsLord_Lucan

Batley and Spen on 09:54 - Jul 2 by hype313

Especially as they have/had grand plans of smashing the red wall.

I think the red wall was smashed some time ago. I was discussing this with ABB recently, it seems the whole voting pattern has changed with the London liberal elite switching to Labour and the Tories hoovering up the working man.

Normally after a few years in power the government would be losing by elections anyway but we live in strange times and there is no doubt the Tories thought they had this in the bag. To be honest, if it wasn't for the labour candidate they would probably have won it fairly convincingly.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Batley and Spen on 10:06 - Jul 2 with 759 viewsDarth_Koont

Batley and Spen on 10:01 - Jul 2 by Lord_Lucan

I think the red wall was smashed some time ago. I was discussing this with ABB recently, it seems the whole voting pattern has changed with the London liberal elite switching to Labour and the Tories hoovering up the working man.

Normally after a few years in power the government would be losing by elections anyway but we live in strange times and there is no doubt the Tories thought they had this in the bag. To be honest, if it wasn't for the labour candidate they would probably have won it fairly convincingly.

Torres have made inroads there certainly.

But also a lot to do with shifting demographics. The young and working age population have predominantly voted Labour while the retired have voted Tory. In a lot of the red wall the average age has shifted upwards over the past couple of decades.

Batley and Spen on 10:08 - Jul 2 with 742 viewsLord_Lucan

Batley and Spen on 10:06 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

Torres have made inroads there certainly.

But also a lot to do with shifting demographics. The young and working age population have predominantly voted Labour while the retired have voted Tory. In a lot of the red wall the average age has shifted upwards over the past couple of decades.

I put it more down to a Brexit thing

Batley and Spen on 10:11 - Jul 2 with 719 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Jayda Fransen polling just 50 votes is one small bright spot...

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024