Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Masks post July 19 08:05 - Jul 5 with 9510 viewsbluelagos

Appears that the mandatory wearing of masks will be replaced by personal choice with govt guidance to wear them in enclosed busy places.

One obviously enclosed busy place is public transport, tubes, trains etc.

Playbook reported that TFL could retain masks as a condition of entry but it seems unlikely and would be unforecable imho.

So, is there a case for mask carriages, say 2 per tube, where you are expected to wear one. Would give those anxious or vulnerable the ability to travel as they choose and those who wish not to wear a mask the opportunity to do so without impacting on others by choosing a different carriage.

Good idea or as crp as my alternative days idea for pubs ? (Cv passport)
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 8:12]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Masks post July 19 on 08:08 - Jul 6 with 902 viewschicoazul

Masks post July 19 on 21:02 - Jul 5 by Lord_Lucan

I don't think any of our lads group are / were Brexiters but I believe they are all pretty much glad to be going back to normal.

Not sure why people are trying to turn this political either, most of our lot are lefty BF's

It's pretty clear that this is the view of the majority of the country by a mile - unless of course you only converse on TW4TD.

Point of order; authoritarian lefty BFs. TWTD is very much authoritarian left.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Masks post July 19 on 08:09 - Jul 6 with 900 viewsLord_Lucan

Masks post July 19 on 08:02 - Jul 6 by DanTheMan

Your reasoning makes no sense. Wearing a mask would prevent me from passing on an illness, not the other way around. So why, if I was that worried, would wearing a mask make me feel more comfortable.

I'm going to wearing a mask when I'm in enclosed spaces for the time being because it is the right thing to do whilst we are still in the middle of a pandemic. I am somewhat shocked people consider this to be a tremendous hardship.

I think I might continue to wear one in a shop, I don't know, see how it goes.

I think mask evidence is flimsy at best though. The reusable cloth ones offer no medical benefit of note, this is why they have to be sold as a fashion mask.

The standard blue masks you see everywhere are normally worn incorrectly and are used so many times that they are themselves a Covid petri dish.

It is also mind blowing how many you see on the pavement.

On balance I can see a benefit but it's not the be all and end all.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Masks post July 19 on 08:11 - Jul 6 with 891 viewsLord_Lucan

Masks post July 19 on 08:08 - Jul 6 by chicoazul

Point of order; authoritarian lefty BFs. TWTD is very much authoritarian left.

Point of order; I was referring to lefty BF's within our lads whatsapp group. Not TW4T.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Masks post July 19 on 08:13 - Jul 6 with 889 viewsStokieBlue

Masks post July 19 on 08:07 - Jul 6 by chicoazul

That’s up to you innit. And wearing a mask doesn’t prevent anything unless several strict criteria are met around hygiene and single use etc.
As I say, if people are scared, don’t go out. If you have to for work wear a mask if it makes you more comfortable like the poster above who said they are wearing a mask even though they know it’s pointless.

This simply isn't true.

Did you read the study that Badger posted? Masks are effective in the general case.

I don't understand how is such a hardship to help others, you could be asymptomatic after all.

SB
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 8:14]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Masks post July 19 on 08:15 - Jul 6 with 882 viewsdickie

Masks post July 19 on 07:58 - Jul 6 by chicoazul

Yes. So as I say, if you’re that worried, wear a mask. Stay home.

So because some people are selfish anyone else that is concerned that this is far from over should quit their jobs and just stay home? Sounds erm, pretty selfish! How difficult is it to wear a mask?!
Masks post July 19 on 08:19 - Jul 6 with 871 viewschicoazul

Masks post July 19 on 08:13 - Jul 6 by StokieBlue

This simply isn't true.

Did you read the study that Badger posted? Masks are effective in the general case.

I don't understand how is such a hardship to help others, you could be asymptomatic after all.

SB
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 8:14]

Yes I read some of that study and it talks about surgical masks n95 respirators etc. You and I both know the masks people use are often not surgical and when they are, are reused making them less and less effective

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Masks post July 19 on 08:22 - Jul 6 with 861 viewsDanTheMan

Masks post July 19 on 08:07 - Jul 6 by chicoazul

That’s up to you innit. And wearing a mask doesn’t prevent anything unless several strict criteria are met around hygiene and single use etc.
As I say, if people are scared, don’t go out. If you have to for work wear a mask if it makes you more comfortable like the poster above who said they are wearing a mask even though they know it’s pointless.

But it's not pointless, we've got studies showing as much.

You're whole position comes from a point that's completely false. Wearing a mask is safe, effective, and little to no bother.

You can keep trying to say that it's me that's worried when people can not even wear a bloody mask for the good of others because they are insanely selfish and childish. Can't stand being told they have to do something for the others.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Masks post July 19 on 08:27 - Jul 6 with 843 viewsStokieBlue

Masks post July 19 on 08:19 - Jul 6 by chicoazul

Yes I read some of that study and it talks about surgical masks n95 respirators etc. You and I both know the masks people use are often not surgical and when they are, are reused making them less and less effective

Do you have a study to back up your claims on both effectiveness and the levels of reuse?

Mask wearing is one of the reasons the initial spread was far slower in Asia. The science is proven.

Any mask is better than nothing at reducing the droplets you are spreading to others.

I guess I just don't have an issue wearing them and other people feel differently.

SB
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 8:35]

Login to get fewer ads

Masks post July 19 on 08:27 - Jul 6 with 842 viewschicoazul

Masks post July 19 on 08:22 - Jul 6 by DanTheMan

But it's not pointless, we've got studies showing as much.

You're whole position comes from a point that's completely false. Wearing a mask is safe, effective, and little to no bother.

You can keep trying to say that it's me that's worried when people can not even wear a bloody mask for the good of others because they are insanely selfish and childish. Can't stand being told they have to do something for the others.

I’m talking specifically about the poster dickie who posted they are wearing a mask despite knowing it’s pointless.
And I don’t mean “you” Dan.

Masks post July 19 on 08:28 - Jul 6 with 837 viewsDanTheMan

From the paper

Our results have important implications for understanding and communicating preventive measures against the transmission of airborne viruses, including SARS-CoV-2. When people see images or videos of millions of respiratory particles exhaled by talking or coughing, they may be afraid that simple masks with limited filtration efficiency (e.g., 30 to 70%) cannot really protect them from inhaling these particles. However, as only few respiratory particles contain viruses and most environments are in a virus-limited regime, wearing masks can keep the number of inhaled viruses in a low-Pinf regime and can explain the observed efficacy of face masks in preventing the spread of COVID-19. However, unfavorable conditions and the large variability of viral loads may lead to a virus-rich regime in certain indoor environments, such as medical centers treating COVID-19 patients. In such environments, high-efficiency masks and additional protective measures like efficient ventilation should be used to keep the infection risk low. The nonlinear dependence of mask efficacy on airborne virus concentration–i.e., the higher mask efficacy at lower virus abundance–also highlights the importance of combining masks with other preventive measures. Effective ventilation and social distancing will reduce ambient virus concentrations and increase the effectiveness of face masks in containing the virus transmission. Moreover, high compliance and correct use of masks is important to ensure the effectiveness of universal masking in reducing the reproduction number for COVID-19

Emphasis mine.

EDIT: Coming across needlessly aggressive, apologies.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 8:28]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Masks post July 19 on 08:29 - Jul 6 with 830 viewsStokieBlue

Masks post July 19 on 08:27 - Jul 6 by chicoazul

I’m talking specifically about the poster dickie who posted they are wearing a mask despite knowing it’s pointless.
And I don’t mean “you” Dan.

Then dickie is wrong and should read the scientific literature around the subject.

This is a failing of the government, they should have been more effective at getting the science and the message across.

SB

Masks post July 19 on 08:36 - Jul 6 with 809 viewsbluelagos

Chico, does something have to be perfect for it to be useful?

Of course not. They would clearly be more effective if they were more regularly cleaned, worn properly and all of a surgical quality. But the bottom line is that any barrier to what goes in/out of your mouth will reduce virus spread.

Anyone who thinks a mask provides absolute protection is kidding themselves. But that's not to say they are not effective at stopping the spread.

I hate the fckers, but given the dangers of the virus and we know that covering our faces in public indoor settings will help prevent it's spread, I think the arguments for retention in high risk situations are quite strong tbf.

And I speak as a libertarian rather than an authoritarian.

Perhaps the strongest argument was from CW yesterday who said one reason he would wear one was if encountering someone who looked uneasy/anxious - he would wear one as a common courtesy.

If you see a scared old lady and can reassure her by putting on a mask, why wouldn't you?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Masks post July 19 on 08:40 - Jul 6 with 801 viewsdickie

Masks post July 19 on 08:36 - Jul 6 by bluelagos

Chico, does something have to be perfect for it to be useful?

Of course not. They would clearly be more effective if they were more regularly cleaned, worn properly and all of a surgical quality. But the bottom line is that any barrier to what goes in/out of your mouth will reduce virus spread.

Anyone who thinks a mask provides absolute protection is kidding themselves. But that's not to say they are not effective at stopping the spread.

I hate the fckers, but given the dangers of the virus and we know that covering our faces in public indoor settings will help prevent it's spread, I think the arguments for retention in high risk situations are quite strong tbf.

And I speak as a libertarian rather than an authoritarian.

Perhaps the strongest argument was from CW yesterday who said one reason he would wear one was if encountering someone who looked uneasy/anxious - he would wear one as a common courtesy.

If you see a scared old lady and can reassure her by putting on a mask, why wouldn't you?

Masks post July 19 on 09:02 - Jul 6 with 776 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Having used the tube for the first time in ages the other day, you could be forgiven for thinking mask wearing had already been ditched.

Must have been about 25% adherence.
Masks post July 19 on 09:04 - Jul 6 with 772 viewsElephantintheRoom

Interesting that you are focussed on masks.

In the midst of a global pandemic with one of the fastest rising infection rates in the world this government choses to abandon any pretence of covid containment - and conducts yet another experiment on the public, crossing finger that it will result in more votes - not more deaths.

Im not sure anyone has proven that masks actually help with anything - though there are reasons why they should help a bit - and at least show some concern for fellow citizens. But this country is all about FREEDOM.... and votes....the fact that we were the global epicentre for the kent variant and are now an epicentre of spreading the delta variant around the world is of no concern whatsoever.

It's an interesting experiment - and should work, in that summer is here.... but spreading a deadly virus around in such a callous and calculated manner seems to have got the rest of the world intrigued.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Masks post July 19 on 09:05 - Jul 6 with 771 viewsSwansea_Blue

Masks post July 19 on 07:51 - Jul 6 by chicoazul

All anybody needs to do, if they’re that worried about getting sick, is not go out. And wear a mask when they have to.

That's true on an individual level, but not particularly relevant to controlling the spread.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Masks post July 19 on 09:10 - Jul 6 with 762 viewsSwansea_Blue

Masks post July 19 on 08:09 - Jul 6 by Lord_Lucan

I think I might continue to wear one in a shop, I don't know, see how it goes.

I think mask evidence is flimsy at best though. The reusable cloth ones offer no medical benefit of note, this is why they have to be sold as a fashion mask.

The standard blue masks you see everywhere are normally worn incorrectly and are used so many times that they are themselves a Covid petri dish.

It is also mind blowing how many you see on the pavement.

On balance I can see a benefit but it's not the be all and end all.

It's been established that even the cloth masks are better than nothing. People using maks wrongly isn't an argument to get rid of them either, but for more education.

Anyway, I think this thread has proven that people won't be doing what would be needed to reduce transmission, so it's going to be an 'interesting' experiment. Maybe we'll strike lucky.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Masks post July 19 on 09:20 - Jul 6 with 749 viewskeighleyblue

Masks post July 19 on 08:20 - Jul 5 by blueblueburleymcgrew

I think your final paragraph is key. It should be entirely up to the individual, mask wearers and non mask wearers should be respected and not challenged.

It must be about unhindered personal choice.

Totally wrong. It should have nothing whatsoever to do with personal choice. It *should* be for public health reasons. For keeping the population safe. And NOTHING ELSE.

Unfortunately as others have said, the govt has decided to let go, and see what happens. With the new twist that it's now the public to blame if it all goes t1ts up.

Abject, and possibly criminal, dereliction of duty IMO
Masks post July 19 on 09:26 - Jul 6 with 736 viewsfooters

Good news for the anti-mask lot - you've got some pretty heavy-hitting intellectuals with you on this one.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Masks post July 19 on 09:44 - Jul 6 with 709 viewsStokieBlue

Masks post July 19 on 09:26 - Jul 6 by footers

Good news for the anti-mask lot - you've got some pretty heavy-hitting intellectuals with you on this one.

What an utter cretin along with nearly 3000 other cretins.

I do think quite a bit of this is the governments fault for not getting the message across how important masks can be in stopping the spread and then not enforcing the rules at all - no point having laws if you just decide not to enforce them.

Of course people like Mr Fred aren't going to be swayed by simple things like evidence. Perhaps he's too sexy for covid.

SB
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 9:47]

Masks post July 19 on 09:57 - Jul 6 with 681 viewseireblue

Masks post July 19 on 09:20 - Jul 6 by keighleyblue

Totally wrong. It should have nothing whatsoever to do with personal choice. It *should* be for public health reasons. For keeping the population safe. And NOTHING ELSE.

Unfortunately as others have said, the govt has decided to let go, and see what happens. With the new twist that it's now the public to blame if it all goes t1ts up.

Abject, and possibly criminal, dereliction of duty IMO

It is a bit funny how different threats to humans are viewed by a population and the government.

Covid, kills tens of thousands of people; guys be safe out there, or not, you choose, we respect your personal liberty.

Invasions from the Russians, maybe we should stop this nanny state culture.

Guys if you are worried about murder, foreign invaders, terrorists, look we are going to give you your freedom, if you really need to, sure buy stab proof vests, or weapons, we really need to move away from police, armies judges etc..and start to learn to live with bad things that are really, very low risk.
Masks post July 19 on 12:03 - Jul 6 with 630 viewsLord_Lucan

Masks post July 19 on 09:10 - Jul 6 by Swansea_Blue

It's been established that even the cloth masks are better than nothing. People using maks wrongly isn't an argument to get rid of them either, but for more education.

Anyway, I think this thread has proven that people won't be doing what would be needed to reduce transmission, so it's going to be an 'interesting' experiment. Maybe we'll strike lucky.

The vaccine is proven to be working, even against Delta. Now of course we might end up with a strain that beats the vaccine, we might not.

Take some time to redirect your ire to the millions(?) of people refusing a vaccine.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024