Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Masks post July 19 08:05 - Jul 5 with 9511 viewsbluelagos

Appears that the mandatory wearing of masks will be replaced by personal choice with govt guidance to wear them in enclosed busy places.

One obviously enclosed busy place is public transport, tubes, trains etc.

Playbook reported that TFL could retain masks as a condition of entry but it seems unlikely and would be unforecable imho.

So, is there a case for mask carriages, say 2 per tube, where you are expected to wear one. Would give those anxious or vulnerable the ability to travel as they choose and those who wish not to wear a mask the opportunity to do so without impacting on others by choosing a different carriage.

Good idea or as crp as my alternative days idea for pubs ? (Cv passport)
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 8:12]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Masks post July 19 on 11:18 - Jul 5 with 944 viewsWeWereZombies

Masks post July 19 on 10:58 - Jul 5 by The_Last_Baron

I'm happy you have the right to wear a mask.

I'm also happy for people to have the right not to do so.

Absolutely, why be doing with this giving other people the freedom to live out the course of their lives nonsense when it impacts your right to do anything at all?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Masks post July 19 on 11:24 - Jul 5 with 937 viewsAsa

Masks post July 19 on 11:06 - Jul 5 by StokieBlue

The issue here though is that the "right" not to wear a mask can adversely affect people whilst the same isn't true the other way around.

It's not the equivalence you are portraying.

SB

I can see some base logic in those that will choose not to wear them.

I will continue to wear them for the foreseeable future, regardless of the Government stance. As you rightly point out, wearing one doesn't affect me at all, but not wearing one could do or, worse still, could affect others. It will be some time before I am comfortable not wearing one. The evidence would need to be overwhelmingly that I could no longer impact upon others health.

I can understand the argument that people who didn't want to wear masks had no choice under law and complied and now they will have a choice under law so are free to make their choice. Technically, they are quite within their rights to choose either.

I personally don't understand people, who are not exempt or have a genuine reason for not wearing a mask in enclosed areas, would want to go without given that it may have no affect, but the evidence is quick overwhelming that it will have some small affect right up to a significant / disastrous one.

It's a small price to pay for most of us to make absolutely sure and protect others, but once the decision is made, despite not being comfortable with the decision, we have to accept that it is permitted, in the same manner a lot of us that were happy to see masks become a requirement, when it was one we agreed with.

At some stage life has to get back to normal but I remain unconvinced now is the time to just crack on like it's 2019.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 11:27]
Masks post July 19 on 11:28 - Jul 5 with 925 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Masks post July 19 on 10:53 - Jul 5 by Cotty

The consequences of not wearing a mask are not personal, they are collective.

And what are the consequences?
Masks post July 19 on 11:32 - Jul 5 with 906 viewsStokieBlue

Masks post July 19 on 11:28 - Jul 5 by blueblueburleymcgrew

The direct increase in the vectors of transmission and thus cases. The fact that you might infect someone else and they might get very sick. The fact that it's a very small thing to ask to protect others. The fact that having more covid around increases the risk of a truly horrible vaccine-evading mutation etc etc etc.

You surely know all this as it's been made clear for over a year, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Masks post July 19 on 11:34 - Jul 5 with 898 viewsSwansea_Blue

If they remove the requirement to wear masks, does that mean all the edgelord contrary types will now have to start wearing masks in order to not conform? Could get very confusing lol.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Masks post July 19 on 11:36 - Jul 5 with 891 viewsfooters

Masks post July 19 on 11:34 - Jul 5 by Swansea_Blue

If they remove the requirement to wear masks, does that mean all the edgelord contrary types will now have to start wearing masks in order to not conform? Could get very confusing lol.

We should have played the old reverse psychology card sooner! Good thinking, Swanners.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Masks post July 19 on 11:42 - Jul 5 with 882 viewsMerseyBlue

I just think that if it allows life to get back to normal in all other facets, wearing a mask whilst on public transport or enclosed public spaces is a pretty reasonable trade off. I will continue to do so as it really isn't an inconvenience and it protects others. I would appreciate if others do the same, although I suspect that if it is down to personal choice, the vast majority won't.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Masks post July 19 on 11:47 - Jul 5 with 878 viewsbluelady

i like this idea - my daughter recently got on a train and in the carriage was a gentleman with no mask who coughed and spluttered so much she felt duty bound to move. 4 days later she has covid........and we are all stuck at home isolating!
Login to get fewer ads

Masks post July 19 on 11:49 - Jul 5 with 862 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Masks post July 19 on 11:32 - Jul 5 by StokieBlue

The direct increase in the vectors of transmission and thus cases. The fact that you might infect someone else and they might get very sick. The fact that it's a very small thing to ask to protect others. The fact that having more covid around increases the risk of a truly horrible vaccine-evading mutation etc etc etc.

You surely know all this as it's been made clear for over a year, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

SB

You don’t sound very confident of being able to live with this like we do other communicable diseases?

The vaccines work to be able for us to move on, but I accept personal choice to wear a mask if you want.
Masks post July 19 on 11:53 - Jul 5 with 853 viewsfooters

Masks post July 19 on 11:42 - Jul 5 by MerseyBlue

I just think that if it allows life to get back to normal in all other facets, wearing a mask whilst on public transport or enclosed public spaces is a pretty reasonable trade off. I will continue to do so as it really isn't an inconvenience and it protects others. I would appreciate if others do the same, although I suspect that if it is down to personal choice, the vast majority won't.

Am I alone in thinking they look quite stylish? Feels like being a wild west bandit or a ninja or something.

Masks post July 19 on 11:53 - Jul 5 with 849 viewsRyorry

Masks post July 19 on 11:47 - Jul 5 by bluelady

i like this idea - my daughter recently got on a train and in the carriage was a gentleman with no mask who coughed and spluttered so much she felt duty bound to move. 4 days later she has covid........and we are all stuck at home isolating!

Bloody hell - exactly - so sorry Bluelady, hope she makes a full & speedy recovery & that none of the rest of you go down with it.

And I hope BlueblueBarleyMacgrew is reading your post and taking full note ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Masks post July 19 on 11:55 - Jul 5 with 844 viewsCotty

Masks post July 19 on 11:28 - Jul 5 by blueblueburleymcgrew

The masks are there to stop you passing on the virus, not to prevent you from catching it.
Masks post July 19 on 11:57 - Jul 5 with 835 viewsleitrimblue

Masks post July 19 on 11:53 - Jul 5 by footers

Am I alone in thinking they look quite stylish? Feels like being a wild west bandit or a ninja or something.

I like to imagine I'm a Dick Turpin style highwaymen when masked.
Masks post July 19 on 11:57 - Jul 5 with 829 viewsRyorry

Masks post July 19 on 11:49 - Jul 5 by blueblueburleymcgrew

You don’t sound very confident of being able to live with this like we do other communicable diseases?

The vaccines work to be able for us to move on, but I accept personal choice to wear a mask if you want.

What little research there is suggests that the vaccines do not work for quite a large section of the population - ie those with auto-immune illnesses such as asthma & IBD, and others such as patients currently receiving treatment for cancer - who are on immuno-suppressant meds.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Masks post July 19 on 12:02 - Jul 5 with 813 viewsBarcaBlue

From last week in Spain , masks are no longer mandatory outside, they are required in enclosed areas or busy outdoor locations. My completely unscientific guesstimate from being out and about is that around 60% of people are stiĺl wearing masks outside. I've never seen anyone without a mask in an enclosed space.

It helps that there's no "freedom day" or whatever, rules remain in place or are tweaked on a weekly basis and people just get on with it accordingly. Have to say a lot of people, particularly the oldens struggle with social distancing.
Masks post July 19 on 12:09 - Jul 5 with 776 viewsStokieBlue

Masks post July 19 on 11:49 - Jul 5 by blueblueburleymcgrew

That's not really what I said.

We will have to live with it at some stage but lets not make equivalences with other diseases (flu for instance), without a working vaccine a lot of people will die of C19 and even with a working vaccine some will die.

If me wearing a mask whilst in a confined area such as public transports reduces that death toll by a good percentage then I'm happy to do it. The fact you think a personal choice not to wear one is as important as saving lives is something I don't agree with given wearing a mask is really not a big issue.

In the end, if your actions are affecting others it's perhaps always a good time to stop and reflect on those actions.

SB
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 12:10]

Masks post July 19 on 12:16 - Jul 5 with 754 viewswkj

In all reality, mark wearing is more about preventing the transmission from host to others, rather than others onto yourself - therefore, I will probably only wear a mask if I get any covid like symptoms.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Masks post July 19 on 12:16 - Jul 5 with 749 viewsMerseyBlue

Not only that, but I also enjoy being able to mutter expletives with discretion.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Masks post July 19 on 12:25 - Jul 5 with 727 viewschicoazul

Masks post July 19 on 11:55 - Jul 5 by Cotty

The masks are there to stop you passing on the virus, not to prevent you from catching it.

Is there any proof masks work as you describe?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Masks post July 19 on 12:30 - Jul 5 with 712 viewsStokieBlue

Masks post July 19 on 12:25 - Jul 5 by chicoazul

Yes, there are various studies, Badger posted on up the other day which has quantifiable results.

Mask wearing, distancing and ventilation... by BlueBadger 24 May 2021 13:06
...the numbers are in and, spoiler alert, they're effective measures.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/05/19/science.abg6296?utm_campaign=SciMag

Essentially mask minimise the amount of the virus you spread to others, that is where they are most effective.

SB
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 12:32]

Masks post July 19 on 12:42 - Jul 5 with 681 viewsjeera

Masks post July 19 on 12:25 - Jul 5 by chicoazul

In the same way as covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze?

Seriously mate, I doubt anyone will need to understand science on this one.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2021 12:49]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Masks post July 19 on 12:48 - Jul 5 with 655 viewsWeWereZombies

Masks post July 19 on 12:16 - Jul 5 by wkj

In all reality, mark wearing is more about preventing the transmission from host to others, rather than others onto yourself - therefore, I will probably only wear a mask if I get any covid like symptoms.

By which time it will probably be too late for anyone around you in the previous ten days who has caught Covid-19 from you...

Masks post July 19 on 12:53 - Jul 5 with 641 viewsClapham_Junction

Masks post July 19 on 08:11 - Jul 5 by 26_Paz

Good idea in principle, wouldn’t work in practice. Imagine busy platforms, how would you know where to stand to get in the appropriate carriage. Would be carnage with people trying to move once the train arrives.

Clear marking on the platform as to where that carriage will stop, and on the carriage itself? Other countries seem to manage this stuff - e.g. women only carriages in Japan.

But agree with Stokie's point earlier - people are simply too selfish to adhere to this. Half the people on the tube no longer bother with a mask or wearing it properly. TfL could have probably closed the gap in their finances if they'd enforced the fines...
Masks post July 19 on 12:54 - Jul 5 with 632 viewsWeWereZombies

I think that leaves the Mexican wrestler option free, I'll take that.

Masks post July 19 on 12:58 - Jul 5 with 623 viewsfooters

Masks post July 19 on 12:54 - Jul 5 by WeWereZombies

I think that leaves the Mexican wrestler option free, I'll take that.

From what little I know, those lucha libre guys take the whole mask thing very seriously indeed, even wearing them while showering or being on the job.

Just thought I should give you fair warning of what you're committing to here.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024