Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate 09:04 - Jul 10 with 3352 viewshype313

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 13:20 - Jul 10 with 685 viewsjeera

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 12:27 - Jul 10 by BlueandTruesince82

Give over Footers, sport is about rivalry......let's move on from that Norwich rivalry too shall we? Expect to see city love in on here going forward for the Jolly good job they've done.

Rivalries are the spice, the drama, the adversity.

All friendly of course, not suggesting we all need read from the Millwall book of politics but still..

People have always sung songs about days of glory.... since man has stood shoulder to shoulder with his brothers in the shield wall we have sung about illustrious victories and vanquished foes......it's brings us together.

Or we could sit there and shout bravo as a fine header bests our GK.

[Post edited 10 Jul 2021 12:34]

Clearly he's not referring to just sporting rivalries for pity's sake.

Not sure how that can be missed yet a few have managed it.

He's even spelt it out in one of his posts, as has someone else.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 13:22 - Jul 10 with 675 viewsDarth_Koont

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 13:17 - Jul 10 by MattinLondon

What a ridiculous comment.

The Germany-England rivalry is silly mainly because it’s completely one-sided. That RAF bomber song is pathetic is is only sung by meatheads - I take it that you sing that song?

Believe or not it’s possible to sing songs, to be patriotic and partisan without pretending that it’s 1945 and you’ve personally landed on the beaches of Normandy.

(cough) 1944

But pedantry aside, I agree totally.

Pronouns: He/Him

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 13:25 - Jul 10 with 659 viewsMattinLondon

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 13:22 - Jul 10 by Darth_Koont

(cough) 1944

But pedantry aside, I agree totally.

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 14:19 - Jul 10 with 606 viewsMullet

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 13:03 - Jul 10 by The_Major

John Cleese has said that the whole reason he wrote the episode of Fawlty Towers with the Germans was because there is a certain type of British person that is incapable of letting the war go, as it was the last time the UK truly mattered on a global scale.

Bear in mind as well he wrote that in 1974, so the war was easily within living memory of anyone over thirty, so you might understand a spot of resentment from people here and there, but we're now in 2021, and you'd need to be over eighty to really remember it.

Presumably, it will die out, otherwise we may as well be having a pop at the Spanish for the Armada.

Likewise this idea of winning that war is so historically illiterate it’s painful. Funny how it’s always spouted by those competitively proud of being English too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 15:07 - Jul 10 with 549 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 13:20 - Jul 10 by jeera

Clearly he's not referring to just sporting rivalries for pity's sake.

Not sure how that can be missed yet a few have managed it.

He's even spelt it out in one of his posts, as has someone else.

Forgive me, I've not read the full works, the comment is on a story relating to comments made by an England football manager about a football match England played against Ze Germans so I'm sure you'll forgive the conclusion drawn.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 15:32 - Jul 10 with 525 viewsHighgateBlue

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:08 - Jul 10 by footers

Jesus. Some people in this country really are stuck in a timewarp, aren't they? Embarrassing comment.

Yes some people are indeed stuck. Southgate is merely acknowledging that. He’s not saying he shares any particular obsession with the wars. He has his own painful (footballing) history with the Germans after all which must feature more in his consciousness!

The thing I don’t get is why there isn’t anything like the same animosity towards Italy, whom we play tomorrow in the final, when they were on the other side in WW2 also! Do people not know that or something? Oh well, good thing I suppose. We do need to move on from the war. Funnily enough if we’d won in 1990, maybe we already would have!
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 15:47 - Jul 10 with 505 viewseireblue

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 13:25 - Jul 10 by MattinLondon

Ahhh that’s quite a good likeness, if somewhat flattering given his age, of factual B there, nice.
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 15:59 - Jul 10 with 498 viewsfooters

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 15:32 - Jul 10 by HighgateBlue

Yes some people are indeed stuck. Southgate is merely acknowledging that. He’s not saying he shares any particular obsession with the wars. He has his own painful (footballing) history with the Germans after all which must feature more in his consciousness!

The thing I don’t get is why there isn’t anything like the same animosity towards Italy, whom we play tomorrow in the final, when they were on the other side in WW2 also! Do people not know that or something? Oh well, good thing I suppose. We do need to move on from the war. Funnily enough if we’d won in 1990, maybe we already would have!

Think this is a good post to reply to to clear the air, cheers.

Can I say in no way do I want to do away with any national rivalries in sport, that's half of the fun. But all I was, perhaps badly, saying was I don't like all this latent xenophobia creeping into that. As you say, we fought Italy, Japan and countless others in WW2 but don't carry any of that over to our games with them - it's all on footballing terms. I'd just like to see us do that with Germany too.

Germany is a fantastic country and I've a lot of German mates, so maybe it's just me being a sensitive snowflake, but there honestly is no reciprocation on those terms from them (maybe find a Nazi German fan who would?!) - aside from actual football. Constantly hitting someone who has no intention of hitting back seems silly to me.

Dunno, it just depresses me that people are still carrying all this baggage decades after the fact. The world's moved on, we move on, why can't we just enjoy sport as sport and not bring other stuff into it?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 17:17 - Jul 10 with 454 viewsjeera

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 15:59 - Jul 10 by footers

Can I say in no way do I want to do away with any national rivalries in sport, that's half of the fun. But all I was, perhaps badly, saying was I don't like all this latent xenophobia creeping into that. As you say, we fought Italy, Japan and countless others in WW2 but don't carry any of that over to our games with them - it's all on footballing terms. I'd just like to see us do that with Germany too.

Germany is a fantastic country and I've a lot of German mates, so maybe it's just me being a sensitive snowflake, but there honestly is no reciprocation on those terms from them (maybe find a Nazi German fan who would?!) - aside from actual football. Constantly hitting someone who has no intention of hitting back seems silly to me.

Dunno, it just depresses me that people are still carrying all this baggage decades after the fact. The world's moved on, we move on, why can't we just enjoy sport as sport and not bring other stuff into it?

I thought all that was obvious from your first couple of posts and didn't need explaining in any depth but there ya go.

People see what they want to see I s'pose.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 19:13 - Jul 10 with 414 viewsTractorWood

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:36 - Jul 10 by footers

Some time after 1945? You know German fans don't reciprocate this rivalry, right? It's pointless and stupid. Some Brits really need to get over their odd obsession with WW2 and the whole 'ten German bombers' b0llocks - it's pitiful.

Agree. I was at the Germany game and do sprechen a bit. It's entirely unreciprocated as a rivalry and they like England.

The lads behind me were spewing bile for 90 minutes and it's totally unnecessary.

Germany is a great place for a city break or a holiday. Great hospitality, fantastic value and ubiquitously educated and informed locals. Again, not reciprocated.

Ps I'd say the black forest is one of the most amazing regions in Europe to explore.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2021 19:15]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 20:02 - Jul 10 with 378 viewsMullet

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 19:13 - Jul 10 by TractorWood

Agree. I was at the Germany game and do sprechen a bit. It's entirely unreciprocated as a rivalry and they like England.

The lads behind me were spewing bile for 90 minutes and it's totally unnecessary.

Germany is a great place for a city break or a holiday. Great hospitality, fantastic value and ubiquitously educated and informed locals. Again, not reciprocated.

Ps I'd say the black forest is one of the most amazing regions in Europe to explore.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2021 19:15]

The Germans are lovely people too generally. Put it down to war guilt or whatever people want, every time I go there it's cultured, welcoming and interesting.

I remember being completely lost after a storm and bedding down near some woods with no real sign of where we were. A bloke in his 60s/70s was more than happy to chat in perfect English and even curious as to why we were there and how he could help.

Course it might well happen here, but it was just a nice moment.

Plus Berlin is one of my favourite cities.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 21:19 - Jul 10 with 342 viewsGeomorph

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 12:40 - Jul 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Bit like the Scottish justifying hating England due to things that happened centuries ago...

Ongoing eg brexsh1t etc
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 21:24 - Jul 10 with 341 viewsnoggin

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 15:59 - Jul 10 by footers

"As you say, we fought Italy, Japan and countless others in WW2"

No, "we" didn't fight anyone.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024