Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Even sections of the Tory Party 08:40 - Jul 14 with 2833 viewsGuthrum

including some on the right, are getting fed up with the "culture wars" stupidity and how it's playing out.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/13/leading-tory-mp-says-party-must

This bad farce may not have long to run, now.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Even sections of the Tory Party on 08:56 - Jul 14 with 2136 viewsbluelagos

On the same day he and all but 25 of his colleagues voted to cut Foreign Aid by £4bn...

Am sure he knows how it is playing out, but tories are going to tory.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Even sections of the Tory Party on 08:59 - Jul 14 with 2117 viewspointofblue

He, like many, are just playing to their base. The base is outraged at the racism towards the players so, ergo, he acts outraged. The base support the cut in foreign aid and therefore he supports it too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:01 - Jul 14 with 2108 viewswkj

I see it as nothing more than damage limitation. Culture wars and stoking tribalism is now one of the best weapons in politics, so I doubt they will trade off an easy method to power over a renewed moral compass.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:02 - Jul 14 with 2107 viewstractordownsouth

In Wycombe, Baker has a 4,000 majority over Labour, with a 6,000 Lib Dem vote to squeeze. It’s one of the few areas where the Tory vote went down last time and is similar demographics to Chesham and Amersham where they just lost. I imagine it’s down to fear of losing his seat.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 9:02]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:06 - Jul 14 with 2081 viewsitfcjoe

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:02 - Jul 14 by tractordownsouth

In Wycombe, Baker has a 4,000 majority over Labour, with a 6,000 Lib Dem vote to squeeze. It’s one of the few areas where the Tory vote went down last time and is similar demographics to Chesham and Amersham where they just lost. I imagine it’s down to fear of losing his seat.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 9:02]

I think Baker is a fairly consistent free marketeer, who generally appears fairly decent morally but is just so tied to being so libertarian so sometimes his views seem inhumane

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:09 - Jul 14 with 2052 viewsfooters

Spare me the hand wringing and crocodile tears. They've been more than happy to play the culture war game but now they see it's gone too far and want to row back.

Sorry, guys and gals, the damage has been done, and you were all part of it.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:10 - Jul 14 with 2032 views26_Paz

Genuine question. What is a ‘culture war’?

The Paz Man

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:25 - Jul 14 with 1993 viewsfooters

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:10 - Jul 14 by 26_Paz

Something you've been active in participating in.

Also, you know what Google is, right? Just like time you didn't know what soft power is and needed to be spoonfed.

Login to get fewer ads

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:30 - Jul 14 with 1989 viewsTractorWood

This Government are stubborn, short sighted and almost never correct.

The perfect storm of incompetence.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:36 - Jul 14 with 1993 viewsGuthrum

In this context - largely imported from things happening in the USA - it is an attempt to promote what are perceived to be small-c conservative values, a more extreme and activist version of "It's political correctness gone mad!". It is actually a term used by some of its proponents (again, mostly in America).

That, in itself, may not necessarily be seen as a bad thing. However, the way it has been conducted seems to involve stoking up fights which did not really exist (e.g. labelling everything "Marxist", attacking the impartiality of everyone from the BBC to the National Trust, insisting on flag-raising and singing the National Anthem in schools), while also being excessively reactionary and partisan (rejecting all criticism of past UK history, defending statues of slave traders).

It's probably the mindless pseudo-patriotism which offends me the most. All criticism of the UK, past or present, must be furiously refuted, even in the face of historical fact. Allegations of issues such as, for example, institutional racism are taken as a slight upon the nation, rather than a potential problem which ought to be at least investigated. There can seemingly be no admission that we (or our leaders) have ever done things wrong.

For me, that's not rational and it isn't even traditional Conservatism. It's just a farce, pandering to perceptions of a certain type of character whipped up into rage by press demagoguery (this not being a new thing, goes back centuries), whom they hope will boost their vote.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 9:37]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:48 - Jul 14 with 1879 views26_Paz

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:36 - Jul 14 by Guthrum

In this context - largely imported from things happening in the USA - it is an attempt to promote what are perceived to be small-c conservative values, a more extreme and activist version of "It's political correctness gone mad!". It is actually a term used by some of its proponents (again, mostly in America).

That, in itself, may not necessarily be seen as a bad thing. However, the way it has been conducted seems to involve stoking up fights which did not really exist (e.g. labelling everything "Marxist", attacking the impartiality of everyone from the BBC to the National Trust, insisting on flag-raising and singing the National Anthem in schools), while also being excessively reactionary and partisan (rejecting all criticism of past UK history, defending statues of slave traders).

It's probably the mindless pseudo-patriotism which offends me the most. All criticism of the UK, past or present, must be furiously refuted, even in the face of historical fact. Allegations of issues such as, for example, institutional racism are taken as a slight upon the nation, rather than a potential problem which ought to be at least investigated. There can seemingly be no admission that we (or our leaders) have ever done things wrong.

For me, that's not rational and it isn't even traditional Conservatism. It's just a farce, pandering to perceptions of a certain type of character whipped up into rage by press demagoguery (this not being a new thing, goes back centuries), whom they hope will boost their vote.

Thank you

The Paz Man

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:51 - Jul 14 with 1886 viewsEdwardStone

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:36 - Jul 14 by Guthrum

You are truly a kind and patient man Mr G
Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:54 - Jul 14 with 1861 viewsmrshallisfit

Spell it out to paz in big letters with pretty pictures.
Even sections of the Tory Party on 10:06 - Jul 14 with 1830 viewsbluelagos

Even sections of the Tory Party on 08:56 - Jul 14 by bluelagos

On the same day he and all but 25 of his colleagues voted to cut Foreign Aid by £4bn...

Am sure he knows how it is playing out, but tories are going to tory.

Better put by Mr Conn.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Even sections of the Tory Party on 10:08 - Jul 14 with 1817 viewsClapham_Junction

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:06 - Jul 14 by itfcjoe

I think Baker is a fairly consistent free marketeer, who generally appears fairly decent morally but is just so tied to being so libertarian so sometimes his views seem inhumane

Do morals extend to not being a climate change denier? He's on the board of trustees of the Global Warming Policy Foundation.

I'd struggle to say anyone involved in an organisation like that is decent.
Even sections of the Tory Party on 11:08 - Jul 14 with 1664 views26_Paz

Even sections of the Tory Party on 09:25 - Jul 14 by footers

Something you've been active in participating in.

Also, you know what Google is, right? Just like time you didn't know what soft power is and needed to be spoonfed.

I could have google it, correct. However, I wanted to see how you guys defined it so I could properly understand how it is being used in this context. I would assume this is the reason I have been asked to define the term ‘woke’ on here previously.

The Paz Man

Even sections of the Tory Party on 11:37 - Jul 14 with 1607 viewsleitrimblue

Well played Paz. POTD
Even sections of the Tory Party on 11:41 - Jul 14 with 1587 viewsXYZ

Even sections of the Tory Party on 11:08 - Jul 14 by 26_Paz

I could have google it, correct. However, I wanted to see how you guys defined it so I could properly understand how it is being used in this context. I would assume this is the reason I have been asked to define the term ‘woke’ on here previously.

How would you define "disingenuous"?
Even sections of the Tory Party on 12:48 - Jul 14 with 1475 viewsDarth_Koont

A radical libertarian is just taking the place of someone who is going to do something for this country and his or her constituents.

Ideologically, this lot don’t believe they should take responsibility and the best thing is to do nothing. But there’s no rational evidence for deregulation and small government working for anyone except those who are poised to cream off the benefits like Russian oligarchs dismantling the Soviet Union in the 1990s.

Pronouns: He/Him

Even sections of the Tory Party on 13:01 - Jul 14 with 1435 viewsjaykay

Even sections of the Tory Party on 10:08 - Jul 14 by Clapham_Junction

Do morals extend to not being a climate change denier? He's on the board of trustees of the Global Warming Policy Foundation.

I'd struggle to say anyone involved in an organisation like that is decent.

so he only a skin deep decent m.p. as someone earlier said he is worried about his seat

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Even sections of the Tory Party on 13:02 - Jul 14 with 1437 viewstractordownsouth

I’d disagree on that. His liberation principles didn’t extend to voting against the policing bill (the one that significantly reduces protesting rights) which seems hypocritical. David Davis I have respect for as a liberation. He voted seems to hold a consistent stance on these things, despite how useless he was as Brexit secretary.

Even sections of the Tory Party on 13:07 - Jul 14 with 1416 viewsfooters

Even sections of the Tory Party on 13:02 - Jul 14 by tractordownsouth

I’d disagree on that. His liberation principles didn’t extend to voting against the policing bill (the one that significantly reduces protesting rights) which seems hypocritical. David Davis I have respect for as a liberation. He voted seems to hold a consistent stance on these things, despite how useless he was as Brexit secretary.

Davis I always used to hold in pretty high regard for a Tory. As you say, he was generally consistent in his beliefs and spoke a great deal of sense when it came to personal liberties, especially on ID cards and the like.

His time as Brexit Sec though, oowee.

Even sections of the Tory Party on 13:13 - Jul 14 with 1394 viewstractordownsouth

Even sections of the Tory Party on 13:07 - Jul 14 by footers

Davis I always used to hold in pretty high regard for a Tory. As you say, he was generally consistent in his beliefs and spoke a great deal of sense when it came to personal liberties, especially on ID cards and the like.

Obviously I disagree with him on economics but I respect his consistency rather than the likes of Rees-Mogg who cut taxes one week because they "don't want government interference" in peoples' lives but then try and restrict access to gay marriage and abortions in the instance of rape the next week.

Even sections of the Tory Party on 14:31 - Jul 14 with 1280 viewsBlueBadger

The bigoted dog-whistling, feeble gesture politics and over-the-top flag-shagging that you lap up like a thirsty, yet racist, labrador.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Even sections of the Tory Party on 14:35 - Jul 14 with 1263 viewsBlueBadger

Even sections of the Tory Party on 13:07 - Jul 14 by footers

The thing about Tory libertarians(and libertarians in general) is this: they're all in favour of 'no government interference' until it comes to people who aren't white, male, straight and well-off.

Then they're bang in favour of them.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10162/david_davis/haltemprice_and_howden/divis
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 14:36]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024