Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Two observations about last night: 09:35 - Aug 18 with 3026 viewsGuthrum

1) Those blasted long throw-ins. It's like facing a corner every five minutes.

2) We have some astonishingly talented players, able to skip past whole bunches of defenders and still retain the ball, get it to a team-mate, or win a free kick.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Two observations about last night: on 09:41 - Aug 18 with 2424 viewsChrisd

The long throw ins shouldn't have come as any surprise to them last night, this is what Cheltenham had built their success on last season. Feel they are worse than crosses because of their trajectory and Tozer has such good delivery of them they are real threat. We certainly have got some talented footballers in our squad, but I wonder if we have enough toughness and substance in the side? Last night was like Burton, if we can't win it, don't lose it and once again we've conceded in those final 10 minutes.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Two observations about last night: on 09:52 - Aug 18 with 2348 viewsKeno

Two observations about last night: on 09:41 - Aug 18 by Chrisd

The long throw ins shouldn't have come as any surprise to them last night, this is what Cheltenham had built their success on last season. Feel they are worse than crosses because of their trajectory and Tozer has such good delivery of them they are real threat. We certainly have got some talented footballers in our squad, but I wonder if we have enough toughness and substance in the side? Last night was like Burton, if we can't win it, don't lose it and once again we've conceded in those final 10 minutes.

It sums up what a few have said in that we need a Tony Mowbray at the back and real nasty sh1thouse of a defensive midfielder

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Two observations about last night: on 09:53 - Aug 18 with 2333 viewsGuthrum

Even if not a surprise, those throws must be very tricky to defend against. He gets the ball to drop almost vertically into the knot of players in front of goal.

Heads did drop a bit after we conceded last night. Another possible confidence issue was the occasions when we recycled the ball back into midfield rather than driving at the defence. Donacien on the right* doing this particularly often as the game progressed.

That having been said, we did pass it across the pitch with decent pace and accuracy.

* Edit: On the right. My left in the second half. D'oh!
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 9:56]

Two observations about last night: on 09:55 - Aug 18 with 2310 viewsGuthrum

Two observations about last night: on 09:52 - Aug 18 by Keno

It sums up what a few have said in that we need a Tony Mowbray at the back and real nasty sh1thouse of a defensive midfielder

It'll be interesting to see what difference Edmundson makes when he gets fit. Thought Burgess did a good job.

Two observations about last night: on 09:57 - Aug 18 with 2279 viewsKeno

Two observations about last night: on 09:55 - Aug 18 by Guthrum

It'll be interesting to see what difference Edmundson makes when he gets fit. Thought Burgess did a good job.

I though he did well and, unless you look at the long throws, he and Wollfie have the makings of a fairly solid pairing

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Two observations about last night: on 09:59 - Aug 18 with 2263 viewsNW10_Tractor

But on the plus side, Kyle Edwards looks amazing. Quick feet - isn't scared to run at players and is usually available to receive a pass. There were times last night where there were two Cheltenham players on him as they know how dangerous he is.

There will be games where he will come up against a RB or LB where he will skin them for fun in every move. A very entertaining player to watch...

Harlesden's Arrogantly Talented with the Skill Abilities And not a bad goalkeeper either....
Poll: How would you like Town to win the league

Resilience and 'tackling adversity' (or whatever it is) on 10:00 - Aug 18 with 2257 viewsunstableblue

Watching the highlights those throws really are worse than corners or crosses, they are sort of powered into a zone in front of the keeper, and drop late.. really tough

But our players are simply not 'Wanting it More' than the opposition at present... the defenders have got to attack those throws... and the desire to challenge this adversity head on

I am also getting very concerned that the pressure is mounting on the players. And I am not sure they are showing the resilience and character and to take on these 'lesser' teams who are frankly playing up above their ability against us.. we're not matching it i'm afraid

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Two observations about last night: on 10:02 - Aug 18 with 2243 viewsGuthrum

Two observations about last night: on 09:59 - Aug 18 by NW10_Tractor

But on the plus side, Kyle Edwards looks amazing. Quick feet - isn't scared to run at players and is usually available to receive a pass. There were times last night where there were two Cheltenham players on him as they know how dangerous he is.

There will be games where he will come up against a RB or LB where he will skin them for fun in every move. A very entertaining player to watch...

He was particularly the one I was thinking of with my second point, but others were doing it too.

Login to get fewer ads

Two observations about last night: on 10:10 - Aug 18 with 2186 viewsjayessess

Two observations about last night: on 09:52 - Aug 18 by Keno

Burgess won more headers last season than any other defender in League One, so is it 2 Mowbrays we need?

I think the long throws were mostly defendable. There's a reason most successful sides don't build their attack around long throws and it isn't just because most don't have a thrower quite as good as Tozer. Most of theirs last night didn't lead to anything much.

I'd say our general trouble at the moment is that we're alternating periods of sterile domination (the 15 minutes after half time, where we camped in their half without putting in any crosses, playing any through balls or taking any shots) with periods where we concede territory for too long, because we can't find a way of getting quality possession up the pitch. Their equaliser was about that rather than the long throw (which we successfully cleared) and it was their equaliser that turned the game's momemtum.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 10:11]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Two observations about last night: on 10:10 - Aug 18 with 2185 viewsNW10_Tractor

Two observations about last night: on 10:02 - Aug 18 by Guthrum

He was particularly the one I was thinking of with my second point, but others were doing it too.

As entertaining as he is, I just hope that he doesn't become a one trick pony. Edwards gets the ball and you know he is going to run at you... Teams can counter that by doubling up on him -

Harlesden's Arrogantly Talented with the Skill Abilities And not a bad goalkeeper either....
Poll: How would you like Town to win the league

Two observations about last night: on 10:14 - Aug 18 with 2163 viewsRegencyBlue

I think our problems currently stem from the fact that defence was the last area of the team to be really sorted out transfer in wise.

Having said that there are a few things which were concerning last night. I still don't understand why we buy the best No10 in the League last season and then play him in anything but the No10 role. As for bringing on Jackson to rescue the game - seriously!

I still think we will come good, nothing is won or lost in August, but we need to get that first win under our belt to calm everyone down.
Two observations about last night: on 10:30 - Aug 18 with 2046 viewsGuthrum

Two observations about last night: on 10:10 - Aug 18 by NW10_Tractor

As entertaining as he is, I just hope that he doesn't become a one trick pony. Edwards gets the ball and you know he is going to run at you... Teams can counter that by doubling up on him -

They doubled and tripled up on him last night, but he was mostly still able to get through (tho I think he tired somewhat later in the game).

Two observations about last night: on 10:34 - Aug 18 with 2019 viewsPinewoodblue

Two observations about last night: on 10:14 - Aug 18 by RegencyBlue

I think our problems currently stem from the fact that defence was the last area of the team to be really sorted out transfer in wise.

Having said that there are a few things which were concerning last night. I still don't understand why we buy the best No10 in the League last season and then play him in anything but the No10 role. As for bringing on Jackson to rescue the game - seriously!

I still think we will come good, nothing is won or lost in August, but we need to get that first win under our belt to calm everyone down.

We have to score more than we concede. We just aren’t scoring enough.

Chances are being created but the end product is missing. We will see the answer on Saturday but they won’t be wearing blue.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Two observations about last night: on 10:34 - Aug 18 with 2021 viewsGuthrum

Two observations about last night: on 10:14 - Aug 18 by RegencyBlue

The Jackson one confused most people. I had more expected to see someone like Dobra. Not sure Kayden actually got a touch of the ball in the time he was on.

I do wonder if, as someone suggested to me last night, we were in for a high-quality CB, but the transfer didn't come off.

Two observations about last night: on 12:27 - Aug 18 with 1835 viewsRyorry

From yours' and others' descriptions here, we sound like a team of shiny new Alfa Romeos hastily assembled from summer sales, up against a team of solid old Landrover Defenders, who've been practised at pulling together for the past 3 years!

Was the brightest bit for you being able to get home very quickly, or was that bettered by anything else on the pitch?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Two observations about last night: on 12:33 - Aug 18 with 1797 viewsGuthrum

Two observations about last night: on 12:27 - Aug 18 by Ryorry

From yours' and others' descriptions here, we sound like a team of shiny new Alfa Romeos hastily assembled from summer sales, up against a team of solid old Landrover Defenders, who've been practised at pulling together for the past 3 years!

Was the brightest bit for you being able to get home very quickly, or was that bettered by anything else on the pitch?

The individual quality of some of our new signings was a constant delight throughout the game. The things they were able to do on the ball. I'll take that as the primary positive from last night.

Being home early was good, but I then avoided coming on here until things had died down a bit.

Two observations about last night: on 13:06 - Aug 18 with 1703 viewsCotty

But that means we have a player completely free
Two observations about last night: on 13:09 - Aug 18 with 1679 viewsDarth_Koont

I thought his passing/link up play was pretty good. He certainly doesn’t play with his head down and always try to beat players.

Pronouns: He/Him

Two observations about last night: on 13:14 - Aug 18 with 1647 viewsEly_Blue

Two observations about last night: on 09:57 - Aug 18 by Keno

I though he did well and, unless you look at the long throws, he and Wollfie have the makings of a fairly solid pairing

Wolf is too weak

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Two observations about last night: on 13:24 - Aug 18 with 1594 viewsPinewoodblue

Two observations about last night: on 13:14 - Aug 18 by Ely_Blue

Wolf is too weak

He is also the only player to have been on the pitch for every minutes play since the season started.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Two observations about last night: on 13:47 - Aug 18 with 1507 viewsKeaneish

They were better than corners, flatter, faster and more accurate.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Two observations about last night: on 13:47 - Aug 18 with 1505 viewsGuthrum

Two observations about last night: on 13:06 - Aug 18 by Cotty

But that means we have a player completely free

Which we often did last night. And were pretty good at spreading it wide to them. Unfortunately the further exploitation from there was not always as positive as it might have been.

Two observations about last night: on 14:09 - Aug 18 with 1436 viewsSouperJim

Two observations about last night: on 10:34 - Aug 18 by Guthrum

The Jackson one confused most people. I had more expected to see someone like Dobra. Not sure Kayden actually got a touch of the ball in the time he was on.

I do wonder if, as someone suggested to me last night, we were in for a high-quality CB, but the transfer didn't come off.

The Jackson substitution was designed to exploit counter-attacking opportunities, we'd had 2 or 3 just before he came on where sheer pace looked like it might create a goal scoring opportunity off the back of one of their aerial bombardments.

It failed miserably, but I could understand Cook's thinking.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Two observations about last night: on 14:19 - Aug 18 with 1397 views_sanctimoanious_

Yes the long throws really killed us and Cheltenham sensed that/ I think they were the perfect weapon to exploit the fact we are a team of strangers and thus not yet a well-drilled unit to deal with such a threat.
Two observations about last night: on 14:21 - Aug 18 with 1390 viewsjayessess

Two observations about last night: on 14:09 - Aug 18 by SouperJim

The Jackson substitution was designed to exploit counter-attacking opportunities, we'd had 2 or 3 just before he came on where sheer pace looked like it might create a goal scoring opportunity off the back of one of their aerial bombardments.

It failed miserably, but I could understand Cook's thinking.

Given that Edwards carrying the ball at speed was our main threat, I would've thought introducing the other player we have who carries the ball at speed might have been in order...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024