Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) 12:18 - Aug 20 with 10437 viewsMaySixth

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 23:42 - Aug 20 with 1383 viewsOsborneOneNil

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 19:05 - Aug 20 by RadioOrwell

Not on anything he has done with us.
But...

that penalty miss ...
that Bonne miss at 0-1 ...

This is it, exactly. It’s all a bit underwhelming, and I’m a huge Cook fan and desperate for him to succeed…but for a penalty miss and a open goal howler we could quite easily be sat on 7 points and loving life.

I don’t get to see many games due to location, but a large chunk of that first hour at Cheltenham was the best I’ve seen us, in a long long time. We looked good, we looked like a quality outfit.

I think we’ll be buzzing in a month or so.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:15 - Aug 22 with 1258 viewsMaySixth

Thanks - please keep comments coming as aids significantly to my TWTD experience.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 23:05 - Aug 22 with 1190 viewsistanblue

Off the pitch he has been excellent. He's made some fantastic signings (on paper), reconnected the club with the fans, worked seamlessly with the transition to new ownership etc.

On the pitch however has been a totally different story. 4 wins in 21 is nothing short of abysmal. He made a total pigs ear of the end of last season. Don't forget Cook came in with the team 1pt off play-offs, then oversaw a total and embarrassing collapse including ignominious 3-0 defeats to minnows AFC Wimbledon and Northampton. The start to this season has also seen some new lows (losing to Burton and Cheltenham for the first times ever).

His performance as manager has been a mixed bag. But ultimately results dictate success and his results have been very very poor.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 23:31 - Aug 22 with 1163 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 23:05 - Aug 22 by istanblue

Off the pitch he has been excellent. He's made some fantastic signings (on paper), reconnected the club with the fans, worked seamlessly with the transition to new ownership etc.

On the pitch however has been a totally different story. 4 wins in 21 is nothing short of abysmal. He made a total pigs ear of the end of last season. Don't forget Cook came in with the team 1pt off play-offs, then oversaw a total and embarrassing collapse including ignominious 3-0 defeats to minnows AFC Wimbledon and Northampton. The start to this season has also seen some new lows (losing to Burton and Cheltenham for the first times ever).

His performance as manager has been a mixed bag. But ultimately results dictate success and his results have been very very poor.

Don't forget that bunch of sh1thehouses who lost to Wimbledon and Northamption refused to work harder on the training pitch and downed the tools.

But that teams skipper and homegrown products have been the angels haven't they?
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 06:31 - Aug 23 with 1104 viewssaffers12

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 22:54 - Aug 20 by pointofblue

For me our recruitment has been unbalanced which is an issue we might fall foul from. Midfield and attack has been superb - what League One team wouldn't want Carroll, Harper, Evans, Burns, Barry, Edwards, Chaplin, Fraser, Bonne and Pigott to making up their team?

The issue is defence. Our keeper has come from League Two, Penney has issues defensively which had already been reported by Wednesday fans. We'll see what Coulson can do in comparison but has suffered from Covid. Edmundson's experience has mainly come at League Two. Burgess has played for a mid-table League One team as part of a three, whereas we prefer a back four. When you compare the relative experience and skill bought in going forward to keeping us tight at the back it's chalk and cheese.

Whatever happens going forward I think we will keep leaking at the back. What can Cook do about it? He'll have to find a way that we work moving forward so we consistently keep possession, preventing attacks on our goal.

His track record says he should be capable of getting this done - but he can't have an unlimited amount of time to manage it.

Great Post,spot on
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 07:58 - Aug 23 with 1076 viewsPioneerBlue

I rate Paul Cook very highly based on record, the way he’s identified what needs to happen, then worked with Mark Ashton to bring targets to the club to fix things; also moved the dead weight that was clearly part of the death culture.

I’m giving him at least this season to shape the team and get us out of L1. It’s likely further players will be required before promotion is achieved, right first time is an aim at best that is January, it could be next summer.

Unless there is a monumental breakdown Paul Cook needs this season then reevaluate in the summer.

I’d rather we didn’t get ourselves caught into this trap that we been in where half the fan base looks to make an assessment each Oct. we have departed with the past we should see how things look next May.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 08:13 - Aug 23 with 1058 viewsElephantintheRoom

Given his utterly appallling record last season - and dismembering of the club you allegedly support that is a very odd question.

There is nothing about the man to rate at present - apart from his arrogance and incompetence.. BUT it IS early days.

Presumably your post is a wind up - but a better question would be why people might rate Cook - as he has a lot to improve on if he is suddenly going to appear a competent manager.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 08:43 - Aug 23 with 1035 viewsHerbivore

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 08:13 - Aug 23 by ElephantintheRoom

Given his utterly appallling record last season - and dismembering of the club you allegedly support that is a very odd question.

There is nothing about the man to rate at present - apart from his arrogance and incompetence.. BUT it IS early days.

Presumably your post is a wind up - but a better question would be why people might rate Cook - as he has a lot to improve on if he is suddenly going to appear a competent manager.

So edgy.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 08:53 - Aug 23 with 1021 viewshype313

Tighten up at the back, and we will be fine.

For anyone who has witnessed our games will have quite clearly seen that.

The rest can eagerly wait for the start of the new school term.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 09:48 - Aug 23 with 984 viewsMarkp68

Me, I was decidedly underwhelmed when he got the job and I’m waiting to be convinced.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 11:35 - Aug 23 with 913 viewsTexaco73

I can only rate him on his performance here.

Previous success at clubs counts for nothing IMO.

Besides those successes were with Liam Richardson as 2nd.
Maybe he is a Lambert Mk2 who was nothing without Culverhouse.

His record so far is poor.
It's a results business and he needs to start getting them.

Maybe he just has the Marcus Evans curse. Pretty much everything he touched turned to brown stuff and as ME appointed him....
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:00 - Aug 23 with 871 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 09:48 - Aug 23 by Markp68

Me, I was decidedly underwhelmed when he got the job and I’m waiting to be convinced.

Why were you underwhelmed when he got the job? You must have very high standards, and must be in a very tiny minority of people who were underwhelmed by what he did in his previous jobs.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:01 - Aug 23 with 869 viewshype313

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:00 - Aug 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

Why were you underwhelmed when he got the job? You must have very high standards, and must be in a very tiny minority of people who were underwhelmed by what he did in his previous jobs.

He was expecting Brendan Rodgers.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:02 - Aug 23 with 866 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 11:35 - Aug 23 by Texaco73

Maybe he just has the Marcus Evans curse. Pretty much everything he touched turned to brown stuff and as ME appointed him....

How can previous success count for nothing? That's what he was hired on.

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:55 - Aug 23 with 787 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:01 - Aug 23 by hype313

He was expecting Brendan Rodgers.

Does make you wonder.

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:04 - Aug 24 with 673 viewsTexaco73

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:02 - Aug 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

How can previous success count for nothing? That's what he was hired on.

That's what got him the job but doesn't mean he will definitely be successful here.
Different club, different players, different coaching staff, different owners e.t.c so a totally different.
Sure he has experience of being successful in the past but that only matters if you can use it today.
It makes no different we have won the league and cups in the past. It's irrelevant to the performance of the club now.
Therefore my statement that previous success counts for nothing is that the past is the past. Counts for nothing until he can prove himself here.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:20 - Aug 24 with 634 viewsWilbrahamBlue

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 18:19 - Aug 20 by Bluefish

Why people throw up managers that have come good after a bad start but the number that didn't come good outweigh then by miles

The fact remains Cook has been very very poor since he has been here across the end of one season and the very start of another. A new squad has produced the same performances and results so far. He needs to fix it and anyone still hanging on to giving a season or half a season at current levels or citing improved performances is an utter moron

On the one hand you said we should ignore the 'Covid seasons' in terms of promoted teams and how many games they lost as that's not a fair judgement?

But in relation to your Cook agenda you relentlessly cite Covid season games in your judgement of his performance to date?

Is Covid a mitigating factor or not?
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:01 - Aug 24 with 599 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:04 - Aug 24 by Texaco73

That's what got him the job but doesn't mean he will definitely be successful here.
Different club, different players, different coaching staff, different owners e.t.c so a totally different.
Sure he has experience of being successful in the past but that only matters if you can use it today.
It makes no different we have won the league and cups in the past. It's irrelevant to the performance of the club now.
Therefore my statement that previous success counts for nothing is that the past is the past. Counts for nothing until he can prove himself here.

Indeed, nobody would definitely be a success here, not even Klopp or Pep. Rather a moot point though isn't it? Cook has been successful at different clubs with different players; unless we're cursed there's no obvious reason why he'd suddenly forget how to be a successful football manager... and he now has a team hand-picked by himself.

All we can do is give him a chance, give him time to get his ideas across and get the players repeating them until they become second nature.

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:19 - Aug 24 with 587 views3_5_2

I rate him based on what he has achieved in his management career but admit to starting to doubt him a bit

Couple of wins (soon) and he will kick on hopefully

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 18:18 - Aug 24 with 550 viewsKeaneish

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 11:35 - Aug 23 by Texaco73

Just a point of note as the Leam Richardson thing gathers pace, Cook did win silverware in Ireland before he teamed up with Richardson. Cook also replaced Richardson who was caretaker manager at Accrington and made him his assistant when at Chesterfield.

These things are getting overlooked at the moment.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024