Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) 12:18 - Aug 20 with 10446 viewsMaySixth

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:53 - Aug 20 with 1197 views_sanctimoanious_

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:27 - Aug 20 by BiGDonnie

This is one of my issues. Why would he come in and tell everyone they're out when so much was still to play for. Maybe a more intelligent manager would have thought 'maybe I'll need these boys over the remaining 10/15 games, let's not fook em off just yet'?

You really think that was how it played out? You think the first thing he did was tell everyone they're out? He tried everything to get a tune out of them before that conclusion.

Don;t understand the clamour for Cowley either. He wouldn't have got us up last season and the football would be more agricultural.

Appleton I like and is a top coach but his managerial record isn't exactly glowing.

Cook was by far the strongest and most logical appointment and as O'Leary has said HE WAS THEIR FIRST CHOICE. Good things come to to those who wait. I like cook as a man and think he will do well here.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:00 - Aug 20 with 1199 views_sanctimoanious_

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:17 - Aug 20 by itfcjoe

Hard one to answer - he's obviously a very good manager as has an excellent record.

But he's done nothing so far to suggest he is the man to take us forwards - but still early days.

I don't see the need to put a manager on a pedestal so early - he needs to earn the respect of fans for me, and will do so by putting some performances and results together.

WIth the squad we have, I expect that to happen quite quickly from here, and have little doubts we'll be there or thereabouts soon

there is juuuust a little bit of you that wants him to fail. Very carefully worded snipes. You keep reiterating "with the squad we have" yes Cooky has put together a strong squad at this level which other men may not have been able to do......considering soooo many were saying it would be near impossible to do.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:05 - Aug 20 with 1185 viewsitfcjoe

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:00 - Aug 20 by _sanctimoanious_

there is juuuust a little bit of you that wants him to fail. Very carefully worded snipes. You keep reiterating "with the squad we have" yes Cooky has put together a strong squad at this level which other men may not have been able to do......considering soooo many were saying it would be near impossible to do.

Why would I want him to fail? The squad has been signed for him, if we change managers it sets us back - if we change managers this season can almost guarantee we will still be in League 1 next year which is a disaster for the club.

The squad has been put together between Ashton and Cook, and it's very good because we are chucking lots of money about - I'm sure Paul Cook was a factor in some of their signings, but I'm equally sure with another manager we'd have also put together a very good squad, but in their image

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:11 - Aug 20 with 1152 viewsSwansea_Blue

Still waiting patiently for him to improve us...

His record is all well and good, but PJ, Keane, Hurst and Lambert had all done good stuff at some point before joining us. Maybe it'll come good. There are some signs, but then how many false dawns have we had before (e.g. compare the start of the last 2 seasons to the start of this one)?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:11 - Aug 20 with 1156 views_sanctimoanious_

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:05 - Aug 20 by itfcjoe

Why would I want him to fail? The squad has been signed for him, if we change managers it sets us back - if we change managers this season can almost guarantee we will still be in League 1 next year which is a disaster for the club.

The squad has been put together between Ashton and Cook, and it's very good because we are chucking lots of money about - I'm sure Paul Cook was a factor in some of their signings, but I'm equally sure with another manager we'd have also put together a very good squad, but in their image

It's just being set-up that if he fails he's awful but should he succeed he bloody well should considering the squad Ashton has built for him. Correct not to throw credit before it's due but if we do have success he would have be instrumental to it.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:12 - Aug 20 with 1153 viewsStewart27

On his Ipswich record - absolutely not. The worst of a very long list at the moment. He’s 3 Paul’s worse than Jewell.

However, he’s done enough in the past to warrant time. Not much though.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:13 - Aug 20 with 1153 viewsPendejo

So far, no.

We should have stumbled into play offs last season, end of season form so bad but only missed out by very few points. A man of his reputation should have been able to achieve that.

Now with multiple signings there's no immediate sign of progress, before anyone mentions gelling... Exhibit X - Morecambe, Portsmouth and Sheffield Wednesday

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:14 - Aug 20 with 1151 viewspeterleeblue

Certainly willing to give him time.

However could it be that he is well known at this level and many other coaches / managers know what to expect from a Cook team.

So far we seem to have been well neutralised by most team as soon as we play our hand the opposing manager makes changes and then that appears to be us done.

On the other hand i'd rather cling to the missed penalty and the open goal miss and suggest that things could be so much better. However the clock is certainly ticking.
Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:15 - Aug 20 with 1147 viewsitfcjoe

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:11 - Aug 20 by _sanctimoanious_

It's just being set-up that if he fails he's awful but should he succeed he bloody well should considering the squad Ashton has built for him. Correct not to throw credit before it's due but if we do have success he would have be instrumental to it.

Getting promotion's isn't easy, winning titles isn't easy - if he does those things for us, even with the very good squad which should be competing he will have done an excellent job to get us over the line and will deserve and rightly get a huge amount of credit

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:18 - Aug 20 with 1134 viewsHerbivore

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:12 - Aug 20 by Stewart27

On his Ipswich record - absolutely not. The worst of a very long list at the moment. He’s 3 Paul’s worse than Jewell.

However, he’s done enough in the past to warrant time. Not much though.

Not sure I agree that he's made the worst start of any of our managers. Didn't Keane go 15 games without a win in his first full season? Hurst only won one game in his entire spell. Lambert won three or four games in over half a season, one of which was a dead rubber. It's been a very disappointing start but we've had worse, depressingly.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:20 - Aug 20 with 1122 views_sanctimoanious_

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:15 - Aug 20 by itfcjoe

Getting promotion's isn't easy, winning titles isn't easy - if he does those things for us, even with the very good squad which should be competing he will have done an excellent job to get us over the line and will deserve and rightly get a huge amount of credit

suppose I'm desperately clinging to the positives as can't bear another failure.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:22 - Aug 20 with 1121 viewsGarv

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:32 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

They've mostly been 1-2s so far though. I'm not sure we are the creative force you suggest, we're not creating loads of chances by any stretch. The Morecambe and Cheltenham keepers barely had a save to make.

I did caveat the post with 'on paper' and said 'IF they're going to turn into 2-2s and 3-2s', to be fair.

I agree though, in fact I think the first half against Cheltenham was overrated - we didn't create that much. Same against Morecambe really, but we still scored two.

Essentially, the intent is there in terms of recruitment. That was my point really. I'd rather lose 3-4 than 0-1, and I'd rather win 4-3 than 1-0.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:23 - Aug 20 with 1115 viewsitfcjoe

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:20 - Aug 20 by _sanctimoanious_

suppose I'm desperately clinging to the positives as can't bear another failure.

Nope, would be very tough to take - and frustrating as finally feels as though the club has turned a corner

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:27 - Aug 20 with 1104 viewsStewart27

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:18 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

Not sure I agree that he's made the worst start of any of our managers. Didn't Keane go 15 games without a win in his first full season? Hurst only won one game in his entire spell. Lambert won three or four games in over half a season, one of which was a dead rubber. It's been a very disappointing start but we've had worse, depressingly.

I may have been slightly over doing it a bit.

Cook’s record just sticks out as it’s current. That combined with the fact we’re in league one and the end of last season is the lowest I’ve ever been as a town fan.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:28 - Aug 20 with 1094 viewsBluefish

Welcome to my world. We some of the most ridiculously stupid supporters in football. They just can't see any context at all and don't seem to ever see their past mistakes.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:31 - Aug 20 with 1099 viewsHerbivore

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:27 - Aug 20 by Stewart27

I may have been slightly over doing it a bit.

Cook’s record just sticks out as it’s current. That combined with the fact we’re in league one and the end of last season is the lowest I’ve ever been as a town fan.

I feel you, mate. Our crapness has been pretty relentless. It's depressing that as bad as Cook's start has been it's probably as good a start as a Town manager has made since Mick. I did a bit of sick in my mouth typing that.

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:37 - Aug 20 with 1078 views_sanctimoanious_

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:28 - Aug 20 by Bluefish

Welcome to my world. We some of the most ridiculously stupid supporters in football. They just can't see any context at all and don't seem to ever see their past mistakes.

Don't be too hard on yourself mate.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 15:13 - Aug 20 with 1011 viewsIllinoisblue

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:08 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

We can't afford to give him a full season irrespective of performances though. What if we're bottom 6 in November or December? Do we continue to persevere with him knowing this season might be a write off or do we make a change and hope for improvement?

I'm sure it won't come to that, we have serious quality in the squad and Cook has a proven track record, but I can't get behind giving him a whole season as essentially a free hit.

What have we become when we won’t even give a manager a full season?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 15:20 - Aug 20 with 997 viewstimothyeo

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:28 - Aug 20 by Keaneish

I agree but, the second half against Cheltenham has put me on edge a little. The lack of presence of mind to change it concerns me and when a side makes naive, tactical mistakes, it causes doubt.

I can handle fullbacks being caught out of position if we're showing attacking intent. What i cant accept is giving away needless throw-ins, which play to the opposition's strengths giving them a way back in the game.

Was fundamentally a concern last season, regardless of who the players were, that he showed no ability of being able to change the flow of a game, counter the opposition with alternate tactics, or anything of the sort.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 15:20 - Aug 20 with 995 viewsKeaneish

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:50 - Aug 20 by itfcjoe

The squad had just picked up 10 points in 4 games against fellow top 8-9 clubs - it's not right to say they'd checked out.

Lambert taking the backward step and Gill picking the team had lifted the spirits - we'd gone from boring passive passing football to a more direct game and had picked up results.

Fair point. Maybe checked out was the wrong expression but it was an ailing squad. Some handed in transfer requests, some trained with the under 23s, players in the twilight of their careers, some seemingly completely absent with a bunch of loans supplementing the cracks.

Not a great inheritance without taking into account how bloated it was.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 15:28 - Aug 20 with 988 viewsHerbivore

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 15:13 - Aug 20 by Illinoisblue

Would you have given Hurst the full season?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 15:34 - Aug 20 with 975 viewsjayessess

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 15:13 - Aug 20 by Illinoisblue

Out of curiosity, should Hurst have had a full season?

Personally, I don't think there's any moment in Ipswich's modern history where we'd have persisted with a manager for a full season without any regard to results or context. I'm also not convinced that you really believe it. Everyone's got a line where the manager's job just isn't tenable. We're bottom at Christmas and you keep him in? How about bottom in February?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 15:38 - Aug 20 with 968 viewsWilbrahamBlue

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:08 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

We can't afford to give him a full season irrespective of performances though. What if we're bottom 6 in November or December? Do we continue to persevere with him knowing this season might be a write off or do we make a change and hope for improvement?

I'm sure it won't come to that, we have serious quality in the squad and Cook has a proven track record, but I can't get behind giving him a whole season as essentially a free hit.

We cant afford NOT to give him this season, unless something has to go stratospherically wrong over the next 2 months.

Like someone coming in mid-season needing to get to know the team and players is far less risky?

He's been given the tools now we need to let him live or die on his sword. Top six is the realistic minimum for Cook by Christmas wouldn't you agree? and if we have developed a consistent playing style, score some goals and have become more cohesive there's the platform to go on surely?
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 15:39 - Aug 20 with 967 viewsVic

Would it be a disaster though! Certainly not good, but the CEO, chairman and Owners have all at time said that the goal is promotion ASAP, either this season or next so I’m not sure it’s promotion or bust for them. I suspect a sustained push in the P/O’s would just about be enough to keep him on. But anything less will see him gone pretty sharpish. I reckon if we’re not looking like having a push for the PO’s by November his cards will,be marked and we’ll have a new manager before the January window.

That said, I still expect PC to get this show on the road.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 15:53 - Aug 20 with 939 viewsWilbrahamBlue

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 14:28 - Aug 20 by Bluefish

How will you cope Bluefish.....

...if these penalties aren't missed.
...if Bonne uses his head on the line.
...if these 60 minute periods of serious promise turns into 90.
...when these talented/highly desired players (from our direct rivals and even the league above) play together more and develop an improved understanding of each other.
...when we start to climb the table, score some goals and win some games...

I'm genuinely intrigued as to your angle when the inevitable upturn in results starts to manifest...

Would you have it within yourself to get onboard with change?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024