Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) 12:18 - Aug 20 with 10436 viewsMaySixth

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:33 - Aug 20 with 1712 viewsBiGDonnie

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:46 - Aug 20 by Keaneish

Why's that an issue though? Our squad is infinitely better than it was last season and had last season's squad been promoted, we'd have had to replace half of it anyway seeing as 13 of them have dropped to lower leagues.

This is a non-issue for me. I'd liked to have seen better results at the tail end of last season but that squad had checked out well before Cook arrived and he knew it.

The issue being that we could have been promoted last season???

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:39 - Aug 20 with 1716 viewsKropotkin123

In his previous managerial roles he has done very well. I rate his "pedigree" or whatever you want to call it.

I rate him for the quality of players he has brought in this summer. Any manager in this league should be excited by working with these players.

I rate the football that I have seen (although this is much less than those that have gone to games, so take that with a pinch of salt.)

I don't pay much attention to last season, I squarely put the blame with the players.

I am very disappointed to have only got 1 point from the first 9. 4 was my minimum expectation. I don't rate his start highly yet.

I appreciate these things can take time and I'm much more willing to give him that time than Hurst or Lambert for example, as I rate him and the quality of players he has bought in.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:44 - Aug 20 with 1703 viewsHerbivore

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:32 - Aug 20 by Illinoisblue

With hindsight, yes, as it makes no sense to back a manager with new players and then not give him chance to work with them

Hindsight is fine, but at the time I don't recall many calling for him to be given the rest of the season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:48 - Aug 20 with 1697 viewsjayessess

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:44 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

Hindsight is fine, but at the time I don't recall many calling for him to be given the rest of the season.

I have a real hard time believing that when it comes down to it anyone really believes that a manager should get a season come what may. We'll all have different levels of tolerance for bad results, but it's a difference of degree, everyone has a point at which things just aren't tenable.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:52 - Aug 20 with 1670 viewsBluefish

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:32 - Aug 20 by Illinoisblue

With hindsight, yes, as it makes no sense to back a manager with new players and then not give him chance to work with them

The whole give managers time thing is like judging every lottery player by the won that took the jackpot. Great news that it was worth spending the £2 and it makes a great story but there are millions of others that spent the £2 and lost it

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:54 - Aug 20 with 1683 viewsHerbivore

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:48 - Aug 20 by jayessess

I have a real hard time believing that when it comes down to it anyone really believes that a manager should get a season come what may. We'll all have different levels of tolerance for bad results, but it's a difference of degree, everyone has a point at which things just aren't tenable.

If we're bottom and winless in November I'd be staggered if anyone is still saying give him the season. Those that are saying he should have the season are doing so because they believe that things will get better. And I'm confident they will, but let's not make out that it would be unreasonable to change manager in a few months if we're nowhere near mounting at least a top 6 challenge.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 18:12 - Aug 20 with 1674 views_sanctimoanious_

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:52 - Aug 20 by Bluefish

The whole give managers time thing is like judging every lottery player by the won that took the jackpot. Great news that it was worth spending the £2 and it makes a great story but there are millions of others that spent the £2 and lost it

It isn’t though is it. That’s a truly ludicrous analogy.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 18:19 - Aug 20 with 1636 viewsBluefish

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 18:12 - Aug 20 by _sanctimoanious_

Why people throw up managers that have come good after a bad start but the number that didn't come good outweigh then by miles

The fact remains Cook has been very very poor since he has been here across the end of one season and the very start of another. A new squad has produced the same performances and results so far. He needs to fix it and anyone still hanging on to giving a season or half a season at current levels or citing improved performances is an utter moron

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 18:24 - Aug 20 with 1643 viewspistonbroke

On what he has achieved here then no , on his previous record then yes , will be interesting to see what he can do without Richardson
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 18:29 - Aug 20 with 1622 viewschrismakin

He's not really given much for people to rate

I do rate him on the fact he saw what was wrong with the squad. I rate him for an excellent transfer window.

Football wise... his confusion about how to use fraser baffles me and his comments today haven't clarified it I'm afraid.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 18:37 - Aug 20 with 1614 viewsJ2BLUE

His current performance for me is a D+

When he came in last season I was hoping we would make the play offs. His decision to slam the squad was a poor one and he through away the opportunity we had last season.

Now he has overseen an excellent summer of recruitment (hence the +) but he has also overseen us getting a single point from three winnable league games as well as an exit from the cup.

So D+ for me.

The reason I am still a big supporter of his is because I think last season was a mistake from him but with his new squad I believe it's a matter of time before we click and string a few wins together to really get this season start. I am confident we'll beat Wimbledon. If we can pick up the win tomorrow it could get the ball rolling nicely.

My slight concern is this favourite formation thing. For me, a good manager adjusts formation and players depending on who we are playing.

Overall I am confident things are about to pick up. Verdict:

So far: D+
Cause for optimism: B+

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 19:05 - Aug 20 with 1593 viewsRadioOrwell

Not on anything he has done with us.
But...

that penalty miss ...
that Bonne miss at 0-1 ...
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 19:25 - Aug 20 with 1566 viewseireblue

Depends which voice he is using.

Bass tone, proper confidence, higher pitched trying not to cry voice, I could wobble.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 19:54 - Aug 20 with 1531 viewsonly_one_sir_bobby

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:37 - Aug 20 by itfcjoe

When Lambert left, and for a few months before there were 2 outstanding candidates for the job that were unemployed and within reach and that was Paul Cook and Danny Cowley for me - I personally preferred Cowley, but I couldn't really argue against those with Cook - but they were very much 1a and 1b.

The first choice was Michael Appleton, and with the way we've recruited this summer, I don't think it's too much to think that had we had the takeover earlier they'd have agressively pursued him and likely got him - but wasn't to be.

It's very difficult re patience - we assume the Americans won't be, but Ashton was incredibly patient with Lee Johnson - and the recruitment has been done for Paul Cook, on long contracts and we've gone all in backing him.....we need him to succeed, and so does Ashton

I think the club will be patient, I think he'll have to totally fail - and I don't see that happening - but none of us know how the new regime will be

Why do you assume the Americans won't be patient?

Pretty sure Brett said in the recent Athletic podcast that he has learnt to be patient after one of his sides went the first 9 or so games without a win, only to then go on a 20 game unbeaten run I've probably got those exact stats wrong, but certain he emphasised the need for patience.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 20:07 - Aug 20 with 1512 viewsericclacton

His work for us since he became manager has as every supporter knows been pants, i didn't agree with throwing every town player out or the find another club remark, far too severe and his treatment of poor Myles Kenlock is disgraceful. I don't know the man he's probably a good old boy but i think he needs to calm down and slowly grow into being manager of a club like ours with so many historic riches to be proud of, at the moment he is far to excitable and hot headed, like i said he needs to chill out and get a good man to be his assistant and work from there, Matt Gill got a tune out of last terms squad Cook was nowhere near.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 20:08 - Aug 20 with 1509 viewsPendejo

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 16:20 - Aug 20 by WilbrahamBlue

Do you genuinely see no signs of progress at all? serious question.

the 180 degree upturn in the quality of the players we have signed? the first 60 minutes of the very last game we played? Going behind twice and coming back in the first game with a new 11 v Morecombe? The incisive interchange between Chaplin and Fraser for Frasers goal that literally NEVER happened under Lambert? Players celebrating goals together, rather than turning round/head down walking back to the centre circle? Young vibrant players with personality and skill?

Things are very different now and the potential for progress is staggeringly different to 2020, why are more Ipswich fans not using this change to creep out of their incessantly pessimistic ways and jump on for the ride?

If you compare club progress solely on points after 5% of the season you're a lost cause.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2021 16:36]

I'm definitely a list cause, in many ways

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 21:26 - Aug 20 with 1441 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 13:50 - Aug 20 by itfcjoe

The squad had just picked up 10 points in 4 games against fellow top 8-9 clubs - it's not right to say they'd checked out.

Lambert taking the backward step and Gill picking the team had lifted the spirits - we'd gone from boring passive passing football to a more direct game and had picked up results.

A 0-0 against Oxford, and 3 wins all by the odd goal, the last of which was against 10 men for most of the game. It was perhaps a slight upturn - the win at Hull was very good - but it certainly wasn't some massive turn around.

And before that we witnessed another 0-0, against Northampton, one of the most boring games I'd ever seen.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 21:33 - Aug 20 with 1433 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 17:44 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

Kind of goes without saying doesn't it? We really would be a basket case if we'd fired Cook at the end of last season.

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 21:36 - Aug 20 with 1429 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 18:12 - Aug 20 by _sanctimoanious_

I've read it 3 times and I still don't understand it.

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 21:49 - Aug 20 with 1418 viewsCuffy81

Whilst his results for us have been poor, he's got an excellent track record of getting teams out of this division and playing attractive, attacking football in the process.

He asks a lot from his players tactically, our players are still learning about their team mates and what is expected from them.

He needs a plan b when 4231 isn't working
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 21:54 - Aug 20 with 1415 viewsip6blue

To complex to judge atm. I always wanted us to think outside the box ( outside of the U.K ) & recruit a manager from abroad.
Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 22:05 - Aug 20 with 1396 viewschrismakin

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 21:54 - Aug 20 by ip6blue

To complex to judge atm. I always wanted us to think outside the box ( outside of the U.K ) & recruit a manager from abroad.

Bit risky with Brexit imo. Not many know of the uk market. Just look at farke has he ever brought a player from the UK?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 22:28 - Aug 20 with 1381 viewsMetal_Hacker

Define “rate “

Poll: If it were one or the other

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 22:48 - Aug 20 with 1355 viewsRadlett_blue

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 18:29 - Aug 20 by chrismakin

He's not really given much for people to rate

I do rate him on the fact he saw what was wrong with the squad. I rate him for an excellent transfer window.

Football wise... his confusion about how to use fraser baffles me and his comments today haven't clarified it I'm afraid.

Cook's public comments are a mixture of some honest observations plus some of the biggest loads of hogwash I have heard. This doesn't matter as long as he can mould Town into at least a promotion challenging team & with the squad having been completely cleared out, rightly he needs time to integrate the team & some of his signings haven't even yet been fit enough to play. Jury still completely out - only fair to make a proper judgement on whether he actually knows what he's doing come December, by when I would hope to see clear signs of a preferred XI, system & pattern of play.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Does anyone on here NOT rate Paul Cook? (n/t) on 22:54 - Aug 20 with 1346 viewspointofblue

For me our recruitment has been unbalanced which is an issue we might fall foul from. Midfield and attack has been superb - what League One team wouldn't want Carroll, Harper, Evans, Burns, Barry, Edwards, Chaplin, Fraser, Bonne and Pigott to making up their team?

The issue is defence. Our keeper has come from League Two, Penney has issues defensively which had already been reported by Wednesday fans. We'll see what Coulson can do in comparison but has suffered from Covid. Edmundson's experience has mainly come at League Two. Burgess has played for a mid-table League One team as part of a three, whereas we prefer a back four. When you compare the relative experience and skill bought in going forward to keeping us tight at the back it's chalk and cheese.

Whatever happens going forward I think we will keep leaking at the back. What can Cook do about it? He'll have to find a way that we work moving forward so we consistently keep possession, preventing attacks on our goal.

His track record says he should be capable of getting this done - but he can't have an unlimited amount of time to manage it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024