Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5th Bottom 2Pts 17:37 - Aug 21 with 4003 viewsMillsTash

Let’s keep happy clapping though.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2021 17:38]
5th Bottom 2Pts on 09:44 - Aug 22 with 951 viewschrismakin

5th Bottom 2Pts on 09:41 - Aug 22 by Chrisd

Oxford United were in the bottom 4 way after Christmas last season (I believe), but still made the play offs. The problem we’ve got is the expectation, which was my concern in the summer. Promotion is still the aim and disappointment after this start is understandable, but perspective needed.

Edit - 10th December 2020 - Oxford were 4th from bottom, 12 points adrift from Charlton Athletic who were 6th at the time on 27 points.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 11:51]

I think fan expectations are going to be a lot further away than the owners.

O'leary has made it quite clear that Promotion may or may not happen this season.
Ashton has said the same.

There also needs to be an understanding that it's highly doubtful every signing is going to be a succeess - when does any club get it spot on with every player.. So we will need Jan to top up on any that don't make the grade.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

5th Bottom 2Pts on 09:52 - Aug 22 with 924 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Oxford United were in the bottom 4 way after Christmas last season (I believe), but still made the play offs. The problem we’ve got is the expectation, which was my concern in the summer. Promotion is still the aim and disappointment after this start is understandable, but perspective needed.

Edit - 10th December 2020 - Oxford were 4th from bottom, 12 points adrift from Charlton Athletic who were 6th at the time on 27 points.

No, they weren’t

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

5th Bottom 2Pts on 09:56 - Aug 22 with 924 viewspistonbroke

5th Bottom 2Pts on 09:44 - Aug 22 by chrismakin

I think fan expectations are going to be a lot further away than the owners.

O'leary has made it quite clear that Promotion may or may not happen this season.
Ashton has said the same.

There also needs to be an understanding that it's highly doubtful every signing is going to be a succeess - when does any club get it spot on with every player.. So we will need Jan to top up on any that don't make the grade.

If we don’t go up this year cook will be gone
5th Bottom 2Pts on 09:58 - Aug 22 with 915 viewschrismakin

5th Bottom 2Pts on 09:56 - Aug 22 by pistonbroke

If we don’t go up this year cook will be gone

Depends how it finishes imo. Top 6 but lose out in playoffs. Would be harsh.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

5th Bottom 2Pts on 10:00 - Aug 22 with 910 views44_not_out

5th Bottom 2Pts on 05:22 - Aug 22 by noggin

But you reserve the right to flounce like a baby in the meantime.

There it is again….. that word ‘Floune’
5th Bottom 2Pts on 10:13 - Aug 22 with 885 viewsnoggin

5th Bottom 2Pts on 10:00 - Aug 22 by 44_not_out

There it is again….. that word ‘Floune’

Go on son, have another one.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

5th Bottom 2Pts on 17:15 - Aug 22 with 779 viewsNthsuffolkblue

5th Bottom 2Pts on 08:31 - Aug 22 by ElephantintheRoom

Actually history suggests that the table after 4 games has actually settled down to a pretty close approximation to how it will finish.

Despite all the change - at the moment not a lot has changed - the best squad in the division etc etc not doing as well as entitled supporters believe it should - and the most eye-catching performances from an embarrassing loan. All orchestrated, if that is the right word, by a manager who polarises players and has 'mates'

Curiously it's deja vu - again

I am not even going to bother checking that because it is ridiculous.

No way did the team top after 4 games (wasn't it us) win the league in either of the last two seasons. I doubt there was any recognisable pattern between the two at all. You are simply making stuff up with this post.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

5th Bottom 2Pts on 17:18 - Aug 22 with 773 viewsKropotkin123

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Login to get fewer ads

5th Bottom 2Pts on 18:12 - Aug 22 with 723 viewsChurchman

We are a poor team at the moment. In fact we are not a team. No change from the last three seasons then. Easy to score against, soft. That is what we are.

The question is, will it improve? Will they become a team? Does Cook know what he’s doing? I think yes and yes. Rubbish teams don’t always improve, but this one will because there are some decent players here and the club is resetting itself off the pitch. Standards are being set. I think it’ll be alright.

I have an abiding memory of the 79/80 season. We were awful throughout the autumn. We at one stage lost 5 straight league games including losses at home in consecutive weeks to Arsenal and Liverpool. We lost 2-1 to both but we were seriously outplayed. Boos, moans serious depression. Does Robson know what he’s doing? Is it time up? These were the questions being asked at the time.

There was of course no social media then, but had there been, Robson would have been slaughtered along with his coach Bobby Ferguson who it was said was not liked by the players.

The rest of that season was astonishing. We just got better and better. I’m not comparing Robson to Cook of course, but I think it entirely possible that this team will at least get a lot stronger.
5th Bottom 2Pts on 18:23 - Aug 22 with 706 viewsSwansea_Blue

5th Bottom 2Pts on 18:12 - Aug 22 by Churchman

We are a poor team at the moment. In fact we are not a team. No change from the last three seasons then. Easy to score against, soft. That is what we are.

The question is, will it improve? Will they become a team? Does Cook know what he’s doing? I think yes and yes. Rubbish teams don’t always improve, but this one will because there are some decent players here and the club is resetting itself off the pitch. Standards are being set. I think it’ll be alright.

I have an abiding memory of the 79/80 season. We were awful throughout the autumn. We at one stage lost 5 straight league games including losses at home in consecutive weeks to Arsenal and Liverpool. We lost 2-1 to both but we were seriously outplayed. Boos, moans serious depression. Does Robson know what he’s doing? Is it time up? These were the questions being asked at the time.

There was of course no social media then, but had there been, Robson would have been slaughtered along with his coach Bobby Ferguson who it was said was not liked by the players.

The rest of that season was astonishing. We just got better and better. I’m not comparing Robson to Cook of course, but I think it entirely possible that this team will at least get a lot stronger.

I thought we looked pretty good yesterday. Moved the ball with purpose and caused MKD a lot of problems. We’re are far better team than we were last season already. You can’t legislate for two stupid individual errors, yet the performance was fine. I’m sure wins will come soon enough if we carry on to play like that and cut out some of the errors.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

5th Bottom 2Pts on 21:22 - Aug 22 with 648 viewsistanblue

5th Bottom 2Pts on 21:53 - Aug 22 with 632 viewshave_a_word_with_him

5th Bottom 2Pts on 22:47 - Aug 21 by ArnoldMoorhen

Good job we've got two then, isn't it?

Anybody who saw the match knows we are very nearly there. We need to build a bit more resilience at the back, and not invite trouble in key areas.

We play some very, very good football at times going forward, and have a Centre Forward who loves the club and is banging them in. We have our most exciting and skilful player since Gio (more exciting than Fraser, Williams, Lawrence and Celina, and even McGoldrick). We have found a gem of a Centre Back.

We will do well this season.

Totally agree with this, we have much better players than last season all over the pitch and have been unlucky, as well as letting a couple of stupid goals in. Cook was right in having a total clear out, now get behind these new (better) players and at least give them 5 minutes grace, they've just met each other. If the OP was a Man City fan you'd be the muppet calling for Pep to be sacked because they lost to Spurs on the opening day.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2021 21:54]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024