Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How can a 3k run be so hard? 17:20 - Aug 23 with 2436 viewsVic

Took me 19 mins and I’m totally and utterly knackered!

Looking for sympathy and motivation guys!!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 17:26 - Aug 23 with 1995 viewsTractorWood

I ran my first 50k a few weeks ago. The legs still hurt. I was beginning to hullcinate after 45km in the heat. Took about 6 hours including checkpoints. All off road and very hilly.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 17:28 - Aug 23 with 1979 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

You should probably have a beer.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 17:32 - Aug 23 with 1957 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 17:28 - Aug 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

You should probably have a beer.

... instead

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 17:36 - Aug 23 with 1938 viewsFreddies_Ears

3k in 19 minutes would be a full minute ahead of me... I am not exactly athletic, of course, but I am a trier. 4 years ago, I couldn't even walk 3k in less than 50 minutes, so there has been progress.
Just keep at it, and you'll improve quickly...
How can a 3k run be so hard? on 17:45 - Aug 23 with 1916 viewsgiant_stow

show off. 3k?! I need a breather after going up the stairs.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 17:53 - Aug 23 with 1896 viewsIpswichKnight

Back in April I was running that kind of time I’m now running 6.5k in 33minutes, you will get there and if I can do it anyone can!
How can a 3k run be so hard? on 17:58 - Aug 23 with 1878 viewsWD19

It’s remarkable how fast you will improve if you stick at it (and the reverse is equally true).

Lockdown laziness has added 5-6 minutes to my 5km time. I need to get back on it. Most I have run in one go is 32km, but 8km nearly killed me last night.

Mixing it up with other exercise (e.g. Cycling) also helps speed improvement a lot.
How can a 3k run be so hard? on 18:43 - Aug 23 with 1792 viewsHerbivore

I've just run about 3.5k and I feel like I want to die. Was doing 5k three times a week for a while but for various reasons that slipped and can definitely feel the deterioration in my already mediocre levels of fitness.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 18:49 - Aug 23 with 1772 viewsSwansea_Blue

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 17:26 - Aug 23 by TractorWood

I ran my first 50k a few weeks ago. The legs still hurt. I was beginning to hullcinate after 45km in the heat. Took about 6 hours including checkpoints. All off road and very hilly.

It’d have been easier on a quad bike! Congrats btw, that’s some effort.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 18:57 - Aug 23 with 1745 viewsPrideOfTheEast

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 17:26 - Aug 23 by TractorWood

Wow - great effort. Would you do it again?
How can a 3k run be so hard? on 18:58 - Aug 23 with 1739 viewsVic

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 18:43 - Aug 23 by Herbivore

I've just run about 3.5k and I feel like I want to die. Was doing 5k three times a week for a while but for various reasons that slipped and can definitely feel the deterioration in my already mediocre levels of fitness.

That’s just about me! I was doing 5k 2x a week at just over 32 mins in May time. Then I strained my calf and haven’t got going again. Also had lots of post lockdown BBQs etc which haven’t helped!

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 18:58 - Aug 23 with 1742 viewsBent_double

I only started running last Feb at the grand-young age of 48, my usual run is 6k - well, 2 lots of 3k with a couple of mins rest in between, and I'm now down to about 16mins for each 3k.

I probably took a year of doing that run 3 or 4 times a week before it got a bit easier and my times started to come down, although even now there are some days when I start and my legs feel like lumps of lead!

I've now progressed to an 8k run (well,2 x 4k) with a few inclines as well, so it does get easier, certainly in the summer months anyway, so keep at it, you'll be glad you did as you record faster times!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:01 - Aug 23 with 1728 viewsVic

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 18:58 - Aug 23 by Bent_double

I only started running last Feb at the grand-young age of 48, my usual run is 6k - well, 2 lots of 3k with a couple of mins rest in between, and I'm now down to about 16mins for each 3k.

I probably took a year of doing that run 3 or 4 times a week before it got a bit easier and my times started to come down, although even now there are some days when I start and my legs feel like lumps of lead!

I've now progressed to an 8k run (well,2 x 4k) with a few inclines as well, so it does get easier, certainly in the summer months anyway, so keep at it, you'll be glad you did as you record faster times!

Good going fella. I’ve never got beyond 6k - but then I am 59 now so I’m using that as my excuse!

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:03 - Aug 23 with 1724 viewsNthQldITFC

I am jealous of all of your kneeses. No worries on a bike, but road running for me, c'est impossible, after twenty years of football.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2021 19:04]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:03 - Aug 23 with 1725 viewschasing_crazy

Whilst it may have taken you 19 mins, you still did it and is a great achievement, just keep on going and it does get easier, though you just end up running longer and as such it then continues to feel tough 😂 consider getting down to your local Parkrun, for inspiration and to help you keep going and building up your distance or just stamina. Don't ever worry about where you finish, as long as you finish, there will always be someone behind you
How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:12 - Aug 23 with 1699 viewsHerbivore

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 18:58 - Aug 23 by Vic

That’s just about me! I was doing 5k 2x a week at just over 32 mins in May time. Then I strained my calf and haven’t got going again. Also had lots of post lockdown BBQs etc which haven’t helped!

Similar to me, I sprained my ankle quite badly in April and then couldn't run for about 6 weeks. Have had various other bits and bobs going on that have stopped me getting back into the good routine I had pre-injury. I ran twice last week though and planning on doing so again this week. I think my body is too worn out to maintain three times a week.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:16 - Aug 23 with 1686 viewsIpswich24

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:12 - Aug 23 by Herbivore

Similar to me, I sprained my ankle quite badly in April and then couldn't run for about 6 weeks. Have had various other bits and bobs going on that have stopped me getting back into the good routine I had pre-injury. I ran twice last week though and planning on doing so again this week. I think my body is too worn out to maintain three times a week.

I mix it up bit running, bit gym, bit fight Klub. Want get 5k sub 20 mins if can

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:36 - Aug 23 with 1642 viewsLeaky

Catch a bus so much easier. Was told by a Masia warrior while on safari that humans are the slowest animal on the Mara,so dont bother to running stand and face you adversary and hope they back down. Semmed good advice.
How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:41 - Aug 23 with 1619 viewsGlasgowBlue

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 18:43 - Aug 23 by Herbivore

I run half marathons and 10Ks in super fast time. I run regularly and as recently as Jan/Feb/March was doing a 20K on a Saturday and another 20K three days later.

Over the last month or so I’m struggling to run a 10k.I did an organised 10K yesterday in 55 minutes. Nine minutes slower then the same event last year and I really wanted to stop halfway. During the training period I was really struggling to complete the run unless I went a a much slower pace.

I’m 58 and maybe age has caught up with me but the decline does seem very sudden.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:42 - Aug 23 with 1621 viewsITFC_Forever

I started running 4 years ago, built it up from running / walking 2 miles, to then doing 5k… the first time I did 5k without stopping it felt like a real achievement.

I then did a 10k, and it was the hardest thing I’d ever done, but how do a 5k 2-3 times a week and a 10k once a month.

I’ve literally just finished my 10k for this month (54.12), and usually do my 5k in 26-something. I did have it down to just under 25 mins in early summer last year, but I've slipped off that slightly!

I’m 46 now, so I consider that pretty respectable.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:43 - Aug 23 with 1616 viewsMetal_Hacker

From playing too much football when I was younger my legs for the most are fooked so I’ll off ride cycle around 50-70 miles a week

I take my hat off to anyone that runs - whatever the distance snd time

Keep it up

Poll: If it were one or the other

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:52 - Aug 23 with 1587 viewsWD19

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:36 - Aug 23 by Leaky

Catch a bus so much easier. Was told by a Masia warrior while on safari that humans are the slowest animal on the Mara,so dont bother to running stand and face you adversary and hope they back down. Semmed good advice.

You don’t need to run faster than the leopard.

You just need to run faster than the fat lazy human next to you.
How can a 3k run be so hard? on 20:16 - Aug 23 with 1538 viewsADStephenson

Slow miles are better than no miles (or km - the educated choice of distance measurement ).
I used to run a lot and competitively but have had about two years off now due to chronic Achilles tendonitis. I'm jealous of anyone who can get out and do anything and sadly, times that used to be warm up pace for me now seem out of my reach.
Keep it up and you'll both improve, and want to keep it up to see how much further and/or faster you can run.

www.adstephenson.com

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 22:32 - Aug 23 with 1336 viewsTractorWood

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 18:57 - Aug 23 by PrideOfTheEast

Wow - great effort. Would you do it again?

Definitely. The next challenge I am eyeing is the Peddars way ultra in January from Knettishall Heath to the coast. It's 48 miles or 77km.

I have been running marathons regularly for 3/4 years after getting pretty unfit. Like lots of you, I started with 3/4km, then parkruns, then 10k's then half marathon etc etc.

No matter how hard it has ever been, the hardest thing is the first few weeks when you are unfit, and basically everything hurts after 20 minutes of jogging.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2021 22:39]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 15:24 - Aug 24 with 1050 viewsIpswichKnight

How can a 3k run be so hard? on 19:42 - Aug 23 by ITFC_Forever

I started running 4 years ago, built it up from running / walking 2 miles, to then doing 5k… the first time I did 5k without stopping it felt like a real achievement.

I then did a 10k, and it was the hardest thing I’d ever done, but how do a 5k 2-3 times a week and a 10k once a month.

I’ve literally just finished my 10k for this month (54.12), and usually do my 5k in 26-something. I did have it down to just under 25 mins in early summer last year, but I've slipped off that slightly!

I’m 46 now, so I consider that pretty respectable.

My times for 5k are very similar and I turn 46 in a few months time. Not done a 10k for a few years now but starting to think I might be able to get one done in the next few weeks. Will push to over 7k this week and see how that feels. When I was last proper fit i’d run around 3 7k’s a week and a 10k on the weekend.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024