Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe 20:46 - Aug 24 with 1679 viewsMullet

Insane. 160m Euros.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 20:52 - Aug 24 with 1633 viewsJDB23

Think that's less than what PSG paid for him from Monaco, but he only has a year left on his contract so that's a pretty mental fee.
Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 21:11 - Aug 24 with 1570 viewsnoggin

Whenever I read these headlines, I want to give up on football. Is this what we all aspire to? It's disgusting.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 21:25 - Aug 24 with 1524 viewschicoazul

They’re broke. In fact it’s worse than that, they owe something like €700m. Guess the club of Franco will get bailed out by the state again.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 21:50 - Aug 24 with 1449 viewsWD19

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 20:52 - Aug 24 by JDB23

Think that's less than what PSG paid for him from Monaco, but he only has a year left on his contract so that's a pretty mental fee.

Or put another way, a little bit less than Spurs want for an increasingly injury prone Harry Kane.
Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 08:40 - Aug 25 with 1193 viewsDeano69

Football. Ruined.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 08:42 - Aug 25 with 1188 viewsHerbivore

Kayden Jackson is available for a fraction of that if they're after a striker that's all about pace and not much else.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 08:47 - Aug 25 with 1172 viewsbluelagos

160m Euros is £137m

Given his age, that looks like a very good price in comparison to the £160 Spurs want for Kane.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 08:57 - Aug 25 with 1147 viewsMattinLondon

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 21:11 - Aug 24 by noggin

Whenever I read these headlines, I want to give up on football. Is this what we all aspire to? It's disgusting.

Why is it disgusting?
Login to get fewer ads

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 09:04 - Aug 25 with 1127 viewsbluelagos

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 08:57 - Aug 25 by MattinLondon

Why is it disgusting?

The amount of money in football leaves a number of issues for me. The player wages, transfer fees, agent fees all need funding.

Who pays? You and me. Whether that is Sky subs, vastly increased ticket prices or the £100+ shirts on offer.

Premier league football has become the preserve of the wealthy. No more a working class game for ordinary people. Check out ST or match day prices at Arsenal or Chelsea for evidence of that.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 09:07 - Aug 25 with 1115 viewsnoggin

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 08:57 - Aug 25 by MattinLondon

Why is it disgusting?

Because due to the obscene wealth divide around the world, many people, even in the richest nations, can't afford to feed their kids, let alone take them to a football match. I guess it's just my opinion but the huge amounts of money being spent by football clubs just doesn't sit well with me.

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 09:37 - Aug 25 with 1035 viewshype313

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 09:04 - Aug 25 by bluelagos

The amount of money in football leaves a number of issues for me. The player wages, transfer fees, agent fees all need funding.

Who pays? You and me. Whether that is Sky subs, vastly increased ticket prices or the £100+ shirts on offer.

Premier league football has become the preserve of the wealthy. No more a working class game for ordinary people. Check out ST or match day prices at Arsenal or Chelsea for evidence of that.

The irony of Arsenal is that they are one of the most, if not most, expensive tickets in the country, whilst having no Champions League or Europa League to speak of.

Essentially, for these London clubs it's a day out and a tourist attraction like Madam Tussauds, London Zoo and the Imperial War museum to tick off the box.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 09:43 - Aug 25 with 1017 viewsSwansea_Blue

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 21:11 - Aug 24 by noggin

I don't think we're aspiring to bid €160m for Mbappe

It's a tad on the obscene side isn't it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 09:54 - Aug 25 with 991 viewsOsborneOneNil

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 09:07 - Aug 25 by noggin

Because due to the obscene wealth divide around the world, many people, even in the richest nations, can't afford to feed their kids, let alone take them to a football match. I guess it's just my opinion but the huge amounts of money being spent by football clubs just doesn't sit well with me.

It’s like the Movie Star too, isn’t it. Getting £20 Million for a film. Is that right?
Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 09:55 - Aug 25 with 988 viewstractorboy1978

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 09:04 - Aug 25 by bluelagos

They've let the genie out of the bottle in allowing super rich business people, and in some instances entire nations, to run football clubs. It's too late to put it back now. When this whole Super League thing kicked off, pundits and fans were kicking off because these wealthy individuals needed to understand football in this country. It's actually the other way around, all associated with football need to understand the motives of big business.

Man City and PSG are effectively pawns in a game between two nations that want to have a dick measuring contest.
Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 11:10 - Aug 25 with 899 viewsjayessess

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 09:07 - Aug 25 by noggin

I have the same feelings about the wealth divide, but the focus on football always strikes me as a bit irrational, really. Football clubs are quite small businesses, relatively speaking. Real Madrid's revenues are less than 1/5th of Sports Direct's, 3% of Asda's.

They're buying a revenue-generating asset in much the same way as any other business would. They'll pay him a massive salary in much the same way Asda will pay their senior management massive salaries.

Yet, morally and emotionally football club spending upsets people more. Football clubs furloughing employees during Covid stoked much more outrage than much larger businesses doing likewise did. It's like we only notice basic bits of capitalism because they put a football team out on the pitch.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 11:15]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 11:26 - Aug 25 with 864 viewsnoggin

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 11:10 - Aug 25 by jayessess

I have the same feelings about the wealth divide, but the focus on football always strikes me as a bit irrational, really. Football clubs are quite small businesses, relatively speaking. Real Madrid's revenues are less than 1/5th of Sports Direct's, 3% of Asda's.

They're buying a revenue-generating asset in much the same way as any other business would. They'll pay him a massive salary in much the same way Asda will pay their senior management massive salaries.

Yet, morally and emotionally football club spending upsets people more. Football clubs furloughing employees during Covid stoked much more outrage than much larger businesses doing likewise did. It's like we only notice basic bits of capitalism because they put a football team out on the pitch.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 11:15]

The difference for me is that I still think of a football club as a community asset, built for the ordinary people of that community. Like I've said many times, football left me behind years ago.

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 11:35 - Aug 25 with 839 viewsjayessess

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 11:26 - Aug 25 by noggin

The difference for me is that I still think of a football club as a community asset, built for the ordinary people of that community. Like I've said many times, football left me behind years ago.

But most football clubs were built by the local bourgeoisie, to show off, to sustain their pre-eminent status in their local community, as something to occupy their sons, as a branding exercise, as paternalism towards their workforce. Then they spent much of the second half of the 20th Century passing from the historic local bourgeoisie into the hands of various petty local capitalists then finally into the hands of global capital.

You could count the number of genuine community-owned assets in the English football league on one hand.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 13:45 - Aug 25 with 753 viewsgordon

Real have bid the GDP of a small country for Mbappe on 21:50 - Aug 24 by WD19

Or put another way, a little bit less than Spurs want for an increasingly injury prone Harry Kane.

If I were Spurs I would have cashed in on Harry Kane, definitely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024