Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. 17:39 - Aug 25 with 3321 viewsSitfcB

But suppose it was out of his hands?

Surely he’ll be leaving next summer?

He deserves to go to a club that’s going to win things.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 09:35 - Aug 26 with 1001 viewsChurchman

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 09:26 - Aug 26 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Injury prone Harry Kane’s appearances in the past 7 seasons:

49, 34, 40, 48, 38, 50, 51

Fair enough. Incorrect perception on my part.

Watching him in the Euros he looked half the player I’d seen at Wembley against Czech Rep a year or two before.
A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 13:56 - Aug 26 with 945 viewsElephantintheRoom

Ahem. In an era when nobody seems to try in cups, Spurs have as much chance as anyone else's reserve teams to 'win things'

Other than that Kane was a bit of a greedy plank signing a long term contract if he didnt mean to honour it - and an even bigger pillock if today's rumours are true and he wants a few hundred thousand a weeke extra to stay now he's burned his bridges, so to speak

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:15 - Aug 26 with 930 viewsJ2BLUE

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 09:20 - Aug 26 by hype313

Different take from Carragher..

When Spurs bid farewell to White Hart Lane a few years ago, they invited their greatest legends to join the final nostalgia trip.

One player was notoriously absent. So deep were the wounds when Sol Campbell, a former captain and product of Tottenham’s youth system, left to join Arsenal in 2001, it was as if his name had been stricken from the club records. It was a reminder that our legacy as players goes beyond medals.

I’m not sure if Harry Kane has given that any consideration over the last two months, or it occurred to him having brought this summer’s transfer saga to an end by declaring he is staying at Spurs.

It can be argued a Spurs player pushing for a move to Manchester City in 2021 is incomparable to moving to Arsenal at any time. But as someone who like Kane understands the pressures, responsibilities and rewards of being a homegrown player, I guarantee that while he considers winning the Premier League to be the most important ambition right now, he will have a different perspective later in his life.

If Kane commits the rest of his career to Tottenham, by the end of it he will be their greatest ever player ahead of Glenn Hoddle, their greatest ever goalscorer ahead of Jimmy Greaves, and the Premier League’s most prolific striker ahead of Alan Shearer, all this having been achieved as the local boy who became a legend.

People will tell him this is not as important as winning a league title with Manchester City. I disagree.

You can’t measure such extraordinary individual feats for Spurs against spending a couple of seasons in Manchester trying to satisfy a thirst for the Premier League trophy. Unlike those players who are not so connected to the club and their community, short-term gain would have come with a longer-term sacrifice.

As footballers at the peak of our powers, stuck in our bubbles season after season, we naturally want it all. We crave the hero worship of our hometown, but want this alongside winning the biggest prizes. Only a rare few can have that level of adulation at their neighbourhood clubs, allied with the ultimate success.

As an academy graduate Kane has a special place in Spurs fans' hearts

I am not talking about everyone who has ever won a Champions League or Premier League winners’ medal, but those who win everything as local gods, symbols of the clubs and area they represented; players of the stature of Ryan Giggs at Manchester United or John Terry at Chelsea, to name two.

Others rightly assume such legendary status at their boyhood club despite never winning the trophies they most craved. At the moment, Kane comes into that category, which is why him staying put is worthy of celebration for Spurs fans. Yes, a fee of £100 million is massive for a 28-year-old striker, but certain players are worth more than a transfer fee. They are emblems of their club, representatives of their fans' dreams.

When Spurs fans sing "he is one of our own" about Kane they are taking pride in an academy graduate who they believe understands them. As when Wayne Rooney left Everton as a teenager, when such players go or threaten to leave, it hurts more because they are demoralising those fans who know their club is not at the level it needs to be, but embrace the world-class, homegrown talent who gives them hope.

Spurs’ fans have been wrestling with their emotions over the last few months, initially refusing to believe their hero would agitate for a move, and then demonstrating the first hint of anger as the reality gripped and they chanted "are you watching Harry Kane" when Spurs defeated Manchester City on the opening weekend of this season.

The fans’ response felt like a critical moment. Kane would have imagined leaving north London with a handshake and understanding given his service to the club, Spurs consoled by how much they received for him. Sensing the mood turn against him will have deeply hurt and worried him.

He knew there was no way of leaving on good terms, and no way of guaranteeing an invitation to any post-career reunions. That is not going to have changed by next January, or next summer, so I would strongly recommend against Kane going down the route of prolonging this saga into future transfer windows.

Having accepted staying at Spurs for now, Kane would be wise to make peace with the idea of doing so for good, and embracing one of football's eternal truths: “Your name is more important than any trophy.”

Easy to have that attitude with an honours list that looks like this:

Liverpool

FA Cup: 2000—01, 2005—06
League Cup: 2000—01, 2002—03, 2011—12
FA Community Shield: 2001, 2006
UEFA Champions League: 2004—05
UEFA Cup: 2000—01
UEFA Super Cup: 2001, 2005

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:24 - Aug 26 with 918 viewshoppy

He's only stayed at Spurs because they discovered he has an allergy to silver.

*credit to the person that sent me that earlier - you know who you are.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:28 - Aug 26 with 915 viewsmonty_radio

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 00:11 - Aug 26 by J2BLUE

...what?

Careers are defined by trophies. What would mean more to Kane, 5-6 trophies or being a legend at Spurs without a single winner medal? He currently has four runner up medals and a third place medal.

Never mind though because he has an outside chance of a league cup medal? Daft post.

Not daft at all, just different. Retired players such as Carragher and Le Tissier are on record as saying that as years pass being recognised as the one-club hero is no little compensation, whereas winning a medal with a club that could not fail to do it sometime is not always the greater memory.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:29 - Aug 26 with 914 viewsSwansea_Blue

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 09:26 - Aug 26 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Injury prone Harry Kane’s appearances in the past 7 seasons:

49, 34, 40, 48, 38, 50, 51

He's just a Premier League Emyr Huws...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:32 - Aug 26 with 909 viewsGarv

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 18:54 - Aug 25 by MattinLondon

Anyone would think that players want to win silverware and are ambitious enough to want to play at the highest level namely Champions League. Being a legend at a club like Spurs does not compete with winning the League and other trophies - believing it is, is just playing it safe and accepting mediocrity.

Spurs were in the Champions League final 2/3 years ago. They do play at the highest level, albeit they won't this year.

Winning something with Spurs I'm sure would mean more than winning it with City.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:32 - Aug 26 with 907 viewshype313

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:28 - Aug 26 by monty_radio

Not daft at all, just different. Retired players such as Carragher and Le Tissier are on record as saying that as years pass being recognised as the one-club hero is no little compensation, whereas winning a medal with a club that could not fail to do it sometime is not always the greater memory.

Shearer has stated on many occasions that he could have gone to Utd and won lots of trophy's, but the lure of playing for his hometown club was by far a stronger pull than winning the league title with a club he had no affinity too.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:34 - Aug 26 with 906 viewsJ2BLUE

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:28 - Aug 26 by monty_radio

Carragher won 7 winners medals not counting the glorified friendly trophies.

Kane has a chance to go and win 5+ prestigious trophies. There's a reason it always comes up with what players have won when their name comes up as a pundit. Some like Keane and Neville's are incredibly impressive. Others read something like 400 appearances for Stoke.

If Kane wanted to stay then fine, good for him and Spurs, but he clearly wants something to show for his career. He's got to four finals and got four runners up medals.

Truly impaired.

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:38 - Aug 26 with 903 viewsGarv

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 00:11 - Aug 26 by J2BLUE

...what?

Careers are defined by trophies. What would mean more to Kane, 5-6 trophies or being a legend at Spurs without a single winner medal? He currently has four runner up medals and a third place medal.

Never mind though because he has an outside chance of a league cup medal? Daft post.

You generally talk sense but you can't just call someone daft because they have a different view to yours.

Plenty of players win precisely nothing during their careers, it doesn't mean their careers aren't defined by other things.

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:41 - Aug 26 with 895 viewsJ2BLUE

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:38 - Aug 26 by Garv

You generally talk sense but you can't just call someone daft because they have a different view to yours.

Plenty of players win precisely nothing during their careers, it doesn't mean their careers aren't defined by other things.

He has spoken about his desire for titles. Clearly he prioritises titles over being a one club man. Telling him it would be tacky and he should accept never winning anything really isn't fair.

Who wouldn't want to go to City and play with other world class players? If Kane was the player who took City from contenders to CL winners he would be an instant legend there anyway.

Truly impaired.

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:46 - Aug 26 with 885 viewsJ2BLUE

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:32 - Aug 26 by hype313

Shearer has stated on many occasions that he could have gone to Utd and won lots of trophy's, but the lure of playing for his hometown club was by far a stronger pull than winning the league title with a club he had no affinity too.

Another player who already had a Premier League winner medal.

If Spurs had won the CL final I don't think we would be talking about Kane wanting to leave.

Truly impaired.

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 15:14 - Aug 26 with 865 viewsGarv

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:41 - Aug 26 by J2BLUE

He has spoken about his desire for titles. Clearly he prioritises titles over being a one club man. Telling him it would be tacky and he should accept never winning anything really isn't fair.

Who wouldn't want to go to City and play with other world class players? If Kane was the player who took City from contenders to CL winners he would be an instant legend there anyway.

Who says staying at Spurs is accepting never winning anything? They're a big club who should be challenging themselves. Yeah they're not as good as they could be right now, but things change.

I'd rather play with Son than Sterling.

I get your point and I can't 'argue' with it really, apart from offering my own view. I do think it's a tacky move though.

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 16:22 - Aug 26 with 826 viewsmonty_radio

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:41 - Aug 26 by J2BLUE

I never suggested "tacky", only that it was perhaps not so great an achievement to win something that they could probably win without you.

As to "why wouldn't you...". Yes, of course. I merely suggested that that seen over a lifetime, these things can sometimes appear in a different way.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 16:24 - Aug 26 with 818 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 15:14 - Aug 26 by Garv

Who says staying at Spurs is accepting never winning anything? They're a big club who should be challenging themselves. Yeah they're not as good as they could be right now, but things change.

I'd rather play with Son than Sterling.

I get your point and I can't 'argue' with it really, apart from offering my own view. I do think it's a tacky move though.

‘I’d rather play with Son than Sterling’

And I suspect Harry Kane would rather play with Kevin De Bruyne than Eric Dier, if we’re just going to pluck one random name from each team

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 17:02 - Aug 26 with 797 viewsMattinLondon

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 14:32 - Aug 26 by hype313

What with his strong affinity with Newcastle that’s probably true. But loyalty comes at a price - the price being that he’s hardly won anything. If he’s happy with that then good for him but most players want that sensation of winning trophies.
A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 22:09 - Aug 26 with 750 viewstractorshark

This could end up a bit like Steven Gerrard when he changed his mind about leaving Liverpool for Chelsea.
Man City could move on without him, personally I think they should have been targeting Haaland rather than Kane anyway as there is far more potential and longevity there.
Whatever happens, football has come to a moral crossroads and just driven straight through.
The amount of money being spoken about and spent this summer is disgusting. It wasn’t long ago we were up in arms about clubs furloughing staff and European Super Leagues but seemingly that’s all been forgiven and forgotten.
If the likes of PSG, Man City and now Real Madrid keep spending the sums of money being talked about, a breakaway league will be inevitable.
There is no way Manchester United, Liverpool or any other major powerhouse in Europe will be able to compete otherwise…unless, of course, they too find a country rather than an individual to back them.
The question is will the fans of those clubs still take a stand if it means being left behind on the pitch?
A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 22:41 - Aug 26 with 734 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 22:09 - Aug 26 by tractorshark

This could end up a bit like Steven Gerrard when he changed his mind about leaving Liverpool for Chelsea.
Man City could move on without him, personally I think they should have been targeting Haaland rather than Kane anyway as there is far more potential and longevity there.
Whatever happens, football has come to a moral crossroads and just driven straight through.
The amount of money being spoken about and spent this summer is disgusting. It wasn’t long ago we were up in arms about clubs furloughing staff and European Super Leagues but seemingly that’s all been forgiven and forgotten.
If the likes of PSG, Man City and now Real Madrid keep spending the sums of money being talked about, a breakaway league will be inevitable.
There is no way Manchester United, Liverpool or any other major powerhouse in Europe will be able to compete otherwise…unless, of course, they too find a country rather than an individual to back them.
The question is will the fans of those clubs still take a stand if it means being left behind on the pitch?

Man U have spent more than 2 of those sides this Summer and basically the same as City. Liverpool have spent more than Real Madrid as it stands

A breakaway league is probably inevitable anyway, although the fiasco of a few months ago at least kicks that can a way down the road

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 23:05 - Aug 26 with 720 viewstractorshark

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 22:41 - Aug 26 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Man U have spent more than 2 of those sides this Summer and basically the same as City. Liverpool have spent more than Real Madrid as it stands

A breakaway league is probably inevitable anyway, although the fiasco of a few months ago at least kicks that can a way down the road

I think the worrying trend is players costing £150million or earning £1million a week.
It makes Sancho’s fee seem insignificant.
Grealish going for £100m was a shark jumped. Decent player but still largely unproven at the top level.
A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 16:15 - Aug 27 with 649 viewsGarv

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 23:05 - Aug 26 by tractorshark

I think the worrying trend is players costing £150million or earning £1million a week.
It makes Sancho’s fee seem insignificant.
Grealish going for £100m was a shark jumped. Decent player but still largely unproven at the top level.

The more I see the word Grealish and the numbers £100M in the same sentence the more baffling it seems.

Money is almost irrelevant now so it shouldn't really be of note, but he's not worth that.

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 16:16 - Aug 27 with 649 viewsGarv

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 16:24 - Aug 26 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

‘I’d rather play with Son than Sterling’

And I suspect Harry Kane would rather play with Kevin De Bruyne than Eric Dier, if we’re just going to pluck one random name from each team

Touché.

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 17:18 - Aug 27 with 625 viewsLeaky

Shearer had already won the premier league with Blackburn.
A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 17:44 - Aug 27 with 613 viewsRamRob

A little bit disappointed Kane is staying at Tottenham. on 16:15 - Aug 27 by Garv

The more I see the word Grealish and the numbers £100M in the same sentence the more baffling it seems.

Money is almost irrelevant now so it shouldn't really be of note, but he's not worth that.

He was to Villa and that's all that matters.

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024