Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) 15:12 - Aug 26 with 5877 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 18:24 - Aug 26 with 1220 viewsSwansea_Blue

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 17:46 - Aug 26 by Pinewoodblue

Have a feeling that the majority of Americans go along with it. Any damage to Biden, and US, will be in a worldwide scale.

Yeah maybe, but I really don't know. Maybe the tribalism will carry him through. I've often wondered what it would take for the faithful to break ranks (here in UK as well), and maybe even this isn't enough, especially as foreign policy isn't exactly a priority of the average American.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 18:42 - Aug 26 with 1189 viewsLord_Lucan

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 16:24 - Aug 26 by ronnyd

The Taliban have insisted that there is to be no extending of the Sept 1st deadline. As poor as Biden is, i cant see that he can do much else. The only other option would start the whole twenty year fiasco all over again.

He could have pulled his finger out sooner.

If this were Trump it would be multiple 10 pager Arizona - and rightly so.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:00 - Aug 26 with 1171 viewsbluelagos

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 15:49 - Aug 26 by Lord_Lucan

Exactly

Silly old sod screwed it. He wouldn't go into September as it clashed with 9/11 anniversary.

He has withdrawn without securing civilians withdrawal. He is like a captain leaving a sinking ship without the passengers. He has had loads of time to sort this out.

Impossible for UK to stay in without USA back up even if they wanted to.

It is a total disgrace.

Spot on.

I know the blame game is largely a waste of time - but Biden has come out of this very poorly. A liberal (by US standards) president seems to have washed his hands of thousands of ordinary Afghanis many of who will pay for it with their lives.

Utterly shameful actions - or lack of...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:03 - Aug 26 with 1171 viewsLeaky

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 15:58 - Aug 26 by DinDjarin

Notice Kamala has distanced herself from it all.

Biden was never going to last 1 year let alone 4 and Kamala has been the shoe in from the start.

She was alway's a shoe in as she was probably unelectable by the Americans probably down to race . So will become president when the old duffer retires.
Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:10 - Aug 26 with 1159 viewsbluelagos

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:03 - Aug 26 by Leaky

She was alway's a shoe in as she was probably unelectable by the Americans probably down to race . So will become president when the old duffer retires.

Biden is toast imho. Internationally his reputation is in tatters. Domestically Covid continues apace.

Sooner they get rid the better.

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:19 - Aug 26 with 1134 viewsLord_Lucan

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:10 - Aug 26 by bluelagos

Biden is toast imho. Internationally his reputation is in tatters. Domestically Covid continues apace.

Sooner they get rid the better.

Out of a country of 350 million they ended up with Trump and Biden fighting it out for the leader of the free world??

I mean, is this some sort of fecking joke.

It will get worse, you will eventually end up with someone like Kim Kardashian

Said it for years and I'll stand by it. USA is a sick nation.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Biden : The mission was accomplished in that and terrorism is notBANG!!! on 19:36 - Aug 26 with 1114 viewsTrequartista

What a disaster.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:36 - Aug 26 with 1116 viewsbluelagos

Sky news reporting 12 US soldiers killed in the bombs. Fck knows where this is going...

Login to get fewer ads

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:42 - Aug 26 with 1106 viewsLord_Lucan

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:36 - Aug 26 by bluelagos

Sky news reporting 12 US soldiers killed in the bombs. Fck knows where this is going...

The Man knew something was definitely going to happen today.

Some government bod was on the radio this morning advising everyone to head for the border and avoid the airport.

When pressed on what he knew and how, he just said "Do not go to the airport"

I mean, why the hell didn't they keep a military air base open for all this???

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:51 - Aug 26 with 1094 viewsGuthrum

If this is, as suspected, ISIS-K (the Afghan branch of that organisation), not only do they hate the West, but also are sworn enemies of the Taliban. So it will be interesting to see how those last react to this attack, which is much a challenge to them as to the Coalition forces.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:52 - Aug 26 with 1089 viewsronnyd

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:42 - Aug 26 by Lord_Lucan

Some government bod was on the radio this morning advising everyone to head for the border and avoid the airport.

Isn't Bagram now in the hands of the Taliban? Seems the Yanks left in the night without telling the then Afgan government. Blimey.
Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:55 - Aug 26 with 1084 viewsLord_Lucan

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:51 - Aug 26 by Guthrum

If this is, as suspected, ISIS-K (the Afghan branch of that organisation), not only do they hate the West, but also are sworn enemies of the Taliban. So it will be interesting to see how those last react to this attack, which is much a challenge to them as to the Coalition forces.

Yes, it could turn out like a Millwall v Leeds riot - you don't care how many bodies there are, as long as both take a.battering.

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:59 - Aug 26 with 1071 viewsGuthrum

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:42 - Aug 26 by Lord_Lucan

Bagram Airfield is further out from Kabul (30 miles rather than three) so fewer people able to get there and would not really be any easier to secure from attacks like this.

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:59 - Aug 26 with 1069 viewsGlasgowBlue

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:52 - Aug 26 by ronnyd

Isn't Bagram now in the hands of the Taliban? Seems the Yanks left in the night without telling the then Afgan government. Blimey.

yep.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:03 - Aug 26 with 1045 viewsElderGrizzly

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 18:24 - Aug 26 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah maybe, but I really don't know. Maybe the tribalism will carry him through. I've often wondered what it would take for the faithful to break ranks (here in UK as well), and maybe even this isn't enough, especially as foreign policy isn't exactly a priority of the average American.

They are trying to say it is Biden’s fault that $75bn of equipment has been left in Afghanistan.

That equipment was sold/donated to the Afghans by the Americans. The majority of it under Trump’s tenure.

The fact they now have biometric data of every Afghan who helped the US mission is clearly u forgivable, but there is a lot of revisionism going on here

We had Afghan and UK citizens who are still working and/or did work for the FCDO around the airport today.

Just had the update in last hour they are safe, but have had to leave the area for their own safety now. No idea if or when we will get them out now

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:13 - Aug 26 with 1023 viewsDarth_Koont

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:19 - Aug 26 by Lord_Lucan

Out of a country of 350 million they ended up with Trump and Biden fighting it out for the leader of the free world??

I mean, is this some sort of fecking joke.

It will get worse, you will eventually end up with someone like Kim Kardashian

Said it for years and I'll stand by it. USA is a sick nation.

We’re as bad if not worse. Just that we’re on the inside of our basket case looking out.

And look past the unruly blonde mop and the sprinkled Latin, we already have Kim Kardashian in charge.

Pronouns: He/Him

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:16 - Aug 26 with 1011 viewsMullet

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:51 - Aug 26 by Guthrum

Are we going to see a country torn apart by old scars and tribal lines in the next few years, as the bodies pile up? Feels like we might have ushered in the end of Afghanistan in a real sense over the coming atrocities and bloodshed this week will have given rise to.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:18 - Aug 26 with 1001 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:03 - Aug 26 by ElderGrizzly

They are trying to say it is Biden’s fault that $75bn of equipment has been left in Afghanistan.

That equipment was sold/donated to the Afghans by the Americans. The majority of it under Trump’s tenure.

The fact they now have biometric data of every Afghan who helped the US mission is clearly u forgivable, but there is a lot of revisionism going on here

We had Afghan and UK citizens who are still working and/or did work for the FCDO around the airport today.

Just had the update in last hour they are safe, but have had to leave the area for their own safety now. No idea if or when we will get them out now

I.D cards, what could possibly go wrong! On the plus side I read that the Afghan army was probably only about 60% of its claimed size with the wages of the phantom 40% being claimed by those on the 'in.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/17/afghanistan-ghost-soldiers-taliban

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:31 - Aug 26 with 978 viewsDarth_Koont

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:16 - Aug 26 by Mullet

Are we going to see a country torn apart by old scars and tribal lines in the next few years, as the bodies pile up? Feels like we might have ushered in the end of Afghanistan in a real sense over the coming atrocities and bloodshed this week will have given rise to.

Which raises the question: what were we and the US doing there for the past 20 years if the Taliban grew in power so they were just waiting us to leave?

When the Russians left after 9 years it took the Taliban a further 3 years to gain control. Us? Literally the same day.

We need to take a long hard look at ourselves and what we *think* we’re achieving with these “humanitarian” and “stabilising” interventions.

On a side note, a Middle East commentator made the point that we probably saved an awful lot of bloodshed by effectively leaving the country defenceless and without any internal structures worth a damn. So maybe our utter failure can be a net positive at least.

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:32 - Aug 26 with 974 viewsGuthrum

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:16 - Aug 26 by Mullet

The old Northern Alliance are also threatening to kick off, led by the son of Ahmed Shah Masood (who was killed by the Taliban in September 2001).

Afghanistan hasn't really had much stability since the old king was overthrown in 1973. First autocracy, then the communists and subsequent Soviet invasion, a period of inter-warlord strife, then the first Taliban rule, followed by Western occupation and now the Taliban again.

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:41 - Aug 26 with 937 viewsGuthrum

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:31 - Aug 26 by Darth_Koont

Which raises the question: what were we and the US doing there for the past 20 years if the Taliban grew in power so they were just waiting us to leave?

When the Russians left after 9 years it took the Taliban a further 3 years to gain control. Us? Literally the same day.

We need to take a long hard look at ourselves and what we *think* we’re achieving with these “humanitarian” and “stabilising” interventions.

On a side note, a Middle East commentator made the point that we probably saved an awful lot of bloodshed by effectively leaving the country defenceless and without any internal structures worth a damn. So maybe our utter failure can be a net positive at least.

The Taliban did not exist until several years after the Soviet withdrawal. They were formed in 1994 in part as a reaction to the government collapse and inter-warlord strife which followed 1989.

They didn't particularly grow in power, tho they were helped in recent months by Trump's February 2020 agreement that they and the Americans would no longer fight each other and his much-trumpeted instigation of a withdrawal (which gave them time and space to prepare).

The rapidity of the collapse was down to corruption and lack of will among the Afgan regime, who were more keen on fleeing with their loot than putting up any kind of fight.

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:42 - Aug 26 with 935 viewsGuthrum

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 19:55 - Aug 26 by Lord_Lucan

Yes, it could turn out like a Millwall v Leeds riot - you don't care how many bodies there are, as long as both take a.battering.

Indeed, neither side very nice.

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:48 - Aug 26 with 915 viewsDarth_Koont

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:41 - Aug 26 by Guthrum

The Taliban did not exist until several years after the Soviet withdrawal. They were formed in 1994 in part as a reaction to the government collapse and inter-warlord strife which followed 1989.

They didn't particularly grow in power, tho they were helped in recent months by Trump's February 2020 agreement that they and the Americans would no longer fight each other and his much-trumpeted instigation of a withdrawal (which gave them time and space to prepare).

The rapidity of the collapse was down to corruption and lack of will among the Afgan regime, who were more keen on fleeing with their loot than putting up any kind of fight.

Haha! I did actually wonder if you were going to make that distinction.

The Taliban came from the mujahideen so the point stands overall.

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:48 - Aug 26 with 913 viewsMullet

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:32 - Aug 26 by Guthrum

The old Northern Alliance are also threatening to kick off, led by the son of Ahmed Shah Masood (who was killed by the Taliban in September 2001).

Afghanistan hasn't really had much stability since the old king was overthrown in 1973. First autocracy, then the communists and subsequent Soviet invasion, a period of inter-warlord strife, then the first Taliban rule, followed by Western occupation and now the Taliban again.

In regards to your 1st paragraph I saw that yesterday.

I teach a handful of Pastuns, but they don't talk about Pakistan or Afghanistan really they are very clear on their identity if that makes sense?

Can we expect Pakistan to wade in overtly? Will that draw in India, Iran et al? Maybe I'm just thinking of a Sarajevo in the Middle East scenario?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Suicide bomb at Kabul airport at UK gate reports (n/t) on 20:55 - Aug 26 with 881 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Reports of another explosion.

Edit...ammunition being destroyed.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2021 21:17]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024