Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! 13:50 - Sep 5 with 4162 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Moving there next week and just discovered there are certain properties where you can't apply for a parking permit - and mine is one. So where the F am I supposed to put my car, Islington Council?! (I know about 50% of people reading this are itching to say Gatwick).

I've applied to rent a garage but until that comes through, not sure what I'm supposed to do. Anyone know of a place even vaguely near Islington where parking permits aren't required? Or even better, anyone live in the area with a spare space on their drive for a couple of weeks? Bit of a long shot I know.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 17:47 - Sep 5 with 1875 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 17:15 - Sep 5 by Pendejo

The moral of the tale is... Don't move somewhere you can't park your car.

're Islington, I believe they have issued more permits than they have parking spaces.

If I'd know beforehand we might not've moved there. Plenty of residents parking around there - I've never heard of a property where you're barred from buying a permit though. Our new landlord doesn't drive and just assumed we'd be able to get one.

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 18:37 - Sep 5 with 1822 viewsMattinLondon

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 15:07 - Sep 5 by GlasgowBlue

Write to the local MP

https://jeremycorbyn.org.uk/contact/

Depends which part of Islington the OP is to live in. Emily Thornberry is MP for Islington South.
Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 18:47 - Sep 5 with 1817 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 14:40 - Sep 5 by Fixed_It

WT actual F were you thinking?!?!

It was probably during their European glory year.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 18:47 - Sep 5 with 1812 viewsGlasgowBlue

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 18:37 - Sep 5 by MattinLondon

Depends which part of Islington the OP is to live in. Emily Thornberry is MP for Islington South.

A little part of Dolly just died when you typed that.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 18:49 - Sep 5 with 1810 viewsfactual_blue

Should have stayed in Penge.

No good comes of living north of the Euston Road.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 19:11 - Sep 5 with 1794 viewsKingsCrossBlue

Up until 18 months ago, I lived on Keystone Crescent, just off of the Cally Road. The Crescent, I think is the smallest residential crescent in the world, and whilst we didn’t have parking, a lot of the street did and rented the spaces out on the car park equivalent of Airbnb.

Have a look for that as I know a lot of folk had long term parking agreements there.

Also, do you really need a car, living there? You have the biggest transport interchange and zip car on every street.
Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 19:22 - Sep 5 with 1788 viewsmutters

When i moved to London i had a car, and faced the same challenges you have. Within a year I had sold it as really didn't need it for work and the transport hub was enough for me. The only thing I missed it for was travelling to to matches but you soon adjust to trainlife. I only bought a car again when I needed one for work and by then I had moved to the suburbs and had a driveway. I found in the year I had it in London it spent most of its time sitting on a random road a walk away from where I lived. Not really worth it in my opinion.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 19:22]

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 20:05 - Sep 5 with 1757 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 19:11 - Sep 5 by KingsCrossBlue

Up until 18 months ago, I lived on Keystone Crescent, just off of the Cally Road. The Crescent, I think is the smallest residential crescent in the world, and whilst we didn’t have parking, a lot of the street did and rented the spaces out on the car park equivalent of Airbnb.

Have a look for that as I know a lot of folk had long term parking agreements there.

Also, do you really need a car, living there? You have the biggest transport interchange and zip car on every street.

My mate used to live opposite Kings Cross station when it was a right sh1t hole, he had a flat above an off licence. I used to love the odd occasion when I stayed round there, the people watching was second to none - much better than TV

He was on the exhibition circuit and I used to see him when the Ideal Home Show was on, he was an actor of sorts but done the exhibitions for money as budding actors are usually out of work. He auditioned for Renton in Trainspotting but obviously didn’t get it, his name was also Ewan funnily enough.

Wonder what he’s doing now, haven’t seen him since 96. Funny how life turns out. Kings Cross is a different place now isn’t it. There used to be some cracking clubs around there. I know everything is nicer and safer now but I think it’s all a crying shame.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 20:20 - Sep 5 with 1727 viewsMeadowlark

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 14:03 - Sep 5 by gtsb1966

You was born and bred in London but decided to align yourself with a load of slack jawed yokels. The mind boggles.

You "were" born....
No further comment necessary!
Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 07:43 - Sep 6 with 1631 viewsElephantintheRoom

Crikey - how are you going to charge up your electric car?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 09:09 - Sep 6 with 1609 viewshype313

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 19:22 - Sep 5 by mutters

When i moved to London i had a car, and faced the same challenges you have. Within a year I had sold it as really didn't need it for work and the transport hub was enough for me. The only thing I missed it for was travelling to to matches but you soon adjust to trainlife. I only bought a car again when I needed one for work and by then I had moved to the suburbs and had a driveway. I found in the year I had it in London it spent most of its time sitting on a random road a walk away from where I lived. Not really worth it in my opinion.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 19:22]

Indeed, don't get why would you need a car if you live in London.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 09:29 - Sep 6 with 1597 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 09:09 - Sep 6 by hype313

Indeed, don't get why would you need a car if you live in London.

Firstly, I already have car! It's not like I've chosen a car-free address and then bought a car. Now I've found out I can't park there I need something to do with it!

Secondly, if you live in central London, yes, you don't need a car. On the outskirts, where I am now, it's handy for the local supermarket (carrying back heavy stuff), going to places like Ikea... going for drives in the countryside/Sunday lunch/going on UK-based holidays. We also use it to visit our parents (in Essex and Birmingham).

None of these are needs per se. We could get by without a car (although neither sets of parents are near a train station so driving door-to-door is a lot more convenient).

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 09:35 - Sep 6 with 1589 viewshype313

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 09:29 - Sep 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

Firstly, I already have car! It's not like I've chosen a car-free address and then bought a car. Now I've found out I can't park there I need something to do with it!

Secondly, if you live in central London, yes, you don't need a car. On the outskirts, where I am now, it's handy for the local supermarket (carrying back heavy stuff), going to places like Ikea... going for drives in the countryside/Sunday lunch/going on UK-based holidays. We also use it to visit our parents (in Essex and Birmingham).

None of these are needs per se. We could get by without a car (although neither sets of parents are near a train station so driving door-to-door is a lot more convenient).

You have a ready made excuse to not go to Ikea, sell the car and say we can't go love! What an out.

But, yeah bit of a sweeping statement by me, appreciate you might want to venture out occasionally, my cousin lives in Borough and the cost for him to park his car is colossal, but they do like getting away at weekends, and as we all know, the rail service at weekends is dire.

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 09:41 - Sep 6 with 1584 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 09:35 - Sep 6 by hype313

You have a ready made excuse to not go to Ikea, sell the car and say we can't go love! What an out.

But, yeah bit of a sweeping statement by me, appreciate you might want to venture out occasionally, my cousin lives in Borough and the cost for him to park his car is colossal, but they do like getting away at weekends, and as we all know, the rail service at weekends is dire.

Let the poor bloke have a car. It’s every mans right to be able to jet about and do what they want. What if he decides to go to the seaside for the day?

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 09:43 - Sep 6 with 1578 viewshype313

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 09:41 - Sep 6 by Lord_Lucan

Let the poor bloke have a car. It’s every mans right to be able to jet about and do what they want. What if he decides to go to the seaside for the day?

That's why I said it was a sweeping statement ba.

Understand people might not want to spend 24/7 in London Town.

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 09:51 - Sep 6 with 1567 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 09:35 - Sep 6 by hype313

Ha, I only said "like" Ikea. I just meant 'places where you buy stuff that might be easier with a car.' I don't mind Ikea as it goes - there's always the meatballs treat.

Living in Borough (and indeed Finny P) is very different to Crystal Palace. The trains have improved out here but it's still not the same as jumping on the tube.

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 16:18 - Sep 6 with 1490 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

I work there quite a bit and some areas of the that borough cost up to £18 per hour on a meter to park
Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 17:19 - Sep 6 with 1467 viewsbluelagos

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 09:29 - Sep 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

You looked at Zip car? Reads to me like it could be the perfect solution for the short trips - hire a car for the odd times when it makes like life much easier without the hassle / cost of running a car that sits unused most weeks.

And there's loads of car hires for the longer trips away. I used to hire a car for a little over £125 a week for trips out of London / holidays. Probably a bit more now but get in early and they can be quite affordable.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 17:25 - Sep 6 with 1456 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 17:19 - Sep 6 by bluelagos

You looked at Zip car? Reads to me like it could be the perfect solution for the short trips - hire a car for the odd times when it makes like life much easier without the hassle / cost of running a car that sits unused most weeks.

And there's loads of car hires for the longer trips away. I used to hire a car for a little over £125 a week for trips out of London / holidays. Probably a bit more now but get in early and they can be quite affordable.

You can still hire a car for c.£100 if you find the right branch (Enfield Brimsdown always has good prices as there's 3 brands together there).

Not sure zip car and the like stack up though on cost grounds.

Just to defend Dolly a little here, I never needed a car in London, but having had one for a year or so, it's changed my life in quite a dramatic way. The obvious benefit is being able to easily get out of town now without having book, borrow or travel anywhere. But even the little trips like taking the boy round to his friend's house, footy training or going to see the old dear in Islington are much easier now. Covid has changed things up too - not overly keen on getting on a packed tube now unless I'm drinking at the other end.

I know I shouldn't say this on the eco front, but car ownership in London has been a massive plus. Don't get rid of it too quickly Dolly!
[Post edited 6 Sep 2021 17:25]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 17:51 - Sep 6 with 1441 viewsbluelagos

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 17:25 - Sep 6 by giant_stow

You can still hire a car for c.£100 if you find the right branch (Enfield Brimsdown always has good prices as there's 3 brands together there).

Not sure zip car and the like stack up though on cost grounds.

Just to defend Dolly a little here, I never needed a car in London, but having had one for a year or so, it's changed my life in quite a dramatic way. The obvious benefit is being able to easily get out of town now without having book, borrow or travel anywhere. But even the little trips like taking the boy round to his friend's house, footy training or going to see the old dear in Islington are much easier now. Covid has changed things up too - not overly keen on getting on a packed tube now unless I'm drinking at the other end.

I know I shouldn't say this on the eco front, but car ownership in London has been a massive plus. Don't get rid of it too quickly Dolly!
[Post edited 6 Sep 2021 17:25]

Don't think anyone's having a dig tbf. Cars offer a lot in terms of convenience but if there's anywhere that you have decent transport alternatives, it's London. I now have a 2 hourly bus timetable to/from Ipswich, oh to just go to the bus stop knowing you'll be waiting a max 10 mins for the next one...

In London it pretty much depends where you are and the parking issues. I stopped in Kensington for a couple of months once, and my car was more hassle than benefit. Had to be away to work before the restrictions came in and then couldn't park til 6.30pm. Used to spend Saturday mornings having to move the car too.

When I lived in Kingston I got rid of my car as I just wasn't using it. Trips to central London on the train or 2 wheels were much easier.

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 17:57 - Sep 6 with 1437 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 17:51 - Sep 6 by bluelagos

Don't think anyone's having a dig tbf. Cars offer a lot in terms of convenience but if there's anywhere that you have decent transport alternatives, it's London. I now have a 2 hourly bus timetable to/from Ipswich, oh to just go to the bus stop knowing you'll be waiting a max 10 mins for the next one...

In London it pretty much depends where you are and the parking issues. I stopped in Kensington for a couple of months once, and my car was more hassle than benefit. Had to be away to work before the restrictions came in and then couldn't park til 6.30pm. Used to spend Saturday mornings having to move the car too.

When I lived in Kingston I got rid of my car as I just wasn't using it. Trips to central London on the train or 2 wheels were much easier.

Ah yeah you're a motorbike fan innit - they win in London! Just a bit dangerous for my taste. My friend gave me a ride on the back of his scooter a few years back - I think he still has scratch marks on his back from where I was holding on for dear life! terrifying.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 18:08 - Sep 6 with 1428 viewsBloomBlue

It's well known that people who live in Islington either cycle everywhere or their chauffeur collects them from outside of their house every day so you park your car at the chauffeur's house.
Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 18:22 - Sep 6 with 1418 viewsbluelagos

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 17:57 - Sep 6 by giant_stow

Ah yeah you're a motorbike fan innit - they win in London! Just a bit dangerous for my taste. My friend gave me a ride on the back of his scooter a few years back - I think he still has scratch marks on his back from where I was holding on for dear life! terrifying.

I actually started on a scooter before growing a pair and getting a proper bike. But scoots defo have their place and central London in one of the them tbf.

A Vespa type thing is way easier to get around the traffic and with the speed limits, little point having anything souped / desirable as you'll only get it knicked.

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 19:49 - Sep 6 with 1391 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone live in or near Islington (or know about the parking there)?! on 17:19 - Sep 6 by bluelagos

Thing is, I've recently bought a new car. I don't want to get rid of it already!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024