Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hope everyone is ready 08:06 - Sep 27 with 8840 viewschicoazul

…for the rolling blackouts, meat rationing, bins collected once a month, fuel shortages, price inflation, and materials shortages of the next 7 months.
Never mind petrol; start panic buying warm blankets.
Still at least Greta will be happy.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Hope everyone is ready on 13:33 - Sep 27 with 1004 viewsHerbivore

Hope everyone is ready on 13:23 - Sep 27 by Ely_Blue

Remind me about the lack of water in parts of California because of the almond production and the secondary effects of wildfires and other environmental damage caused by water diversion to farm almonds!

That's an incredibly myopic and hyperbolic take, but even humouring you on it almond milk require less water to produce than it takes to produce dairy milk. And almond milk is not the only source of plant based milk either, as has been pointed out to you. Going "yeah but almonds" as a way to try and argue that a plant based diet is worse for the environment than eating meat and dairy is utter madness.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 15:35]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hope everyone is ready on 13:47 - Sep 27 with 973 viewsDanTheMan

Hope everyone is ready on 13:06 - Sep 27 by Ely_Blue

Yes and yes

Soy production is as bad as if not worse than the mass deforestation caused by palm oil production, don’t get me started on the extra reliance on coconut oil/fat in meat free products and how unsustainable and unethical that is.

Almond milk is far more resource hungry than any dairy herd will ever be, just ask the people of California where most of the production comes from

"Almond milk is far more resource hungry than any dairy herd will ever be, just ask the people of California where most of the production comes from"

As far as I know, this is flat out incorrect. How did you come to this conclusion?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Hope everyone is ready (n/t) on 13:49 - Sep 27 with 968 viewsBlueNomad

[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 13:51]
Hope everyone is ready on 13:50 - Sep 27 with 967 viewsHerbivore

Hope everyone is ready on 13:47 - Sep 27 by DanTheMan

"Almond milk is far more resource hungry than any dairy herd will ever be, just ask the people of California where most of the production comes from"

As far as I know, this is flat out incorrect. How did you come to this conclusion?

I posted this comparison of different types of milk and the resources needed to produce them earlier, I'm guessing Ely didn't read it or he has some alternative facts: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46654042.amp

Hope everyone is ready on 13:59 - Sep 27 with 951 viewsbluelagos

Hope everyone is ready on 13:33 - Sep 27 by Herbivore

That's an incredibly myopic and hyperbolic take, but even humouring you on it almond milk require less water to produce than it takes to produce dairy milk. And almond milk is not the only source of plant based milk either, as has been pointed out to you. Going "yeah but almonds" as a way to try and argue that a plant based diet is worse for the environment than eating meat and dairy is utter madness.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 15:35]

Similar to the "Yeah but China" line some people come out with when arguing we shouldn't be taking climate change seriously.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Hope everyone is ready on 14:03 - Sep 27 with 939 viewsbluelagos

Hope everyone is ready on 13:50 - Sep 27 by Herbivore

I posted this comparison of different types of milk and the resources needed to produce them earlier, I'm guessing Ely didn't read it or he has some alternative facts: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46654042.amp

You've convinced me to try some oatmilk. Any insights on the coffeemate dry powder stuff you put in coffee?

Hope everyone is ready on 14:12 - Sep 27 with 914 viewsjudespiveyg

Hope everyone is ready on 08:15 - Sep 27 by chicoazul

Paul Kelly if Kelly Turkeys is a good friend of a friend of mine. He, along with practically every other farmer in Essex and Suffolk, voted Leave.

I know this isn't really where the thread has gone but from my own (admittedly fairly anecdotal, most of my family are farmers) experience, to say that practically every farmer voted leave is at best an exaggeration, and at worst a massive lie playing to the stereotype that rural people are thick and/or racist coming from white-collared city-boys who can't tell a wheat crop from a barley crop (and yes I realise that's also a stereotype). Think it also comes from the assumption that all farmers own vast estates and are rich. It doesn't make much sense to me that people who are often kept afloat from EU subsidies and rely on cheap foreign labour would vote to get rid of them.

Again though my evidence is mostly anecdotal so if there's sufficient data to prove me wrong, so be it.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Hope everyone is ready on 14:26 - Sep 27 with 889 viewsHerbivore

Hope everyone is ready on 14:03 - Sep 27 by bluelagos

You've convinced me to try some oatmilk. Any insights on the coffeemate dry powder stuff you put in coffee?

It's the work of the devil. Oat milk is nice, when I first toyed with going vegan finding a plant based milk that worked in hot drinks was a struggle until I found oat milk, it works really well.

Login to get fewer ads

Hope everyone is ready on 14:27 - Sep 27 with 878 viewsmonytowbray

Hope everyone is ready on 11:33 - Sep 27 by Ely_Blue

Everything in moderation, what’s your alternative? Meat replaces? Non dairy milks?

Ummm, yes?

I’ve been on both for around 6 years now. I’m not dead. In fact the opposite and then some.

Problem now is market has shifted to overpriced vegan junk food and ironically the same people who moaned about veganism being a white M-class privilege are now the same people paying £3.50 for a can of Suma product.

Vegan capitalism is well underway and although I support it as a positive step it’s largely missing the point. Starting a local vegan empire through poor wages and treating humans like dirt to extract profit isn’t ethical, but it is better than Tescos.

Humans aren’t allowed nice things, our greed and short sightedness has been the downfall of everything ever.

Half the battle comes from food education, the meat/dairy industry’s psuedo science has been pushed in schools for decades and the cynic in me thinks they like to keep us low skilled and dependent. McDonalds don’t want you at home cooking fresh as you’d eat there less. Birdseye don’t want you making your own homemade breaded products either for the same reason.

Then you add a layer of disaster capitalism where people don’t have the time either. You work 9-5 and all the other commitments, none of us are immune to a biege oven dinner time to time, but it does feel like want us in that exhausted state constantly to make said choice.

Learning to cook vegetables, chickpeas and lentils. Growing your own veg. Avoiding chains (and the odd theft if you can’t wink wink) in exchange for local business not ran by a millionaire extracting money from YOUR area to hoard it on a tax haven. Doing your research on where/what you buy. Considering your own environmental footprint daily and challenging yourself to be better.

All of these ways are a great way to stick two fingers up at the system and do your bit with little effort. The race to the bottom makes it harder to find and afford the more ethical option, but that doesn’t mean we should stop trying.

EDIT - reading further into the thread revealed Ely is part of the ignorance problem so 🤷‍♂️
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 14:39]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Hope everyone is ready on 14:32 - Sep 27 with 872 viewsmonytowbray

Hope everyone is ready on 12:25 - Sep 27 by Ely_Blue

Chickens aren’t battery farmed these days

Chickens are barn reared and even when given the opportunity to roam free they don’t like fields.

I don’t disagree that chicken welfare needs to be improved though

You live in another world where your own eyes and ears deceive you.

I’d call it 1984 but really I think you’re just an ignorant sap.

TWTD never forgets…

Hope everyone is ready on 14:33 - Sep 27 with 871 viewsmonytowbray

Hope everyone is ready on 12:35 - Sep 27 by Herbivore

Most soy production currently is for animal feed, we'd probably need less soy overall if we did away with farming cattle for meat. Almond milk is water intensive, though less so than dairy, but there are other plant based alternatives that use far less water so that's a non-issue. You're really avoiding all of my questions here, I suspect it's because the answers make you feel uncomfortable.

I told him this 5 years ago. He’s a moron.

TWTD never forgets…

Hope everyone is ready on 14:34 - Sep 27 with 883 viewsDanTheMan

Hope everyone is ready on 14:27 - Sep 27 by monytowbray

Ummm, yes?

I’ve been on both for around 6 years now. I’m not dead. In fact the opposite and then some.

Problem now is market has shifted to overpriced vegan junk food and ironically the same people who moaned about veganism being a white M-class privilege are now the same people paying £3.50 for a can of Suma product.

Vegan capitalism is well underway and although I support it as a positive step it’s largely missing the point. Starting a local vegan empire through poor wages and treating humans like dirt to extract profit isn’t ethical, but it is better than Tescos.

Humans aren’t allowed nice things, our greed and short sightedness has been the downfall of everything ever.

Half the battle comes from food education, the meat/dairy industry’s psuedo science has been pushed in schools for decades and the cynic in me thinks they like to keep us low skilled and dependent. McDonalds don’t want you at home cooking fresh as you’d eat there less. Birdseye don’t want you making your own homemade breaded products either for the same reason.

Then you add a layer of disaster capitalism where people don’t have the time either. You work 9-5 and all the other commitments, none of us are immune to a biege oven dinner time to time, but it does feel like want us in that exhausted state constantly to make said choice.

Learning to cook vegetables, chickpeas and lentils. Growing your own veg. Avoiding chains (and the odd theft if you can’t wink wink) in exchange for local business not ran by a millionaire extracting money from YOUR area to hoard it on a tax haven. Doing your research on where/what you buy. Considering your own environmental footprint daily and challenging yourself to be better.

All of these ways are a great way to stick two fingers up at the system and do your bit with little effort. The race to the bottom makes it harder to find and afford the more ethical option, but that doesn’t mean we should stop trying.

EDIT - reading further into the thread revealed Ely is part of the ignorance problem so 🤷‍♂️
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 14:39]

I have annoyingly noticed that also as the vegan range increases, the amount of gluten free options most stores have seems to decrease. Why they can't do both ranges is beyond me.

Which becomes a bit of a pain when shopping for someone who is celiac.

Hope everyone is ready on 14:34 - Sep 27 with 871 viewsmonytowbray

Hope everyone is ready on 13:06 - Sep 27 by Ely_Blue

Yes and yes

Soy production is as bad as if not worse than the mass deforestation caused by palm oil production, don’t get me started on the extra reliance on coconut oil/fat in meat free products and how unsustainable and unethical that is.

Almond milk is far more resource hungry than any dairy herd will ever be, just ask the people of California where most of the production comes from

I am begging you to provide evidence of that. Come on Ely, let your own arguments send you on a meltdown.

TWTD never forgets…

Hope everyone is ready on 14:36 - Sep 27 with 868 viewsmonytowbray

Hope everyone is ready on 13:32 - Sep 27 by eireblue

That is a reason to not use Almond Milk from California.

It is not a reason to keep using milk from cows, instead of other alternatives.

As an aside, I had a friend that used to tell people he worked in the Wine Trade. He moved barrels in a warehouse.

Can you explain a little bit more on your role in the food industry, as we know an appeal to authority is a fallacious argument, and you may have a bias if you make money from animal products.

Really we should just be informed by facts. Some of which have been posted already.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 13:34]

He makes glorified ready meals.

TWTD never forgets…

Hope everyone is ready on 14:37 - Sep 27 with 863 viewsmonytowbray

Drink it black or throw yourself in the bin.

Milk in coffee, you heavens!

TWTD never forgets…

Hope everyone is ready on 14:41 - Sep 27 with 850 viewsbluelagos

Hope everyone is ready on 14:37 - Sep 27 by monytowbray

Drink it black or throw yourself in the bin.

Milk in coffee, you heavens!

I even drink decaf...I know, I know.

Hope everyone is ready on 14:41 - Sep 27 with 838 viewsmonytowbray

Hope everyone is ready on 14:34 - Sep 27 by DanTheMan

I have annoyingly noticed that also as the vegan range increases, the amount of gluten free options most stores have seems to decrease. Why they can't do both ranges is beyond me.

Which becomes a bit of a pain when shopping for someone who is celiac.

We can’t have a vegan Greggs steakbake and a sausage/bean bake on the menu at the same time either. It’s getting better but meat free or cruelty free or sustainable is still largely an afterthought to get some extra cash to many businesses.

New pizza shop in town opposite Sainsbos/Wilkos made a big thing about a vegan menu but want £2 extra for vegan cheese. F’ off! And then the meat industry complains a “meat tax” is unfair. WE ARE DOING IT BACKWARDS FFS.

Same with the GF stuff really, all an afterthought, and if it doesn’t sell it soon gets replaced with what will. Almost as if capitalism is the problem at the top and everything else is a product of.

Money says Ely doesn’t come back.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 14:46]

TWTD never forgets…

Hope everyone is ready on 14:44 - Sep 27 with 827 viewsmonytowbray

Hope everyone is ready on 14:41 - Sep 27 by bluelagos

I even drink decaf...I know, I know.

You’re meant to drink the coffee bean mate, not the dirt it was grown in ;)

TWTD never forgets…

Hope everyone is ready on 14:56 - Sep 27 with 801 viewsDanTheMan

Hope everyone is ready on 14:41 - Sep 27 by monytowbray

We can’t have a vegan Greggs steakbake and a sausage/bean bake on the menu at the same time either. It’s getting better but meat free or cruelty free or sustainable is still largely an afterthought to get some extra cash to many businesses.

New pizza shop in town opposite Sainsbos/Wilkos made a big thing about a vegan menu but want £2 extra for vegan cheese. F’ off! And then the meat industry complains a “meat tax” is unfair. WE ARE DOING IT BACKWARDS FFS.

Same with the GF stuff really, all an afterthought, and if it doesn’t sell it soon gets replaced with what will. Almost as if capitalism is the problem at the top and everything else is a product of.

Money says Ely doesn’t come back.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 14:46]

Even more annoyingly, most of the vegan stuff is just packed with wheat to replicate the stringy texture of some meats so there's loads of stuff she just can't have.

My partner does end up getting increasingly frustrated by the gluten free options getting smaller and smaller, especially as it's not like she's shopping this way out of choice.

Also amazing what companies manage to put wheat into.

Hope everyone is ready on 14:59 - Sep 27 with 795 viewschicoazul

Hope everyone is ready on 13:59 - Sep 27 by bluelagos

Similar to the "Yeah but China" line some people come out with when arguing we shouldn't be taking climate change seriously.

I don’t know who you mean by this but I am a Yeah But China person, who doesn’t think we shouldn’t take climate change seriously. What I *do* say is there is very little point in radically altering our economy, sacking lots of people, exposing ourselves to energy shortages & reliance on Russia and the EU, raising ever more taxation, all in the name of Green policies that will have precisely zero effect on planet warming unless we can somehow get China India Mexico Brazil Indonesia and the US to do the same.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 15:06]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Hope everyone is ready on 15:08 - Sep 27 with 773 viewsmonytowbray

Hope everyone is ready on 14:59 - Sep 27 by chicoazul

I don’t know who you mean by this but I am a Yeah But China person, who doesn’t think we shouldn’t take climate change seriously. What I *do* say is there is very little point in radically altering our economy, sacking lots of people, exposing ourselves to energy shortages & reliance on Russia and the EU, raising ever more taxation, all in the name of Green policies that will have precisely zero effect on planet warming unless we can somehow get China India Mexico Brazil Indonesia and the US to do the same.

All this tells me is you have no idea what you’re on about.

You can’t provide evidence of that, because it’s completely made up.

I don’t think you should be invited to the adult table anymore. Have some crayons and stick to the BANTER ERA thread.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 15:08]

TWTD never forgets…

Hope everyone is ready on 15:16 - Sep 27 with 753 viewsbluelagos

Hope everyone is ready on 14:59 - Sep 27 by chicoazul

"...Green policies that will have precisely zero effect on planet warming..."

QED.

Hope everyone is ready on 15:21 - Sep 27 with 738 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Ooh I can help with that. It's sh1t, don't do it.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Hope everyone is ready on 15:25 - Sep 27 with 718 viewsmonytowbray

Hope everyone is ready on 15:16 - Sep 27 by bluelagos

"...Green policies that will have precisely zero effect on planet warming..."

QED.

“Doesn’t believe we should take climate change seriously.”

Don’t need to even read the rest of the post at that point.

This is what we are up against, the morons in this thread.

Jesus wept, we’re f**ked!

TWTD never forgets…

Hope everyone is ready on 15:29 - Sep 27 with 715 viewsbluelagos

Hope everyone is ready on 15:25 - Sep 27 by monytowbray

“Doesn’t believe we should take climate change seriously.”

Don’t need to even read the rest of the post at that point.

This is what we are up against, the morons in this thread.

Jesus wept, we’re f**ked!

People who think our govt shouldn't act are around, but they are very much in the minority fortunately. Even BJ is talking a good game in the lead up to the COP thingy.

The issue for me is making the promises made actually happen...I don't have much faith in our political leaders to see them through to fruition.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024