Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby 23:39 - Oct 14 with 3162 viewsunstableblue

Huge game

Russell Martin’s men, with our Flynn, trying to play football the right way, but not yet winning consistently, take on the poor to watch Cardiff in a massive game for Mick

From the Cardiff forum lead “ To many Mick can’t afford to lose this local derby against rivals Swansea as that would be it to many, after McCarthy has not only lost 7 of his last 8 games , but the his team has played dire football.”

Cardiff home attendances dropping fast as the entertainment retreats into a team with 8 defensive players

But I have a sneaky feeling Mick might pull off an away victory

Although the purists will surely want a home win

Some derby

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 10:26 - Oct 15 with 1057 viewsBlueBadger

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 08:27 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

The state of it.

One of these days he'll work out that Mick is still managing teams a division higher than us and all the 'technical' managers he's liked since then, aren't.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 10:26]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 10:29 - Oct 15 with 1042 viewsBlueBadger

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 09:43 - Oct 15 by Bluefish

We could be relegated to the conference and they would still claim they prefer it to Super Mick

My favourite bit was when people claimed to have enjoyed being beaten 3-0 by a Norwich team barely out of second gear than a hard fought draw a year previously.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 11:31 - Oct 15 with 998 viewsunstableblue

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 10:26 - Oct 15 by J2BLUE

The right way? This is such a meaningless line. The right way to play football is to score more goals than your opponent. Defending is part of the game.

Getting teams playing like Barcelona (lol Flynn, bless) is meaningless if you don't get results. If MM sets up defensively and wins 1-0 with 90 minutes of dire long ball the Cardiff fans will love it.

Sadly J2Blue you're wrong

"If MM sets up defensively and wins 1-0 with 90 minutes of dire long ball the Cardiff fans will love it."

I visit the Cardiff forums regularly, where my families from.

I can tell you now, even when they were on a run last season, there was probably 20-30% of posters were already questioning the football - WHICH is crazy seeing how well they were doing, and it wasn't just 1-0s. That has grown to a cacophony of negativity to the style as the results have faltered.

Where I agree with you is this "Getting teams playing like Barcelona (lol Flynn, bless) is meaningless if you don't get results. " which is where Swansea and Martin are at.

That's why I said Mick will probably edge this one.

Its hard to play in a way that is pleasing on the eye and effective; and there should be a balance of sometimes falling back on the dark arts and more industrial football.

But its 2021.. Plymouth are playing a pleasing style? and coventory the exemplar

Ipswich under the Cook are giving us 20 mins of the style we all want... but its currently failing as a project. We'll know more by the final whistle at pompey??

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 11:37 - Oct 15 with 993 viewsunstableblue

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 08:23 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

Yep, definitely better to be in the bottom half of League 1 with a massive budget than the top half of the Championship with a small one

Oh come on Joe!

The Cook project is just not working currently, its just not consistent, there are question marks over player consistency and energy. BUT we have seen glimpses of a style we all crave, and its wonderful at times (albeit fleeting).

Will it work, will we be consistently exciting, who knows? I do think it was a root and branch overhaul, more so than we realise, we had to strip out the failing old guard. But there are HUGE question marks over Cook.

But come on, Cardiff are 20th, second bottom of the form table, home attendances (take out away) are dropping fast, and fans eyes are bleeding - is that really your aspiration?

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 11:43 - Oct 15 with 984 viewsHerbivore

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 10:04 - Oct 15 by Fixed_It

Depends who 'they' are. I loved Mick as a manager and thoroughly enjoyed the 'Murphy' season. However, it got stale and he resorted to pragmatic football as his resources diminished. The declining seasons were not much fun. It hardly got any better under Hurst (obviously), and then we had Lambert, with meaningless passing with zero penetration, and many players obviously past their best.
There is an excitement about going to games now, and hopefully that will continue tomorrow and beyond.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 10:14]

Although if we're being honest the majority of that excitement is about new ownership, the project, and the signings we've made than it is about what's actually happening on the pitch, which hasn't been great by any measure.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 12:34]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 11:44 - Oct 15 with 980 viewsJ2BLUE

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 11:31 - Oct 15 by unstableblue

Sadly J2Blue you're wrong

"If MM sets up defensively and wins 1-0 with 90 minutes of dire long ball the Cardiff fans will love it."

I visit the Cardiff forums regularly, where my families from.

I can tell you now, even when they were on a run last season, there was probably 20-30% of posters were already questioning the football - WHICH is crazy seeing how well they were doing, and it wasn't just 1-0s. That has grown to a cacophony of negativity to the style as the results have faltered.

Where I agree with you is this "Getting teams playing like Barcelona (lol Flynn, bless) is meaningless if you don't get results. " which is where Swansea and Martin are at.

That's why I said Mick will probably edge this one.

Its hard to play in a way that is pleasing on the eye and effective; and there should be a balance of sometimes falling back on the dark arts and more industrial football.

But its 2021.. Plymouth are playing a pleasing style? and coventory the exemplar

Ipswich under the Cook are giving us 20 mins of the style we all want... but its currently failing as a project. We'll know more by the final whistle at pompey??

I'm wrong? I'm talking about the derby not the entire season. I don't believe fans care how they win derbies as long as they win.

If they win a derby and are whinging about the style of play then they have their priorities wrong.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 12:27 - Oct 15 with 943 viewsitfcjoe

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 11:37 - Oct 15 by unstableblue

Oh come on Joe!

The Cook project is just not working currently, its just not consistent, there are question marks over player consistency and energy. BUT we have seen glimpses of a style we all crave, and its wonderful at times (albeit fleeting).

Will it work, will we be consistently exciting, who knows? I do think it was a root and branch overhaul, more so than we realise, we had to strip out the failing old guard. But there are HUGE question marks over Cook.

But come on, Cardiff are 20th, second bottom of the form table, home attendances (take out away) are dropping fast, and fans eyes are bleeding - is that really your aspiration?

No, that isn't my aspiration, my aspiration is to be a Premier League side.

But when Mick left us we were in a position to kick on - we had a good squad with talent in there and it was a great opportunity for someone to take that on. But we badly failed and here we are.

But we are 14th in League 1 and losing more games than we win currently - this isn't my aspiration

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 12:31 - Oct 15 with 928 viewshype313

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 11:43 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

Although if we're being honest the majority of that excitement is about new ownership, the project, and the signings we've made than it is about what's actually happening on the pitch, which hasn't been great by any measure.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 12:34]

That's a key point, and where the blurred lines start to take shape.

We were all so desperate for new ownership, new investment, new players and feel good vibe around the place (which we got) that we almost now seem to turn a blind eye to the performances so far.

I remain optimistic, but under no illusions if things don't start improving and start getting some consistency, then changes will happen.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 12:42 - Oct 15 with 909 viewsKeaneish

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 09:12 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

Shall we wait until we are at least looking like we may get out of League 1 first, this is the first time we've been in the bottom half of the 3rd tier since Sir Alf Ramsey was in charge after all

Why? Everything about the club is moving in the right direction, when was the last time we could say that? Isn't it about enjoying the progress rather than just waiting for success? You'll miss out on most of the season if that's the case.

I'll take a Paul Cook and Gamechanger strategy over previous incumbents even if it means we have to wait another year to get out. Obviously no-one wants that but even that is better than the slow painful, dilapidated, stale demise we experienced week-in-week-out under Evans.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 12:45 - Oct 15 with 905 viewsitfcjoe

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 12:42 - Oct 15 by Keaneish

Why? Everything about the club is moving in the right direction, when was the last time we could say that? Isn't it about enjoying the progress rather than just waiting for success? You'll miss out on most of the season if that's the case.

I'll take a Paul Cook and Gamechanger strategy over previous incumbents even if it means we have to wait another year to get out. Obviously no-one wants that but even that is better than the slow painful, dilapidated, stale demise we experienced week-in-week-out under Evans.

No everything isn't moving in the right direction - a hell of a lot is but the biggest indicator of success and what a football club is based on and judged on - on pitch performaces - isn't.

Hopefully that is an "isn't yet" but it is probably just a slikely we end up making a change and someone else has a go at it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 12:46 - Oct 15 with 895 viewsBluefish

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 12:45 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

No everything isn't moving in the right direction - a hell of a lot is but the biggest indicator of success and what a football club is based on and judged on - on pitch performaces - isn't.

Hopefully that is an "isn't yet" but it is probably just a slikely we end up making a change and someone else has a go at it

Some people have no concept of the performances indicator. It would be like you or I trying to assess some modern art vs an art critic

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 12:50 - Oct 15 with 877 viewsHerbivore

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 12:42 - Oct 15 by Keaneish

Everything about the club is moving in the right direction, except that we're bottom half in the third division and yet to win back to back games this season. It you take performances, results, and league position out of the equation then everything is going great, love the murals on the Cobbold Stand.

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 12:53 - Oct 15 with 865 viewsSkip_Intro

'our Flynn'...hahaha - he didn't want to play for us for the last season and a half he was here...glad he's gone
Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 13:18 - Oct 15 with 838 viewsHighgateBlue

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 10:26 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

One of these days he'll work out that Mick is still managing teams a division higher than us and all the 'technical' managers he's liked since then, aren't.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 10:26]

A fair few of our fans would do well to reach the same conclusion.
Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 13:43 - Oct 15 with 797 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 10:29 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

My favourite bit was when people claimed to have enjoyed being beaten 3-0 by a Norwich team barely out of second gear than a hard fought draw a year previously.

Even funnier thing after that game when some people would underline that it was good to get 'a few words of truth' from our 'exceptional, amazing, out of this world' skipper.

Bunch of horrible wasters that took us down without a fight yet they still got clapped and cheered.
Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 14:11 - Oct 15 with 769 viewsKeaneish

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 12:50 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

Everything about the club is moving in the right direction, except that we're bottom half in the third division and yet to win back to back games this season. It you take performances, results, and league position out of the equation then everything is going great, love the murals on the Cobbold Stand.

Go away you boring tit. Same repetitive nonsense week-after-week. We’re on the up, anyone can see that. Dreary. Really, fking drearrrrry…

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 14:17 - Oct 15 with 758 viewsHerbivore

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 14:11 - Oct 15 by Keaneish

Go away you boring tit. Same repetitive nonsense week-after-week. We’re on the up, anyone can see that. Dreary. Really, fking drearrrrry…

Mate, you were giving it the big un after we humped a poor Donny side about how great everything was and how we'd clearly turned a corner. You then disappeared after the Accrington game. Perhaps wait until things are actually better over a sustained period before going all in? It might save you some embarrassment down the line, although your posting history suggests you don't shy away from embarrassing yourself.

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 14:25 - Oct 15 with 738 viewsBluefish

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 14:17 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

Mate, you were giving it the big un after we humped a poor Donny side about how great everything was and how we'd clearly turned a corner. You then disappeared after the Accrington game. Perhaps wait until things are actually better over a sustained period before going all in? It might save you some embarrassment down the line, although your posting history suggests you don't shy away from embarrassing yourself.

Bit late to save that one from embarrassment. The stand out of the board

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 14:38 - Oct 15 with 705 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 10:29 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

A classic of that genre here

Just so I’m clear, for some... by Keaneish 11 Feb 2019 12:54
It's a local derby with passions running high and a manager going back to his former club with 39 points difference between the two. Your comparison to MM's last visit there is completely different.

For what its worth, i loved watching yesterday unfold. About time we had a bout of steel and desire throughout the club rather than apathy. Its great to see emotions over spilling as it means all staff are heavily invested. A far cry from having the Vs flicked up at us. If you're defending the latter as a means of conduct vs over spilling passion directed at the opposition rather than the fan base, what does that say about say about blinkered loyalty, which i assume was the whole sentiment behind the post?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 14:42 - Oct 15 with 690 viewsHerbivore

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 14:38 - Oct 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

A classic of that genre here

Just so I’m clear, for some... by Keaneish 11 Feb 2019 12:54
It's a local derby with passions running high and a manager going back to his former club with 39 points difference between the two. Your comparison to MM's last visit there is completely different.

For what its worth, i loved watching yesterday unfold. About time we had a bout of steel and desire throughout the club rather than apathy. Its great to see emotions over spilling as it means all staff are heavily invested. A far cry from having the Vs flicked up at us. If you're defending the latter as a means of conduct vs over spilling passion directed at the opposition rather than the fan base, what does that say about say about blinkered loyalty, which i assume was the whole sentiment behind the post?

Ha! That is gold.

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 15:20 - Oct 15 with 649 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 14:42 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

Ha! That is gold.

There’s a lot of gems looking back at that thread

Bonus points for guessing which poster came out with this one:
“One of Hurst's problems is that he was too like Mick in style. Whereas Jack Ross... sighs... now thats something to only dream of.“

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 08:36 - Oct 16 with 538 viewsWakh

Two styles clashing in a massive South Wales derby on 12:27 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

No, that isn't my aspiration, my aspiration is to be a Premier League side.

But when Mick left us we were in a position to kick on - we had a good squad with talent in there and it was a great opportunity for someone to take that on. But we badly failed and here we are.

But we are 14th in League 1 and losing more games than we win currently - this isn't my aspiration

Absolutely that second paragraph:

There was a good squad here at that time and Marcus was actively looking to sell. Most fans felt it was the right time for him to go but for the club it was the worst possible time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024