Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
60k Stadium 08:40 - Nov 9 with 6713 viewspennblue

In order for us to have a sustainable 'upper' Premier League club, we need a stadium full in the 50-60,000 region.

Therefore, if we grab Chelmsford, Newmarket, Lowestoft, Clacton, Felixstowe, Ipswich, Sudbury, Bury, Haverhill, Braintree, Bishops Stortford. Is it enough of a catchment area? Or are we going to have to start getting VERY good at getting people to the matches?

Or is this pie in the sky?

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

60k Stadium on 12:21 - Nov 9 with 1145 viewshoppy

60k Stadium on 12:05 - Nov 9 by IpswichKnight

The cobbold needs to be replaced in the next 5-10 years that would allow us to increase capacity to around 40k I really don’t think we need anything bigger. If we really wanted to be aggressive we could look to build a 5-10k stadium in the borough for the Ladies team and for league cup games where we know it will be low capacity.

They could offer to redevelop the stadium and clubhouse to work in partnership with their next door neighbours to the training ground, Ipswich Wanderers, to have a smaller venue available to use it for those purposes if they wanted to rather than going over to Felixstowe - I'm sure there would be interest were it to be suggested!!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

60k Stadium on 12:21 - Nov 9 with 1144 viewsKievthegreat

Obviously 60k is an absolute joke and non-starter.

However, if you were to redevelop the ground (especially the Cobbold), I'd look at a much bigger development, trying to get the land where the car park currently sits on the other side of Portman road and have that integrated into the ground. Bigger and better fan zone, facilities to be used when the football isn't on. Try and extract the most revenue by having non football streams of income. Making the Cobbold the main stand also let's you 'face the town' and you can make a statement building as an entrance.

Now we just need to wait 10+ years to build the playing side of the club into a Premier League team.
60k Stadium on 12:59 - Nov 9 with 1108 viewsSlambo

60k Stadium on 10:58 - Nov 9 by Fixed_It

Not really. They won't bring terraces back.

I've been chatting to the FSA about it. Terracing is completely permissible as long as as the club can demonstrate it's safe. The great, sweeping terraces of yesteryear wouldn't pass muster, but terracing like you have at Exeter, Burton, Peterborough etc is perfectly safe and could now be legally replicated elsewhere. You'd need to think about things like keeping the terrace open (not split into individual paddocks) and keeping the area enclosed so interlopers couldn't easily sneak in once in the ground, but otherwise, it's just a matter of time before you start seeing modified terrace sections coming back in...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

60k Stadium on 13:56 - Nov 9 with 1077 viewspennblue

60k Stadium on 09:54 - Nov 9 by Keno

Im expecting something like this, but with blue seats obviously ....

Funny you pick out that one - isn't that the one with a fantastic acoustics / atmosphere?

60k Stadium on 13:58 - Nov 9 with 1075 viewspennblue

60k Stadium on 09:40 - Nov 9 by Bluespeed225

I don’t know what world you live in, but in case you haven’t noticed, we are the filling in a Premier League train line sandwich. To get over 20k at the moment is nuts, but we’ll never need more than 35k tops. Spammers hoovered up Colchester downward years ago, and Norwich have done an excellent job in north Suffolk. IF we ever went up I’d happily see an over subscribed PR than a white elephant stand built.

Talking of the Spammers - it was them that made me think of it. I mean, they were only filling Upton Park to 30k on a good day 10 years ago.....

But in order to full 60k we would need to go deep into Norfolk, and I don't think any of us want that.....

60k Stadium on 14:04 - Nov 9 with 1066 viewsChurchman

60k Stadium on 12:00 - Nov 9 by HighgateBlue

It's pie in the sky to suggest we're going to have a 50,000 to 60,000 stadium under Gamechanger, yes. Absolutely no way.

Bigger than Goodison, bigger than Villa Park, bigger than Stamford Bridge? No.

I'm not sure that there /is/ such a thing as a sustainable upper Premier League club to be honest, but if a club wishes to try to become one, and it's current in League One and failing to beat struggling League 2 teams, it should focus first on getting out of League One, rather than building the Death Star.

Oh I don’t know. Building a Death Star is a great idea. Imagine Darth Vader managing the team and watching from the bench. A club that can blow up planets would give us a serious edge!
60k Stadium on 14:09 - Nov 9 with 1055 viewsBlueNomad

60k Stadium on 08:50 - Nov 9 by SitfcB

And Brentford, Norwich and Bournemouth (when they were in it)

And Brentford, Burnley and Palace
60k Stadium on 14:12 - Nov 9 with 1051 viewsBlueNomad

60k Stadium on 10:35 - Nov 9 by The_Major

Also, The problem we have with catchment area is that from Colchester southwards, as things stand, a lot of folk will gravitate towards the London clubs, as all they have to do is a quick jaunt down the A12 to Newbury Park within an hour, jump on the tube, and it's relatively easy to get to any of the grounds (Apart from Selhurst Park. There's still part of my sanity left on the South Circular when I went thirty years ago).

Then there's Lowestoft. Unfortunately Norwich is half the distance away, and again, easier to get to. It's always going to be a split there. However, westwards, all you have to contend with are Cambridge, Peterborough,, Stevenage at a push. There's no big club until you get to the Midlands.

And er, eastwards, you're competiting with Felixstowe, Woodbridge, and any team in Orford. And then things get a bit damp.

Eastwards you then have Ajax, Bruges and Feyenoord.
Login to get fewer ads

60k Stadium on 14:18 - Nov 9 with 1029 viewsitfcsuth

Even if we became a sustainable PL side, we wouldn't fill a 50-60k stadium.
60k Stadium on 14:19 - Nov 9 with 1028 viewsKeno

60k Stadium on 14:04 - Nov 9 by Churchman

Oh I don’t know. Building a Death Star is a great idea. Imagine Darth Vader managing the team and watching from the bench. A club that can blow up planets would give us a serious edge!

Just imagine Chewy as a centre half half!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

60k Stadium on 14:38 - Nov 9 with 988 viewspennblue

60k Stadium on 14:19 - Nov 9 by Keno

Wycombe are way ahead of us on the pre-match Star Wars theme!

60k Stadium on 14:46 - Nov 9 with 962 viewsChurchman

60k Stadium on 14:19 - Nov 9 by Keno

Players going to away games in the Millennium Falcon. Maybe two of them to keep up with Covid protocols.
60k Stadium on 15:01 - Nov 9 with 938 viewsElephantintheRoom

There is no such thing as a sustainable Premier League team.

In an era of global fan bases a capacity of zero would probably do quite well - i'd say our franchise owners see ore 'return' from USA -based fans than any in lil olde Englande

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

60k Stadium on 17:31 - Nov 9 with 842 viewsThe_Major

Talk of the Tottenham model by flattening everything and starting again is an intriguing thought (albeit highly unlikely) - the pitch could be turned east west (which I believe it was originally in days of yore), and have a massive western end to eliminate any sun issues. It would use a lot of the Cattle Market car park. If you have it so the centre line is over the current site of Portman Road itself, have a main entrance there, and voila, the top part of Portman Road turns into our own Wembley Way.

One teensy weensy little problem. When Spurs were building, they then used Wembley. Where exactly are we going to go? Ground share with Whitton? The Cobham Road recreation ground?
[Post edited 9 Nov 2021 17:32]
60k Stadium on 18:38 - Nov 9 with 794 viewsDeano69

As bonkers as the question/post is, heres 2018/201 averages

1 Manchester United 74,498
2 Arsenal 59,898
3 West Ham United 58,335
4 Tottenham Hotspur 54,216
5 Manchester City 54,128
6 Liverpool 53,050
7 Newcastle United 51,120
8 Chelsea 40,436
9 Everton 39,042
10 Leicester City 31,832
11 Cardiff City 31,407
12 Wolverhampton Wanderers 31,030
13 Brighton & Hove Albion 30,425
14 Southampton 30,212
15 Crystal Palace 25,440
16 Fulham 24,336
17 Huddersfield Town 23,340
18 Burnley 20,534
19 Watford 20,015
20 AFC Bournemouth 10,531

Here is 2021/22 so far
1 Manchester United 72,948
2 Arsenal 59,490
3 Tottenham Hotspur 57,885
4 West Ham United 56,583
5 Liverpool 52,847
6 Manchester City 52,427
7 Newcastle United 49,904
8 Aston Villa 41,944
9 Chelsea 39,537
10 Everton 38,867
11 Leeds United 36,405
12 Leicester City 32,030
13 Brighton & Hove Albion 30,761
14 Wolverhampton Wanderers 30,495
15 Southampton 29,831
16 Norwich City 26,894
17 Crystal Palace 23,766
18 Watford 20,535
19 Burnley 17,866
20 Brentford 16,725

I dont think we are looking at attacking the Champions League just yet so anything around 30,000 seems do able, 2002/03 and a couple years after we were hitting 25k or there abouts

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

60k Stadium on 19:22 - Nov 9 with 766 viewsbluebudgie

60k Stadium on 09:03 - Nov 9 by Churchman

Geographically, the potential catchment area is large and population wise the potential is far greater than clubs hemmed in by others such as Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley etc. However, the ground record stands at 38000 (I was there!) and I think the ground capacity needs to be no more than 35000.

To get near that we need to recapture the ‘lost generation’ or at least ensure the future generations are attracted which means doing things far far better than before in the ground and in that potential catchment area.

38010 and I was there too!!!
60k Stadium on 20:03 - Nov 9 with 704 viewsbrogansnose

Its worth considering that when we do sell out, ie Norwich, or even have larger crowds the Town grinds to a halt getting in and out. Add to that an awful train service with the one crossing the county and into Cambridgeshire one up and one down, three carriages and only goes to BSE after a weekday match. There's not enough decent parking either. In short, if we were to increase attendances then there would also have to be more input from the council and travel agencies.
60k Stadium on 20:55 - Nov 9 with 667 viewsHARRY10

More 'away with the fairies'than pie in the sky

Spurs new 62,000 stadium cost £850m. At a low 8% interest rate that would mean nearly £70million interest payments alone per year. Around half of our total PL income. Were the capital to be paid over 20 years that would add another £40m plus per year.

Those are rough figures, with plenty of variables to factor in which could change those figures, but by not much.

The problem here lies in the fact that there still are those who are totally clueless about how little ticket sales in the PL contribute to a clubs overall income.
60k Stadium on 21:03 - Nov 9 with 656 viewsbazza

60k Stadium on 08:44 - Nov 9 by Herbivore

What you smoking, bro?

Best response ever 🤣🤣
60k Stadium on 21:11 - Nov 9 with 643 viewspennblue

60k Stadium on 20:55 - Nov 9 by HARRY10

More 'away with the fairies'than pie in the sky

Spurs new 62,000 stadium cost £850m. At a low 8% interest rate that would mean nearly £70million interest payments alone per year. Around half of our total PL income. Were the capital to be paid over 20 years that would add another £40m plus per year.

Those are rough figures, with plenty of variables to factor in which could change those figures, but by not much.

The problem here lies in the fact that there still are those who are totally clueless about how little ticket sales in the PL contribute to a clubs overall income.

Well I was thinking we could also do a Salt Bae style 'meal deal' for a mere £650 per head. Not just ticket sales! tut!

60k Stadium on 21:11 - Nov 9 with 644 viewsbazza

There were some documents left
On a train to London apparently, top secret Ipswich
Town redevelopment plans… when they opened it, it said more stickers..for
The stands.
60k Stadium on 08:22 - Nov 10 with 539 viewsChurchman

60k Stadium on 19:22 - Nov 9 by bluebudgie

38010 and I was there too!!!

I hope you saw more than I did. I was wedged in with my dad and a foot stool in the lower section of the Cobbold stand and got a great view of backs of heads. It was a great atmosphere though, even if the teams did cancel each other out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024