Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... 11:14 - Nov 30 with 2798 viewsitfcjoe

....whilst I don't think we look great - I don't think things are a million miles away from clicking but we need some momentum and results this side of Christmas for Cook to have any hope in seeing that job through.

But does a good cup run alongside improved league form save the season somewhat?

We've got the squad to win the Papa Johns Trophy, and should be aiming to do so, it is a tinpot competition but I'd much rather win it, with all it entails at Wembley etc than not win it.

And we are plenty good enough to beat Barrow, and then take it one game at a time from there to try and get a decent run behind us.

The fans are on the verge of turning, you can feel it in the air at the ground, and when you speak to people after the last couple of games - we need to win some games whatever competition it is in to get people excited again - starting tomorrow.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 11:17 - Nov 30 with 2175 viewsportmanking

You don't think things are far from clicking yet you retweet comments saying "Cook isn't working".

Ho hum.
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 11:18 - Nov 30 with 2161 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Think if we win the next 2 with the core of the team playing could be really beneficial. And then followed by a big win at Charlton will stand us up nicely for the big games in packoutpr. Those crowds could really help us, or do the complete opposite!
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 11:25 - Nov 30 with 2107 viewsitfcsuth

I think between now and Christmas will determine the season.

Only Rotherham do I think we looked some way off the mark since our first win at Lincoln. We've lost games, especially at Sunderland & Plymouth, but we were not outplayed or dominated by any stretch of the imagination.

We've lost 4 of the last 14 league games, 2 against the top 2, 1 against Sunderland (other Acc. Stanley).

I agree we aren't miles away. We could beat any team between now and Christmas, but we really need consistency, something we haven't seen enough this season.

For both cup games:
Hladky
Vincent-Young - Woolfenden - Burgess - Penney
El Mizouni - Evans
Aluko - Barry - Edwards
Pigott
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 11:26]
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 11:25 - Nov 30 with 2104 viewsitfcjoe

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 11:17 - Nov 30 by portmanking

You don't think things are far from clicking yet you retweet comments saying "Cook isn't working".

Ho hum.

He isn't working, not far from clicking is my hope maybe more than expectation.

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 11:32 - Nov 30 with 2055 viewshomer_123

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 11:17 - Nov 30 by portmanking

Ho hum.

It's not difficult to hold the view that Cooks work here hasn't been that great and we are struggling, whilst wanting it to work and him do well.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 11:39 - Nov 30 with 2000 viewsElderGrizzly

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 11:32 - Nov 30 by homer_123

It's not difficult to hold the view that Cooks work here hasn't been that great and we are struggling, whilst wanting it to work and him do well.

Indeed.

A win is a win, but beating an Arsenal U21 team and Barrow doesn't cover up the fact that we were unable to get more than 4 points out of 15 in the 5 games that really mattered in November.
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 11:54 - Nov 30 with 1922 viewsitfcsuth

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 11:39 - Nov 30 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed.

A win is a win, but beating an Arsenal U21 team and Barrow doesn't cover up the fact that we were unable to get more than 4 points out of 15 in the 5 games that really mattered in November.

Agree. Whilst we would all like a cup run, especially the FA Cup, it would be of very consolidation if we do not have a strong December.

And given points return in November was not what we needed, December will define our season I feel, and we need a really strong one. A strong return will probably give us a chance at the play-offs going in to the second half of the season.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 11:55]
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:03 - Nov 30 with 1886 viewsChrisd

Without doubt Joe. A good cup run doesn’t do any harm to league form, if anything it can really boost it. Wins breed confidence and players want to play in the big games. In order to get selected they need to playing well and producing the goods and if that comes through the cup ties then so be it. Two cup wins this weeks would be terrific for all concerned and builds a little momentum after the Crewe win on Sunday.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:07 - Nov 30 with 1869 viewsIllinoisblue

A couple of cup wins would be very welcome but I don’t think beating arsenal youths and Barrow will ultimately mean anything if we lose to Charlton. Equally, getting to Wembley in the pizza cup would be kinda nice but if we finish 10th in the league it would be a hollow achievement.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:24 - Nov 30 with 1816 viewstractorboy1978

I think they are both far more important games than they might first look on paper. Cook really does not want to be losing to either of those at home given our struggles in the league and a building friction. I'll be really interested to see what sort of side play tomorrow night because if we see 7/8/9 changes it'll likely be a disjointed performance regardless of players selected.
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:34 - Nov 30 with 1762 viewsitfcjoe

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:07 - Nov 30 by Illinoisblue

A couple of cup wins would be very welcome but I don’t think beating arsenal youths and Barrow will ultimately mean anything if we lose to Charlton. Equally, getting to Wembley in the pizza cup would be kinda nice but if we finish 10th in the league it would be a hollow achievement.

The hope is that you win the next 2, some of those not playing are able to exert some real pressure on those starting and it leads to a win at Charlton and then a chance to kick on from there.

A couple of disjointed performances with results not being great then you go into Charlton absolutely flat as a pancake

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:41 - Nov 30 with 1728 viewsN2_Blue

Yes there is a chance and of course I hope it does.

However i feel that even if we beat Barrow and Ars U21 convincingly i don't have much confidence for the Charlton Wigan and Sunderland games.

I've just secured a ticket for Charlton and will be there just as I was at Wycombe so I of course live in hope and support the lads home and away

However i don't think PC is particularly close to getting this team to click yet. It could happen in December, i really hope it does but unfortunately I feel it's more unlikely it won't.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:43 - Nov 30 with 1721 viewsElderGrizzly

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:41 - Nov 30 by N2_Blue

Yes there is a chance and of course I hope it does.

However i feel that even if we beat Barrow and Ars U21 convincingly i don't have much confidence for the Charlton Wigan and Sunderland games.

I've just secured a ticket for Charlton and will be there just as I was at Wycombe so I of course live in hope and support the lads home and away

However i don't think PC is particularly close to getting this team to click yet. It could happen in December, i really hope it does but unfortunately I feel it's more unlikely it won't.

In September we were saying "looks like it might click in October", then in October "looks like it will click in November" etc

Then come January, he'll not doubt get backed again with new players and we'll be back to "need time for new players to gel"
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:45 - Nov 30 with 1712 viewsChurchman

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 11:39 - Nov 30 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed.

It was 7 from 15, 4 games of which were against this rubbish league’s better sides. Still not enough for me. The bare minimum requirement given our start was 10 points so still disappointing.

Cup games give players games and can help momentum. Managers here have ignored cup matches for years, yet I cannot think of a single occasion where that benefitted us. It’s annoyed the heck out of me.

If we beat Barrow, how nice would it be to get a home draw against a decent PL side?
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:50 - Nov 30 with 1661 viewsN2_Blue

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:43 - Nov 30 by ElderGrizzly

In September we were saying "looks like it might click in October", then in October "looks like it will click in November" etc

Then come January, he'll not doubt get backed again with new players and we'll be back to "need time for new players to gel"

Hence why i don't see it happening.

Personally I'd change the manager but it seems clear it's not going to happen so we are stuck with it.

However collect less than 10 points from the next 18 and surely the owners will take action.

I expect we need a minimum 12 from 18 to not lose further ground. Only accumulating more than 12 will see us make up ground

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Could do, of course alternatively.... on 12:54 - Nov 30 with 1642 viewsBloots

....we could be out of all three "competitions" within 3 games.

I'm thinking of buying a bedsheet in preparation.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:57 - Nov 30 with 1616 viewshomer_123

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:34 - Nov 30 by itfcjoe

The hope is that you win the next 2, some of those not playing are able to exert some real pressure on those starting and it leads to a win at Charlton and then a chance to kick on from there.

A couple of disjointed performances with results not being great then you go into Charlton absolutely flat as a pancake

That last sentence describes Ipswich rather well.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Could do, of course alternatively.... on 12:58 - Nov 30 with 1610 viewsitfcjoe

Could do, of course alternatively.... on 12:54 - Nov 30 by Bloots

....we could be out of all three "competitions" within 3 games.

I'm thinking of buying a bedsheet in preparation.

Shame you've missed the Black Friday sales

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 13:06 - Nov 30 with 1551 viewshoppy

I'd take wins in any competition we're in, personally. Winning breeds a winning mentality.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 13:25 - Nov 30 with 1465 viewsElderGrizzly

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:45 - Nov 30 by Churchman

It was 7 from 15, 4 games of which were against this rubbish league’s better sides. Still not enough for me. The bare minimum requirement given our start was 10 points so still disappointing.

Cup games give players games and can help momentum. Managers here have ignored cup matches for years, yet I cannot think of a single occasion where that benefitted us. It’s annoyed the heck out of me.

If we beat Barrow, how nice would it be to get a home draw against a decent PL side?

It was 4 from 15 for the 'big 5 games' which is what I was referring to.

Plymouth, Wycombe, Oxford, Sunderland, Rotherham
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 13:27]
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 13:32 - Nov 30 with 1431 viewsChurchman

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 13:25 - Nov 30 by ElderGrizzly

It was 4 from 15 for the 'big 5 games' which is what I was referring to.

Plymouth, Wycombe, Oxford, Sunderland, Rotherham
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 13:27]

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Plymouth being 30 Oct confused my little brain.
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 13:34 - Nov 30 with 1426 viewsElderGrizzly

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 13:32 - Nov 30 by Churchman

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Plymouth being 30 Oct confused my little brain.

Realised I said November, so we are both confused and correct in our own heads :)

It's not good enough is the only thing that matters though sadly
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 13:38 - Nov 30 with 1412 viewsVaughan8

Agree with what was said above, no point wining these 2 games then losing our next league game but I get what you mean, build some confidence up.

The Pizza cup I really couldn't give a hoot about. Its good to give our fringe/reserves a run out, but bar that, I couldn't care less.

I think this month is vital as people have said because if we want to change the manager, lets hope it's done before Christmas, so anyone new has a few games before the transfer window opens etc.
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 13:38 - Nov 30 with 1405 viewsChurchman

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 13:34 - Nov 30 by ElderGrizzly

Realised I said November, so we are both confused and correct in our own heads :)

It's not good enough is the only thing that matters though sadly

You are absolutely right on both counts. Agreed, 4 points from five key games is not good enough and very disappointing.
Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 18:39 - Nov 30 with 1237 viewsistanblue

Is there a chance a Cup run could fire up our season.... on 12:43 - Nov 30 by ElderGrizzly

Spot on. The happy-clappers and Cook cultists keep changing the goalposts. Just look at how expectations have been greatly diminished since the start of the season: top 2 became top 6, top 6 became challenging for top 6, challenging for top 6 became ''it's a transition season'' etc.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024