Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Manager - Is It Just Me 20:39 - Dec 5 with 4214 viewsOsborneOneNil

..who’s a bit ‘meh’ about it all. It’s normally quite an exciting time, see who our next great hope is, but I’m failing to get moved by it at all.

I kinda think that if Paul Cook, who I wanted here for 2 years, couldn’t do it (or wasn’t given the time to) then who on Earth can/will.

Maybe I’m just worn out with the Town saga….years of false dawns and false hope.
New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:16 - Dec 5 with 1160 viewsN2_Blue

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 21:34 - Dec 5 by Churchman

It is a most peculiar environment. I haven’t been on it for a very long time and you are right. Avoid for well being!

I did exactly the same. That FB group is a car crash.

I'm not really fussed who the manager is. Hopefully a good character and someone that fits into Ashtons plans and will therefore be happy to do his job and if means not being in charge of player recruitment just gets on with it.

I still maintain most managers should be able to win more games than they don't with this squad at this level and that's i was really shocked at how bad Cook's record was over 40+ games.

A manager who has showed some element of success with more than one playing style/formation would be be preferable i think. Cook's stubborness was definitely as issue.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:20 - Dec 5 with 1143 viewsitfcsuth

It’s a dreadful list, it really is.

And hearing names like Lee Johnson & Michael Appleton don’t excite me or fill me with confidence one bit.
New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:21 - Dec 5 with 1141 viewsitfcjoe

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:15 - Dec 5 by unstableblue

Joe - Perhaps you could explain the big footballing structure to me, as I am really struggling to see when and where a clear management system has been put in place that means that we only need a head coach?

If Andy Rolls and Ashton are forming a joint technical/footballing director role, then that’s not been very well communicated.

Andy Rolls head of performance and Gary Probert is effectively director of football when you see what his responsibilities are - academy, recruitment, loans, etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:25 - Dec 5 with 1124 viewsOsborneOneNil

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:20 - Dec 5 by itfcsuth

And hearing names like Lee Johnson & Michael Appleton don’t excite me or fill me with confidence one bit.

The list almost makes you want to cry. Frightening.

Think I’d actually prefer someone I’ve never heard of, maybe a German who’s been doing well in some European league somewhere.

Who knows 🤷‍♂️
New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:25 - Dec 5 with 1122 viewsmonty_radio

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 20:55 - Dec 5 by Churchman

When McCarthy went, the choice was Ross or Hurst. Both highly regarded. What was not to like. When Hurst went, nobody seemed available so we got lumbered Lambert. After Lambert, Cook was the standout choice. What have we now? A load of old has beens, people that will no more come here than fly to Mars and two or three ‘names’ who’ve never done anything in the management game.

All we seem to be left with is McGreal. I hope Ashton, O’Leary know what they’re doing.

But bear in mind that these lists are a reflection of punters giving bookies money and not from the inner sanctum of the Gamechanger conference room. So far they've played a big hand so it seems unlikely to me that their selection for such a pivotal post would comprise just Wannabees, Has Beens and Never-will-Bees.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 22:33]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:29 - Dec 5 with 1110 viewsitfcsuth

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:25 - Dec 5 by OsborneOneNil

Think I’d actually prefer someone I’ve never heard of, maybe a German who’s been doing well in some European league somewhere.

Who knows 🤷‍♂️

This is why I largely thought it was probably too soon to pull the trigger.

I’d have much rather we’d have gone with Paul Cook going in to December - a defining month, rather than a temp manager or 99% of names I am seeing being speculated for the job.
New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:36 - Dec 5 with 1092 viewsRomeo4

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:29 - Dec 5 by itfcsuth

This is why I largely thought it was probably too soon to pull the trigger.

I’d have much rather we’d have gone with Paul Cook going in to December - a defining month, rather than a temp manager or 99% of names I am seeing being speculated for the job.

I agree with you. I think we may have abandoned the Cook regime a bit too soon. We’ll have to wait and see what the owners/CEO do next but can’t say I’m inspired by any of the names being banded around so far. Let’s hope they get it right.
New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:59 - Dec 5 with 1066 viewsunstableblue

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:21 - Dec 5 by itfcjoe

Andy Rolls head of performance and Gary Probert is effectively director of football when you see what his responsibilities are - academy, recruitment, loans, etc

Have I missed a press release or an interview with Ashton or Probert?

Has there been a statement to say he is responsible for recruitment and loans?

It was stated that he was: “The development of emerging talent within the Club’s Academy setup.”

And “ "The role will help support Lee O’Neill and the Academy, and help that transition from playing in the Academy to senior football”

If he was acting as a Director of Football, should fans not be aware.

And how attractive is that set up and these individuals to new managers? As if it is a Head Coach role as Phil states, then it’s a whole new ball game.

Something doesn’t smell right here.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:06 - Dec 5 with 1053 viewsunstableblue

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:20 - Dec 5 by itfcsuth

It’s a poor list apart from Liam Manning

I rated Appleton and wanted him here, but he doesn’t seem to have kicked on

But Liam was targeted and hired by a clear sporting director (supporter by a performance director)… and does he really want to work for a guy who is apparently our footballing director even that hasn’t been clearly stated
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 23:17]

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:07 - Dec 5 with 1058 viewsitfcjoe

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:59 - Dec 5 by unstableblue

It was stated that he was: “The development of emerging talent within the Club’s Academy setup.”

And “ "The role will help support Lee O’Neill and the Academy, and help that transition from playing in the Academy to senior football”

And how attractive is that set up and these individuals to new managers? As if it is a Head Coach role as Phil states, then it’s a whole new ball game.

“Gary, who officially joins on 1 November, will head up the Club’s recruitment, Academy, analysis, U23s and loans programme.“

From club website when he was appointed

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:20 - Dec 5 with 1010 viewsunstableblue

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:07 - Dec 5 by itfcjoe

“Gary, who officially joins on 1 November, will head up the Club’s recruitment, Academy, analysis, U23s and loans programme.“

From club website when he was appointed

Thanks

I thought it was academy recruitment

So Director of Football Operations = Technical/Footballing Director

Hope this come across as much clearer to any new candidate head coach…. But certainly we are fishing in a smaller pond if this is indeed the set-up

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:24 - Dec 5 with 1002 viewsbluestandard

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:25 - Dec 5 by OsborneOneNil

Who knows 🤷‍♂️

Totally agree. If I’ve heard of our new manager before, I suspect that I’ll be very disappointed.
New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:26 - Dec 5 with 984 viewsDarth_Koont

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 21:12 - Dec 5 by pointofblue

Agreed. Are we really is a position, with this squad, that we think no one can do as 'well' as Cook?

No. But I think Cook could have done better with this squad himself.

Whoever comes in probably needs a bit of luck too. Without that intangible mix of confidence, momentum and the resulting run of results then any play-off challenge becomes a tough and uphill slog.

Pronouns: He/Him

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:29 - Dec 5 with 967 viewsitfcsuth

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:36 - Dec 5 by Romeo4

I agree with you. I think we may have abandoned the Cook regime a bit too soon. We’ll have to wait and see what the owners/CEO do next but can’t say I’m inspired by any of the names being banded around so far. Let’s hope they get it right.

I hope they have there plan lined up and in place.

Don’t want a Man Utd scenario where you write of the season, bring in an interim interim, then bring in an interim, then bring in a permanent in the summer, all because there was no plans in place.

I did ask the question earlier, but who is in charge on Tuesday, that is a massive game for us, we are taking a huge following, but I genuinely don’t know who is in charge?
New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:32 - Dec 5 with 953 viewspointofblue

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:26 - Dec 5 by Darth_Koont

No. But I think Cook could have done better with this squad himself.

Whoever comes in probably needs a bit of luck too. Without that intangible mix of confidence, momentum and the resulting run of results then any play-off challenge becomes a tough and uphill slog.

He could have but showed no signs of doing so.

In all honesty I would have given him Charlton and Wigan, seeing where we were after that. But we were showing no signs of sustained progress so how much hope did we have we'd really get anything out of the next two away games? And, even if we somehow walloped one of them previous evidence suggests we wouldn't build on this.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:37 - Dec 5 with 934 viewsDarth_Koont

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:32 - Dec 5 by pointofblue

He could have but showed no signs of doing so.

In all honesty I would have given him Charlton and Wigan, seeing where we were after that. But we were showing no signs of sustained progress so how much hope did we have we'd really get anything out of the next two away games? And, even if we somehow walloped one of them previous evidence suggests we wouldn't build on this.

There were signs but the inconsistency was a big problem and then we stopped taking opportunities over the last handful of games so even the generally better results fell away too.

What’s the expectation for the new manager? I’d just give him the season unless we start slipping back.

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:40 - Dec 5 with 923 viewsSomethingBlue

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 22:59 - Dec 5 by unstableblue

Probert did a fairly long video interview on club channels where this stuff was explained.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:42 - Dec 5 with 912 viewspointofblue

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:37 - Dec 5 by Darth_Koont

There were signs but the inconsistency was a big problem and then we stopped taking opportunities over the last handful of games so even the generally better results fell away too.

What’s the expectation for the new manager? I’d just give him the season unless we start slipping back.

I said yesterday, we're seven points off the Dons though they and Sunderland have a game in hand. Plymouth are nine ahead of us. If that gap grows under the new manager they'll be under pressure.

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:54 - Dec 5 with 892 viewsDarth_Koont

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:42 - Dec 5 by pointofblue

I said yesterday, we're seven points off the Dons though they and Sunderland have a game in hand. Plymouth are nine ahead of us. If that gap grows under the new manager they'll be under pressure.

Which would be insane. We’ve had a disappointing start to the season and are handicapped by it. No real reason to demand we should keep up with sides ahead that have had the benefit of more consistent performances and better runs of results already.

If we came to the conclusion Cook wasn’t worth more patience then that’s fair enough. But expecting a manager to hit the ground running in a club and squad that’s still finding its feet doesn’t seem like a great idea. If we throw a double six and get the right man and a new manager boost then great but I really hope we have a bit more realism about us than to expect it.

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:56 - Dec 5 with 887 viewspointofblue

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:54 - Dec 5 by Darth_Koont

Which would be insane. We’ve had a disappointing start to the season and are handicapped by it. No real reason to demand we should keep up with sides ahead that have had the benefit of more consistent performances and better runs of results already.

If we came to the conclusion Cook wasn’t worth more patience then that’s fair enough. But expecting a manager to hit the ground running in a club and squad that’s still finding its feet doesn’t seem like a great idea. If we throw a double six and get the right man and a new manager boost then great but I really hope we have a bit more realism about us than to expect it.

Plus there will probably be more changes made to the squad in January and how much will the new manager have in those? I'm having my doubts how many signings Cook wanted and how many were instigated by Ashton and, to a lesser extent, O'Leary over the summer.

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:57 - Dec 5 with 886 viewsRomeo4

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:29 - Dec 5 by itfcsuth

I hope they have there plan lined up and in place.

Don’t want a Man Utd scenario where you write of the season, bring in an interim interim, then bring in an interim, then bring in a permanent in the summer, all because there was no plans in place.

I did ask the question earlier, but who is in charge on Tuesday, that is a massive game for us, we are taking a huge following, but I genuinely don’t know who is in charge?

If we’ve sacked him without a plan as to what the next move is I’d be very surprised and disappointed. I expect Ashton will announce tomorrow who’s leading the team into Charlton and will hopefully set our minds at rest that they are in control of this and we’re not going to be left without a full time head coach for long.
New Manager - Is It Just Me on 00:02 - Dec 6 with 867 viewspatrickswell

I think the meh-ness is understandable. Take out McCarthy’s imperial phase and the first two months of the 19/20 season under Lambert and every manager who has come here since Keane has basically spent their reigns firefighting fires that several of them made themselves.

Forget “progressive”, I’d settle for competent.
New Manager - Is It Just Me on 00:08 - Dec 6 with 859 viewsDarth_Koont

New Manager - Is It Just Me on 23:56 - Dec 5 by pointofblue

Plus there will probably be more changes made to the squad in January and how much will the new manager have in those? I'm having my doubts how many signings Cook wanted and how many were instigated by Ashton and, to a lesser extent, O'Leary over the summer.

In one sense, maybe things are a lot clearer now. It’s the new regime’s club and they’re fully responsible. And they’re choosing a manager to fit into their set-up rather than the compromise that perhaps takes place when they inherited a manager.

On that score, I’d expect the new manager to be given more time or it’s an admission of their own failure.

But I’m quietly confident that this team can hit a groove and stay in it for a run of games this season. That should be enough to see us have at least a sniff of the play-offs in March and April.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024