Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now 16:38 - Dec 6 with 6453 viewsnodge_blue

I know the results have been disappointing. But some, stressing some, of the performances have been a big improvement over recent years. I think the recruitment wasn’t quite right over the summer and that’s bound to be the case when recruiting so many. But with a couple of tweaks in the next window I was hopeful we would pick up. I’d have taken top 10 this year and push next.

Cook came across as a decent guy and clearly the players liked him and indeed many came because of him. Think American owners who are distant and let’s face it not exactly football experts have made a decision based on points return only. I seriously doubt they have a target / plan in mind.

It’s a pointless debate now as he’s gone. But I will be hugely surprised if we now kick on to get promoted this year. I think we will probably be very underwhelmed with who gets appointed as well. Followed by another mini clear out.

Just my view. And who cares really. I would agree that cook and the players have disappointed to date.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:49 - Dec 6 with 1090 viewspositivity

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:47 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

As I've said elsewhere, players and teams have a ceiling and good managers get them performing at that ceiling. Similarly, I think players and sides have a floor, and Cook had us performing at that floor. I don't see the new manager doing worse than Cook.

let's hope so, eh!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:51 - Dec 6 with 1079 viewsmrshallisfit

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:16 - Dec 6 by pennblue

I would agree in the short term, it is hard to see the players turning up tomorrow night under Cook. But I think to suggest there is no evidence of him being able to get it right is just not right. He has a track record of success, and it is usually in the 2nd half of seasons until he gets the team firing on all cylinders.

I can understand why its happened though, the American peeps are coming on in literally 12 days time, and the short term direction did not look good.

But the reality is, we are not good enough yet, the players are not good enough, not up for it enough, maybe we need a couple more of the right characters, not sure, but the only thing that can sort that out is a January transfer window.

And one or two suspect characters (Morsy) chucked out.
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:51 - Dec 6 with 1068 viewsHerbivore

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:49 - Dec 6 by positivity

let's hope so, eh!

If you were announced as our new manager, I'd back you to do no worse than Cook with this squad of players.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 19:05 - Dec 6 with 1044 viewsDarth_Koont

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:51 - Dec 6 by mrshallisfit

Are we blaming individual players now?

Bad enough that the manager gets it in the neck for collective problems that weren’t exactly unexpected with all the changes being made. But singling out a player? Especially Morsy!??

Come on, man. This isn’t about bad people here and good people there, it’s about nuance and margins throughout.

Pronouns: He/Him

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 19:08 - Dec 6 with 1043 viewsWacko

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:24 - Dec 6 by LeoMuff

What a load of sh1t, had success everywhere apart from here, turned into a Dino in 6 months ? Give over.

Funny how every player and manager currently and previously has only good to say.

It's been 18 months since he had any success. Teams have found him out. If you don't believe me look at the league table.

And also have a look at what his mate did at Wigan:

https://threeamigoswigan.com/tag/leam-richardson/

"Leam Richardson too is popular with Latics fans. He worked wonders in helping the club avoid relegation last season and his newly assembled squad, with 15 new signings, has made an impressive start to the season. But three midweek home defeats, with the players looking “flat” had led to questions about whether he was too set in his ways, rigidly sticking to his favoured 4-2-3-1 system, not rotating his squad sufficiently to keep players fresh, making substitutions too late in the game, as fixture were piling-up.

Richardson took a major step forward in the Burton Albion game on Saturday when he brought in Curtis Tilt and Stephen Humphrys and gave a League 1 debut to Jason Kerr. Fan concerns about the depth of quality of the squad soon diminished as all three players made fine contributions.

But the real surprise was a switch away from 4-2-3-1 to a 3-4-1-2 formation. Kerr was employed as a right centre back, a role in which he enjoyed great success in St Johnstone’s run to win both the Scottish Cup and the Scottish League Cup last season. Jack Whatmough looked very comfortable in the centre of the back three, with the experienced Tilt to his left. Max Power played a deep midfield role with Tom Bayliss more advanced. James McClean looked so at home at left wing back, a position he occupies for the Republic of Ireland. Tendayi Darikwa looked so much better back on the right- hand side and was afforded more freedom in the wing back role. The new formation allowed Richardson to play twin strikers in Humphrys and Charlie Wyke. Humphrys is a talented player who has spent too much time on the bench with only one central striker being employed in 4-2-3-1. Will Keane has looked somewhat jaded in recent games. The return of Thelo Aasgaard from injury will provide Richardson with a back-up in that number 10/creative central midfield role."

Since that Burton match, he's won every game where he's played 3 at the back (including Plymouth away), with mixed results with his 4-2-3-1 formation. This clearly shows an understanding that what worked in the past might not work any longer.

PC never showed that. So please don't dismiss valid analysis as sh1t. If you have some decent counter arguments other than 'every player and manager says he's great', then go ahead. If not, then it's probably best if you give discussing football tactics a rest and enjoy the rest of your evening.

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 19:14 - Dec 6 with 1018 viewsDarth_Koont

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 19:08 - Dec 6 by Wacko

It's been 18 months since he had any success. Teams have found him out. If you don't believe me look at the league table.

And also have a look at what his mate did at Wigan:

https://threeamigoswigan.com/tag/leam-richardson/

"Leam Richardson too is popular with Latics fans. He worked wonders in helping the club avoid relegation last season and his newly assembled squad, with 15 new signings, has made an impressive start to the season. But three midweek home defeats, with the players looking “flat” had led to questions about whether he was too set in his ways, rigidly sticking to his favoured 4-2-3-1 system, not rotating his squad sufficiently to keep players fresh, making substitutions too late in the game, as fixture were piling-up.

Richardson took a major step forward in the Burton Albion game on Saturday when he brought in Curtis Tilt and Stephen Humphrys and gave a League 1 debut to Jason Kerr. Fan concerns about the depth of quality of the squad soon diminished as all three players made fine contributions.

But the real surprise was a switch away from 4-2-3-1 to a 3-4-1-2 formation. Kerr was employed as a right centre back, a role in which he enjoyed great success in St Johnstone’s run to win both the Scottish Cup and the Scottish League Cup last season. Jack Whatmough looked very comfortable in the centre of the back three, with the experienced Tilt to his left. Max Power played a deep midfield role with Tom Bayliss more advanced. James McClean looked so at home at left wing back, a position he occupies for the Republic of Ireland. Tendayi Darikwa looked so much better back on the right- hand side and was afforded more freedom in the wing back role. The new formation allowed Richardson to play twin strikers in Humphrys and Charlie Wyke. Humphrys is a talented player who has spent too much time on the bench with only one central striker being employed in 4-2-3-1. Will Keane has looked somewhat jaded in recent games. The return of Thelo Aasgaard from injury will provide Richardson with a back-up in that number 10/creative central midfield role."

Since that Burton match, he's won every game where he's played 3 at the back (including Plymouth away), with mixed results with his 4-2-3-1 formation. This clearly shows an understanding that what worked in the past might not work any longer.

PC never showed that. So please don't dismiss valid analysis as sh1t. If you have some decent counter arguments other than 'every player and manager says he's great', then go ahead. If not, then it's probably best if you give discussing football tactics a rest and enjoy the rest of your evening.

TLDR

You overplayed your hand there. And the post you’re attacking makes a completely valid point. Cook wasn’t “found out” at Ipswich, it just didn’t work out.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 19:16 - Dec 6 with 1002 viewsfooters

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:51 - Dec 6 by mrshallisfit

Out of interest, why is Morsy a 'suspect character'? Genuinely interested to know.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 19:21 - Dec 6 with 976 viewsWacko

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 19:14 - Dec 6 by Darth_Koont

TLDR

You overplayed your hand there. And the post you’re attacking makes a completely valid point. Cook wasn’t “found out” at Ipswich, it just didn’t work out.

Therein lies the problem. If you think regularly losing matches and performing poorly is simply down to 'not working out', then why not just employ any old sod and hope for the best? It's because football isn't the sporting equivalent of astrology.

Hope this was short enough for you!

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Login to get fewer ads

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 19:24 - Dec 6 with 962 viewsDarth_Koont

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 19:21 - Dec 6 by Wacko

Therein lies the problem. If you think regularly losing matches and performing poorly is simply down to 'not working out', then why not just employ any old sod and hope for the best? It's because football isn't the sporting equivalent of astrology.

Hope this was short enough for you!

No.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 20:03 - Dec 6 with 907 viewsbillythefish

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:52 - Dec 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

Cooks biggest winning run was 2 matches.

He managed that once in 44 games.

He just had to go, there was no way he was going to turn this team around. I just hope McGreal is more of a tactician than his last 5 predecessors. We must have the ability to change the system to counteract our opponents.
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 22:54 - Dec 6 with 825 viewspositivity

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:51 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

If you were announced as our new manager, I'd back you to do no worse than Cook with this squad of players.

your vote of confidence is appreciated, but ashton's not returned my call... yet

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:05 - Dec 6 with 800 viewsDarth_Koont

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 20:03 - Dec 6 by billythefish

He just had to go, there was no way he was going to turn this team around. I just hope McGreal is more of a tactician than his last 5 predecessors. We must have the ability to change the system to counteract our opponents.

I think McGreal is a systems/process man.

By the way, I read “We must have the ability to change the system to counteract our opponents!” as a war cry. Can I borrow it?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:13 - Dec 6 with 793 viewspositivity

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:05 - Dec 6 by Darth_Koont

I think McGreal is a systems/process man.

By the way, I read “We must have the ability to change the system to counteract our opponents!” as a war cry. Can I borrow it?

“We must have the ability to change the system to counteract our opponents, comrades!” sounds better!

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:17 - Dec 6 with 786 viewswkj

I don't think Cook could have stayed on any longer. We even had a crap preseason which I voiced my concern over. I know preseason games are pointless, but what wasn't pointless was the fact we didn't look ready for the season at all.

Cook is a good manager and will do really well in the future. However, as we learned with Hurst and Cook- you have to have a lot of walk to your talk of you're going to overhaul a team in a single transfer window.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 23:18]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:22 - Dec 6 with 782 viewspositivity

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:17 - Dec 6 by wkj

I don't think Cook could have stayed on any longer. We even had a crap preseason which I voiced my concern over. I know preseason games are pointless, but what wasn't pointless was the fact we didn't look ready for the season at all.

Cook is a good manager and will do really well in the future. However, as we learned with Hurst and Cook- you have to have a lot of walk to your talk of you're going to overhaul a team in a single transfer window.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 23:18]

we made the signings too late. how many of the 19 had a decent pre-season?

the spine of the team (walton/edmundson/morsy/chaplin) weren't ready to go until well after the season had started

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:28 - Dec 6 with 772 viewswkj

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:22 - Dec 6 by positivity

we made the signings too late. how many of the 19 had a decent pre-season?

the spine of the team (walton/edmundson/morsy/chaplin) weren't ready to go until well after the season had started

I think we made the signings too late, and in the wrong order. We should have worked from the defence up to the attack. Considering we started with only Kenlock on the left, and Chambers and Wilson were out of the door. Although I can't stand him, we did have Norwood, Jackson and even Drinan who could have held the attack over the preseason, even into the season proper looking at how well Drinan has kicked on this season.

Crybaby

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:31 - Dec 6 with 768 viewspositivity

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:28 - Dec 6 by wkj

I think we made the signings too late, and in the wrong order. We should have worked from the defence up to the attack. Considering we started with only Kenlock on the left, and Chambers and Wilson were out of the door. Although I can't stand him, we did have Norwood, Jackson and even Drinan who could have held the attack over the preseason, even into the season proper looking at how well Drinan has kicked on this season.

bradley was a real sliding doors moment.

don't know if it was ever really on, but that statement early on could have made a massive difference

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:36 - Dec 6 with 763 viewswkj

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:31 - Dec 6 by positivity

don't know if it was ever really on, but that statement early on could have made a massive difference

I think you're right there. I still don't know why Wilson left either, he's much better than the whole back line, sans Edmunson. Yes, he had injury problems, but that hasn't stooped us continuing to pay the wages of Nolan and Coulson.

Crybaby

And Keifer Moore doesn't play for Barnsley (n/t) on 23:39 - Dec 6 with 760 viewswkj

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:31 - Dec 6 by positivity

[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 23:40]

Crybaby

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 23:47 - Dec 6 with 756 viewsSwansea_Blue

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:44 - Dec 6 by nodge_blue

It feels pretty flat to me. I thing McGreal will have a huge job to lift them before the game. It’s not like when players are just preying for a manager to go.

Which is why it’s ok that he’s gone. It suddenly looked like he’d lost the team and sounded like he’d lost his way, with a few odd and out of character things he’d said lately. I’m surprised at how quickly it turned, but then we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 23:55 - Dec 6 with 750 viewsitfcasual

Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 18:39 - Dec 6 by Darth_Koont

Surely Cook knows his system inside out though? He can’t be both too wedded to it and at the same time not know what it looks like when it’s working badly.

FWIW I thought Donacien with either Burns or Aluko ahead have been fine. Left-side we’ve generally not had enough presence in defence or attack and that’s been the real problem. Coulson has been a miss, no-one else has really stepped up instead (like Donacien on the right anyway) and then no-one’s particularly made a case for themselves on the left side of the three just to compound it.

That imbalance then leads to other areas of the team having to compensate. Particularly the second CM alongside Morsy and the Number 10 who probably have the most flexible and trickiest roles during a game. But they should be looking to get forward not cover.

Our best performance came when we played with balance never mind who was playing. But we’ve never had the same consistency and confidence on the left and it’s cost us.

We have been poor down the left. Coulson looks too lightweight. Clements isn't yet ready and his team mates don't pass to him! Penney works hard but struggles to get up and down the pitch for a full 90 and gets defensively ragged in the last third of games...

Its a tough position to play in a formation reliant on overlapping fullbacks.

I'm surprised that KVY hasn't featured more but he isn't back to the player he was before injury yet.

Opposing managers seem to have got Bonne's number now and he has been less effective recently.

It was obvious after half an hour against Rotherham that the system, direct ball to Chaplin, wasn't going to work when he was being closely marked by CBs a foot taller than him and Cook either didn't see that or did but had nothing else in his locker.

I was getting to like Paul Cook despite his appalling win ratio. I guess things have improved in that we now sack managers before their team starts winning. Personally I am uninspired by the thought of poaching another League One manager. I hope that the owners do have a plan that is more than a knee jerk reaction in advance of their triumphal procession to Ipswich.

I'm not sure that we have done anything more than replace a squad of ageing League Two players with a mid table League One squad. Sure we've got a couple of stand out players but one belongs to QPR and the other to Dijon. I can't really get excited by any of our permanent signings. Wes Burns is alright but hardly a Championship player plying his trade in League One for the good of the club....

Cook didn't have much of a choice other than to completely clear out but I'm not sure that he replaced the old squad with the quality that some believe he did. I'm not sure that most of the new players are actually that good...

Let's hope there is a rabbit in that big ol' American hat.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2021 0:07]
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 01:07 - Dec 7 with 714 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:15 - Dec 6 by Weekender

The Wycombe game and Pompey games looked great on paper and included some good football but they weren't as clear cut as the scores suggest. Pompey was an even scrappy game until the GK error. Then there was a second GK error for the 3rd Goal. At Wycombe we were under the cosh and loosing before the GK error for the equaliser. And at 3-1 we were hanging on for a spell before another GK error.

Deserved those wins but wasn't once sided in either game.

Most of our games have been split by errors- our end or theirs! We usually crack 1st!
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 06:01 - Dec 7 with 676 viewssolomon

Think most of us, if we are honest, accepted that automatic promotion and the chance of the play offs have been realistically over for a while now. Bringing in a new manager is resetting the needle to zero somewhat but Cook showed little evidence he was likely to deliver next season either, football is a results business and the club had nothing to lose in rolling the dice again, we’ve just got to find that winning formula.
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 06:28 - Dec 7 with 657 viewsblueboyd

the football was dross... llike having a nice shiny ferrari with a ford fiesta engine in it.... Stop the cook love in.
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 06:48 - Dec 7 with 644 viewsSawtrich

I'm really surprised at the amount of support for Cook. The last few performances it has looked to me as if the team and the crowd had completely lost faith and there was no belief that what we were doing was going to work. We looked aimless, drifting along, resigned to our fate.
So, the question is who is the replacement and can they do better? Given how aggressive we've been in player recruitment it makes perfect sense that we'll do the same with manager recruitment. I don't think McGreal is anything but a short term appointment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024