Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now 16:38 - Dec 6 with 6447 viewsnodge_blue

I know the results have been disappointing. But some, stressing some, of the performances have been a big improvement over recent years. I think the recruitment wasn’t quite right over the summer and that’s bound to be the case when recruiting so many. But with a couple of tweaks in the next window I was hopeful we would pick up. I’d have taken top 10 this year and push next.

Cook came across as a decent guy and clearly the players liked him and indeed many came because of him. Think American owners who are distant and let’s face it not exactly football experts have made a decision based on points return only. I seriously doubt they have a target / plan in mind.

It’s a pointless debate now as he’s gone. But I will be hugely surprised if we now kick on to get promoted this year. I think we will probably be very underwhelmed with who gets appointed as well. Followed by another mini clear out.

Just my view. And who cares really. I would agree that cook and the players have disappointed to date.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:42 - Dec 6 with 1024 viewsclive_baker

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:29 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

Based on what Ashton has said today I'm not getting the vibe that McGreal has much of a chance of getting the job on a permanent basis. As caretakers go he's pretty good, given he has actual managerial experience.

I hope you're right.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:43 - Dec 6 with 1022 viewsfooters

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:40 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

Well I'd say blaming the manager is better than blaming the fans, who really don't have any input into our performances.

Have to disagree with pretty much all of your post to be honest. The performances have regressed of late and the genuinely good performances have been the exception. I don't see how that can act as evidence that it is likely to come good when those performances are so few and far between.

And our squad is ridiculous for this level of football, I really can't comprehend how you can think otherwise other than as a means to defend Cook. That he has never made them even equal to the sum of their parts let alone better than that is why he's been sacked. Rotherham are as good as they are (at this level) because they are well drilled and organised, not because they have the kind of quality that we have. That we're now pretending they have far better playing resources at their disposal is nuts. Cook just couldn't get a tune out of his squad, sadly.

The fact that Cook was bigging up Barrow before the game showed he was a man who perhaps suspected his goose was cooked (pardon the expression) based on recent form and performances. Fecking Barrow.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:43 - Dec 6 with 1021 viewsDarth_Koont

It’s only a big mistake if his replacement does much worse, which I can’t see with this team. They’ve got enough about them to bumble along in midtable.

But certainly might qualify as a missed or wasted opportunity, if we don’t bring someone in who is ultimately better. Then we might as well have left it with Cook to see if he could get the team firing again and more consistently, and back towards his excellent record with other teams.

I didn’t mind about Keane, Jewel, Hurst, Lambert leaving because in different ways they weren’t the answer. I put Cook with Mick and Jim where their departures were a bit more ambivalent, understandable from a certain perspective but they didn’t feel right overall.

Pronouns: He/Him

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:45 - Dec 6 with 1006 viewspositivity

Well I'd say blaming the manager is better than blaming the fans, who really don't have any input into our performances.

Have to disagree with pretty much all of your post to be honest. The performances have regressed of late and the genuinely good performances have been the exception. I don't see how that can act as evidence that it is likely to come good when those performances are so few and far between.

And our squad is ridiculous for this level of football, I really can't comprehend how you can think otherwise other than as a means to defend Cook. That he has never made them even equal to the sum of their parts let alone better than that is why he's been sacked. Rotherham are as good as they are (at this level) because they are well drilled and organised, not because they have the kind of quality that we have. That we're now pretending they have far better playing resources at their disposal is nuts. Cook just couldn't get a tune out of his squad, sadly.

the vast majority of rotherham's team have also been together far longer with a manager who's been there far longer.

how good were they in their first 15/20 games together?

serious question. how long will you give the new manager to drill and organise this "ridiculous" squad, before you start moaning about them?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:47 - Dec 6 with 994 viewsbazza

I don’t.
Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 17:54 - Dec 6 with 968 viewsunstableblue

.... I think Cook felt the board and fans would give him more time and patience.. fans seem to have gone very early.. boos after Crewe was poor, but will have been picked up by the owners.

But Cook just hasn't got the necessary performance levels out of the team.

Part his fault, part the players, but the players have definitely not transitioned to the club that well, lack confidence and let Paul Cook down massively.

But as stated many times, Cook's system requires 7+ performances from all the players, NOT 5s and 6s. How many errors and poor displays and not just from Totos,or Clements or Wolfenden type players... butt from Celina, Morsy, Evans, KVY

AND THIS IS ALL WITH A SIGNIFICANT PLAYER PERFORMANCE DEPARTMENT IN PLACE

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:59 - Dec 6 with 934 viewsstrikalite

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:23 - Dec 6 by sflurrie

Bonkers isn't it! Could you imagine supporters booing at the Olympics for example!? maybe booing Max Whitlock when he gets his routine wrong. Or Katarina Johnson-Thompson for a bad day in the heptathlon? Just seems crazy to be booing our own team?

Oh come on it happens in football, on the whole over the years we've been incredibly patient with our players, but the performances especially at PR this season(and there have now been enough games to judge this)on the whole have been poor and obviously so have the results considering the quality that's on the pitch...

It's just fans way of expressing their frustration, it's hardly uncommon in today's game.
Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 18:02 - Dec 6 with 933 viewsnodge_blue

Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 17:54 - Dec 6 by unstableblue

.... I think Cook felt the board and fans would give him more time and patience.. fans seem to have gone very early.. boos after Crewe was poor, but will have been picked up by the owners.

But Cook just hasn't got the necessary performance levels out of the team.

Part his fault, part the players, but the players have definitely not transitioned to the club that well, lack confidence and let Paul Cook down massively.

But as stated many times, Cook's system requires 7+ performances from all the players, NOT 5s and 6s. How many errors and poor displays and not just from Totos,or Clements or Wolfenden type players... butt from Celina, Morsy, Evans, KVY

AND THIS IS ALL WITH A SIGNIFICANT PLAYER PERFORMANCE DEPARTMENT IN PLACE

I’ve said before that these systems need exceptional full backs. Ones that defend really well and also bomb forward really well. Ours tend to do one thing ok but not the other. Or for some of them neither very well. And then because of that two holding midfielders looks a luxury that doesn’t work.

I think cook was wedded to not moving away from his system but this squad probably isn’t suited to it.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Login to get fewer ads

Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 18:09 - Dec 6 with 911 viewsunstableblue

Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 18:02 - Dec 6 by nodge_blue

I’ve said before that these systems need exceptional full backs. Ones that defend really well and also bomb forward really well. Ours tend to do one thing ok but not the other. Or for some of them neither very well. And then because of that two holding midfielders looks a luxury that doesn’t work.

I think cook was wedded to not moving away from his system but this squad probably isn’t suited to it.

I think KVYs performance against Bolton (where both attributes had left the building) and Coulson's injury were the death knell for Cook

He's favoured Donacien and even gave him a contract after 2/3 out of his skin performances.. but then his confidence dipped, and all his attacking intent went

Combine with Evans really having a shocking start to his Town career, and Bonne's goals drying up.. and the players were not close to being good enough for the system

We were booed off after the Crewe game.... a game where Bonne miss two sitters... yet Cook gets the sack?! thats football

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:12 - Dec 6 with 899 viewsjayessess

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:45 - Dec 6 by positivity

the vast majority of rotherham's team have also been together far longer with a manager who's been there far longer.

serious question. how long will you give the new manager to drill and organise this "ridiculous" squad, before you start moaning about them?

Relative to what?

Rotherham were dire in Warne's first part season, but didn't have the resources to compete in the Championship.

We're more or less as low as a club of our size can go in the football league without going bust. If you come in and aren't sending us in an upward direction pretty quickly, you deserve a bit of a moan!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:16 - Dec 6 with 881 viewspositivity

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:12 - Dec 6 by jayessess

Relative to what?

Rotherham were dire in Warne's first part season, but didn't have the resources to compete in the Championship.

We're more or less as low as a club of our size can go in the football league without going bust. If you come in and aren't sending us in an upward direction pretty quickly, you deserve a bit of a moan!

we might have a few managers this season then!

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:17 - Dec 6 with 881 viewsMattinLondon

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:03 - Dec 6 by BlueBadger

I strongly suspect that any of the early runners listed are the result of fools making speculative bets, rather than genuine candidates.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 17:03]

You’re not trying to insinuate that gamblers don’t have a clue and mainly just waste their money?
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:20 - Dec 6 with 872 viewsHerbivore

I won't need to moan about them, they'll do better than Cook.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:20 - Dec 6 with 871 viewsjayessess

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:16 - Dec 6 by positivity

There's no iron law that says a new manager must make the team worse.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:27 - Dec 6 with 857 viewspointofblue

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:16 - Dec 6 by positivity

Going by this comment you think we entired the whole squad an signed quite a few players who were interesting Championship teams in order to go backwards on last year?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:31 - Dec 6 with 850 viewspositivity

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:20 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

I won't need to moan about them, they'll do better than Cook.

excellent, i'll take that as a cast-iron herbivore guarantee and set aside some good beers for the promotion party then!

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:32 - Dec 6 with 845 viewspositivity

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:20 - Dec 6 by jayessess

There's no iron law that says a new manager must make the team worse.

true, they don't always make the team better either. i know a lot of leeds fans!

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:34 - Dec 6 with 842 viewsdirtyboy

I disagree with a lot of what you say much of the time, your negativity is often draining, so seeing you so positive is a welcome change and I do agree with your thoughts that our players are absolutely good enough on an individual basis.

We just need a team.

I still liked Cook, I still liked the style of play and I do think he would have got it right eventually, but obviously he's not got the chance to do that now. I guess i'm just too patient!

There's always stuff behind the scenes we never know about too, never know what the board are thinking when they know all the parts, we just see what's happening from the outside.

I'm still positive..

Not overwhelmed by JM, but what's he got to lose? Just hope the players can at least try for him and not sulk over losing the manager they inevitably came in for (I'm sure they wouldn't).
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:38 - Dec 6 with 838 viewsFixed_It

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:42 - Dec 6 by clive_baker

I hope you're right.

McGreal seems to think so.

https://fb.watch/9K3FVdCmne/

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 18:39 - Dec 6 with 835 viewsDarth_Koont

Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 18:02 - Dec 6 by nodge_blue

Surely Cook knows his system inside out though? He can’t be both too wedded to it and at the same time not know what it looks like when it’s working badly.

FWIW I thought Donacien with either Burns or Aluko ahead have been fine. Left-side we’ve generally not had enough presence in defence or attack and that’s been the real problem. Coulson has been a miss, no-one else has really stepped up instead (like Donacien on the right anyway) and then no-one’s particularly made a case for themselves on the left side of the three just to compound it.

That imbalance then leads to other areas of the team having to compensate. Particularly the second CM alongside Morsy and the Number 10 who probably have the most flexible and trickiest roles during a game. But they should be looking to get forward not cover.

Our best performance came when we played with balance never mind who was playing. But we’ve never had the same consistency and confidence on the left and it’s cost us.

Pronouns: He/Him

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:42 - Dec 6 with 800 viewsMullet

We're not competing with them in their 1st 15/20 games even if that was a valid comparison.

The season runs August - April essentially, and in that time and the time he had before Cook failed to move us in any direction but backwards.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:44 - Dec 6 with 785 viewsHerbivore

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:34 - Dec 6 by dirtyboy

I disagree with a lot of what you say much of the time, your negativity is often draining, so seeing you so positive is a welcome change and I do agree with your thoughts that our players are absolutely good enough on an individual basis.

We just need a team.

I still liked Cook, I still liked the style of play and I do think he would have got it right eventually, but obviously he's not got the chance to do that now. I guess i'm just too patient!

There's always stuff behind the scenes we never know about too, never know what the board are thinking when they know all the parts, we just see what's happening from the outside.

I'm still positive..

Not overwhelmed by JM, but what's he got to lose? Just hope the players can at least try for him and not sulk over losing the manager they inevitably came in for (I'm sure they wouldn't).

Turns out my 'negativity' was just realism, people just don't always want to hear it.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:45 - Dec 6 with 781 viewspositivity

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:44 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

Turns out my 'negativity' was just realism, people just don't always want to hear it.

i hope your 'positivity' is also realism!

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:47 - Dec 6 with 773 viewsHerbivore

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:45 - Dec 6 by positivity

i hope your 'positivity' is also realism!

As I've said elsewhere, players and teams have a ceiling and good managers get them performing at that ceiling. Similarly, I think players and sides have a floor, and Cook had us performing at that floor. I don't see the new manager doing worse than Cook.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:48 - Dec 6 with 762 viewsjayessess

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 18:32 - Dec 6 by positivity

true, they don't always make the team better either. i know a lot of leeds fans!

For me, the best indicator (by a long long way) that a manager is going to make your team better in the long term is that they make your team better in the short term.

Can't motivate the players you inherit? Red flag.
Can't find things to improve about them? Red flag.
Can't improve on the tactics and preparation of the last guy (who was bad enough to get sacked)? Red flag.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024