Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now 16:38 - Dec 6 with 6456 viewsnodge_blue

I know the results have been disappointing. But some, stressing some, of the performances have been a big improvement over recent years. I think the recruitment wasn’t quite right over the summer and that’s bound to be the case when recruiting so many. But with a couple of tweaks in the next window I was hopeful we would pick up. I’d have taken top 10 this year and push next.

Cook came across as a decent guy and clearly the players liked him and indeed many came because of him. Think American owners who are distant and let’s face it not exactly football experts have made a decision based on points return only. I seriously doubt they have a target / plan in mind.

It’s a pointless debate now as he’s gone. But I will be hugely surprised if we now kick on to get promoted this year. I think we will probably be very underwhelmed with who gets appointed as well. Followed by another mini clear out.

Just my view. And who cares really. I would agree that cook and the players have disappointed to date.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 07:14 - Dec 7 with 762 viewsHerbivore

Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 23:55 - Dec 6 by itfcasual

We have been poor down the left. Coulson looks too lightweight. Clements isn't yet ready and his team mates don't pass to him! Penney works hard but struggles to get up and down the pitch for a full 90 and gets defensively ragged in the last third of games...

Its a tough position to play in a formation reliant on overlapping fullbacks.

I'm surprised that KVY hasn't featured more but he isn't back to the player he was before injury yet.

Opposing managers seem to have got Bonne's number now and he has been less effective recently.

It was obvious after half an hour against Rotherham that the system, direct ball to Chaplin, wasn't going to work when he was being closely marked by CBs a foot taller than him and Cook either didn't see that or did but had nothing else in his locker.

I was getting to like Paul Cook despite his appalling win ratio. I guess things have improved in that we now sack managers before their team starts winning. Personally I am uninspired by the thought of poaching another League One manager. I hope that the owners do have a plan that is more than a knee jerk reaction in advance of their triumphal procession to Ipswich.

I'm not sure that we have done anything more than replace a squad of ageing League Two players with a mid table League One squad. Sure we've got a couple of stand out players but one belongs to QPR and the other to Dijon. I can't really get excited by any of our permanent signings. Wes Burns is alright but hardly a Championship player plying his trade in League One for the good of the club....

Cook didn't have much of a choice other than to completely clear out but I'm not sure that he replaced the old squad with the quality that some believe he did. I'm not sure that most of the new players are actually that good...

Let's hope there is a rabbit in that big ol' American hat.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2021 0:07]

I disagree on the quality of the squad. The likes of Morsy and Chaplin were regulars last season at good Championship sides. Walton has played at that level, as has Edmundson, and both did well and didn't look out of place. Although Bonne and Celina are on loan they both add quality to the squad as well, whilst Fraser, Burns, Pigott and Burgess were all standout players at this level last year (and the year before in some cases). The quality is absolutely there in the squad, that's why Cook's inability to get anything out of them is so frustrating.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 07:16 - Dec 7 with 760 viewspennblue

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 06:48 - Dec 7 by Sawtrich

I'm really surprised at the amount of support for Cook. The last few performances it has looked to me as if the team and the crowd had completely lost faith and there was no belief that what we were doing was going to work. We looked aimless, drifting along, resigned to our fate.
So, the question is who is the replacement and can they do better? Given how aggressive we've been in player recruitment it makes perfect sense that we'll do the same with manager recruitment. I don't think McGreal is anything but a short term appointment.

Totally totally agree the last few performances have been dross, however,

We did match Oxford at home, beat Pompey and Wycombe away, and really bosses that game at Sunderland too. For me, that was enough evidence to suggest, given another window, he would have got it right.

Very upset with the names being talked about now, I just don’t see any of them being an upgrade. But now we have a lid of decent cook players like Conor and Morsy who will be thinking of getting out I am sure. We really have shot ourselves in the foot, and it is because there is just too much impatience.

Hopefully I am wrong, we get a new super head coach and they turn us into HMS p1ss the league.

Anyway let’s get down to the valley tonight and do our bit

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 07:27 - Dec 7 with 734 viewsHerbivore

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 07:16 - Dec 7 by pennblue

Totally totally agree the last few performances have been dross, however,

We did match Oxford at home, beat Pompey and Wycombe away, and really bosses that game at Sunderland too. For me, that was enough evidence to suggest, given another window, he would have got it right.

Very upset with the names being talked about now, I just don’t see any of them being an upgrade. But now we have a lid of decent cook players like Conor and Morsy who will be thinking of getting out I am sure. We really have shot ourselves in the foot, and it is because there is just too much impatience.

Hopefully I am wrong, we get a new super head coach and they turn us into HMS p1ss the league.

Anyway let’s get down to the valley tonight and do our bit

When you're using a home draw to Oxford and an away loss at Sunderland as evidence that Cook would have got it right here you're rather clutching at straws, imo. Performances and results have gone backwards post Wycombe at a time when we should have been pushing on, that to me suggests Cook wasn't going to turn it around here. We've shown no consistency under him at any point, not in a positive way anyway, so it's fanciful to think that he was close to getting us on the kind of run we needed to go on. We've looked further away from it than ever lately.

As for the new manager, we don't know who it will be but they likely won't have Cook's track record. But then, Cook's track record was zero use to us. On paper he should have been a big upgrade on Lambert, but he wasn't. I'm pretty relaxed about it. I hope we go for more of an up and coming manager with good coaching pedigree and tactical acumen. That's something we've not had in years, probably since Burley. On paper Burley wasn't an inspiring appointment either, in fact our three best managers were all inexperienced and didn't look amazing on paper.

Cook was not the messiah, very far from it, and I do struggle to see why there's so much hand wringing over his deserved sacking.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 07:50 - Dec 7 with 708 viewsitfcasual

Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 07:14 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

I disagree on the quality of the squad. The likes of Morsy and Chaplin were regulars last season at good Championship sides. Walton has played at that level, as has Edmundson, and both did well and didn't look out of place. Although Bonne and Celina are on loan they both add quality to the squad as well, whilst Fraser, Burns, Pigott and Burgess were all standout players at this level last year (and the year before in some cases). The quality is absolutely there in the squad, that's why Cook's inability to get anything out of them is so frustrating.

TIme will tell on that but we seem to have 6 players that can play number 10 in a 4-2-3-1 and no one at left back who can keep up with the game for 90 minutes. Maybe our ability to ship late goals isn't down to Edmundson and Burgess' failure but Cook's unwillingness to change formation and put on another defender to protect a lead.
Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 08:40 - Dec 7 with 680 viewsitfcjoe

Players not performing and fans impatience was the end of Cook on 18:09 - Dec 6 by unstableblue

I think KVYs performance against Bolton (where both attributes had left the building) and Coulson's injury were the death knell for Cook

He's favoured Donacien and even gave him a contract after 2/3 out of his skin performances.. but then his confidence dipped, and all his attacking intent went

Combine with Evans really having a shocking start to his Town career, and Bonne's goals drying up.. and the players were not close to being good enough for the system

We were booed off after the Crewe game.... a game where Bonne miss two sitters... yet Cook gets the sack?! thats football

KVY started one league game when Morsy was in the side - Wycombe away.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 09:10 - Dec 7 with 641 viewstimothyeo

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 07:27 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

When you're using a home draw to Oxford and an away loss at Sunderland as evidence that Cook would have got it right here you're rather clutching at straws, imo. Performances and results have gone backwards post Wycombe at a time when we should have been pushing on, that to me suggests Cook wasn't going to turn it around here. We've shown no consistency under him at any point, not in a positive way anyway, so it's fanciful to think that he was close to getting us on the kind of run we needed to go on. We've looked further away from it than ever lately.

As for the new manager, we don't know who it will be but they likely won't have Cook's track record. But then, Cook's track record was zero use to us. On paper he should have been a big upgrade on Lambert, but he wasn't. I'm pretty relaxed about it. I hope we go for more of an up and coming manager with good coaching pedigree and tactical acumen. That's something we've not had in years, probably since Burley. On paper Burley wasn't an inspiring appointment either, in fact our three best managers were all inexperienced and didn't look amazing on paper.

Cook was not the messiah, very far from it, and I do struggle to see why there's so much hand wringing over his deserved sacking.

Exactly this. Cook's track record didn't help us - if anything all it did was turn half our fans blind and refuse to accept things weren't good enough because Cook's record meant he surely must be doing a good job.
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 09:18 - Dec 7 with 625 viewshype313

Time will tell and we will never know if Cook could have succeeded, but given his track record to date, it wasn't looking likely.

I do wonder if he was a Gamechanger guy whether he would have been given more time, but the fact is we have new ownership who won't expect nothing but success, so not overly surprised they made a swift decision.

I think the surprise across the fanbase is partly due to the fact that we were so used to Evans sitting on his hands whilst the place was burning with previous managers far outstaying their welcome, to then going to this new approach of swift, decisive action.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 09:20 - Dec 7 with 618 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:43 - Dec 6 by footers

The fact that Cook was bigging up Barrow before the game showed he was a man who perhaps suspected his goose was cooked (pardon the expression) based on recent form and performances. Fecking Barrow.

Managers big up the opposition every. fecking. time. Why on earth would they do otherwise and given them even the tiniest bit of motivation?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 09:36 - Dec 7 with 578 viewsitfcjoe

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 09:20 - Dec 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

Managers big up the opposition every. fecking. time. Why on earth would they do otherwise and given them even the tiniest bit of motivation?

It’s just a respect thing, no wonder old school managers like Cook and previously Mick did it. You never know when you might need their help

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 10:31 - Dec 7 with 507 viewsTexaco73

It was the right time to let him go.

It could be argued that Cook was employed by Evans and the brief he took on to work with buttons and pocket lint was ripped up when GC finialised the takeover, but
Cook's job brief, although promotion was obviously still the aim, will have become a somewhat different role with higher expectations.

TBH I didn't like the way he behaved when did the whole 'Demolition Man' bit.
Although many of those players needed moving on and strengthening was definitely needed, IMO he didn't come across very well during that period. From the outside it looked like he didn't treat the squad he inherited with very much respect.

He chose to rip up the squad entirely and start again, his team didn't perform well enough for him and therefore he got the sack.
He had more than enough time to get a resilient, competitive team up and running. (Esp. Given the resources at his disposal)

The means of the job may have changed for Cook, but with that comes different expection. He isn't a stupid man and he will have known that.
I think he is used to being a shoestring manager and the faster expectations, greater resources and the likes of Ashton and admin/owner pressure weighed heavily on him.
I wish him well, but it just wasn't working here for him.
He will do well at another club with less pressure, but Ipswich is club that has had injection of impetus to turn things around and time is in short supply.
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 10:57 - Dec 7 with 490 viewsRadlett_blue

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:41 - Dec 6 by nodge_blue

There was a time we laughed at Leeds constantly changing managers and going nowhere.

I’ve argued it in my head that maybe just rattling through managers is actually a strategy and you will hit on a good one quicker. But only if that good one hits the ground running.

I have been hugely disappointed that we haven’t bossed games much more than we have. To see us struggling to put away league two sides isn’t a great feeling. If only his number two had come with him. Think cooks recruitment of largely unknown and unproven coaches can’t have helped.

I still think he is a good manager though who just off to a bad start and couldn’t turn it round quickly enough.

Sheffield United, a club of similar size in this league, went through 5 managers in 5/12 years before they lucked out with Chris Wilder. Cook was a classic Evans appointment, a man with a solid record of getting teams promoted from this league & div 4, but like Keane, Jewell & Lambert, he's been poor. The time Evans went outside his template was with Hurst, who was unarguably worse. It's a lottery.
Would Cook have done better with more time? We'll never know & in the past he's got his clubs promoted in his second full season. But maybe much of that was down to Richardson. Again, we don't know.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 11:05 - Dec 7 with 476 viewstimothyeo

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 09:20 - Dec 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah, it was enough motivation playing us under Cook as it was, knowing we'd be tactically inept and giving them ample chances for a result against us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024