Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years 10:58 - Jan 6 with 2198 viewshomer_123

Inflation going up and costs in general are rising....my thinking is interest rates could rise sharply - maybe to 3% or 4% or more in that time period, if inflation cannot be managed.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:02 - Jan 6 with 1722 viewsKeno

Interest rates will go up, probably not very quickly this year, maybe to 1%

They will probably continue to rise afterwards but by how much will depend on various factors ranging from inflation, covid recovery and political influences

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:07 - Jan 6 with 1689 viewsKieran_Knows

I fixed for 5 years this year, so hopefully that’ll see me through till things calm down again.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:08 - Jan 6 with 1676 viewsWeWereZombies

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:02 - Jan 6 by Keno

Interest rates will go up, probably not very quickly this year, maybe to 1%

They will probably continue to rise afterwards but by how much will depend on various factors ranging from inflation, covid recovery and political influences

Many states around the World have built up and added to deficits during the pandemic. Will those states be happy to see interest rates rise if it means they have to raise more in tax to service the debt and consequently face a backlash from their electorate?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:12 - Jan 6 with 1658 viewsStokieBlue

If interest rates hit 4% in that time period then the number of people defaulting on their mortgages is going to be pretty large.

For instance, if you have a 250k mortgage @ 2% then a rise to 5% (which would be likely with interest rates at 4%) would mean an increase in payments of ~400 per month.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:12 - Jan 6 with 1652 viewsgiant_stow

Obviously I'm no expert, but there is a possibility that rates could rise faster than people expect this year. There was an interesting piece in the dirty telegraph yesterday linking China's growing battle to stick to their zero covid plan with possible supply disruption and ensuing inflationary preasures. The upshot being that current inflationary preasures may not be so temporary. Could be right could be wrong.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:13 - Jan 6 with 1651 viewsKeno

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:08 - Jan 6 by WeWereZombies

Many states around the World have built up and added to deficits during the pandemic. Will those states be happy to see interest rates rise if it means they have to raise more in tax to service the debt and consequently face a backlash from their electorate?

Without a doubt governments will want inflation too rise to deflate the vale of the debts but there are 2 or 3 factors to consider

1, a rise in interest rates will increase the cost of government borrowing (and thus tax burdens)
2, a rise interest rates may affect the economic recovery
3, sharp rises in interest rates will be unpopular and may lose governments elections

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:25 - Jan 6 with 1562 viewsPinewoodblue

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:13 - Jan 6 by Keno

Without a doubt governments will want inflation too rise to deflate the vale of the debts but there are 2 or 3 factors to consider

1, a rise in interest rates will increase the cost of government borrowing (and thus tax burdens)
2, a rise interest rates may affect the economic recovery
3, sharp rises in interest rates will be unpopular and may lose governments elections

Point 3 could work both ways. It could impact on Labour’s prospects , especially with the older voter.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:33 - Jan 6 with 1543 viewshomer_123

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:12 - Jan 6 by StokieBlue

If interest rates hit 4% in that time period then the number of people defaulting on their mortgages is going to be pretty large.

For instance, if you have a 250k mortgage @ 2% then a rise to 5% (which would be likely with interest rates at 4%) would mean an increase in payments of ~400 per month.

SB

Yep, this would be my first concern.

Login to get fewer ads

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:34 - Jan 6 with 1545 viewsronnyd

I'm of an age that remembers when the bank rate of the time was leading the mortgage rates to be in excess of 15%. Anyone now relying on savings to fund retirement, spending etc. is up sh!t creek.
What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:35 - Jan 6 with 1537 viewshomer_123

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:34 - Jan 6 by ronnyd

I'm of an age that remembers when the bank rate of the time was leading the mortgage rates to be in excess of 15%. Anyone now relying on savings to fund retirement, spending etc. is up sh!t creek.

The effect on mortgages though from going from 0.5% to 4% is drastic....anyone relying on savings has been struggling for quite some time!

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:38 - Jan 6 with 1522 viewsKeno

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:25 - Jan 6 by Pinewoodblue

Point 3 could work both ways. It could impact on Labour’s prospects , especially with the older voter.

It could but I think there are more people in the with mortgages than OAP's

I am looking for stats form the Office of made up statistics (Aks ONS)

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:42 - Jan 6 with 1511 viewsronnyd

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:35 - Jan 6 by homer_123

The effect on mortgages though from going from 0.5% to 4% is drastic....anyone relying on savings has been struggling for quite some time!

Quite agree. Also the amount i paid for my house at the time was ten times less than what it's purported to be worth now.
What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:49 - Jan 6 with 1477 viewsWeWereZombies

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:35 - Jan 6 by homer_123

That depends upon where your savings are, if you are a little risk averse and have made a good choice of Stocks and Shares ISA for example should see a return well above inflation.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:51 - Jan 6 with 1464 viewsfooters

I'm pretty interested at the moment what with the appointment of McKenna but will likely lose interest steadily as it becomes clearer that we won't reach the play-offs this year. Then I won't be interested at all for a few months, but I expect that to pick back up again come August.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 12:03 - Jan 6 with 1382 viewshomer_123

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:49 - Jan 6 by WeWereZombies

That depends upon where your savings are, if you are a little risk averse and have made a good choice of Stocks and Shares ISA for example should see a return well above inflation.

Yes, that's entirely true.

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 12:17 - Jan 6 with 1338 viewsJ2BLUE

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:07 - Jan 6 by Kieran_Knows

I fixed for 5 years this year, so hopefully that’ll see me through till things calm down again.

I locked in 7. Really considered 10 to be honest.

Dirt cheap and one less thing to worry about.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 12:26 - Jan 6 with 1303 viewsclive_baker

There's only one way they can go from here. My guess would be:

This time next year 0.75%
Jan 2024: 1.5%

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 12:29 - Jan 6 with 1285 viewsCoastalblue

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 12:17 - Jan 6 by J2BLUE

I locked in 7. Really considered 10 to be honest.

Dirt cheap and one less thing to worry about.

I did 5, and the only reason I discounted 10 years in the end was the doubt that I'd still be living here then. 10 years would have virtually seen the end of my mortgage, not for the first time I might add.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 12:29 - Jan 6 with 1282 viewsclive_baker

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:12 - Jan 6 by StokieBlue

SB

At least utilities are so cheap at the moment to offset that...

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 13:20 - Jan 6 with 1162 viewsGuthrum

Interest rates only control inflation if it's caused by excess spending with borrowed money. If, instead, inflation is caused by shortages or supply issues (or profiteering), then all it does is cause hardship by reducing people's access to funds.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 13:36 - Jan 6 with 1125 viewsEireannach_gorm

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 11:49 - Jan 6 by WeWereZombies

The company that I have my PRB with, allocated 80% of funds to cash which is actually losing money so I have now moved it to a different company with more beneficial choice of fund ( share funds are doing particularly well at the moment ).

On another note Irish inflation went from under 2% in April ( was minus value at the start of 2021 ) to over 5% in December and predicted to go to 7% mid 2022.

Moral of the story is not to leave your money idle or it will depreciate. On the mortgage front ( thankfully not a personal concern ), fixing the rate is probably wise.
What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 13:51 - Jan 6 with 1101 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 13:20 - Jan 6 by Guthrum

Interest rates only control inflation if it's caused by excess spending with borrowed money. If, instead, inflation is caused by shortages or supply issues (or profiteering), then all it does is cause hardship by reducing people's access to funds.

Isn't some of the inflation down to QE money sloshing around the system? Stagflation plus higher interest rates, now there's a heady mix!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 13:54 - Jan 6 with 1092 viewslowhouseblue

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 13:51 - Jan 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

Isn't some of the inflation down to QE money sloshing around the system? Stagflation plus higher interest rates, now there's a heady mix!

no, very much supply side inflation at the current time - so not QE. QE is expansionary (money sloshing around the system) but is only offsetting other contractionary forces (eg the pandemic).

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 14:31 - Jan 6 with 1044 viewsPrideOfTheEast

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 13:36 - Jan 6 by Eireannach_gorm

The company that I have my PRB with, allocated 80% of funds to cash which is actually losing money so I have now moved it to a different company with more beneficial choice of fund ( share funds are doing particularly well at the moment ).

On another note Irish inflation went from under 2% in April ( was minus value at the start of 2021 ) to over 5% in December and predicted to go to 7% mid 2022.

Moral of the story is not to leave your money idle or it will depreciate. On the mortgage front ( thankfully not a personal concern ), fixing the rate is probably wise.

Absolutely. As always you have to make excess cash work for you. So at the moment, well over 80% of ours is invested in various trackers, funds, individual stocks etc. Very good returns but at a minimum you need to be beating inflation.

Some very good deals out there now for fixed rate mortgages which look an absolute steal.
What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 14:34 - Jan 6 with 1023 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years on 13:54 - Jan 6 by lowhouseblue

no, very much supply side inflation at the current time - so not QE. QE is expansionary (money sloshing around the system) but is only offsetting other contractionary forces (eg the pandemic).

No carry over from the billions/trillions(?) before the pandemic?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024