Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woolfenden 08:28 - Jan 23 with 3066 viewsHerbivore

May have missed it if his performance has already been discussed, but I thought he was excellent yesterday. Won lots of physical battles with Bishop, who is a unit, and swept up well with some crucial blocks and interceptions. He's really growing into that role in the middle of the back three and it's pleasing to see him raising his level now he's finally been given a run of games. Long may it continue.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Woolfenden on 09:02 - Jan 23 with 2558 viewsgordon

Completely agree, insane to think Nsiala was being picked ahead of him!
Woolfenden on 09:10 - Jan 23 with 2519 viewsjayessess

Yup, we've definitively re-found the 2019-20 version of him.
A massive bonus for McKenna to find an unused Championship-level CB down the back of the sofa.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Woolfenden on 09:30 - Jan 23 with 2451 viewsHerbivore

Woolfenden on 09:10 - Jan 23 by jayessess

Yup, we've definitively re-found the 2019-20 version of him.
A massive bonus for McKenna to find an unused Championship-level CB down the back of the sofa.

One could make the case that the Woolfie situation highlights the previous manager's stubbornness and questionable man management, if one was so inclined.

Woolfenden on 09:33 - Jan 23 with 2430 viewsDubtractor

Woolfenden on 09:30 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

One could make the case that the Woolfie situation highlights the previous manager's stubbornness and questionable man management, if one was so inclined.

Yes, one could definitely make that case.

Cook was definitely guilty of making his mind up a bit too readily on all of last season's squad (I appreciate that time was definitely up for a lot of them though), and you got the impression that some of them were only retained to make up the numbers.

We've seen this season that Dozzell and Downes have stepped up and looked decent a division higher, lets hope we've at least held onto another academy product that can do the same.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Woolfenden on 09:35 - Jan 23 with 2413 viewsMetal_Hacker

Yeah he went quietly about his job and looked very good

Strangely enough as his performances get better and better , The Fridge is having a little wobble

Poll: If it were one or the other

Woolfenden on 09:38 - Jan 23 with 2392 viewsNthQldITFC

Woolfenden on 09:35 - Jan 23 by Metal_Hacker

Strangely enough as his performances get better and better , The Fridge is having a little wobble

Nothing that can't be fixed by twiddling the little threaded foot underneath him. And you might, like me, be lucky enough to find a 'not too hairy' lost olive whilst you're down there. Yum!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Woolfenden on 09:39 - Jan 23 with 2376 viewsMetal_Hacker

Woolfenden on 09:38 - Jan 23 by NthQldITFC

Nothing that can't be fixed by twiddling the little threaded foot underneath him. And you might, like me, be lucky enough to find a 'not too hairy' lost olive whilst you're down there. Yum!

A hairy olive - now that’s the best euphemism I’ve ever heard

Poll: If it were one or the other

Woolfenden on 09:41 - Jan 23 with 2356 viewsSenatorBlue

Thought he was excellent.

Good on the ball as we know, and did everything else effectively without any fuss or moments. His positional sense and game reading looking to be improving too, as you would expect with game time and a run of games.

Hope it continues. When I see Woolfie, I see a lot of Webster. He’s going to be some defender if he gets a full season or two under his belt.
Login to get fewer ads

Woolfenden on 09:50 - Jan 23 with 2312 viewsNthQldITFC

Woolfenden on 09:39 - Jan 23 by Metal_Hacker

A hairy olive - now that’s the best euphemism I’ve ever heard

I thought that sounded a bit 'ooh-er!' as I wrote it.

Woolfenden on 09:57 - Jan 23 with 2267 viewsHerbivore

Woolfenden on 09:41 - Jan 23 by SenatorBlue

Thought he was excellent.

Good on the ball as we know, and did everything else effectively without any fuss or moments. His positional sense and game reading looking to be improving too, as you would expect with game time and a run of games.

Hope it continues. When I see Woolfie, I see a lot of Webster. He’s going to be some defender if he gets a full season or two under his belt.

The Webster comparison is a good one I think. Woolf has a way to go to get to that kind of level but he has the attributes, imo. His reading of the game is definitely improving, he's good on the ball, and he's looking more commanding in recent games as well. Really hope he cements a place in the side now and continues to develop. I think should McKenna want to tinker with the formation, a pairing of Woolf and Edmundson has serious potential.

Woolfenden on 10:02 - Jan 23 with 2234 viewsjayessess

Woolfenden on 09:33 - Jan 23 by Dubtractor

Yes, one could definitely make that case.

Cook was definitely guilty of making his mind up a bit too readily on all of last season's squad (I appreciate that time was definitely up for a lot of them though), and you got the impression that some of them were only retained to make up the numbers.

We've seen this season that Dozzell and Downes have stepped up and looked decent a division higher, lets hope we've at least held onto another academy product that can do the same.

Seems obvious to me that Cook let his frustrations get the better of him whilst he was here. "Sink or swim" double training sessions, injudicious comments to the press, sending people to the bomb squad after one mistake.

A bit more composure and bit less heart-on-his-sleeve would've served him well. He could've transformed that squad just by letting contracts expire, there was absolutely no need to create so much bad feeling about it.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Woolfenden on 10:04 - Jan 23 with 2214 viewsthebooks

Yes, our best defender at the moment. Love it when he steps out of defence as well.

Just shows how ridiculous it was deciding that pretty much the whole of last year’s squad should be got rid of/sidelined.
Woolfenden on 10:22 - Jan 23 with 2150 viewsHerbivore

Woolfenden on 10:04 - Jan 23 by thebooks

Yes, our best defender at the moment. Love it when he steps out of defence as well.

Just shows how ridiculous it was deciding that pretty much the whole of last year’s squad should be got rid of/sidelined.

I still think that had Cook behaved differently and had he really wanted to, we could have had Downes in the middle of the park this season.

Woolfenden on 10:24 - Jan 23 with 2129 viewsunstableblue

Wolfenden was superb at Gillingham and the best of the Central 3 at Bolton

Kudos to McKenna

McKennas post match interview was superb and so fills me with confidence- as he says it was a massive result

How did Edmundson and KVY play Herbie!?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Woolfenden on 10:26 - Jan 23 with 2122 viewstextbackup

His header down to Chaplin (when under pressure defending a corner) started the move for the first goal.
He really stepped up yesterday

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Woolfenden on 10:30 - Jan 23 with 2097 viewsthebooks

Woolfenden on 10:22 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

I still think that had Cook behaved differently and had he really wanted to, we could have had Downes in the middle of the park this season.

I guess we’ll never know. Downes had an offer from Palace before he went to Swansea, so I expect he would have left whatever. I don’t get the impression it would have made a difference as Cook seemed hellbent on getting rid of pretty much everyone, but that’s just speculating.

Regardless, Cook made his bed when he ditched a whole team. It’s great seeing a homegrown player develop again.
Woolfenden on 10:41 - Jan 23 with 2051 viewstextbackup

Not a chance. Downes had made his mind up a long time ago.

Toys went out of the pram 12/15months prior to that too.

Suspect he’ll act the same if someone bigger than Swansea show an interest. He is an Essex boy after all, they do tend to have that about them, Charlie big spuds
[Post edited 23 Jan 2022 11:51]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Woolfenden on 10:59 - Jan 23 with 1988 viewsBlueBadger

He's no Toto, though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Woolfenden on 10:59 - Jan 23 with 1990 viewsSenatorBlue

Woolfenden on 09:57 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

The Webster comparison is a good one I think. Woolf has a way to go to get to that kind of level but he has the attributes, imo. His reading of the game is definitely improving, he's good on the ball, and he's looking more commanding in recent games as well. Really hope he cements a place in the side now and continues to develop. I think should McKenna want to tinker with the formation, a pairing of Woolf and Edmundson has serious potential.

Totally. My comparison was Webster when with us. I often think we write off players too early, or perhaps that should read, expect the finished article too early. The talent/player is there, just needs experience and coaching.
Woolfenden on 11:00 - Jan 23 with 1987 viewsBlueBadger

Imagine what Mckenna could have done with him and Dozzell.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Woolfenden on 11:03 - Jan 23 with 1946 viewsSimonds92

Ok so as a critic of his, i completely agree with the OP. He was very good yesterday and made one very good recovery run when Morsy got caught on halfway. Some of the subsequent posts are probably why I'm more vocal about his limitations. The comparison to Webster is not a good one because Webster was head and shoulders above Woolfenden at the same age. Since we've played 3 at the back he has done well. I still wouldn't be confident starting him in a back 4 because positionally he's not great. He can be a decent league 1 defender, he's not suddenly a high end Championship defender.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2022 11:10]
Woolfenden on 11:11 - Jan 23 with 1909 viewsSamWhiteUK

Yep, not been sure on him tbh, but yesterday he was immense
Woolfenden on 11:16 - Jan 23 with 1888 viewsNthQldITFC

Woolfenden on 10:59 - Jan 23 by SenatorBlue

Totally. My comparison was Webster when with us. I often think we write off players too early, or perhaps that should read, expect the finished article too early. The talent/player is there, just needs experience and coaching.

Same re. Harper and Edwards.

Woolfenden on 11:44 - Jan 23 with 1830 viewsSawtrich

He was excellent, there has always been a player there with talent, if he's got his head around the nitty gritty of League One defending then we really have something. Credit has to go to McKenna and his staff for the turnaround in his form.
Woolfenden on 12:30 - Jan 23 with 1737 viewspointofblue

Woolfenden on 09:35 - Jan 23 by Metal_Hacker

Could be as simple as Woolfenden is slightly more comfortable than Edmundson as part of a back three, especially as I get the impression Edmundson is a right sided centre back being asked to play on the left. Saying that, he did well in a back four on the left side under Cook.

I do wonder if McKenna might ask Ashton to look for a ball playing left sided centre back. Burgess can play there but we haven’t seen much of his call carrying abilities and I doubt they were required at Accrington. Then Edmundson can switch to the right.

Woolfenden has been showing the ability he has since we switched to a back three. I agree he does have a lot to learn but at least he seems to be improving once again. I think a lot of his stagnation over the last 18 months can be put too to the dire tactics and approach by Lambert and Cook.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024