Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna and Ashton podcast 10:44 - Feb 15 with 9815 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

Just listened to this on EADT website. Totally impressed. No doubt in my mind that finally after 20 years of decline we are on the way up. McKenna so articulate, What a difference from the last few years.
McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:27 - Feb 15 with 2396 viewsGuthrum

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 12:53 - Feb 15 by Dubtractor

Listening to this just confirms, once again, how important it was to get Marcus Evans out of our club.

Hugely encouraging stuff from both Ashton and McKenna though, and good questions from the EADT boys.

I feel bad talking down Evans now he's gone, but I can't imagine getting such a detailed, in-depth, explanatory interview lasting a whole hour with him and one of his mangers, sparking off each other like that.

Trusting fans with information on the thought processes going on within the club does a lot to build confidence and support.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:33 - Feb 15 with 2364 viewsDubtractor

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:27 - Feb 15 by Guthrum

I feel bad talking down Evans now he's gone, but I can't imagine getting such a detailed, in-depth, explanatory interview lasting a whole hour with him and one of his mangers, sparking off each other like that.

Trusting fans with information on the thought processes going on within the club does a lot to build confidence and support.

Yeah, its a bloody long way from a 2 yearly stage managed interview full of meaningless '5 point plan' proclamations isn't it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:47 - Feb 15 with 2295 viewsGuthrum

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:33 - Feb 15 by Dubtractor

Yeah, its a bloody long way from a 2 yearly stage managed interview full of meaningless '5 point plan' proclamations isn't it?

It's partly the fact they don't claim to have a grand "plan" as such, more an ethos which they expect to bring success over the long(ish) term. A new Ipswich Way, to coin a phrase.

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:47 - Feb 15 with 2289 viewsIpswichKnight

I think you mean the 5 point plan written on back of an envelope 5 mins before it was announced!

I’m sure we will get the usual lot from Bristol telling us it’s all a sham and Ashton is actually conducting a black mass or our feathered friends masquerading as Town fans will be about telling us we’re scum for accepting pension money etc etc…

However we have owners who are engaging and feel like the plans they have aren’t made up rubbish.
McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:50 - Feb 15 with 2254 viewsSwansea_Blue

What? You mean we HAVEN'T now got a 5 point plan.

Boo Clegg out.

Nice thread, but that's another hour's distraction that I can't afford. I can't not listen to it though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:52 - Feb 15 with 2237 viewsGuthrum

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:50 - Feb 15 by Swansea_Blue

What? You mean we HAVEN'T now got a 5 point plan.

Boo Clegg out.

Nice thread, but that's another hour's distraction that I can't afford. I can't not listen to it though.

Same problem I had. Still haven't done the invoices and estimates I was planning to get sorted this morning!

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:53 - Feb 15 with 2229 viewsSwansea_Blue

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:52 - Feb 15 by Guthrum

Same problem I had. Still haven't done the invoices and estimates I was planning to get sorted this morning!

Business planning for me. I hate this time of year, trying to make sense of the unpredictable.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:59 - Feb 15 with 2205 viewsChurchman

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 12:19 - Feb 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm gonna give it a listen.

Although..... I have no axe to grind with Ashton in general, but his tone and delivery really get on my nerves. Bit of a corporate clone in the David Brent mould at times.

....hopefully more KM than MA on this pod?

Unfortunately, his accent doesn’t help. However, cut through that and the corporate-speak and he comes across well. McKenna certainly comes across well and all round I thought the interview excellent and reassuring - well done to the interviewers too. Key things that struck me:

1. MA and KM are establishing a very good working relationship which is crucial.
2. They were clear in the player recruitment process. I hope that ends some of speculation on how it’s done.
3. McKenna is a modern manager and worked at top clubs so performance directors etc (e.g. Andy Rolls & co) is precisely what he expected and believes he needs.
4. The work required on the club infrastructure is long term and exhaustive. MA was clear about the training facilities, football ground etc. with regard to the latter and 20 years of neglect.
5. I don’t think Wilshere will be arriving to shine the treatment table any time soon. Phew.

I’ve found the years of obvious decline to my club so sad and at long last I see the club moving forwards, not forever backwards. It’s very exciting. Regardless of where we finish this season, that’ll do me.
Login to get fewer ads

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 14:02 - Feb 15 with 2205 viewsFightingEssex

Yeah those awful northerners and Scots with their working class ways of speaking, it was because they weren’t articulate enough which is why the club didn’t do well and not the meagre investment and the fact the footballers we were willing to pay for were sh1t…

Articulation means promotion clearly. …

Being articulate is About as relevant to results, progress and league standings as away attendance and possession stats. We’ve become so desperate that there’s a whole new bunch of straws we’re clutching to cover for the fact the season has been an unmistakable disaster.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 14:05 - Feb 15 with 2184 viewsGuthrum

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 14:02 - Feb 15 by FightingEssex

Yeah those awful northerners and Scots with their working class ways of speaking, it was because they weren’t articulate enough which is why the club didn’t do well and not the meagre investment and the fact the footballers we were willing to pay for were sh1t…

Being articulate is About as relevant to results, progress and league standings as away attendance and possession stats. We’ve become so desperate that there’s a whole new bunch of straws we’re clutching to cover for the fact the season has been an unmistakable disaster.

As opposed to Northern Irish and West Midlands accents??

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 14:05 - Feb 15 with 2189 viewstractorboy1978

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 13:59 - Feb 15 by Churchman

Unfortunately, his accent doesn’t help. However, cut through that and the corporate-speak and he comes across well. McKenna certainly comes across well and all round I thought the interview excellent and reassuring - well done to the interviewers too. Key things that struck me:

1. MA and KM are establishing a very good working relationship which is crucial.
2. They were clear in the player recruitment process. I hope that ends some of speculation on how it’s done.
3. McKenna is a modern manager and worked at top clubs so performance directors etc (e.g. Andy Rolls & co) is precisely what he expected and believes he needs.
4. The work required on the club infrastructure is long term and exhaustive. MA was clear about the training facilities, football ground etc. with regard to the latter and 20 years of neglect.
5. I don’t think Wilshere will be arriving to shine the treatment table any time soon. Phew.

I’ve found the years of obvious decline to my club so sad and at long last I see the club moving forwards, not forever backwards. It’s very exciting. Regardless of where we finish this season, that’ll do me.

I think it is clear that McKenna is working within a structure that offers all of the support tools he needs to do his job effectively - comprehensive medical team, fitness team, sports science team, empowered CEO, recruitment team being built, supportive owners, financial backing. It gives him the best chance of being successful and allows him to focus on coaching/managing the group of players he has rather than getting dragged into other areas.

Realistically Evans could never appoint someone of his ilk as the structure wasn't right. And a manager like McKenna used to working with this sort of set up wouldn't think about coming here. This is why our pool of managers under Evans was always going to be limited to the old school and increasingly becoming outdated 'manage the whole club' types.

Whether we go up this year or not, we are a million miles better off than we were this time last year.
McKenna and Ashton podcast on 14:08 - Feb 15 with 2168 viewsChurchman

For somebody who uses the word articulate more than once, that post was remarkably inarticulate.

I’ve no idea what you are trying to say. Anyway, Norwich are still in with a shout of avoiding relegation. You must be happy with that.
McKenna and Ashton podcast on 14:15 - Feb 15 with 2135 viewsDubtractor

What are you babbling on about, you incessant whirlpool of negativity.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 14:18 - Feb 15 with 2123 viewsblueasfook

Who hurt you?

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 14:18 - Feb 15 with 2120 viewsFixed_It

You are becoming a poor tribute act of that Elephant bloke. Fancy aspiring to be like him?! Jeez!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 14:20 - Feb 15 with 2118 viewshype313

2/10

A bonus point for learning a new word "Articulate" and to use it 3 times in one post.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 14:40 - Feb 15 with 2074 viewsKeno

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 14:20 - Feb 15 by hype313

2/10

A bonus point for learning a new word "Articulate" and to use it 3 times in one post.

Articulate - isnt what what you say to the driver of a big lorry when its behind schedule?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 14:57 - Feb 15 with 2031 viewsNthQldITFC

That's a brilliant listen, as others have said.

It brings a tear of sadness to my eye to have confirmed again how much the club has been neglected, but a tear of joy from being absolutely sure that we are now in the right hands from top to bottom.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 15:04 - Feb 15 with 2014 viewsNthQldITFC

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 12:19 - Feb 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm gonna give it a listen.

Although..... I have no axe to grind with Ashton in general, but his tone and delivery really get on my nerves. Bit of a corporate clone in the David Brent mould at times.

....hopefully more KM than MA on this pod?

Corporate-speak really gets on my nerves too, but I genuinely don't get that from Ashton at all. Sure, he's very positive and upbeat in the way he talks, but it's becoming pretty clear that there are very good reasons to think this club has the backing and capacity to really move up now, so I think his attitude really reflects that.

Are you sure it's not just the beard!?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 15:25 - Feb 15 with 1944 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Although at the start Ashton literally admits that he is paid to stalk people....knew he was a wrong'un. Oh BTW Mark, as you obviously will be reading this, if you could just bung a few quid towards my Macmillans sponsorship at the top of the page I'll give you a break for this season.
More seriously though that was a very positive listen, my only long term concern is that with the amount of money being thrown at new staff and infrastructure this had better work out. Feels a bit sh1t or bust, and looking at Bristol City's balance sheet during the time of his tenure should help tell you why. Optimistic though, still think we might make the play offs and do well if so.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2022 15:30]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 15:45 - Feb 15 with 1891 viewsSawtrich

An excellent listen. A reminder of how far we've come and how far we still have to go. Some of the stuff about the state of the training facilities is really heartbreaking to hear. I think, at last, we have everyone pulling in the same direction and the future should be brighter.
McKenna and Ashton podcast on 16:05 - Feb 15 with 1837 viewsbluejacko

A very good listen! I think that should put to bed most of the ‘concerns’ some posters have about Ashton & Co
McKenna and Ashton podcast on 16:08 - Feb 15 with 1814 viewsfarkenhell

McKenna and Ashton podcast on 11:10 - Feb 15 by Guthrum

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/mckenna-and-ashton-on-kings-of-anglia-

Just listened to it. Thanks for posting.
McKenna and Ashton podcast on 16:17 - Feb 15 with 1780 viewsgtsb1966

The burning question though is will KM pass Frimleys Smarmometer.
McKenna and Ashton podcast on 16:26 - Feb 15 with 1754 viewsIpswichKnight

And lo it came to pass now all we need is for Bristol City fan to rock up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024