Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
KMac still has a bit to do with this team 16:11 - Mar 27 with 4054 viewsDarth_Koont

Yesterday’s overall performance was so good, and Plymouth barely landed a glove, but the concern about creating and converting enough chances still remains.

No blame attached as I don’t think it’s anything that has been particularly in his power given these are the strikers/attackers he inherited. But the result is that, despite settling the defensive side and making us much tougher to crack, we’re still only 3rd in the form league for McKenna’s 17 games.

Hopefully we can still squeeze into the playoffs and then I think our solidity would be a massive advantage. But more likely we’re looking at the next season in League One with a need to have our attack firing so that we are legitimately leading the way as the top 1 or 2 teams in the division.

The good news is that I’m confident of a good transfer window with McKenna in charge. I think if he’s allowed to address our attack and build it around 2 or 3 key players (Burns, Chaplin and ?) then I think we’ll be more enough for this division. And will be interesting to see if he can get something out of Harper, Edwards, El Mizouni, Dobra etc. with a clean slate and coming into a pretty solid structure otherwise.

A consistently performing, lynchpin striker who can give the attack a focal point and weigh in with 10 or more goals looks absolutely vital though. And I don’t really feel we have that at present or at least that Pigott can turn his Town career around to do that.

[Post edited 28 Mar 2022 11:54]

Pronouns: He/Him

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:18 - Mar 27 with 3145 viewsitfcsuth

The manager can set out a tactical game plan, but he can’t put the ball in the back of the net for the players.

The tactical approach that McKenna has implemented is as close to perfect as you will get, and the players are executing week after week as close to perfect as you will find.

Burns finishes his chance - a chance we’ve seen him slot away many times this season, the game reflects the most comfortable 2-0 victory you will see, against 4th in the division, unbeaten in 6 without conceding.

I think we will look at 2 strikers in the summer - I’ve made my suggestions known I’d be looking at Mo Eisa and Troy Parrott.

But we are near perfect right now.
KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:28 - Mar 27 with 3092 viewsDarth_Koont

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:18 - Mar 27 by itfcsuth

The manager can set out a tactical game plan, but he can’t put the ball in the back of the net for the players.

The tactical approach that McKenna has implemented is as close to perfect as you will get, and the players are executing week after week as close to perfect as you will find.

Burns finishes his chance - a chance we’ve seen him slot away many times this season, the game reflects the most comfortable 2-0 victory you will see, against 4th in the division, unbeaten in 6 without conceding.

I think we will look at 2 strikers in the summer - I’ve made my suggestions known I’d be looking at Mo Eisa and Troy Parrott.

Sure. But I think we’re not nearly as clinical as we need to be. In our finishing but actually just butchering a few too many opportunities to create a relatively clean chance.

This is all season too. Even with Cook’s team with more players in attack that was about trying to get on the front foot and stay there.

It’s just not quite there.

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:29 - Mar 27 with 3075 viewsSheffordBlue

It wouldn't surprise me to see an Aluko/Carroll type striker signing. Older player with Prem experience. Not to be a regular starter but to have some real quality in the group and to be do a shift every now and then

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:35 - Mar 27 with 3049 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Plymouth had not conceded a single goal in the last 6 matches. As well as scoring, we created a number of other chances.

However, we didn't make their keeper make a difficult save and we do need to convert more of our play into shots on target. I think some of our decision making was wrong on when to shoot and when to pass/cross. I really don't think we are far away at all. Get it right over the last 6-9 matches of the season and we might be in the Championship next season.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:38 - Mar 27 with 3035 viewstractorboy1978

This squad only gets better over the summer with a full pre season under McKenna and no doubt a couple of attacking additions. We are 2nd in the form table since McKenna arrived so legitimately performing as a automatic promotion side.
KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:43 - Mar 27 with 2979 viewsDarth_Koont

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:38 - Mar 27 by tractorboy1978

This squad only gets better over the summer with a full pre season under McKenna and no doubt a couple of attacking additions. We are 2nd in the form table since McKenna arrived so legitimately performing as a automatic promotion side.

Hasn’t it been 16 league games with Kmac in charge? On that we’re 6th.

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:45 - Mar 27 with 2965 viewstractorboy1978

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:43 - Mar 27 by Darth_Koont

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:47 - Mar 27 with 2956 viewsIllinoisblue

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:28 - Mar 27 by Darth_Koont

Sure. But I think we’re not nearly as clinical as we need to be. In our finishing but actually just butchering a few too many opportunities to create a relatively clean chance.

This is all season too. Even with Cook’s team with more players in attack that was about trying to get on the front foot and stay there.

It’s just not quite there.

Aside from Gillingham away we haven’t really given anyone a battering, at least not in terms of score line. We’re dominating for sure but if you don’t score enough you’re always vulnerable to dropping points. Summer transfers will be very interesting re the strikers… they might all be gone by August.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:04 - Mar 27 with 2857 viewsDarth_Koont

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:45 - Mar 27 by tractorboy1978

Sorry! You’re right. Just checked again and I miscounted.

17 games and we’re 3rd in the form table. Although the teams ahead and around us have been doing similar for double that time.

Either way, we need to do better against those other promotion teams and finish our chances if we’re going to finish in the top2 next season. We arguably dropped 5 points against Sunderland through poor finishing and should never have come out of those two games 3 points in arrears.

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:07 - Mar 27 with 2838 viewshomer_123

Back in Feb I said:

Remains as true now - this is pretty much it - for me at least - we create enough, we look more than solid enough. We just don't quite hit the back of the net enough.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:12 - Mar 27 with 2796 viewstractorboy1978

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:04 - Mar 27 by Darth_Koont

Sorry! You’re right. Just checked again and I miscounted.

17 games and we’re 3rd in the form table. Although the teams ahead and around us have been doing similar for double that time.

Either way, we need to do better against those other promotion teams and finish our chances if we’re going to finish in the top2 next season. We arguably dropped 5 points against Sunderland through poor finishing and should never have come out of those two games 3 points in arrears.

Yes definitely need to sharpen up in front of goal, but that should be fixed over the summer. We consistently dominate games in a manner that we haven't since Burley was in charge. Conceding 6 goals in 17 games is outrageous - we rarely have chances created against us. Plymouth are a side that had won 6 in a row without conceding and we made them look silly in the first half.
KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:13 - Mar 27 with 2798 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

over the 17 matches KM has been in charge, we are 3rd in the form table. But even that doesn't tell the whole story for 2 reasons: (i) we have taken draws when we really should have got the win more than once) and (ii) the losses were in his 3rd and 6th games in charge - before he had had time to get his coaching embedded, and we have been improving over the subsequent games. It is very telling what other managers are saying about us now. Karl Robinson said he hopes we don't get into the playoffs, as they couldn't find a way to handle us (esp Burns).

Two very winnable games upcoming, but we need Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Wycombe to drop points. If we win those two, then all of a sudden into games v Rotherham, who are wobbling, and Wigan, are massive. The thing that gives me hope is that I really believe now we are undoubtedly the best team in the league, and I think the players all believe that and are playing with total confidence. Dare I say it, I think it is gonna come down to little bits of luck - if we get a couple of breaks, whether that is other teams results, or decisions going our way, I think we can still do it. If we make the Play Offs, I would be more confident that in any other play offs we've been in.

Poll: would you rather

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:16 - Mar 27 with 2782 viewsDarth_Koont

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:07 - Mar 27 by homer_123

Back in Feb I said:

Remains as true now - this is pretty much it - for me at least - we create enough, we look more than solid enough. We just don't quite hit the back of the net enough.

Glad I don’t have to find him/them. On the basis of this season, you’d say Will Keane was a great shout. On the basis of last season, Pigott. And then what’s happened to Bonne after his flying start?

Strikers seem very luck based and it’s only afterwards you can work out whether you got the right player at the right time.

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:24 - Mar 27 with 2717 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:16 - Mar 27 by Darth_Koont

Glad I don’t have to find him/them. On the basis of this season, you’d say Will Keane was a great shout. On the basis of last season, Pigott. And then what’s happened to Bonne after his flying start?

Strikers seem very luck based and it’s only afterwards you can work out whether you got the right player at the right time.

Is part of the problem that the strikers cant get up quick enough to meet Burns' crosses? We seem to have had several crosses from the byline that just evade the toe of the striker steaming in. Maybe Kayden is the ideal striker, cos those crosses are tap ins if they can get there in time. Or maybe Wes needs to improve the accuracy of his final cross a bit more? Hard to find any criticism of Wes, but if there is one I think this is it.

Poll: would you rather

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:48 - Mar 27 with 2622 viewsIpswichKnight

We’ll be aiming at better strikers than them, championship and PL reserve would be my guess along with keeping Jackson.
KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:53 - Mar 27 with 2604 viewsDubtractor

No question that we need to be more clinical in the final third, and it isn't just about finishing chances, it is about creating better chances from the positions we get into.

That game yesterday should have been put to bed by half time, and it's far from the first time that has happened. We're talking about fine tuning a VERY effective system here though.

That we're so good defensively whilst still playing a very attacking style of play is really impressive though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:54 - Mar 27 with 2599 viewsitfcsuth

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:29 - Mar 27 by SheffordBlue

It wouldn't surprise me to see an Aluko/Carroll type striker signing. Older player with Prem experience. Not to be a regular starter but to have some real quality in the group and to be do a shift every now and then

I think you are right.

I saw somebody mention Shane Long, I think that could be a good fit - a workhorse leading the line, still looks in fantastic condition, would fit the dynamic, good presser KM seems to like leading the line.

Maybe Shane Long & Troy Parrott, as well as retaining Kayden Jackson.
KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:55 - Mar 27 with 2589 viewspointofblue

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:24 - Mar 27 by LegendofthePhoenix

Is part of the problem that the strikers cant get up quick enough to meet Burns' crosses? We seem to have had several crosses from the byline that just evade the toe of the striker steaming in. Maybe Kayden is the ideal striker, cos those crosses are tap ins if they can get there in time. Or maybe Wes needs to improve the accuracy of his final cross a bit more? Hard to find any criticism of Wes, but if there is one I think this is it.

My big issue is we seem to have so few options in the box when the ball is out wide - more often that not our attacking players are outnumbered by defenders by five or six players excluding the keeper. Maybe it’s our way of keeping it tight at the back but that’s the issue.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 18:36 - Mar 27 with 2447 viewsDarth_Koont

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:53 - Mar 27 by Dubtractor

No question that we need to be more clinical in the final third, and it isn't just about finishing chances, it is about creating better chances from the positions we get into.

That game yesterday should have been put to bed by half time, and it's far from the first time that has happened. We're talking about fine tuning a VERY effective system here though.

That we're so good defensively whilst still playing a very attacking style of play is really impressive though.

Absolutely!

It’s fine-tuning but arguably needing a different kind of player or two. We’ve played with 2 strikers in all sorts of combinations, and one striker as a targetman like Bonne, one striker as a runner like Jackson and one striker with Norwood who is a bit of both. Also with Chaplin as a support striker on occasions.

Not sure any have worked massively better than the others but get the right player or two to help us find a solid Plan A and a workable Plan B and I think we’d be flying.

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 18:57 - Mar 27 with 2345 viewsGlasgowBlue

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:43 - Mar 27 by Darth_Koont

2nd

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/daterange/fromdate:2

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 19:06 - Mar 27 with 2316 viewsNthQldITFC

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 16:35 - Mar 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

Plymouth had not conceded a single goal in the last 6 matches. As well as scoring, we created a number of other chances.

However, we didn't make their keeper make a difficult save and we do need to convert more of our play into shots on target. I think some of our decision making was wrong on when to shoot and when to pass/cross. I really don't think we are far away at all. Get it right over the last 6-9 matches of the season and we might be in the Championship next season.

As you say, we're not far away at all. It's not like something radical needs to be done, it's just that probably two players Bonne and/or Norwood and one more need to hit a rich vein of scoring all of a sudden. Both of those two have done it before, both have it well within them, and it's only a small thing for it suddenly to click for nine more games.

As to next season the attack needs refreshing, but it's a small change for it suddenly to click now.

Believe.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 19:15 - Mar 27 with 2304 viewsCoastalblue

I wouldn't be at all surprosed to see Jackson, a young Prem loanee and an experienced head, maybe dropping down a division as our frontline options next season.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 21:18 - Mar 27 with 2036 viewsDarth_Koont

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 18:57 - Mar 27 by GlasgowBlue

2nd

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/daterange/fromdate:2

3rd actually.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/form/matches:17/type

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 00:15 - Mar 28 with 1853 viewstextbackup

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 17:55 - Mar 27 by pointofblue

My big issue is we seem to have so few options in the box when the ball is out wide - more often that not our attacking players are outnumbered by defenders by five or six players excluding the keeper. Maybe it’s our way of keeping it tight at the back but that’s the issue.

i dont know about that, i had to watch on tv yesterday, and so many times the men out wide had 3/4 players to pick out arriving in the box, but the crosses were poor.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 10:51 - Mar 28 with 1591 viewsLower_North

KMac still has a bit to do with this team on 00:15 - Mar 28 by textbackup

i dont know about that, i had to watch on tv yesterday, and so many times the men out wide had 3/4 players to pick out arriving in the box, but the crosses were poor.

You're right Mr Backup.

How many times does Sir Wes Burns get in behind only to fire the bloody thing so hard across the box no one can get on the end of it? Pick a man out , cut it back.

PS He is my Player of the season BTW
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024