Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. 17:42 - Apr 25 with 419849 viewsEireannach_gorm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/25/evidence-ukraine-women-raped-befor

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-turned-a-bucha-building-into-an-execution-si
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:31 - Nov 16 with 5606 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 22:26 - Nov 15 by TeHuia

Tēnā koutou

"They’re next and know it. It’s dead simple."

The Domino Theory? You're kidding right?

"Stop Putin or face all this again further down the line."

To quote from a summary of
The Basic Principles of War Propaganda, (Anne Morelli, 2001).

Commandment no.3.
Our adversary's leader is inherently evil and resembles the devil
:

"You can not hate a group of people altogether, not even as your enemies. It is therefore more effective to direct the hatred to the leading personality of the enemy country. This way, "the enemy" will have a face, and this face will naturally become the object of hatred.

The enemy camp is most certainly run by a maniac, a monster (Milosevic, Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein), which challenges us and from which one must free humanity.

The first step in the process of demonization, according to Morelli, is the reduction of a whole country to a single person, as if nobody lived in Iraq, except Saddam Hussein with his "scary" Republican guards and his "frightful" weapons of mass destruction. The opponent is characterized by all conceivable ills and evils."

A handy argument indeed should anyone wish to "spare themselves the more difficult confrontation with the discourses of a political person and "refute" him on the basis of moral judgments".

The west is not ‘weaponising’. That term implies the west is tooling up an aggressor. It isn’t. It’s supplying materiel and expertise to help a smaller, weaker sovereign state try and defend itself against an aggressor that wants its territory and resources. What is immoral or wrong about that, unless you support Russia or you just want the problem to go away?

Commandment no.4.
We are defending a noble cause, not our particular interests!
:

Morelli analyzes that the economic and geopolitical goals of war must be masked by an ideal, by moral and legitimate values,

"It is necessary to persuade public opinion that we, unlike our enemies, go to war for infinitely honorable motives."

"For the Yugoslav war, we find the same deviation of the official goals from the unacknowledged goals of the conflict."

"NATO officially intervenes in order to preserve the multi-ethnic nature of Kosovo and in order to prevent minorities from being abused, in order to establish democracy and thus in order to end the rule of a dictator. It is in the defense of the sacred concerns of human rights.

But at the end of this war you can see that none of these goals have been achieved, you have moved remarkably far away from a multi - ethnic society, you realize that economic and geopolitical goals have been achieved that have never been never spoken of."

"Nuance seems to be a favoured word on here, but I’m struggling to find any in this or any justification in ‘negotiating’ with these animals."

Morelli adds: "The principle has a complement: that the enemy is a bloodthirsty monster representing a barbaric society."

Ka kite anō

I’m really not interested in what a philosopher has to say that supported bombings in the mid 80s that lead to injuries and death.

Perhaps you should enlighten the Baltic states, Finland, Poland and Sweden to save them the trouble and expense of defending themselves and in two cases joining NATO. Personally I believe they have every reason to be scared, but maybe you are blessed with knowledge that may help them.

The lessons of history are there for you. Plenty of them. You may accept or ignore them I’m sure for very good reasons. Up to you. Chamberlain and Daladier ignored those lessons in 1938 and we all know what happened next.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:05 - Nov 16 with 5528 viewsStokieBlue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:31 - Nov 16 by Churchman

I’m really not interested in what a philosopher has to say that supported bombings in the mid 80s that lead to injuries and death.

Perhaps you should enlighten the Baltic states, Finland, Poland and Sweden to save them the trouble and expense of defending themselves and in two cases joining NATO. Personally I believe they have every reason to be scared, but maybe you are blessed with knowledge that may help them.

The lessons of history are there for you. Plenty of them. You may accept or ignore them I’m sure for very good reasons. Up to you. Chamberlain and Daladier ignored those lessons in 1938 and we all know what happened next.

A poster who focuses only on one thread (apart from 2 posts 2 years ago) where they sow whatabouterry about Russia and it's actions.

Some CIL vibes coming through here.

SB
[Post edited 16 Nov 2022 9:22]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:34 - Nov 16 with 5508 viewsgiant_stow

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:05 - Nov 16 by StokieBlue

A poster who focuses only on one thread (apart from 2 posts 2 years ago) where they sow whatabouterry about Russia and it's actions.

Some CIL vibes coming through here.

SB
[Post edited 16 Nov 2022 9:22]

Its nice to see the old girl back on shift. Her absence made me fear the gulag might be at play.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:37 - Nov 16 with 5505 viewsStokieBlue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:34 - Nov 16 by giant_stow

Its nice to see the old girl back on shift. Her absence made me fear the gulag might be at play.

Why would you say that?

She posted some truly awful stuff on here. The cult of CIL was something very strange and it's sad to see you're a member.

However, this may not be them, just an interestingly similar style of prose.

SB
[Post edited 16 Nov 2022 9:42]

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:44 - Nov 16 with 5474 viewsgiant_stow

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:37 - Nov 16 by StokieBlue

Why would you say that?

She posted some truly awful stuff on here. The cult of CIL was something very strange and it's sad to see you're a member.

SB

Woo there Stokie! Light-hearted from me - not a full-on character reference!

The prose is very similar you're right (although I'm not the perfect one to judge as a barely literate).

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:02 - Nov 16 with 5405 viewsEireannach_gorm

Moving back to reality from the theoretical.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:40 - Nov 16 with 5366 viewsGlasgowBlue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:37 - Nov 16 by StokieBlue

Why would you say that?

SB

I'm not particularly comfortable seeing Russian propaganda being parroted on here whilst people are being murdered in Ukraine.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:20 - Nov 16 with 5289 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:40 - Nov 16 by GlasgowBlue

I'm not particularly comfortable seeing Russian propaganda being parroted on here whilst people are being murdered in Ukraine.

The flip side of that is people should be free to post what they believe and be challenged over it. It is fairly clear that the 2 or 3 posters attempting to justify or excuse or downplay Russia's actions have been unable to state any real case.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:20 - Nov 17 with 5222 viewsTeHuia

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:31 - Nov 16 by Churchman

I’m really not interested in what a philosopher has to say

*an historian

-

The Basic Principles of War Propaganda (Principes élémentaires de propagande de guerre) is a monograph by Anne Morelli published in 2001. It has not been translated into English. The subtitle recommends its "usability in case of cold, hot or lukewarm war" (Utilisables en cas de guerre froide, chaude ou tiède).

The ten "commandments" of propaganda which Anne Morelli elaborates in this work are, above all, an analytical framework for pedagogical purposes and for media analysis.

Morelli does not want to take sides or defend "dictators", but show the regularity of use of the ten principles in the media and in society:

"I will not put to test the purity of one or the other's intentions. I am not going to find out who is lying and who is telling the truth, who is believing what he says, and who does not. My only intention is to illustrate the principles of propaganda that are used and to describe their functioning."
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:20 - Nov 17 with 5222 viewsTeHuia

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:51 - Nov 15 by Trequartista

"Just waffle" lol. How convenient.

I see you've given up on trying to counter every point except the only bit I didn't reply to in your post, training all your fire on that. But why didn't I comment on it? Because I'd already given examples with the placement of NATO missiles getting closer to Russia's borders and US backed ousting of the pro-Russian president of Ukraine. Whether this consitutes provocation is a matter of opinion on which we differ, and that's fine, but i'm not hounding you for having that opinion as you are me.

I just posted another comment above so following on that, I think Commandment no.10 is in play here:

Whoever casts doubt on our propaganda helps the enemy and is a traitor

Whoever questions only one of the principles is necessarily a collaborator. There are only two areas, good and bad. You can only be for or against evil.

Therefore it is made impossible to give a dissenting opinion without running the risk of a "lynching process of the media". The normal pluralism of opinions no longer exists, all opposition is silenced and discredited by fake arguments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Basic_Principles_of_War_Propaganda
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:22 - Nov 17 with 5226 viewsSpruceMoose

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:20 - Nov 17 by TeHuia

I just posted another comment above so following on that, I think Commandment no.10 is in play here:

Whoever questions only one of the principles is necessarily a collaborator. There are only two areas, good and bad. You can only be for or against evil.

Therefore it is made impossible to give a dissenting opinion without running the risk of a "lynching process of the media". The normal pluralism of opinions no longer exists, all opposition is silenced and discredited by fake arguments.

What a week! CiL and Sprucey back!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:27 - Nov 17 with 5221 viewsKropotkin123

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:22 - Nov 17 by SpruceMoose

What a week! CiL and Sprucey back!

Welcome back. How are you doing?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:30 - Nov 17 with 5219 viewsSpruceMoose

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:27 - Nov 17 by Kropotkin123

Welcome back. How are you doing?

Good thanks!

Enjoying the season, enjoying the Republician flop in the midterm elections and enjoying how badly things must be going for Russia if dear old CiL has been reactivated to spread some rubbish propaganda!

Hope you're keeping well.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:49 - Nov 17 with 5208 viewsjeera

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:20 - Nov 17 by TeHuia

Pretty much every one of those main points made in that link go against Russia.

Given they've tried to use most of them in exactly the way it the article describes.

Right down to them not wanting war but are instead just protecting themselves.

Glad to know you can see through it after all.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 06:57 - Nov 17 with 5160 viewsTeHuia

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:49 - Nov 17 by jeera

Pretty much every one of those main points made in that link go against Russia.

Given they've tried to use most of them in exactly the way it the article describes.

Right down to them not wanting war but are instead just protecting themselves.

Glad to know you can see through it after all.

Yes they do, don't they.

Who would have thought that during wartime both sides resort to propaganda?
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 10:20 - Nov 17 with 5097 viewsGlasgowBlue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 00:30 - Nov 17 by SpruceMoose

Good thanks!

Enjoying the season, enjoying the Republician flop in the midterm elections and enjoying how badly things must be going for Russia if dear old CiL has been reactivated to spread some rubbish propaganda!

Hope you're keeping well.

You had to go and jinx it didn't you? The GOP have just won back control of the House from the Dems.

If our season now goes tits up we will know who to blame.

Anyway, welcome back Sprucey.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2022 10:20]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:29 - Nov 17 with 5026 viewsKropotkin123

You aren't casting doubt on "our propaganda", you are promoting Russia propaganda. You have done so by:
- Using phases and excuses Russia uses to justify their illegal war.
- Inaccurately referencing an opinion piece from the pope
- Incorrectly referencing an organisation that does not support your position.
- Providing a revised organisation whose information you demonstrated you didn't understand.
- Inferring your own opinion and passing it off as a fierce critic of US media and government critic
- Quoting a humourist who has been dead for over 100 years
- Linking people to theories of war propaganda on Wikipedia because you have demonstrated you can't engage with actual evidence.
- Choosing to ignore all evidence that contradicts your pre-formed opinion

Casting doubt on "our propaganda" requires you to actually engage with it.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2022 17:52]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:31 - Nov 17 with 5024 viewsStokieBlue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:29 - Nov 17 by Kropotkin123

You aren't casting doubt on "our propaganda", you are promoting Russia propaganda. You have done so by:
- Using phases and excuses Russia uses to justify their illegal war.
- Inaccurately referencing an opinion piece from the pope
- Incorrectly referencing an organisation that does not support your position.
- Providing a revised organisation whose information you demonstrated you didn't understand.
- Inferring your own opinion and passing it off as a fierce critic of US media and government critic
- Quoting a humourist who has been dead for over 100 years
- Linking people to theories of war propaganda on Wikipedia because you have demonstrated you can't engage with actual evidence.
- Choosing to ignore all evidence that contradicts your pre-formed opinion

Casting doubt on "our propaganda" requires you to actually engage with it.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2022 17:52]

It's straight out of the CIL playbook, it's far from the first time Russian propaganda has been "legitimised" on here.

SB

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 23:07 - Nov 17 with 4949 viewsEireannach_gorm

I normally post depressing and sad items but this one is quite funny.

The Irish PM, deputy PM, most of the Irish Cabinet, the Leader of the House and several other MPs have been banned from traveling to Russia because they have upset Vlad.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ireland-will-make-no-apology-as-rus
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 05:32 - Nov 18 with 4846 viewsKropotkin123

Interesting opinion piece on ISW from the Director of the Critical Threats Project on why negotiations with Russia are not desirable at this point.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/case-against-negotiations-russia

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 06:56 - Nov 18 with 4816 viewsTeHuia

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 07:19 - Nov 18 with 4809 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 05:32 - Nov 18 by Kropotkin123

Interesting opinion piece on ISW from the Director of the Critical Threats Project on why negotiations with Russia are not desirable at this point.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/case-against-negotiations-russia

Thanks for posting this. It articulates exactly how I think it is. It’s well worth reading.

I know people are tired of the killing, misery and economic hardship and desperately desire an end to it. But peace at any price, which actually means absorbing all Ukraine into Russia sooner or later, is no peace at all. Even if you agree with him that Ukraine is Russia really, he won’t stop there.

There are people that still try to excuse Putin, whether it’s buying into his belief that Ukraine is not a state, or that Russia is defending itself against the evil west or anything in between. The simple reality of what Putin has done over the years and will continue to do while he lives is there for all to see.

As the article says, there is only one solution and it’s not giving Putin any part of what he wants.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:36 - Nov 18 with 4704 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 06:56 - Nov 18 by TeHuia

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:28 - Nov 18 with 4649 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 23:07 - Nov 17 by Eireannach_gorm

I normally post depressing and sad items but this one is quite funny.

The Irish PM, deputy PM, most of the Irish Cabinet, the Leader of the House and several other MPs have been banned from traveling to Russia because they have upset Vlad.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ireland-will-make-no-apology-as-rus

I expect they are gutted. I am sure Russia was first choice for a Christmas break for them.

I spoke to 2 Ukrainians today one of whom is from the Donbas. She calmly said she has no home to go back to.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 08:04 - Nov 19 with 4861 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 07:19 - Nov 18 by Churchman

Thanks for posting this. It articulates exactly how I think it is. It’s well worth reading.

I know people are tired of the killing, misery and economic hardship and desperately desire an end to it. But peace at any price, which actually means absorbing all Ukraine into Russia sooner or later, is no peace at all. Even if you agree with him that Ukraine is Russia really, he won’t stop there.

There are people that still try to excuse Putin, whether it’s buying into his belief that Ukraine is not a state, or that Russia is defending itself against the evil west or anything in between. The simple reality of what Putin has done over the years and will continue to do while he lives is there for all to see.

As the article says, there is only one solution and it’s not giving Putin any part of what he wants.

As a postscript to this, there is more on BBC on Russian torture chambers and killings in the occupied areas. I’m sure one or two posters will be ‘even handed’ about it and enthusiastically buy the Russian line that they don’t do such things or target civilians.

However the evidence looks pretty overwhelming to me. From independent assessments, satellite images of graves, statements of survivors and evidence from those exhumed. Russia is engaged in terror. It is forcing its will upon Ukraine any way it can. I originally thought these actions were the product of badly trained, ill disciplined soldiers. There are plenty of people in this world that enjoy rape, torture and killing, but this appears systemic and encouraged by Putin’s people.

I get that people are terrified of Putin going nuclear (aren’t we all), but they have to be pushed out of Ukraine. All of it and held to account.

The apologists suck up Putin’s nonsense about Nato aggression. It isn’t and never has been. However I think it’s time to move from Ukraine life support (Biden’s policy) to helping a sovereign state more forcibly by telling Putin to return his air and naval assets in that area to Russian territory. A no fly zone and his navy in its own territorial waters.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024