Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Annual MOT to be scrapped 18:02 - Apr 27 with 4063 viewsgtsb1966

and moved to a two yearly test to save the motorist an average of £55 every other year is the latest government proposal. So for the sake of the motorist saving just over £1 a week the government are prepared to let potentially dangerous cars on the road. Can't say I agree with this proposal but many will.
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 08:56 - Apr 28 with 720 viewsSonOfSpock

I'm going to hazard a guess that £55 or possibly less is going to give diddly squat noticieble benefit to anybody taking into account petrol pumps, national insurance increases and energy bills.

All for show
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 09:34 - Apr 28 with 682 viewsEdwardStone

My vehicle is currently tested to see if it is fit to go on the road every year

There are very few fatalities caused by unroadworthy vehicles

I was tested when I was 17 ( many years ago) to see if I was skilled enough to drive on the road. I have not been re tested since.

Almost all fatalities on the road are caused by driver error.

Maybe we should test drivers every year, not the vehicles?

Or maybe every other year as a cost saving measure
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 09:40 - Apr 28 with 674 viewsmutters

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 09:34 - Apr 28 by EdwardStone

I was tested when I was 17 ( many years ago) to see if I was skilled enough to drive on the road. I have not been re tested since.

Very sensible post and I agree completely. Why we do not test drivers until they reach 70+ or they have had their license taken away don't know.

Saying that I suspect most if not all would fail due to bad habits etc, I know I would. We'd all need some sort of refresher course or do some online learning before being retested. People would moan about that being a tax on driving.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 10:40 - Apr 28 with 643 viewsRadlett_blue

Indeed, a typical, populist headline-catching move which will save a motorist all of £1 a week, while if it happens, there will also be administrative costs. And just wait for someone to have a serious accident driving a car with an MOT more than a year old & the media will have a field day.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 13:53 - Apr 28 with 607 viewsJ2BLUE

I suspect garages will soon introduce a mini service offering essentially the same thing for the same price and most people will go for that once they've logically broken it down to £0.50 a week.

Stupid policy from a government who are looking for anything to distract people, apart from things which would actually help.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 14:00 - Apr 28 with 605 viewsTJS

Stupid and dangerous idea.
I drove my 19 year old VW Polo to the end of it's MOT last year and scrapped it after that.
Whilst the annual MOT is annoying there is no way my car would have been safe on the road for another full year with nothing checked.
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 15:02 - Apr 28 with 590 viewsronnyd

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 23:38 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

I found it a very different approach in the US though - oil changes were routine (far more often than here) and there’d be seasonal changes to fluids and tyres (I suppose that only applies to those states that have proper winters. Our cars were looked at much more regularly than they are here in the UK, irrespective of any formal requirements.

What I don’t understand about this move is that the govt are justifying it saying people will save servicing costs. But they’re separate to the MOT anyway. Some people may not already service regularly and most with newer cars wouldn’t be able to change anyway as it’s a condition of warrantees. And many people won’t have cars anyway.

Seems a bit of a lazy, half baked plan to me. The cost of living crisis is due to the combined effect of Brexit, global shipping costs, fuel price rises and now more food rises due to the war in Ukraine. This idea does address any of those causes at all.

There are a hellova lot of drivers who think that the annual MOT IS a service.
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 15:03 - Apr 28 with 588 viewsN2_Blue

Pathetic

MOTs aren't the expense, general upkeep of cars in. The cars poorer households have unfortunately tend to be older and need more up keep

This just increases the amount of potentially dangerous cars on the road. It really is a crazy decision.

If they wanted to save the money for people why not half the fee of the MOT test??

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Login to get fewer ads

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 15:22 - Apr 28 with 569 viewsHARRY10

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:05 - Apr 27 by ZXBlue

utterly ridiculous. Reduce safety on the roads, increase pollution, put some garages and MOT centres in financial peril, for a few cheap votes.

It was only a suggestion, merely one that demonstrated how out of touch that lot are.

Much as the bleats that increased profits cannot be clawed back from oil companies etc as it would reduce their ability to invest.

All that would be needed is to take back the excess of what the recent rise has given through higher oil prices. This would then be used to offset the cost of the increase to the customer.

And companies hand these profits out as dividends, not hoarded to invest. That is funded through borrowing.

Businesses invest where they see profit as a return, not by withholding dividends.

Thankfully, the young tax dodger is now looking to do this
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 16:44]
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 15:29 - Apr 28 with 564 viewsclive_baker

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 06:42 - Apr 28 by Churchman

I’m in two minds on this really, but I shall nail my colours to the mast and say leave it as annual.

However, given that cars are so much better made than they were years ago, I would require MOTs from year five rather than year three as it is now.

I agree, perhaps it's not an either / or. Maybe it just needs to evolve and be a little more fit for purpose. Year 5 or maybe year 7 sounds reasonable. I do think it's a bit ridiculous that a 2018 car that's done 30k miles and been serviced regularly needs an MOT tbh. But the prospect of bangers on bald tyres makes me nervous. Of course that's still an illegal offence.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 17:23 - Apr 28 with 524 viewsRyorry

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 05:43 - Apr 28 by BigCommon

A service and MOT are completely different?..... My old van is regularly serviced. Hence the MOT is usually a waste of time and ££...
[Post edited 29 Apr 2022 12:48]

I always have both done at the same time (and often a pre-MOT too, to ensure a potential spell in dry dock is at a more convenient, rather than highly incovenient, time).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 17:25 - Apr 28 with 523 viewsZXBlue

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 09:34 - Apr 28 by EdwardStone

Surely, one of the reasons defective vehicles arent causes of issues, is that they are checked and not defective!?
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 17:26 - Apr 28 with 519 viewsZXBlue

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 15:29 - Apr 28 by clive_baker

I agree, perhaps it's not an either / or. Maybe it just needs to evolve and be a little more fit for purpose. Year 5 or maybe year 7 sounds reasonable. I do think it's a bit ridiculous that a 2018 car that's done 30k miles and been serviced regularly needs an MOT tbh. But the prospect of bangers on bald tyres makes me nervous. Of course that's still an illegal offence.

5 year old cars and 3 year old cars have shot tyres and brake pads....
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:10 - Apr 28 with 499 viewsChurchman

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 17:26 - Apr 28 by ZXBlue

5 year old cars and 3 year old cars have shot tyres and brake pads....

People with squealing brakes and bald tyres should have their cars taken off the road and be charged with some sort of offence. A car like that is a menace to others and part of ownership is spotting obvious stuff like that.

How about spot MOTs? In other words if a traffic offence is committed or a car with bald tyres is spotted, the car automatically has to go for an MOT at the owner’s cost.

Thoroughly impractical suggestions, but just ideas/thoughts.
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:11 - Apr 28 with 496 viewsZXBlue

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:10 - Apr 28 by Churchman

People with squealing brakes and bald tyres should have their cars taken off the road and be charged with some sort of offence. A car like that is a menace to others and part of ownership is spotting obvious stuff like that.

How about spot MOTs? In other words if a traffic offence is committed or a car with bald tyres is spotted, the car automatically has to go for an MOT at the owner’s cost.

How about just leaving a system which works fine alone?
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:20 - Apr 28 with 484 viewsCheltenham_Blue

"How about spot MOTs? In other words if a traffic offence is committed or a car with bald tyres is spotted, the car automatically has to go for an MOT at the owner’s cost."

Cheltenham_Blue approves this idea.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:25 - Apr 28 with 483 viewsfooters

How would that work? You'd need thousands of people monitoring vehicles up and down the country enforcing standards through mere observation. The costs would be huge and the results negligible.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2022 18:26]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:29 - Apr 28 with 475 viewsChurchman

Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:11 - Apr 28 by ZXBlue

How about just leaving a system which works fine alone?

Probably best. I was just throwing out ideas.
Annual MOT to be scrapped on 18:34 - Apr 28 with 469 viewsjas0999

Surely the answer is to subsidise the MOT and halve the price. So, the MOT is carried out yearly which is fundamental for safety, but the saving is realised over a two year period? Win, win?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024