Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Club v. Country - which comes first for you? 12:07 - Jun 6 with 1612 viewsFixed_It

Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 12:10 - Jun 6 with 1579 viewsJ2BLUE

Town. I love England at big tournaments but to be honest, Town winning a major trophy or getting back to the Prem would mean more to me than a world cup.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 12:21 - Jun 6 with 1529 viewsNthQldITFC

Club by a million miles. Anyone who says otherwise is a wrong 'un.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 12:28 - Jun 6 with 1493 viewsBlueBadger

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 12:21 - Jun 6 by NthQldITFC

Club by a million miles. Anyone who says otherwise is a wrong 'un.

You CHOOSE your club. You're stuck with your country.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 12:30 - Jun 6 with 1483 viewshoppy

As a fan, club 100%.

For players, I would imagine representing their country is possibly the pinnacle of their career, however much they love or have achieved success at their club(s).

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 12:33 - Jun 6 with 1473 viewsButterbing

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 12:28 - Jun 6 by BlueBadger

Not sure that’s true of everybody.I have always been a Town fan. All my family are. My first games were all Town games. I don’t think I ever chose it, I’m as stuck with Town as I am England. (Not that I regret it at all and Town comes first).
Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 13:25 - Jun 6 with 1347 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Club first - following England is just hope followed by disappointment and misery. Whereas following Ipswich… oh wait.
Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 13:48 - Jun 6 with 1316 viewsSTYG

I don't even feel like this is a question (and has little to do with my recent posts on the monarchy!).

For me, growing up watching England in 82, 86 and then in my 20's in 90, 96, 98 was just magical.

But for a long time watching the national team has been of little interest. I don't watch all the games and even during the Euro final, at the height of the pandemonium, I was not that upset during penalties. If that was Ipswich I'd have felt sick for days.

When Owen scored against Argentina in 98 I absolutely lost the plot. When we went 2-0 up against Germany last summer it was the most excited I'd been about England for a while but even then something was missing.

It's strange because arguably now we have a more diverse pool of talent, players being played on form and recognition often, not just sticking with the same United, Arsenal, Chelsea players irrespective of how much potential they were not delivering on.

Southgate is more likeable than many managers we've had, individually I have so much time for most of our players (whereas I used to really dislike Terry and a few others) but maybe it's just getting older or the fact we seem to play every other week at International level.

On a really basic level I don't think it's helping missing Motty, Brian Moore, Tyldsley etc and having people like Sam Whatshisface.
Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 14:15 - Jun 6 with 1268 viewsN2_Blue

Not true at all.

People change citizen ship or have joint so effectively could choose to follow another nation.

I'd say 'real' football supporters, i.e. those that actually go to games you don't choose your club but are usually born into it.

Club normally wins v country for any supporters of clubs that don't have constant success.

As someone else said, if you don't put club first you ate probably a wrong un. Great if England win a tournament but 2 weeks later i couldn't give a sh*t. If Town win something, even a promotion it sticks with me forever.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Login to get fewer ads

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 14:19 - Jun 6 with 1251 viewsSTYG

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 14:15 - Jun 6 by N2_Blue

Not true at all.

People change citizen ship or have joint so effectively could choose to follow another nation.

I'd say 'real' football supporters, i.e. those that actually go to games you don't choose your club but are usually born into it.

Club normally wins v country for any supporters of clubs that don't have constant success.

As someone else said, if you don't put club first you ate probably a wrong un. Great if England win a tournament but 2 weeks later i couldn't give a sh*t. If Town win something, even a promotion it sticks with me forever.

Surely that's got to be the case for any proper fan that goes to matches or follows their team.

The mates I know that go mad over England are the same ones who picked Liverpool at school or United or Arsenal later on and have only watched them on the TV.

I can see there why your country would be higher or equal to a random town or city you chose, but for any proper fan there's no competition. Arguably the only dynamic you could make a case for would be the scenes across the whole of somewhere like London if that's where you're from, that you wouldn't see for club success.
Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 14:19 - Jun 6 with 1249 viewsPendejo

If they were both playing at the same time then club, otherwise there is no clash or split loyalties.

Ok to be club and country... Used to be easier when there were at least 3 town players regularly starting for England.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 20:48 - Jun 6 with 984 viewsChateauWines

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 13:48 - Jun 6 by STYG

I don't even feel like this is a question (and has little to do with my recent posts on the monarchy!).

For me, growing up watching England in 82, 86 and then in my 20's in 90, 96, 98 was just magical.

But for a long time watching the national team has been of little interest. I don't watch all the games and even during the Euro final, at the height of the pandemonium, I was not that upset during penalties. If that was Ipswich I'd have felt sick for days.

When Owen scored against Argentina in 98 I absolutely lost the plot. When we went 2-0 up against Germany last summer it was the most excited I'd been about England for a while but even then something was missing.

It's strange because arguably now we have a more diverse pool of talent, players being played on form and recognition often, not just sticking with the same United, Arsenal, Chelsea players irrespective of how much potential they were not delivering on.

Southgate is more likeable than many managers we've had, individually I have so much time for most of our players (whereas I used to really dislike Terry and a few others) but maybe it's just getting older or the fact we seem to play every other week at International level.

On a really basic level I don't think it's helping missing Motty, Brian Moore, Tyldsley etc and having people like Sam Whatshisface.

It's a question that I have found more thought provoking than I expected. My initial gut instinct was England because its our country. But on reflection Ipswich being successful again would bring me more lasting joy. I don't know if being so far from Premier League has made the star ayers so detached. I rarely watch England and get bored , yet this young side is full of hope. The answer is IPSWICH

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 21:56 - Jun 6 with 924 viewsChurchman

I love my country and want us to hammer everybody. But sorry, if it’s a choice between ITFC getting a point or England never winning again, club comes first. Always did, always will.
Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 21:58 - Jun 6 with 913 viewsVeggie

Unless you’re David Johnson
Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 22:14 - Jun 6 with 896 viewsSwansea_Blue

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 12:30 - Jun 6 by hoppy

As a fan, club 100%.

For players, I would imagine representing their country is possibly the pinnacle of their career, however much they love or have achieved success at their club(s).

Yeah, it is.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 22:55 - Jun 6 with 852 viewsNthQldITFC

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 21:58 - Jun 6 by Veggie

Unless you’re David Johnson

There's too bloody much choosing of countries these days, imho. Can't remember what sport or original country, but I heard on the wireless today of somebody 'changing allegiance' to the UK. Makes a mockery of international sport. The rules are too lax and slanted towards rich countries buying success imgo (in my grumpy opinion). Loadabolllocks.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 23:03 - Jun 6 with 837 viewsOldsmoker

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 22:55 - Jun 6 by NthQldITFC

There's too bloody much choosing of countries these days, imho. Can't remember what sport or original country, but I heard on the wireless today of somebody 'changing allegiance' to the UK. Makes a mockery of international sport. The rules are too lax and slanted towards rich countries buying success imgo (in my grumpy opinion). Loadabolllocks.

Couldn't agree more.
When the civil war starts (Oh yea - it's gonna), the '6 fingers good, 5 fingers bad' army from Norfolk descend on the the promised land of Suffolk then we'll see who's chosen club over country.

Me? I'll be safe in Bristol.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 08:47 - Jun 7 with 700 viewsDJR

Supporting Scotland and Ipswich, there hasn't been much in the way of success these last 20 years. Things were different when I was a teenager in the 70s because both teams were relatively successful then. In a fantasy world, my dream would be for Scotland to win the World Cup (especially as Ipswich have already won the League, FA Cup and a European trophy), but as that is never going to happen, I'm happy to rest all my hopes on Ipswich.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2022 8:50]
Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 09:07 - Jun 7 with 670 viewshammo56

I can’t put one before the other. Followed England home and away for 20+ years but decided to call it a day after the Euro final. Been lucky enough to have been at Wembley to see Town win the FA Cup and Playoff final as well as the UEFA Cup.
I will be happy if either can win something again before I pop my clogs.
Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 10:00 - Jun 7 with 630 viewsHipsterectomy

I wonder if there will be legal issues if players get bad injuries at the world cup in the middle of the season. I remember West Ham getting an insurance pay off from the FA for a career-ending injury to Dean Ashton whilst with England.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Club v. Country - which comes first for you? on 10:13 - Jun 7 with 613 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

If you offered me ITFC winning league one this year or England winning the World Cup, Ipswich all day.

Id rather us beat Norwich than England win the world cup.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024