Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned 15:23 - Jun 24 with 5223 viewsElderGrizzly

Over half of US states will make abortion illegal almost immediately

Just after this yesterday

[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 15:26]
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 21:00 - Jun 24 with 1125 viewsElderGrizzly

This sums it up well. What a mess

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 21:02 - Jun 24 with 1117 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 20:57 - Jun 24 by ZXBlue

How many are people entitled to- not the lucky ones who have managed to agree a good contract.

Your first para is just silly and evasive.

Well the service industry is very different in the US compared to the UK and many people have done very well out of it, whether it’s a job during their education, a side hustle to save extra cash or a career in a high end steak restaurant where you can make $100k.

All companies are different. It’s not like everyone over here starts you out on ten days.

The wages are also higher in many lines or work but the COL can be as well, depending on where you are living.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 21:25 - Jun 24 with 1081 viewsElderGrizzly

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 15:48 - Jun 24 by tractordownsouth

Exactly. It's not about being pro-life, it's about controlling women's bodies.

Yep. Literally they’d rather women die

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 22:24 - Jun 24 with 1032 viewsBlueBadger

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 21:02 - Jun 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Well the service industry is very different in the US compared to the UK and many people have done very well out of it, whether it’s a job during their education, a side hustle to save extra cash or a career in a high end steak restaurant where you can make $100k.

All companies are different. It’s not like everyone over here starts you out on ten days.

The wages are also higher in many lines or work but the COL can be as well, depending on where you are living.

The key thing there is 'can be'. It shouldn't be 'can'. That's the thing we get wrong in both the US AND the UK. Service jobs are viewed as menial and low end, rather than skilled and valued, as they are in the continent.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 22:28]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 22:27 - Jun 24 with 1030 viewsBlueBadger

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 17:49 - Jun 24 by MattinLondon

They are all odious individuals but I doubt that there is much desire to pick that particular fight. They will stick with their trusted targets - the EU, foreigners and refugees to enthuse their idiotic supporters.

It wouldn't be front and centre, like in the US but I would genuinely not be surprised if it found it's way into the next Tory manifesto.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 22:45 - Jun 24 with 1012 viewsWicklowBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 21:02 - Jun 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

This! The key piece here is a completely different approach to the service industry in the US.

While tipping is optional or just a couple of euro/poundss to say thanks for a great meal/service etc here in Ireland and the UK. (Where most of these tips go into a shared pot to be equally divided out at the end of the week/month etc)

In the US the whole culture around tipping is different. There are no service charges at all, so basically the tips you receive go into your pocket. Whether you agree or not this has been the way in the US for years and years. In a way it actually promotes a culture of customer service where if you delight your clients you get heavy tips. It also means as JJJJ says that you can move up the ladder and land jobs at top end restaurants where you can make great money.

If you got to a bar in the US and buy a beer it's expected to throw a dollar at the bar man/person. If you don't tip approx 20% expect to be asked why and have some very disappointed annoyed people asking you what was wrong with their service.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 22:55 - Jun 24 with 1001 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 22:24 - Jun 24 by BlueBadger

The key thing there is 'can be'. It shouldn't be 'can'. That's the thing we get wrong in both the US AND the UK. Service jobs are viewed as menial and low end, rather than skilled and valued, as they are in the continent.

You’re probably correct in some respects but I was just trying to point out that there is quite a lot of money to be made in those jobs here if you’re in the right spot.

When I lived in California I was friends with a girl who hated sports but used to love working Sunday’s during the football season as she would make around $700 in one shift on tips. That’s not a bad one day a week job for some people.

Then on regular nights she would average $200-400 depending how busy it was. I’m not sure raising the minimum wage to $22 would have helped her earn more for a side job.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 23:17]
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 23:04 - Jun 24 with 994 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 22:45 - Jun 24 by WicklowBlue

This! The key piece here is a completely different approach to the service industry in the US.

While tipping is optional or just a couple of euro/poundss to say thanks for a great meal/service etc here in Ireland and the UK. (Where most of these tips go into a shared pot to be equally divided out at the end of the week/month etc)

In the US the whole culture around tipping is different. There are no service charges at all, so basically the tips you receive go into your pocket. Whether you agree or not this has been the way in the US for years and years. In a way it actually promotes a culture of customer service where if you delight your clients you get heavy tips. It also means as JJJJ says that you can move up the ladder and land jobs at top end restaurants where you can make great money.

If you got to a bar in the US and buy a beer it's expected to throw a dollar at the bar man/person. If you don't tip approx 20% expect to be asked why and have some very disappointed annoyed people asking you what was wrong with their service.

Everyone else know better though apparently and tells them what they would all prefer!

Unless going to a really decent place the service in the UK is often quite bad IMO. Usually have to ask for water for the table and pubs are kind of half table service half not. I’m fine with people bringing beers to me, talking with a smile and not waiting in a 5 minute Q at the bar to pay my tab.

Plus servers will make an effort to get to know their clientele here and really look after repeat customers. It’s nice to have a friendly face if nipping in for quick pint on the way home.

Obviously I know regulars get looked after in the UK but I do prefer the service stateside by some margin.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 23:07]
Login to get fewer ads

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 23:06 - Jun 24 with 992 viewsWicklowBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 22:24 - Jun 24 by BlueBadger

Sorry BB I disagree, you cannot label an entire service sector as menial or unvalued.

Yes many service jobs are low end, but equally students fill those to pay their UNI fees etc. There are very many well paid service jobs too. Like other jobs there is a ladder you can climb up.

For example, my first ever trip to the US in 2000 with my ex back then, we went to San Fran and stayed with her cousin in Sausalito which was at least then a very expensive place to live. Her cousin had a nice place she was renting a few blocks from Clint's No Name Bar and where Robin Williams lived at the time. I can't remember the bar at that time that Robin used to go and have drinks along with having impromtu stand ups.

Anyhow, she was a waitress in a good restaurant in the city and held down a really good wage. So I don't think it is accurate to group all service jobs as menial they most certainly are not in the US. Like other sectors if you are skilled at your job you can make really good money.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 23:17 - Jun 24 with 980 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 23:06 - Jun 24 by WicklowBlue

Sorry BB I disagree, you cannot label an entire service sector as menial or unvalued.

Yes many service jobs are low end, but equally students fill those to pay their UNI fees etc. There are very many well paid service jobs too. Like other jobs there is a ladder you can climb up.

For example, my first ever trip to the US in 2000 with my ex back then, we went to San Fran and stayed with her cousin in Sausalito which was at least then a very expensive place to live. Her cousin had a nice place she was renting a few blocks from Clint's No Name Bar and where Robin Williams lived at the time. I can't remember the bar at that time that Robin used to go and have drinks along with having impromtu stand ups.

Anyhow, she was a waitress in a good restaurant in the city and held down a really good wage. So I don't think it is accurate to group all service jobs as menial they most certainly are not in the US. Like other sectors if you are skilled at your job you can make really good money.

A lot of them comfortably clear a few grand a week. In the high end bars and restaurants, it’s is insane the money that can be made.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 23:24 - Jun 24 with 975 viewsWicklowBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 23:04 - Jun 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Everyone else know better though apparently and tells them what they would all prefer!

Unless going to a really decent place the service in the UK is often quite bad IMO. Usually have to ask for water for the table and pubs are kind of half table service half not. I’m fine with people bringing beers to me, talking with a smile and not waiting in a 5 minute Q at the bar to pay my tab.

Plus servers will make an effort to get to know their clientele here and really look after repeat customers. It’s nice to have a friendly face if nipping in for quick pint on the way home.

Obviously I know regulars get looked after in the UK but I do prefer the service stateside by some margin.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 23:07]

Pre pandemic I traveled over to the US for work at least 2-3 times a year. Each time I had my favourite places to eat have beers etc. Despite not being a weekly regular, I'd rock up 6+ months later to grab a beer or a meal and think to myself not doubt the staff have changed, moved on to other things. Completely wrong, I'd go take a seat at the bar and order a beer and be welcomed back by name. Then when they had time came over to chat and catch up as to how things were going.

Agree customer service is far superior in the US at least where I visit for work.

However this is derailing this thread and the OP. Just wanted to dispel some preconceived notions.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 23:35 - Jun 24 with 969 viewsStokieBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 23:17 - Jun 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

A lot of them comfortably clear a few grand a week. In the high end bars and restaurants, it’s is insane the money that can be made.

This is revisionist rubbish though isn't it.

You are selecting the top 0.1% of cases and then forming your entire argument based on that case. What about the people who work in 99s at 3 dollars an hour? You claim they don't want a better wage with benefits but it's rubbish. You don't live that life or really have a clue.

For someone who is allegedly doing OK I'll once again say you have absolutely no empathy to those who might be struggling. I couldn't care less about the 0.1% of genetically lucky people who are pretty enough to gracing those bars as service staff, I'm more worried about the other 99.9% who have to struggle to get by on crap wages unless someone like you deems it right to give them a tip.

The disconnect with reality is quite astonishing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 23:42 - Jun 24 with 963 viewsZXBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 23:35 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

You are selecting the top 0.1% of cases and then forming your entire argument based on that case. What about the people who work in 99s at 3 dollars an hour? You claim they don't want a better wage with benefits but it's rubbish. You don't live that life or really have a clue.

For someone who is allegedly doing OK I'll once again say you have absolutely no empathy to those who might be struggling. I couldn't care less about the 0.1% of genetically lucky people who are pretty enough to gracing those bars as service staff, I'm more worried about the other 99.9% who have to struggle to get by on crap wages unless someone like you deems it right to give them a tip.

SB

This.

You will note he never said how much holiday he was entitled to if he hadnt been in a position to negotiate a contract.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:04 - Jun 25 with 948 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 23:35 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

SB

Oh just the 0.1% is it?

You’re such an expert on everything in America aren’t you, maybe you should come over here take me for a beer and tell me how it really is for everyone working in the service industry. I have family here that are in the restaurant business for many years and their employees are looked after and do very well.

All I was doing was telling you some feedback from friends that had those jobs and cleared good money. Not all fancy steak houses, regular dive bars that show sport on a Sunday, you may have read my example. A lot of people do it when they study and a lot do it on the side because there is money to be made through tips in the states. You might hate that concept, not everyone does.

Also to address your comment “Unless someone like me deems to give them a tip?” I think you might be a little more disconnected than you realize on how it actually works.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 0:11]
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:10 - Jun 25 with 940 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 23:42 - Jun 24 by ZXBlue

This.

You will note he never said how much holiday he was entitled to if he hadnt been in a position to negotiate a contract.

Not sure why I owe you as explanation of my companies HR policy or why you’d think I’d want people in America to have less time off? I’m not arguing that it’s a better system for employee benefits was merely pointing the differences in the service industry between the UK/US in this thread.

There’s companies that now offer unlimited time off in America if you get the job done, there’s some that give very little but they won’t be very competitive in their hiring. I’d like to see everyone have minimum of 20 days.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:11 - Jun 25 with 941 viewsStokieBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:04 - Jun 25 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Oh just the 0.1% is it?

You’re such an expert on everything in America aren’t you, maybe you should come over here take me for a beer and tell me how it really is for everyone working in the service industry. I have family here that are in the restaurant business for many years and their employees are looked after and do very well.

All I was doing was telling you some feedback from friends that had those jobs and cleared good money. Not all fancy steak houses, regular dive bars that show sport on a Sunday, you may have read my example. A lot of people do it when they study and a lot do it on the side because there is money to be made through tips in the states. You might hate that concept, not everyone does.

Also to address your comment “Unless someone like me deems to give them a tip?” I think you might be a little more disconnected than you realize on how it actually works.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 0:11]

Yes, in your "high end places" it's just the 0.1%. If you want to make a general case then perhaps you should be more accurate with what you write.

Half of my family are American so I have a very good idea of how things work, nice of you to attempt to pull the "appeal to authority fallacy" again though - twice in a few days isn't a great look.

If anyone is disconnected from reality it's the person who posted that covid should have been allowed to run rife for the benefit of the industry they work in. That post was an embarrassment as the subsequent 40 votes for my response showed yet your still here a few days later telling everyone how the world should work. It's quote an astounding level of arrogance.

Hilarious that you think it's me that is disconnected from reality.

SB

Edit: It's also not a great look to have derailed this thread entirely from the important issue it was originally discussing.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 0:18]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:18 - Jun 25 with 904 viewsfactual_blue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 21:00 - Jun 24 by ElderGrizzly

This sums it up well. What a mess

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:22 - Jun 25 with 894 viewsZXBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:10 - Jun 25 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Not sure why I owe you as explanation of my companies HR policy or why you’d think I’d want people in America to have less time off? I’m not arguing that it’s a better system for employee benefits was merely pointing the differences in the service industry between the UK/US in this thread.

There’s companies that now offer unlimited time off in America if you get the job done, there’s some that give very little but they won’t be very competitive in their hiring. I’d like to see everyone have minimum of 20 days.

Because you seem to be picking a top batch of cases to defend a nation which is an absolute fecking mess.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:42 - Jun 25 with 883 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:11 - Jun 25 by StokieBlue

Yes, in your "high end places" it's just the 0.1%. If you want to make a general case then perhaps you should be more accurate with what you write.

Half of my family are American so I have a very good idea of how things work, nice of you to attempt to pull the "appeal to authority fallacy" again though - twice in a few days isn't a great look.

If anyone is disconnected from reality it's the person who posted that covid should have been allowed to run rife for the benefit of the industry they work in. That post was an embarrassment as the subsequent 40 votes for my response showed yet your still here a few days later telling everyone how the world should work. It's quote an astounding level of arrogance.

Hilarious that you think it's me that is disconnected from reality.

SB

Edit: It's also not a great look to have derailed this thread entirely from the important issue it was originally discussing.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 0:18]

You’re lying aren’t you though? I didn’t say Covid should be allowed to run rife to benefit my industry. I said a lot of restrictions didn’t make sense and weren’t working, with some examples of that, just like many other people have done. I didn’t mention tips, someone else did and I pointed something out that you jumped all over it as well.

Not sure it’s an appeal to authority when I’ve lived here a decade and had a lot of friends who have worked in bars and restaurants. My family is in the business and they look after their employees just like many other independent chains do.

I mean I was fairly clear in what in write when providing real life examples in earlier posts.

Just like many others on here you can’t leave it and then go off on me detailing things. I’m allowed an opinion as well and was speaking on experience from friends who had done well from that lifestyle and industry. I’m sure you know best though.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:45 - Jun 25 with 879 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:22 - Jun 25 by ZXBlue

Because you seem to be picking a top batch of cases to defend a nation which is an absolute fecking mess.

It’s not really my job to defend a nation, thankfully!

America has all sorts of problems and is complex land there is no doubt about that. The original topic of this thread obviously shines a bright light on that.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:47 - Jun 25 with 878 viewsZXBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:45 - Jun 25 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

It’s not really my job to defend a nation, thankfully!

America has all sorts of problems and is complex land there is no doubt about that. The original topic of this thread obviously shines a bright light on that.

Its not just complex, its a disgrace.

Sad to say it, but the way in which people there seem not to recognise just how out of step they are, is frightening. Esepcially given their economic and military power.

We have a supoerpower fundamentalist religous state in the making.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:59 - Jun 25 with 870 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 00:47 - Jun 25 by ZXBlue

Its not just complex, its a disgrace.

Sad to say it, but the way in which people there seem not to recognise just how out of step they are, is frightening. Esepcially given their economic and military power.

We have a supoerpower fundamentalist religous state in the making.

On this issue, I happen to agree it is disgraceful.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 09:45 - Jun 25 with 761 viewsunbelievablue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:55 - Jun 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Spot on.

As much as I despise the idea of woman’s reproductive rights going back to the dark ages in certain states, there does seem to be a lack of basic understanding by many elements of what was actually decided on in the SC.

It’s fairly shocking that at any state would really consider this normal though in 2022 but America is weird and really isn’t one country, at all.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 18:56]

"There does seem to be a lack of basic understanding by many elements of what was actually decided on in the SC"

Let's call it what it is: an ideologically driven decision by SCJs who literally lied under oath about their intentions relating to Roe vs. Wade during the nomination process. 50 years isn't precedent to keep something, but they knew exactly what they were doing, and they knew exactly what the consequences will be. It's a disgrace.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 9:51]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 09:57 - Jun 25 with 752 viewssolomon

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 16:51 - Jun 24 by MattinLondon

I believe I’m correct in saying that it’s a commonly held belief that the settlers on the Mayflower left England because they wanted to escape persecution. Rather, they left because England had religious freedom (by the standards of the day).

I could be wrong, I’m routinely am.

Sounds like one for Guthrum to me?

This whole story is saddening to the core, a country that saw the birth of the civil rights movement and the counter culture of the 60’s and 70’s seems utterly lost to history, the way was ultimately lost from Reagan onwards.,
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 10:05 - Jun 25 with 739 viewsunbelievablue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 09:57 - Jun 25 by solomon

Sounds like one for Guthrum to me?

This whole story is saddening to the core, a country that saw the birth of the civil rights movement and the counter culture of the 60’s and 70’s seems utterly lost to history, the way was ultimately lost from Reagan onwards.,

I always thought it was because the majority were part of the English Separatist Church and they feared (rightly or wrongly) that they would be subject to religious persecution if they continued practising. Obviously, in reality, there was likely a wide range of motivations.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024