Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned 15:23 - Jun 24 with 5225 viewsElderGrizzly

Over half of US states will make abortion illegal almost immediately

Just after this yesterday

[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 15:26]
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 17:49 - Jun 24 with 700 viewsMattinLondon

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 17:40 - Jun 24 by BlueBadger

There's a fair few loons(Dorries, Rees-Mogg and J Rhyming -Slang, to name but three)who will be monitoring this closely.

They are all odious individuals but I doubt that there is much desire to pick that particular fight. They will stick with their trusted targets - the EU, foreigners and refugees to enthuse their idiotic supporters.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:09 - Jun 24 with 660 viewsfactual_blue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 16:42 - Jun 24 by BlueBadger

...And the most rabidly opposed to gun control. Almost as if this isn't about being 'pro life '.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 16:45]

You can't destroy foetuses. They have to be allowed to grow into teenagers.

And then shot in their school classrooms.

Common senses innit?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:12 - Jun 24 with 661 viewsjeera

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:09 - Jun 24 by factual_blue

You can't destroy foetuses. They have to be allowed to grow into teenagers.

And then shot in their school classrooms.

Common senses innit?

Those poor children murdered recently were around ten years old so not even teens.

But the gun lobby don't care. Apparently we have mass stabbings here and should mind our own business though.

If one is of sound mind and living over there, it must all be too frustrating to put into words.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:13 - Jun 24 with 653 viewsfactual_blue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:12 - Jun 24 by jeera

Those poor children murdered recently were around ten years old so not even teens.

But the gun lobby don't care. Apparently we have mass stabbings here and should mind our own business though.

If one is of sound mind and living over there, it must all be too frustrating to put into words.

I think it's already been pointed out the the nra convention going on in Texas at the same time as the last shootings had a ban on guns in the conference hall.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:20 - Jun 24 with 646 viewsjeera

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:13 - Jun 24 by factual_blue

I think it's already been pointed out the the nra convention going on in Texas at the same time as the last shootings had a ban on guns in the conference hall.

It's almost as though they value their own lives more.

I don't follow this stuff closely at all but can hazard a guess there's profit at the core of this rather than real strong feelings that regular everyday folk should be allowed to carry murderous weapons on the street.

Do gun manufacturers sponsor the NRA or is that a stupid question?

It's a stupid question isn't it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:38 - Jun 24 with 632 viewsOldsmoker

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 16:12 - Jun 24 by BlueBadger

I'm just hearing that the Taliban have issued a statement in support of the US High Court.

If US politicians feel they have to bend to the demands of christian fundamentalists to get votes and stay in power then they'll do just that.
I don't think the US will ever be as fundamental as Afghanistan.
However, maybe the US is becoming more like Iran. It has a large population of liberal-leaning young people but is run by the old establishment of strict religious leaders.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:42 - Jun 24 with 625 viewsStokieBlue

“This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice in it and be glad. Today, along with millions across Louisiana and America, I rejoice with my departed Mom and the unborn children with her in Heaven!”

What can you even say to that?

The words of Louisiana attorney general Jeff Landry.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:45 - Jun 24 with 617 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 15:43 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

The US is on the road to being a failed state. The actions around this and guns are sickening.

They have absolutely no legitimacy to look down on other countries anymore.

Fine for states to decide on abortion but not on gun regulation. Ridiculous.

SB
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 15:49]

Well the laws regarding gun regulation are vastly different across the different states, so that’s not entirely true or how the constitution works. I assume you’re talking about states being able to impose a blanket gun ban at state level? That will never happen with 2A. Most guns that kill people are not legally obtained, at this point there are just far too many guns in this country as we reminded by the sickening events daily.
Login to get fewer ads

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:46 - Jun 24 with 619 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 16:38 - Jun 24 by J2BLUE

America has gone from the country I want to visit most and a country I thought was amazing to a country that absolutely terrifies me. Not just this but the realisation there are a hell of lot of Americans with no health insurance working for $5 an hour and tips or equally crap per hour salaries that do not allow them to buy the basics.

American Dream my arse.

The scenery would still be good. Socially it has been terrifying for decades. Looks like Trump won!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:46 - Jun 24 with 617 viewsChurchman

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 16:56 - Jun 24 by HighgateBlue

Why is the ruling strange? I think if one were to look at the. US Constitution afresh, without ever having heard of Roe v Wade, it would be a fairly natural interpretation to say that a document that makes no reference to abortion does not prevent democratic legislatures making laws on abortion.

Now, I'm very sad indeed (and not a little angry) that Mississippi wants to enact such strict limits on abortion, but the ruling is just that the US Constitution does not prevent the legislature from making a law restricting abortion. The ruling is not that states must ban abortion, or should ban abortion, or that there should be tighter controls on abortion.

I pray our government doesn't go down the same road as Mississippi, and despite the fact that I hate this government, I don't think for a minute they will. But if they did, and got legislation through parliament, what element of our constitution would stop that? I can't see that our constitution contains anything remotely similar to what Roe v Wade embodied. If the Americans are being outrageous savages, as many claim, it's not because of the Supreme Court's interpretation of the constitution, it's because of the decision of state legislatures to enact horribly restrictive laws.

Strange to me in my ignorance of the America constitution, the ruling and how it might be implemented.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:48 - Jun 24 with 617 viewsOldsmoker

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:42 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

“This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice in it and be glad. Today, along with millions across Louisiana and America, I rejoice with my departed Mom and the unborn children with her in Heaven!”

What can you even say to that?

The words of Louisiana attorney general Jeff Landry.

SB

I'd like to ask Landry what he thinks those unborn children in heaven actually look like.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:49 - Jun 24 with 609 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 16:38 - Jun 24 by J2BLUE

America has gone from the country I want to visit most and a country I thought was amazing to a country that absolutely terrifies me. Not just this but the realisation there are a hell of lot of Americans with no health insurance working for $5 an hour and tips or equally crap per hour salaries that do not allow them to buy the basics.

American Dream my arse.

Slightly off topic to the important conversations in this thread but you’d be surprised about “the tips” thing. A lot of workers are very pro the tipping culture because they make an awful lot of money, you’d be surprised.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:55 - Jun 24 with 601 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 16:56 - Jun 24 by HighgateBlue

Why is the ruling strange? I think if one were to look at the. US Constitution afresh, without ever having heard of Roe v Wade, it would be a fairly natural interpretation to say that a document that makes no reference to abortion does not prevent democratic legislatures making laws on abortion.

Now, I'm very sad indeed (and not a little angry) that Mississippi wants to enact such strict limits on abortion, but the ruling is just that the US Constitution does not prevent the legislature from making a law restricting abortion. The ruling is not that states must ban abortion, or should ban abortion, or that there should be tighter controls on abortion.

I pray our government doesn't go down the same road as Mississippi, and despite the fact that I hate this government, I don't think for a minute they will. But if they did, and got legislation through parliament, what element of our constitution would stop that? I can't see that our constitution contains anything remotely similar to what Roe v Wade embodied. If the Americans are being outrageous savages, as many claim, it's not because of the Supreme Court's interpretation of the constitution, it's because of the decision of state legislatures to enact horribly restrictive laws.

Spot on.

As much as I despise the idea of woman’s reproductive rights going back to the dark ages in certain states, there does seem to be a lack of basic understanding by many elements of what was actually decided on in the SC.

It’s fairly shocking that at any state would really consider this normal though in 2022 but America is weird and really isn’t one country, at all.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 18:56]
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 19:05 - Jun 24 with 584 viewsStokieBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:45 - Jun 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Well the laws regarding gun regulation are vastly different across the different states, so that’s not entirely true or how the constitution works. I assume you’re talking about states being able to impose a blanket gun ban at state level? That will never happen with 2A. Most guns that kill people are not legally obtained, at this point there are just far too many guns in this country as we reminded by the sickening events daily.

"Well the laws regarding gun regulation are vastly different across the different states, so that’s not entirely true or how the constitution works. I assume you’re talking about states being able to impose a blanket gun ban at state level? That will never happen with 2A."

Well they could have if the supreme court hadn't stepped in. The court has allowed the banning of abortions at a state level but prevented the banning of guns at the state level.

"Most guns that kill people are not legally obtained,"

Can you provide some evidence for this please? I ask because you referenced gun crime numbers being driven by the inner cities the other week when in reality the deaths by population statistics show rural (mainly Republican) states having far higher gun deaths by unit of population.

It's also worth pointing out that most illegal guns would have been legal at some point and will have gone through processes to make them illegal and hard to track.

" this point there are just far too many guns in this country as we reminded by the sickening events daily."

Given this, it would have been good if the court allowed blanket bans for states to stop more guns coming into circulation.

This isn't a debate about guns though, it's about the savage attack on women's rights.

SB

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 19:07 - Jun 24 with 581 viewsStokieBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:49 - Jun 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Slightly off topic to the important conversations in this thread but you’d be surprised about “the tips” thing. A lot of workers are very pro the tipping culture because they make an awful lot of money, you’d be surprised.

I think this is simply because they are happy to get some extra money because they aren't paid properly in the first place.

Pay them a proper wage with pension, life insurance and healthcare and then ask them if they are worried about tips.

Tipping should be an optional thing to reward good service, not a means to subsidise businesses not paying a proper wage.

SB

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 19:10 - Jun 24 with 575 viewsZXBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 18:55 - Jun 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Spot on.

As much as I despise the idea of woman’s reproductive rights going back to the dark ages in certain states, there does seem to be a lack of basic understanding by many elements of what was actually decided on in the SC.

It’s fairly shocking that at any state would really consider this normal though in 2022 but America is weird and really isn’t one country, at all.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 18:56]

It is an entirely political and planned decision. That is not how law is supposed to work.

It is also a piece of sophistry they are hiding behind, to claim its about explicitly what is or is not in the constitution. The whole point of case law is that the constituion has previously been interpreted in that way, and that is therefore the law.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 19:19]
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 19:34 - Jun 24 with 543 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 19:05 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

"Well the laws regarding gun regulation are vastly different across the different states, so that’s not entirely true or how the constitution works. I assume you’re talking about states being able to impose a blanket gun ban at state level? That will never happen with 2A."

Well they could have if the supreme court hadn't stepped in. The court has allowed the banning of abortions at a state level but prevented the banning of guns at the state level.

"Most guns that kill people are not legally obtained,"

Can you provide some evidence for this please? I ask because you referenced gun crime numbers being driven by the inner cities the other week when in reality the deaths by population statistics show rural (mainly Republican) states having far higher gun deaths by unit of population.

It's also worth pointing out that most illegal guns would have been legal at some point and will have gone through processes to make them illegal and hard to track.

" this point there are just far too many guns in this country as we reminded by the sickening events daily."

Given this, it would have been good if the court allowed blanket bans for states to stop more guns coming into circulation.

This isn't a debate about guns though, it's about the savage attack on women's rights.

SB

I’ll be back later but per population you are correct, generally republican states. I mean WY is usually top 3 and has a smaller population than Suffolk (I think) so a lot of context. Also most major cities are liberal most rural areas are conservative. More people obviously live in these places.

In terms of sheer numbers though (as I said most) there was 20k + murders the last few years, which is a huge increase and peaked at record levels in many major metro areas red and blue. I think 60%+ in the country overall were carried out by handguns if I remember correctly. A lot of the cities have a clearance rate at around 50% also, so it’s hard to fully back up with data when they are unsolved. Regardless the laws in most of these places don’t even allow you to carry, so it would be rather unlikely those using them where they are not supposed to have them in the first place.

I posted what I would do in regards to guns the other week because doing nothing is pathetic but as you say this is about woman’s rights today.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 19:36 - Jun 24 with 541 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 19:07 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

I think this is simply because they are happy to get some extra money because they aren't paid properly in the first place.

Pay them a proper wage with pension, life insurance and healthcare and then ask them if they are worried about tips.

Tipping should be an optional thing to reward good service, not a means to subsidise businesses not paying a proper wage.

SB

You might think that but it’s not entirely the case, at all.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 19:54 - Jun 24 with 528 viewsZXBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 19:36 - Jun 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

You might think that but it’s not entirely the case, at all.

They havent experienced proper pay so dont know what is preferable....
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 20:00 - Jun 24 with 517 viewsElderGrizzly

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 16:51 - Jun 24 by DanTheMan

I did read as well that apparently for almost all the republican nominated judges, they all said Roe Vs. Wade was settled law.

So basically they lied.

Three lied under oath in their confirmation hearings
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 20:10 - Jun 24 with 501 viewsnoggin

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 16:27 - Jun 24 by MattinLondon

I find it strange that the US states that are most ‘pro life’ tend to be the ones who execute more of their prisoners.

Mostly, non white prisoners.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 20:15 - Jun 24 with 497 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 19:54 - Jun 24 by ZXBlue

They havent experienced proper pay so dont know what is preferable....

I’m not sure if you realize the earning potential for many in these roles.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 20:22 - Jun 24 with 483 viewsZXBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 20:15 - Jun 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I’m not sure if you realize the earning potential for many in these roles.

Im not sure you realise what a complete mess that country is.

How many paid days holiday are you entitled to?
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 20:51 - Jun 24 with 448 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 20:22 - Jun 24 by ZXBlue

Im not sure you realise what a complete mess that country is.

How many paid days holiday are you entitled to?

Yes you must be right having lived in both countries I have no idea what’s going on over here and no one in the service industry with little education makes any money or works there way up at all.

23 +federal holidays but I have the tenure.
Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 20:57 - Jun 24 with 434 viewsZXBlue

Supreme Court confirms Roe vs Wade is overturned on 20:51 - Jun 24 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Yes you must be right having lived in both countries I have no idea what’s going on over here and no one in the service industry with little education makes any money or works there way up at all.

23 +federal holidays but I have the tenure.

How many are people entitled to- not the lucky ones who have managed to agree a good contract.

Your first para is just silly and evasive.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024