Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have we had a Glasto thread? 19:09 - Jun 24 with 10396 viewsJakeITFC

Idles currently smashing it on the Other Stage (and with an important bit of commentary on Roe v Wade before Mother).
Have we had a Glasto thread? on 10:05 - Jun 26 with 1354 viewsDubtractor

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 09:59 - Jun 26 by LeoMuff

Didn’t think he sounded too bad to be fair, outdoor big venues aren’t going to be doing an 80 year old any favours in the vocals dept

From the bits I saw his voice was fine. Of course he wasn't exactly belting the vocals put, but it was fine. The duet with Dave Grohl was objectively bad though, if you put aside the star power of the pairing.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 10:08 - Jun 26 with 1350 viewsLord_Lucan

I’m not a massive McCartney fan, he’s always been a bit of a poser for me - I preferred any of the other three.

Having said that I did see him 30 odd years ago and it was all a bit of a “Happening”

Must admit I can’t see why people criticise an 80 year old headlining one of the worlds premier festivals who was part of the biggest band in the world.

I thought the second half of his set was pretty good - to say the least.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 11:11]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 10:10 - Jun 26 with 1335 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Didn’t think he sounded too bad to be fair, outdoor big venues aren’t going to be doing an 80 year old any favours in the vocals dept

Somebody else was singing for him on the little I heard.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 10:20 - Jun 26 with 1309 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Does anybody know if Idles' Brutalism set is available to view on catch up anywhere.

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 10:27 - Jun 26 with 1289 viewsitfcjoe

And he doesn’t adjust anything either - still going for every note on Maybe I’m Amazed and then to do Helter Skelter after over 2 hours on stage (whilst playing Ukelele, Bass, Piano, Guitar) is simply incredible at his age.

Sometimes his voice isn’t great live but thought it was spot on last night - just lazy criticism by some

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 10:33 - Jun 26 with 1257 viewsWhos_blue

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 10:27 - Jun 26 by itfcjoe

And he doesn’t adjust anything either - still going for every note on Maybe I’m Amazed and then to do Helter Skelter after over 2 hours on stage (whilst playing Ukelele, Bass, Piano, Guitar) is simply incredible at his age.

Sometimes his voice isn’t great live but thought it was spot on last night - just lazy criticism by some

This.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 10:35 - Jun 26 with 1245 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So not bad for an 80 year old....damning with faint praise!
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 11:27]

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 11:24 - Jun 26 with 1186 viewsGlasgowBlue

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 10:35 - Jun 26 by BanksterDebtSlave

So not bad for an 80 year old....damning with faint praise!
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 11:27]

Not just any 80 year old. The most important and influential 80 year old in the history of Rock music.

If anyone has seen the Get Back documentary they will see not only his genius at work but his role within the Beatles when at that stage John Lennon was a heroin addled wreck.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 11:29 - Jun 26 with 1162 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 11:24 - Jun 26 by GlasgowBlue

Not just any 80 year old. The most important and influential 80 year old in the history of Rock music.

If anyone has seen the Get Back documentary they will see not only his genius at work but his role within the Beatles when at that stage John Lennon was a heroin addled wreck.

Learning to retire gracefully and with dignity intact is an art that sadly far too few musicians have learnt.

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 11:42 - Jun 26 with 1139 viewsjudespiveyg

Disappointing that the iplayer live stream doesn't start until later so I can't watch Black Dyke while they're (somehow) on the pyramid stage. Don't know if anyone else has any knowledge of brass bands but it seems an odd place for an old pit band to perform. I mean they are incredible but its a radical departure from the Lancashire villages they were at during Whit Friday a couple of weeks ago.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 11:45 - Jun 26 with 1121 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why is Macca not on iPlayer? I was going to give it a watch this morning while making breakfast. Apparently people are moaning on twitter. I presume it'll be on at some point?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 11:46 - Jun 26 with 1120 viewseireblue

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 11:29 - Jun 26 by BanksterDebtSlave

Learning to retire gracefully and with dignity intact is an art that sadly far too few musicians have learnt.

Good, hope they keep not learning it.

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 11:53 - Jun 26 with 1098 viewsLeoMuff

Get back certainly opened my eyes to just how amazingly creative and talented he is, literally bristling with ideas, I always thought Lennon was that side of the partnership but he brought very little to the party on get back, although clearly not in a good place.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 12:04 - Jun 26 with 1074 viewstextbackup

why cant i find PMs set on bbc iplayer?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 12:10 - Jun 26 with 1052 viewsleitrimblue

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 19:22 - Jun 25 by Dubtractor

Middle aged men? You sure you're watching the right coverage? If anything I'd say the line up has gone way more pop and youth oriented overall.

Obviously I did a lot of research before posting that Dubs.
I witnessed over 7 seconds of I think it was Crowded house ( absolutely awful) then switched over to watch 3 seconds of some other awful old bloke( possibly Robert Plant?) Also heard the awful geriatric McCartney was playing at some point. That's enough for me to stay well away from the rest of it. Can only hope the real action is in the late night rave tents and they just not showing that on TV. Otherwise it just looks so cleansed an uninteresting.
Have we had a Glasto thread? on 12:20 - Jun 26 with 1008 viewsWhos_blue

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 11:46 - Jun 26 by eireblue

Good, hope they keep not learning it.

Well said that man.

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 12:35 - Jun 26 with 969 viewsGlasgowBlue

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 11:53 - Jun 26 by LeoMuff

Get back certainly opened my eyes to just how amazingly creative and talented he is, literally bristling with ideas, I always thought Lennon was that side of the partnership but he brought very little to the party on get back, although clearly not in a good place.

Must have been very hard for John Lennon, just a few months after the release of the double White Album and only two years after writing and recording A Day in the Life, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Strawberry Fields Forever, to see his partner knocking out Get Back, Let It Be, Long and Winding Road etc whilst he could only come up with Don't Let Me Down.

This is a joy to watch

[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 12:38]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 13:40 - Jun 26 with 902 viewsmikeybloo88

He was far from spot on...stop fawning and admit he was ropey. He absolutely butchered the beginning of Maybe I’m Amazed...
Have we had a Glasto thread? on 13:56 - Jun 26 with 863 viewsmarchy

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 13:40 - Jun 26 by mikeybloo88

He was far from spot on...stop fawning and admit he was ropey. He absolutely butchered the beginning of Maybe I’m Amazed...

edgy AF
Have we had a Glasto thread? on 14:18 - Jun 26 with 834 viewsjudespiveyg

For anyone interested on the Pyramid right now they've got perhaps the best jazz keys player ever. Would highly recommend. As a jazz player my whole musical life it's what I've been looking forward to most all weekend.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 14:41 - Jun 26 with 804 viewsjeera

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 11:42 - Jun 26 by judespiveyg

Disappointing that the iplayer live stream doesn't start until later so I can't watch Black Dyke while they're (somehow) on the pyramid stage. Don't know if anyone else has any knowledge of brass bands but it seems an odd place for an old pit band to perform. I mean they are incredible but its a radical departure from the Lancashire villages they were at during Whit Friday a couple of weeks ago.

Midday warm up act to while away some time and give a bit of atmosphere?

Like you I cannot understand why there isn't more comprehensive coverage of something this big.

Sure iplayer and all, but a dedicated TV channel (or two) with uninterrupted coverage would also be appropriate for the whole weekend.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 15:33 - Jun 26 with 745 viewsWhos_blue

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 13:40 - Jun 26 by mikeybloo88

Surely a

Go on, admit it. Your post is ropey!

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 16:12 - Jun 26 with 699 viewsstonojnr

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 01:34 - Jun 26 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah. If only Mecca had written something as memorable as Let it Be, Hey Jude, Eleanor Rigby or Yesterday.

And yet he played only two of those at the end of his set after all the solo filler material no one was really that interested in, at least we didnt get a rendition of Mull of Kintyre, or the frog song.

But Lennon wrote Help, Strawberry Fields, I am the Walrus, Lucy in the sky of diamonds, nowhere man, ticket to ride, a hard day's night. Ask people at random to name a Beatles track, those will feature and they are classic festival tracks the crowd can sing along to.

It's like the Gallaghers, just play classic Oasis songs, that's what the crowd wants, Macca just play classic Beatles songs, plus some Wings stuff, that's what the crowd wants it's Glastonbury not another date on a solo concert tour.

You can't knock the guy for being up there at his age still performing, but I thought it was very disappointing for a headliner. Whereas I remember the Chemical Bros being awesome, Bowie awesome, Gorillaz awesome. Faithless awesome though I don't think they headlined, just was a good set.
Have we had a Glasto thread? on 16:16 - Jun 26 with 697 viewsmarchy

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 16:12 - Jun 26 by stonojnr

And yet he played only two of those at the end of his set after all the solo filler material no one was really that interested in, at least we didnt get a rendition of Mull of Kintyre, or the frog song.

But Lennon wrote Help, Strawberry Fields, I am the Walrus, Lucy in the sky of diamonds, nowhere man, ticket to ride, a hard day's night. Ask people at random to name a Beatles track, those will feature and they are classic festival tracks the crowd can sing along to.

It's like the Gallaghers, just play classic Oasis songs, that's what the crowd wants, Macca just play classic Beatles songs, plus some Wings stuff, that's what the crowd wants it's Glastonbury not another date on a solo concert tour.

You can't knock the guy for being up there at his age still performing, but I thought it was very disappointing for a headliner. Whereas I remember the Chemical Bros being awesome, Bowie awesome, Gorillaz awesome. Faithless awesome though I don't think they headlined, just was a good set.

"Paul McCartney’s history-making Glastonbury set was hailed as one of the greatest headline performances of this generation as a crowd of more than 100,000 people gathered at the festival’s famous Pyramid stage to watch him play."

- https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jun/26/paul-mccartney-glastonbury-show-ha

"...after all the solo filler material no one was really that interested in"

- stonojnr, some bloke on the internet.
Have we had a Glasto thread? on 16:44 - Jun 26 with 660 viewsLord_Lucan

Have we had a Glasto thread? on 16:16 - Jun 26 by marchy

"Paul McCartney’s history-making Glastonbury set was hailed as one of the greatest headline performances of this generation as a crowd of more than 100,000 people gathered at the festival’s famous Pyramid stage to watch him play."

- https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jun/26/paul-mccartney-glastonbury-show-ha

"...after all the solo filler material no one was really that interested in"

- stonojnr, some bloke on the internet.

As much as I'm sort of on your side - that is The Guardian.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024