Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... 16:01 - Aug 18 with 1960 viewsFrankfurtBlue

The last thing I want to see is a player wiping the ball with a towel, before stealing a few yards and hurling it into a melee of players. There should be some sort of rule that throw-ins need to be taken within say 5 seconds of the ball being available.

Talking about referees and needed rule changes, surely the prevalence of deliberate obstructions could be cut out too? I have no problem with a player shielding the ball, but when he starts to play the man with no regard for the ball, or just moves to block a player's run, completely off the ball, that has to be punished. Always used to be an indirect free kick.

And while we are at it. Managers, Trainers, and staff in the coaching zone, not giving the ball back. Ungentlemanly conduct, yellow card would fix that.

Any other little grumbles?
KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 16:02 - Aug 18 with 1936 viewsFrimleyBlue

You should not be able to use a towel to dry a ball my biggest gripe.

Also.. the ball should have to be within the line at the corner flag not part of the ball overhanging it.

Also. Injuries. Unless it's a head injury. Play should carry on with medical help taking place around the physio and player just like rugby.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 16:04]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 16:19 - Aug 18 with 1865 viewsFrankfurtBlue

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 16:02 - Aug 18 by FrimleyBlue

Also.. the ball should have to be within the line at the corner flag not part of the ball overhanging it.

Also. Injuries. Unless it's a head injury. Play should carry on with medical help taking place around the physio and player just like rugby.

I don't have a great problem with ball overhanging the corner quadrant. However, I don't quite understand why it has to be done.

The injuries one is difficult. Clearly referees get conned, and it is not easy for them. Not sure what the solution is.
KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 16:24 - Aug 18 with 1839 viewshomer_123

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 16:02 - Aug 18 by FrimleyBlue

No chance on the injury thing. Can easily see a ref getting one wrong and then getting sued.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 17:33 - Aug 18 with 1758 viewsSharkey

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 16:19 - Aug 18 by FrankfurtBlue

I don't have a great problem with ball overhanging the corner quadrant. However, I don't quite understand why it has to be done.

The injuries one is difficult. Clearly referees get conned, and it is not easy for them. Not sure what the solution is.

I don't understand why if the ball doesn't have to be in the quadrant the quadrant is still made big enough to have the ball inside it.
KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 17:43 - Aug 18 with 1737 viewsSheffordBlue

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 16:24 - Aug 18 by homer_123

No chance on the injury thing. Can easily see a ref getting one wrong and then getting sued.

But they manage it in rugby - a sport that has a far higher risk of serious injury.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 17:50 - Aug 18 with 1724 viewsBobbychase

Tuesday night was a bit like Cheltenham last season. Every throw in was like a special teams move in the NFL. Get the towel, walk on the pitch, chat to someone about where you are going to put it. Stroll back, do your funny little run-up etc.

Cheltenham managed to waste a lot of time going through that routine last season. Fortunately Burton were never in front otherwise we would have seen the same.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 18:01 - Aug 18 with 1709 viewsSharkey

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 17:50 - Aug 18 by Bobbychase

Tuesday night was a bit like Cheltenham last season. Every throw in was like a special teams move in the NFL. Get the towel, walk on the pitch, chat to someone about where you are going to put it. Stroll back, do your funny little run-up etc.

Cheltenham managed to waste a lot of time going through that routine last season. Fortunately Burton were never in front otherwise we would have seen the same.

I mentioned it last season, but Charlie Daniels, the Colchester left-back picked up Tranmere's towel and threw it about ten rows back into the crowd, who kept it. The assistant ref clearly didn't know what to do, so pretended that he hadn't seen it.
KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 18:03 - Aug 18 with 1707 viewsBobbychase

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 18:01 - Aug 18 by Sharkey

I mentioned it last season, but Charlie Daniels, the Colchester left-back picked up Tranmere's towel and threw it about ten rows back into the crowd, who kept it. The assistant ref clearly didn't know what to do, so pretended that he hadn't seen it.

The Cheltenham game was awful for many reasons, but the towel routine drove me insane. I like the sound of throwing the towel away. Or getting the subs to soak it with water

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Login to get fewer ads

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 18:07 - Aug 18 with 1683 viewsHalifaxBlue

I've always thought, at the very least, if a player is booked for timewasting on a throw in, the throw in should also be reversed and given to the opposition. Would be far more of a deterrent when defending a lead than a meaningless yellow card with no time left.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 18:10 - Aug 18 with 1665 viewsjontysnut

I really hate players stealing yards from throw ins. Need extra liners or touch judges to spray a line, which won't happen.
KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 18:32 - Aug 18 with 1633 viewsmrfixit426

Whatever happened about the six second rule for goalkeepers hanging on to the ball? Is that still a thing? Every game I've been to this season the keepers are holding on to for much longer.

I think Sam Hornby had it for about 25 seconds at one point in the match against Colchester.
KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 22:07 - Aug 18 with 1471 viewsSharkey

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 18:32 - Aug 18 by mrfixit426

Whatever happened about the six second rule for goalkeepers hanging on to the ball? Is that still a thing? Every game I've been to this season the keepers are holding on to for much longer.

I think Sam Hornby had it for about 25 seconds at one point in the match against Colchester.

I think goalkeepers have made up a rule that it doesn't count if they're lying on the ground.
KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 22:15 - Aug 18 with 1454 viewsRonFearonsHair

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 18:10 - Aug 18 by jontysnut

I really hate players stealing yards from throw ins. Need extra liners or touch judges to spray a line, which won't happen.

I'm a bit conflicted on this, as I do get a perverse sense of enjoyment from seeing the front few rows of the Pioneer stand indingnantly flapping their arms and berating the linesman when opponents try it at our place.
KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 22:28 - Aug 18 with 1426 viewsBury_St_Edmundson

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 18:32 - Aug 18 by mrfixit426

Jordan Pickford happened

cannot STAND the guy
KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 22:33 - Aug 18 with 1400 viewsNthsuffolkblue

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 17:33 - Aug 18 by Sharkey

I don't understand why if the ball doesn't have to be in the quadrant the quadrant is still made big enough to have the ball inside it.

It's all about the way the rule is worded and the whole of the ball being over the whole of the line.

Ultimately it is the same for both sides and doesn't really make much difference anyway.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 23:23 - Aug 18 with 1328 viewsTheBoyBlue

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 17:43 - Aug 18 by SheffordBlue

But they manage it in rugby - a sport that has a far higher risk of serious injury.

But teams would just get their GK to go down. Can't play on without a goalie.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 10:22 - Aug 19 with 1079 viewscbower

Agree with objections to the towel, taking too much time and stealing yards but a throw in is part of the game and if you have someone who can cause havoc by putting it into the danger zone like a good corner, then use it. I prefer passing football on the grass myself but don't forget, the object is to score more goals than your opponent. How you do that within the rules of the game is simply a question of aesthetics.

bluescouser

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 10:31 - Aug 19 with 1055 viewsJammyDodgerrr

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 16:19 - Aug 18 by FrankfurtBlue

The solution is players stop putting the ball out. Just leave the player down and get on with it - it soon stops the fake injuries when teams get punished.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 10:40 - Aug 19 with 1025 viewstownblue

Changing the rules to stop the clock, should eliminate a lot of these issues. Would probably need to go down to 30 minute halves though.
KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 16:46 - Aug 19 with 848 viewscbower

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 10:40 - Aug 19 by townblue

Changing the rules to stop the clock, should eliminate a lot of these issues. Would probably need to go down to 30 minute halves though.

Sync the ref's watch with the scoreboard clock and every time he stops his watch, the whole ground can see it. If a player goes dow, he stops the watch. Player time wasting, he stops the watch. Subs, stpo the watch. It would all be transparent and no mystery.

bluescouser

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 17:26 - Aug 19 with 810 viewscbower

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 10:40 - Aug 19 by townblue

Sync the ref's watch with the scoreboard clock and every time he stops his watch, the whole ground can see it. If a player goes dow, he stops the watch. Player time wasting, he stops the watch. Subs, stpo the watch. It would all be transparent and no mystery.

bluescouser

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 21:01 - Aug 19 with 723 viewsBlueForYou

If we put the ball in the back of the oppositions net a lot more times, this would all be irrelevant. We waste a lot of our own time passing sideways along the back line & passing backwards! We don’t make it easy for ourselves, then panic when the opposition try to kill the game.
KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 21:06 - Aug 19 with 707 viewsNthsuffolkblue

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 21:01 - Aug 19 by BlueForYou

If we put the ball in the back of the oppositions net a lot more times, this would all be irrelevant. We waste a lot of our own time passing sideways along the back line & passing backwards! We don’t make it easy for ourselves, then panic when the opposition try to kill the game.

This was true a couple of seasons ago but I haven't seen this so far this season. We pass crisply and with purpose. Whilst we also gave the ball away too much last match, we are poles away from what you are describing there.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 21:07 - Aug 19 with 701 viewsronnyd

KMc is right about fans paying to see the ball in play more...... on 17:26 - Aug 19 by cbower

That's ok. i heard you the first time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024