Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Tractor Boys tag 14:14 - Aug 21 with 4030 viewsMenton

I’m pretty sure it was first used by the Birmingham fans in about 97 or 98 at Portman Road. They were singing ‘no noise from the Tractor Boys’ at us and when we scored we retorted with ‘1-0 to the Tractor Boys’. Can anyone confirm that? May have been Stoke (the mind is hazy)

Gareth McCauley in Dead Man's Shoes
Poll: Which of our strikers will get injured for the Republic of Ireland tomorrow?

The Tractor Boys tag on 14:18 - Aug 21 with 3370 viewsTrumptonBlue

I remember it from a similar exchange with the Chelsea fans in the 2-2 draw at PR in 94/95.
The Tractor Boys tag on 14:32 - Aug 21 with 3329 viewsfranz_tyson

It was coined by Warren Clarke in an episode of Lovejoy circa 1989.

Clarke was portraying a ITFC supporting refuse collector when a tractor sped past along a country lane. Atop the tractor were 3 Town fans clad in blue and white and , no doubt, heading to the game.
"Up the Tractor Boys" , roared Clarke's character - and hence, from that moment on, Town were then known as the Tractor Boys.
The Tractor Boys tag on 14:42 - Aug 21 with 3277 viewsDJR

On a linked theme, I remember in the 70s in the North Stand that London fans tended to chant "fertiliser" at us, and we responded with "soap and water". I never really understood our response.

EDIT: rather than "water" it came out as "waw-ah".
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 14:46]
The Tractor Boys tag on 15:01 - Aug 21 with 3178 viewsbraveblue

Thought it was at Leeds?
The Tractor Boys tag on 15:06 - Aug 21 with 3165 viewsEastTownBlue

The Tractor Boys tag on 15:01 - Aug 21 by braveblue

Thought it was at Leeds?

The 2-1 win at Leeds 2000 was when the supporters first used it. Perhaps inspired by the defeat again Villa the week previously?
The Tractor Boys tag on 15:19 - Aug 21 with 3111 viewsronnyd

The Tractor Boys tag on 14:42 - Aug 21 by DJR

On a linked theme, I remember in the 70s in the North Stand that London fans tended to chant "fertiliser" at us, and we responded with "soap and water". I never really understood our response.

EDIT: rather than "water" it came out as "waw-ah".
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 14:46]

Probably implying that all city dwelling fans needed a good wash.
The Tractor Boys tag on 15:24 - Aug 21 with 3106 viewsshaunmahony

The Tractor Boys tag on 15:06 - Aug 21 by EastTownBlue

The 2-1 win at Leeds 2000 was when the supporters first used it. Perhaps inspired by the defeat again Villa the week previously?

I was at that Leeds match and I think you are right - that was the first time I heard it. Magilton was a bit upset at first but then he got with the irony!
The Tractor Boys tag on 16:26 - Aug 21 with 3013 viewsEastTownBlue

The Tractor Boys tag on 15:24 - Aug 21 by shaunmahony

I was at that Leeds match and I think you are right - that was the first time I heard it. Magilton was a bit upset at first but then he got with the irony!

Yes, it makes me wonder if that inspired Mr Ham to make the first mention of "extractor fan" or was it someone else on here ?
Login to get fewer ads

The Tractor Boys tag on 16:39 - Aug 21 with 2971 viewsChurchman

The Tractor Boys tag on 15:06 - Aug 21 by EastTownBlue

I think you might well be right. It was certainly coined during that season. ‘1-0 to the tractor boys’ was a self depreciating up yours to the opposition. Magilton didn’t like it, but I thought it quite amusing and still do.

I don’t think it had anything to do with the Lovejoy episode called Bin Diving. That goes back to the early 90s and did feature the great Warren Clarke as a dustman called Brian Nunn who wore an Ipswich baseball cap and made money on the side finding good stuff people had binned.
The Tractor Boys tag on 16:40 - Aug 21 with 2971 viewsITFC_Forever

It was Birmingham away in 1998.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The Tractor Boys tag on 16:45 - Aug 21 with 2959 viewsDJR

The Tractor Boys tag on 15:19 - Aug 21 by ronnyd

Probably implying that all city dwelling fans needed a good wash.

I think that's probably right. There were also from memory "sheep shagger" chants to which the response was "sheep shagger agro".

EDIT: From that era, I think we also sang the following.

"I can't read, and I can't write, but I can drive a tractor,
Turn it left, turn it right, I can drive a tractor."
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 17:09]
The Tractor Boys tag on 17:17 - Aug 21 with 2908 viewsFromReuserWithLove

The Tractor Boys tag on 15:01 - Aug 21 by braveblue

Thought it was at Leeds?

This was 100% when it became a thing. The media picked up on it and it stuck.
The Tractor Boys tag on 17:33 - Aug 21 with 2856 viewsITFC_Forever

The Tractor Boys tag on 17:17 - Aug 21 by FromReuserWithLove

This was 100% when it became a thing. The media picked up on it and it stuck.

Was first sung by Birmingham fans to us, then Leeds in Sept 2000 after they went 1-0 up, we then sang it back them when we went 2-1 ahead and won, that’s when it was picked up on by the fans and media.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The Tractor Boys tag on 18:12 - Aug 21 with 2763 viewsSharkey

The Tractor Boys tag on 16:45 - Aug 21 by DJR

I think that's probably right. There were also from memory "sheep shagger" chants to which the response was "sheep shagger agro".

I think I remember hearing a chant a LONG time ago that went something along the lines of " they complain about the [something], they complain about the weather, but I've never seen a farmer on a bike". There was more time for chants in those days, as you were in the ground up to an hour before kick-off.
The Tractor Boys tag on 08:47 - Aug 22 with 2442 viewsCityBlue

I remember the tag being banded about to this tune during that period. The original nickname for the club was always "The Super Blues" - not very original tbh so I am more than happy to embrace the tractor boys. In deed it then leads on to the Old Farm derby.

I T I D

The Tractor Boys tag on 08:51 - Aug 22 with 2439 viewsBobbychase

Correct. It was at Birmingham away, when Trevor Francis was manager and we were in our annual race to try and finish top two and avoid the play offs. We then adopted it when we (eventually) got promoted.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

The Tractor Boys tag on 09:22 - Aug 22 with 2339 viewsLuggworm

The Tractor Boys tag on 16:45 - Aug 21 by DJR

The words were
"I can't read and I can't write but that don't really matter,
I support Ipswich Town and I can drive a tractor"
The Tractor Boys tag on 09:24 - Aug 22 with 2327 viewsjontysnut

I remember as a kid in the early 70s singing something like

I can't read I can't write
That don't really matter
I support Ipswich Town
And I can drive a tractor
The Tractor Boys tag on 09:24 - Aug 22 with 2322 viewsPhilTWTD

The Tractor Boys tag on 16:26 - Aug 21 by EastTownBlue

Yes, it makes me wonder if that inspired Mr Ham to make the first mention of "extractor fan" or was it someone else on here ?

I think it was me, although someone else could also have come up with it independently. I mentioned it on Five Live while being interviewed ahead of a game in Mannings.
The Tractor Boys tag on 10:04 - Aug 22 with 2195 viewsyesjohn99

Earl Soham Victoria Carlsberg Pub Cup Semi Final at Anfield. They won at Wembley a few weeks before the play off final.
The Tractor Boys tag on 10:06 - Aug 22 with 2170 viewsPhilTWTD

The Tractor Boys tag on 16:40 - Aug 21 by ITFC_Forever

It was Birmingham away in 1998.

That has always been the accepted first airing, I think, with the Leeds game in the Premier League when it really got up a head of steam.
The Tractor Boys tag on 10:55 - Aug 22 with 2072 viewsArnieM

The Tractor Boy tag came from fans watching Sudbury Town AFC at a Wembley game many yrs ago. They went 1-0 up snd he started to sing “ one nil to the tractor boys”. But He was also a Town fan , and it morphed into a tag for Town.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The Tractor Boys tag on 11:17 - Aug 22 with 2037 viewsBondiBlue

The Tractor Boys tag on 08:51 - Aug 22 by Bobbychase

Correct. It was at Birmingham away, when Trevor Francis was manager and we were in our annual race to try and finish top two and avoid the play offs. We then adopted it when we (eventually) got promoted.

Birmingham away was the first time i heard it too.

Poll: Which would you accept?

The Tractor Boys tag on 11:23 - Aug 22 with 2007 viewsPhilTWTD

The Tractor Boys tag on 10:55 - Aug 22 by ArnieM

The Tractor Boy tag came from fans watching Sudbury Town AFC at a Wembley game many yrs ago. They went 1-0 up snd he started to sing “ one nil to the tractor boys”. But He was also a Town fan , and it morphed into a tag for Town.

It's Soham who claim they sung it first but it had already been sung at Town before that.
The Tractor Boys tag on 11:27 - Aug 22 with 1983 viewsGeoffSentence

The Tractor Boys tag on 09:24 - Aug 22 by PhilTWTD

I think it was me, although someone else could also have come up with it independently. I mentioned it on Five Live while being interviewed ahead of a game in Mannings.

Which game was that? Mannings is quite a small venue to host a professional football match.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024