Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Edmundson 11:58 - Sep 4 with 9360 viewscbower

Any reason not in the 18 or just 'dropped'? Burgess taking his chance but surprised Keogh chosen above Fridge for the bench.

bluescouser

Edmundson on 10:47 - Sep 5 with 1543 viewsclive_baker

Edmundson on 10:40 - Sep 5 by BondiBlue

My reference to keogh's age was not a dig at keogh. I was making the point that (surely) we would all expect edmundson to be higher in the pecking order given his age, pedigree and status at the club (he's captained the team before). I'm also not suggesting we get rid of edmundson, just wondering aloud what's going on.

It might help if some explained the rules of tbis messageboard to me. We're not allowed to ask questions when we're winning, and we're not allowed to see positives when we're losing, is that it? I do wonder if ashton's request to stop leaking transfers has got to some of you. We don't need to act as if all the staff and players are reading this with their little black books out. It's an internet messageboard - it's ok to speculate.

There are no rules. Of course it's OK to speculate, equally it's OK for people to put their opinion across too.

The £750k signing point for example, Edmundson was keeping out Burgess who also cost £750k so it looks like something has to give there regardless of which of them start. JD is undroppable at the moment and Woolfenden is the ball player we need in the middle.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Edmundson on 11:12 - Sep 5 with 1464 viewsBondiBlue

Edmundson on 10:47 - Sep 5 by clive_baker

There are no rules. Of course it's OK to speculate, equally it's OK for people to put their opinion across too.

The £750k signing point for example, Edmundson was keeping out Burgess who also cost £750k so it looks like something has to give there regardless of which of them start. JD is undroppable at the moment and Woolfenden is the ball player we need in the middle.

Didn't JD cost 750 as well? All 4 you'd imagine would expect to start, and now we've got keogh in the mix as well. As you say, he's got the most pedigree of all of them. Tricky for mckenna to manage. We know he's a good coach - this will be a test (the first real test?) of his man-management skills.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Edmundson on 11:31 - Sep 5 with 1422 viewshoppy

Edmundson on 11:12 - Sep 5 by BondiBlue

Didn't JD cost 750 as well? All 4 you'd imagine would expect to start, and now we've got keogh in the mix as well. As you say, he's got the most pedigree of all of them. Tricky for mckenna to manage. We know he's a good coach - this will be a test (the first real test?) of his man-management skills.

It could be a test, or a real test, or possibly even a real, real test.

(From approx 2:20 onwards to give a bit of context)

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Edmundson on 11:40 - Sep 5 with 1387 viewsBondiBlue

Edmundson on 11:31 - Sep 5 by hoppy

It could be a test, or a real test, or possibly even a real, real test.

(From approx 2:20 onwards to give a bit of context)

Feels like you're sitting behind me on the school bus flicking my ears.

Edmundson on 11:44 - Sep 5 with 1390 viewsJimmy86

Edmundson on 10:44 - Sep 5 by itfcjoe

Woolfie doesn't get rotated because he's our best defender both on and off the ball and so vital to how we play

I'm afraid I don't really agree with this... I know he came through our academy and is "1 of our own" but I still don't get all the hype around Woolfenden... he's made mistakes already this season, when he's been caught in possession or he's underhit back passes.. same as last season.. also he tends to lose out in physical battles too, Colchester, for example, he was bullied by Nouble, of all people..
Edmundson on 11:49 - Sep 5 with 1363 viewshoppy

Edmundson on 11:40 - Sep 5 by BondiBlue

Feels like you're sitting behind me on the school bus flicking my ears.

Ha... sorry - I hadn't even noticed it was your post. I just read the 'real test' bit, and it reminded me of this clip from absolutely years ago.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Edmundson on 11:52 - Sep 5 with 1334 viewsBondiBlue

Edmundson on 11:49 - Sep 5 by hoppy

Ha... sorry - I hadn't even noticed it was your post. I just read the 'real test' bit, and it reminded me of this clip from absolutely years ago.

All good

Edmundson on 12:07 - Sep 5 with 1300 viewsitfcjoe

Edmundson on 11:44 - Sep 5 by Jimmy86

I'm afraid I don't really agree with this... I know he came through our academy and is "1 of our own" but I still don't get all the hype around Woolfenden... he's made mistakes already this season, when he's been caught in possession or he's underhit back passes.. same as last season.. also he tends to lose out in physical battles too, Colchester, for example, he was bullied by Nouble, of all people..

Maybe you should let McKenna know who has started him in every league game he has been available for and see him win all his battles (bar Ahadme this year) whilst getting us going on the floor with the ball and having the pace and reading of the game to sweep up if any others make errors

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Edmundson on 12:18 - Sep 5 with 1256 viewsBondiBlue

Edmundson on 12:07 - Sep 5 by itfcjoe

Maybe you should let McKenna know who has started him in every league game he has been available for and see him win all his battles (bar Ahadme this year) whilst getting us going on the floor with the ball and having the pace and reading of the game to sweep up if any others make errors

Forgive me if i'm getting this wrong but weren't JD, woolfy and edmundson all ever-present until edmundson's injury last season? This season edmundson's in-and-out and it's being called rotation, but it doesn't fit the pattern. I'll stop going on about this very soon i promise, but i'm not sure mckenna fancies edmundson.

Edmundson on 12:24 - Sep 5 with 1216 viewsJimmy86

Edmundson on 12:07 - Sep 5 by itfcjoe

I'm not for 1 minute saying I dislike him, I just don't think he's as good as people seem to think he is... too lax at times, in my opinion and is the reason he was dropped last season.. it was costing us, as a team and he was dropped as a result... seems to have kicked on under KM, which is great... still think there are times where he dallies too much on the ball and that, ultimately can cost us...

I know you're a fan of the academy etc, but sometimes that alone doesn't make players better than players we buy from elsewhere... just purely because they came through our academy..
Edmundson on 12:25 - Sep 5 with 1201 viewsRobTheMonk

Fridge has looked a bit dodgy to be fair. Burgess has looked better in recent games and I wonder if Keogh has had an influence in that...
Edmundson on 12:27 - Sep 5 with 1197 viewsclive_baker

Edmundson on 12:24 - Sep 5 by Jimmy86

I'm not for 1 minute saying I dislike him, I just don't think he's as good as people seem to think he is... too lax at times, in my opinion and is the reason he was dropped last season.. it was costing us, as a team and he was dropped as a result... seems to have kicked on under KM, which is great... still think there are times where he dallies too much on the ball and that, ultimately can cost us...

I know you're a fan of the academy etc, but sometimes that alone doesn't make players better than players we buy from elsewhere... just purely because they came through our academy..

I think he's much better in a back 3 when he's effectively a spare man, he has time on the ball to step out and / or to pick a pass. He gets us going a lot. Defensively I didn't really like him at all in a 2, where he has been bullied in the past 1-on-1.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Edmundson on 12:30 - Sep 5 with 1179 viewsitfcjoe

Edmundson on 12:24 - Sep 5 by Jimmy86

He was dropped last year because we had a manager without a clue who had tried to sell him that summer, and then would have done in January had he not been sacked - John McGreal basically put him straight in team and since McKenna has been here he has started every game he's been available for bar last weeks PJT game.

It's not about being from the academy, it's about him being our most key defender

Edmundson on 12:36 - Sep 5 with 1140 viewsJimmy86

Edmundson on 12:30 - Sep 5 by itfcjoe

He was dropped last year because we had a manager without a clue who had tried to sell him that summer, and then would have done in January had he not been sacked - John McGreal basically put him straight in team and since McKenna has been here he has started every game he's been available for bar last weeks PJT game.

It's not about being from the academy, it's about him being our most key defender

See, to me, Cook dropped him, as he was costing us as a team, on more than 1 occasion... he was making mistakes that were costing us, so deserved to be dropped?!

I know you had your agenda with Cook and the reasons as to why, that's fair enough, I just think Woolfie wasn't playing well at the time.. what was Cook sposed to do? Lambert often mentioned the fact he was too laid back too... sometimes maybe he needed a rocket?!

As I said, it's great that he's kicked on under KM, can only benefit us as a team..
Edmundson on 12:38 - Sep 5 with 1119 viewsitfcjoe

Edmundson on 12:36 - Sep 5 by Jimmy86

See, to me, Cook dropped him, as he was costing us as a team, on more than 1 occasion... he was making mistakes that were costing us, so deserved to be dropped?!

I know you had your agenda with Cook and the reasons as to why, that's fair enough, I just think Woolfie wasn't playing well at the time.. what was Cook sposed to do? Lambert often mentioned the fact he was too laid back too... sometimes maybe he needed a rocket?!

As I said, it's great that he's kicked on under KM, can only benefit us as a team..

For me it's nothing to do with any agenda with Cook - I just can't get behind a manager who wants to play Nsiala over Woolfenden. The minimum expectation for me as an Ipswich Town footballer is that they can play football and genuinely couldn't stomach seeing Toto struggle with the ball so much.

If Woolf didn't play now, and there were good players in front of him then so be it - but a Toto or equivalent just not for me

Edmundson on 12:50 - Sep 5 with 1085 viewsJimmy86

Edmundson on 12:38 - Sep 5 by itfcjoe

For me it's nothing to do with any agenda with Cook - I just can't get behind a manager who wants to play Nsiala over Woolfenden. The minimum expectation for me as an Ipswich Town footballer is that they can play football and genuinely couldn't stomach seeing Toto struggle with the ball so much.

If Woolf didn't play now, and there were good players in front of him then so be it - but a Toto or equivalent just not for me

I see where you're coming from, Toto was a limited footballer compared to Woolfie, 100% but then again there were times where Woolfie made a rick, similar to what Toto did, for example dallying on the ball and getting caught out, oppo striker is then in on goal and scores... if Toto did that he was absolutely hammered, yet the same was not the case for Woolfie...

that is my issue, footballing wise there was no contest between them, I just felt for Toto as he was unfairly criticised at times for similar mistakes to Woolfie, yet not much was said
Edmundson on 13:54 - Sep 5 with 1000 viewsitfcjoe

Edmundson on 12:50 - Sep 5 by Jimmy86

I see where you're coming from, Toto was a limited footballer compared to Woolfie, 100% but then again there were times where Woolfie made a rick, similar to what Toto did, for example dallying on the ball and getting caught out, oppo striker is then in on goal and scores... if Toto did that he was absolutely hammered, yet the same was not the case for Woolfie...

that is my issue, footballing wise there was no contest between them, I just felt for Toto as he was unfairly criticised at times for similar mistakes to Woolfie, yet not much was said

I guess I worry less about a rick from overplaying opposed to lacking the ability to play.....!

Edmundson on 13:59 - Sep 5 with 961 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Edmundson on 12:50 - Sep 5 by Jimmy86

It was unfair to pick Toto into a team that was trying to play out from the back without having a clue how to do it. Teams would stand off him just waiting for him to screw it up and we/he had no answer.

He's a stopper at best, not a defender that's capable of playing the style we had set out to do.
Edmundson on 13:59 - Sep 5 with 964 viewsSheffordBlue

Edmundson on 13:54 - Sep 5 by itfcjoe

I guess I worry less about a rick from overplaying opposed to lacking the ability to play.....!

I think there's also a fine line between overplaying and deliberately drawing an attacker in to help break the press. What looks to us like over casual play is a deliberate tact to get the opposition to commit players.

This is a deliberate tactic that McKenna has said before will lead to some mistakes. At times even Walton encourages opposition players to close him down before passing out as it gives us the extra man.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Edmundson on 13:59 - Sep 5 with 961 viewsJimmy86

Edmundson on 13:54 - Sep 5 by itfcjoe

Agreed, but a Rick is still a Rick, regardless and can be just as costly... saying that, if that's how KM wants us to play there may be the odd mistake at the back. See it right up through the leagues too, it must be said, but that's football nowadays...
Edmundson on 16:51 - Sep 5 with 846 viewscbower

Good Grief! 6000+ views for my innocent question which was answered within the first 20 minutes anyway! Wtf?

bluescouser

Edmundson on 17:00 - Sep 5 with 815 viewsParky

Edmundson on 13:42 - Sep 4 by chicoazul

No disciplinary?

It was.
Edmundson on 18:58 - Sep 5 with 721 viewsWallingford_Boy

Edmundson on 16:51 - Sep 5 by cbower

Good Grief! 6000+ views for my innocent question which was answered within the first 20 minutes anyway! Wtf?

Usual TWTD freaks!

RIP Sir Bobby

Edmundson on 19:00 - Sep 5 with 720 viewsWallingford_Boy

Edmundson on 23:28 - Sep 4 by Geomorph

Lived in Wallingford for a year back in the late 80s… more atmosphere on the moon

The 80s?! Yeah it’s changed a bit now, cracking little market town, with 14 pubs too!

Where do you live now?

RIP Sir Bobby

Edmundson on 19:34 - Sep 5 with 666 viewsBlueBadger

Edmundson on 23:22 - Sep 4 by Wallingford_Boy

Try posting without saying the phrase “edgelord”, I dare ya!

I'd say 'tragic attention seeking sad sacks with less originality than a Muse cover band desperately trying to stay relevant with an endless stream of 'look at me, I'm talking sh1t, I mist be a bit woooo, little bit waaaaaayyyy"' but it's a lot to type every time.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024