Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing 11:54 - Sep 9 with 6730 viewshomer_123

respect?

It's not about individual fans.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 16:31 - Sep 9 with 1381 viewsSawtrich

I don't get how doing nothing (not playing) shows respect but a minute's silence, black armbands, national anthem, etc. isn't considered to be showing enough respect. Some sports are on, some are off, it's ridiculous.
I was due to run the Ipswich half marathon on Sunday and that is now cancelled but the Great North Run on the same day goes ahead. I appreciate whoever has to make these calls is in an impossible position as there will be complaints either way but it's very frustrating.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 16:32 - Sep 9 with 1377 viewsitfcjoe

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 16:11 - Sep 9 by SomethingBlue

*English rugby has handled it perfectly.

English rugby a sport for the upper class, Welsh rugby a sport for the working class so like the football authorities they have to fall in to line

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 16:52 - Sep 9 with 1314 viewsLankHenners

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 15:30 - Sep 9 by Illinoisblue

Rugby authorities behaving like sensible adults while the football chiefs collectively piss their pants and get it spectacularly wrong.

The men in suits at the football bodies jumped the gun so they could sit there all smug about how much #respect they were showing and the other sports are probably very happy to have some attention turned on them in football's absence.

Wonder if the likes of the rugby, cricket, golf etc. decision makers saw the (almost overwhelmingly negative) response to the football announcement and it firmed up their point of view a bit more.

Wonder also if they feel a bit regretful now several high profile journos, ex-players, assorted media types and the FSA have all come out and essentially called them clowns. Too late to backtrack and reverse the decision now anyway but what an unnecessary farce.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 16:59 - Sep 9 with 1297 viewshomer_123

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 16:31 - Sep 9 by Sawtrich

I don't get how doing nothing (not playing) shows respect but a minute's silence, black armbands, national anthem, etc. isn't considered to be showing enough respect. Some sports are on, some are off, it's ridiculous.
I was due to run the Ipswich half marathon on Sunday and that is now cancelled but the Great North Run on the same day goes ahead. I appreciate whoever has to make these calls is in an impossible position as there will be complaints either way but it's very frustrating.

Firstly - doing nothing or minutes silence etc. can both be showing respect - they are not mutually exclusive.

Secondly - as I've posted already - it's down to individual bodies to decide what to do - it is not being mandated from the state or government. So, it is to be expected that there will not be a common approach.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 17:06 - Sep 9 with 1280 viewsRadioOrwell

I don't see how not doing something shows respect.

Players / fans / clubs IE the Sport, could have 'actually - literally' shown respect by going ahead and worn armbands, played the national anthem etc
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 17:06 - Sep 9 with 1273 viewsRadlett_blue

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:15 - Sep 9 by hype313

The problem now though Homer is that the opening of the Rugby season is going ahead, the Cricket, Great North Run, Boxing.

Fair enough if all got cancelled but it's making it all a bit messy now.

Not at all. The government sensibly decided it was up to individual sporting bodies to decide for themselves what to do. As usual, the football authorities took the soft option of postponing fixtures as they felt this was less likely to attract critical comment.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 17:09 - Sep 9 with 1251 viewsN2_Blue

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 15:30 - Sep 9 by Illinoisblue

Rugby authorities behaving like sensible adults while the football chiefs collectively piss their pants and get it spectacularly wrong.

100%

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 17:17 - Sep 9 with 1222 viewsSawtrich

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 16:59 - Sep 9 by homer_123

Firstly - doing nothing or minutes silence etc. can both be showing respect - they are not mutually exclusive.

Secondly - as I've posted already - it's down to individual bodies to decide what to do - it is not being mandated from the state or government. So, it is to be expected that there will not be a common approach.

The point is that it has been decided that doing nothing shows more respect than black armbands, minute's silence etc. and therefore that is what will happen. I disagree.
Login to get fewer ads

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 18:12 - Sep 9 with 1172 viewsKievthegreat

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 13:19 - Sep 9 by PhilTWTD

Not just football, the cricket is off. Have been reading around, in 1901 the FA wanted games off but not all clubs went with that. In 1952 football matches were still on, the test match continued but rugby and hockey were off.

I'll be attending the opening game of the Ice Hockey season. There will be a 2 minute silence before the national anthem, a space for floral tributes to be laid inside the arena, all players donning black armbands and they are giving everyone a free drink so they can raise a toast to the Queen.

Feels better than no sport at all IMO.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 18:40 - Sep 9 with 1128 viewsBluroo

I’ve just received 2 letters from my kids school, one saying football matches have been cancelled tomorrow as a mark of respect, the other that Hockey matches will still take place…. as a mark of respect! Sums it all up for me. Exasperating and it’s only day 1.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 19:15 - Sep 9 with 1084 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 16:07 - Sep 9 by WeWereZombies

It is a different situation when millions are experiencing these feelings as they go through this point in our lives, do you think gestures and dispositions, even silences, can communicate a collective consciousness. Big idea I know but for many of us this is a time when we hear the ages scrape against each other and we do not want you to get left out, or left behind.

Eh?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 19:36 - Sep 9 with 1054 viewsDJR

For those of you concerned about respect, you could always get your fix by tuning into BBC Parliament and catching the end of the 10 hours of tributes/obsequiousness from MPs. I particularly enjoyed anti-royalist Liz Truss's take on it all.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 19:43]
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 22:53 - Sep 9 with 954 viewsPioneerBlue

Yes. This is about everyone else not you because your Saturday has been disrupted! I could have happily gone to football and stood side by side with fellow football fans as a way of celebrating ER’s life or take the 90 mins as a gift to invest in reflection and to spend time with fam and friends.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2022 15:14]

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 15:05 - Sep 10 with 775 viewsSawtrich

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 22:53 - Sep 9 by PioneerBlue

Yes. This is about everyone else not you because your Saturday has been disrupted! I could have happily gone to football and stood side by side with fellow football fans as a way of celebrating ER’s life or take the 90 mins as a gift to invest in reflection and to spend time with fam and friends.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2022 15:14]

I couldn't go to the Cambridge game anyway so my Saturday hasn't been disrupted. I was listening to the start of the cricket and it really confirmed for me that sport should be on. A minute's silence and a tremendous rendition of God Save The King, which the crowd spontaneously joined in with. To be honest it was the first time I'd felt truly emotional since the news broke.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 16:25 - Sep 10 with 750 viewsBigCommon

It's the right thing to do , for lot's of reasons..
You can't please all of the people, all of the time..
Those that are having a moan, will have forgotten all about it when we kick off on Tuesday night. The decision makers know this.
But if we fail to mark The Queens death, with the right level of respect, in the eyes of a large chunk of the population. Then, well. It's not as if they can back track and try again.
It's the safest option. Some people will just have to deal with it for a few days.
These decisions are made ,on behalf of a lot of people in favor of them.
If you don't want to respect The Queens death, in this way. Then just think of it, as tolerating the wishes of those people that do.
After all, we are all looking for a society where we tolerate each other. Whether we agree or disagree with each others stance.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 16:53 - Sep 10 with 725 viewsSawtrich

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 16:25 - Sep 10 by BigCommon

Those that are having a moan, will have forgotten all about it when we kick off on Tuesday night. The decision makers know this.
But if we fail to mark The Queens death, with the right level of respect, in the eyes of a large chunk of the population. Then, well. It's not as if they can back track and try again.
It's the safest option. Some people will just have to deal with it for a few days.
If you don't want to respect The Queens death, in this way. Then just think of it, as tolerating the wishes of those people that do.
After all, we are all looking for a society where we tolerate each other. Whether we agree or disagree with each others stance.

Yeah, fair enough. I understand people will have different opinions on this and there will be complaints whichever choice is made.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 17:05 - Sep 10 with 714 viewsericclacton

Wrong in so many ways.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 17:19 - Sep 10 with 688 viewsElephantintheRoom

Indeed they are - and some intriguing and historical spectacles are going on today that are a tad more interesting than Ipswich v Cambridge

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 17:34 - Sep 10 with 686 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The sight of everyone thinking that it would have been an easy decision to either go ahead or postpone fixtures this weekend is very entertaining.

50% pi55sed off either way.

It really doesn't matter.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 10:05 - Sep 11 with 584 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 16:25 - Sep 10 by BigCommon

There are a lot more who aren't in favour of this decision than are. So why should we tolerate the minority rather than them tolerate the majority who want to carry on as usual (whilst also paying their respects)?

Your argument is without logic. It's not even what the queen would have wanted and/or what the royals sanctioned. I'm flabbergasted that people are defending this ludicrous decision (whilst many other sports went ahead).

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 10:18 - Sep 11 with 577 viewsPassionNotAnger

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 10:05 - Sep 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

There are a lot more who aren't in favour of this decision than are. So why should we tolerate the minority rather than them tolerate the majority who want to carry on as usual (whilst also paying their respects)?

Your argument is without logic. It's not even what the queen would have wanted and/or what the royals sanctioned. I'm flabbergasted that people are defending this ludicrous decision (whilst many other sports went ahead).

Must have missed the referendum on the subject to ascertain what the majority feel?

you obviously have conducted your own extensive research so will assume you know better (laughably you even claim to know what the queen would have wanted) but I cannot fathom why this is about a majority having to “tolerate” a minority when this isn’t something either “side” have voted for, caused or even campaigned for it. It was imposed by a governing body very quickly.

If you have an issue with the decision (personally for what little it matters I wouldn’t have postponed the games) the your ire surely should be directed at the decision makers rather than than those who may happen to agree with it?
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 10:55 - Sep 11 with 554 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 10:18 - Sep 11 by PassionNotAnger

Must have missed the referendum on the subject to ascertain what the majority feel?

you obviously have conducted your own extensive research so will assume you know better (laughably you even claim to know what the queen would have wanted) but I cannot fathom why this is about a majority having to “tolerate” a minority when this isn’t something either “side” have voted for, caused or even campaigned for it. It was imposed by a governing body very quickly.

If you have an issue with the decision (personally for what little it matters I wouldn’t have postponed the games) the your ire surely should be directed at the decision makers rather than than those who may happen to agree with it?

Point 1: You only have to read social media for a bit to see the majority (even many monarchists) don't agree with cancelling events. You don't need a referendum.

Point 2: "We celebrate the value of sport as a means of bringing people together" - HM Queen Elizabeth. The Royal Family also stated there was no need for events to be cancelled. And many other sports didn't cancel.

Point 3: I'm replying to a poster on here who is defending the decision, and explaining why I think they're wrong. It's a messageboard for discussion. Whether I am or aren't also directing my ire at the decision makers is irrelevant.

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 11:03 - Sep 11 with 537 viewsRadlett_blue

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 10:18 - Sep 11 by PassionNotAnger

Ah yes - we need a referendum.
The one on Brexit worked well! As did the one on Scottish independence.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 13:18 - Sep 11 with 503 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 10:55 - Sep 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

Point 1: You only have to read social media for a bit to see the majority (even many monarchists) don't agree with cancelling events. You don't need a referendum.

Point 2: "We celebrate the value of sport as a means of bringing people together" - HM Queen Elizabeth. The Royal Family also stated there was no need for events to be cancelled. And many other sports didn't cancel.

Point 3: I'm replying to a poster on here who is defending the decision, and explaining why I think they're wrong. It's a messageboard for discussion. Whether I am or aren't also directing my ire at the decision makers is irrelevant.

LOL, a downarrow but no response.

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 13:55 - Sep 11 with 485 viewsWeWereZombies

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 10:55 - Sep 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

Point 1: Many people never joined in the anti social media charade so looking on FaceBook and Twitter is no way to find a majority view (and that is before we discuss the age old question of the tyranny of the majority...) And aren't people deserting that media in droves anyway ? You can try and change reality with opinion but if you try and live your life as reality doesn't exist then some damage is likely to occur.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024