Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing 11:54 - Sep 9 with 6729 viewshomer_123

respect?

It's not about individual fans.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:18 - Sep 9 with 855 viewsDarth_Koont

That doesn’t really make sense as there are other ways to pay respect as a sport.

I think this is much more about individuals heading the sport who will carry any can for a decision. And the inescapable realisation that it’s better to risk muted grumblings from a majority of fans that are forgotten by the next game. Rather than the much higher risk of really getting a particular minority’s backs up who will then never forgive or forget the perceived hurt and disrespect.

So I think far more of a straightforward personal, strategic and/or business decision than anything else.

Pronouns: He/Him

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:23 - Sep 9 with 835 viewsWeWereZombies

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:09 - Sep 9 by Swansea_Blue

I think that question you replied to was making the point that "the sport" includes the fans and the clubs. This is just the football authorities dictating how respect will be shown, but simultaneously denying others within the sport the opportunity to do so (sounds over-dramatic, but hopefully you see my point).

Grizzly hit the nail on the head imo. The Royal Family didn't want events to be cancelled (or at least were happy for them to carry on). It seems a bit odd to go against their wishes. it would have been a celebration too - imagine the scenes at West Ham last night scaled up all over the country. That would have given a lot of people the opportunity to show either what the Queen meant or at least to show togetherness and support the Royal Family.

but yes, it's not a major hardship to miss a match though. There will be logistic issues as all clubs will have prepared for the weekend, travel/accommodation all bought for fans/players, etc. So there'll certainly be a lot of waste. People who've lost travel and accomm who can't really afford it won't be happy. But it's not end of the world stuff for sure.

And anyway the Celtic v Rangers flashpoint was last weekend...Football still does have something of a reputation when it comes to violence flaring up and we saw a fair amount of disorder at the Euros final last year so, when police forces may be stretched elsewhere and there will be other preparations they have to make for the mourning period, I can understand the Football Associations of England, Northern Ireland and Scotland postponing this weekend's fixtures.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:23 - Sep 9 with 833 viewsDinDjarin

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:01 - Sep 9 by homer_123

Well, it is clear that those that run football for the Prem league and EFl deem it worthwhile for 'football' to show it's respect by not playing matches over the weekend.

They are just being moved to another date.

It's not a decision I particularly agree with but can understand - it's not exactly a hardship is it.

Not really a hardship but my lads games are called off Saturday and Sunday mornings and my girls Sunday afternoon in addition to the Ipswich match.

So I do not see what has been achieved by forcing people to have nothing to do and their plans changed at the last minute. Its basically enforced grieving.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:25 - Sep 9 with 828 viewsportmanking

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:15 - Sep 9 by hype313

The problem now though Homer is that the opening of the Rugby season is going ahead, the Cricket, Great North Run, Boxing.

Fair enough if all got cancelled but it's making it all a bit messy now.

It's utterly ridiculous. Blanket ban, fine. We all know where we stand. But just football? The Queen's sport was horseracing and even THAT is going ahead at some point this weekend!
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:25 - Sep 9 with 819 viewsSamWhiteUK

What is sport without the fans?
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:26 - Sep 9 with 798 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sport could show respect in a number of ways, with black armbands, lowered flags and minutes' silence.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:31 - Sep 9 with 765 viewshype313

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:25 - Sep 9 by portmanking

It's utterly ridiculous. Blanket ban, fine. We all know where we stand. But just football? The Queen's sport was horseracing and even THAT is going ahead at some point this weekend!

Because unfortunately Football has a minority of bell ends and the authorities probably deemed it best to call it off.

Liverpool at home could have been a nightmare.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:33 - Sep 9 with 761 viewsportmanking

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:31 - Sep 9 by hype313

Because unfortunately Football has a minority of bell ends and the authorities probably deemed it best to call it off.

Liverpool at home could have been a nightmare.

West Ham has its fair share of numpties. They showed plenty of class last night, no?
Login to get fewer ads

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:34 - Sep 9 with 760 viewshype313

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:33 - Sep 9 by portmanking

West Ham has its fair share of numpties. They showed plenty of class last night, no?

But in light of the current situation it's not about hooligans, it's about the fact that Liverpool have consistently been anti monarchy, whereas West Ham fans are united behind the Realm.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:35 - Sep 9 with 754 viewsmonytowbray

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:18 - Sep 9 by Darth_Koont

That doesn’t really make sense as there are other ways to pay respect as a sport.

I think this is much more about individuals heading the sport who will carry any can for a decision. And the inescapable realisation that it’s better to risk muted grumblings from a majority of fans that are forgotten by the next game. Rather than the much higher risk of really getting a particular minority’s backs up who will then never forgive or forget the perceived hurt and disrespect.

So I think far more of a straightforward personal, strategic and/or business decision than anything else.

I dunno, this news has annoyed a lot of people pro-Monarchy too, particularly seeing as their weekend plans are ruined but they’re all at work today.

Seems there is a limit in how much contempt the nationalist side of the British public will take. Institutional injustices and inequality they can live with, but with short term personal inconveniences people get annoyed.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:36 - Sep 9 with 737 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:01 - Sep 9 by homer_123

They were given the choice - worth noting that a number of other sports are not happening this weekend as a result.

It's also worth noting that some - like Rugby League - are going ahead as usual.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:37 - Sep 9 with 738 viewsportmanking

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:34 - Sep 9 by hype313

But in light of the current situation it's not about hooligans, it's about the fact that Liverpool have consistently been anti monarchy, whereas West Ham fans are united behind the Realm.

So give clubs the ability to postpone their own games in the national interest? If it's only a handful of neanderthal scousers we're worrying about, why can't the rest of the PL and EFL play?!
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:37 - Sep 9 with 737 viewsmonytowbray

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:34 - Sep 9 by hype313

Best never let any two clubs with a rivalry or conflicting history ever play again then. Or just ban football forever.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:42 - Sep 9 with 713 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:18 - Sep 9 by Darth_Koont

Chance of a knighthood for those at the top?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:42 - Sep 9 with 715 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:06 - Sep 9 by FrimleyBlue

I'm more concerned that you can show respect in much better ways than cancelling a weekend. Especially given the government gave them permission to do so.

What is happening is however. They've financially penalised alot of businesses and peoples.

They've played with the mental health of those who rely on sport. Something which should never be under appreciated. There have been posters on here who we've seen heavily rely on the weekend activity. No thoughts given about those.

I think everyone’s had enough practice of not being able to attend/do want they want recently. Its a monumental once in a life time event for the country really. You can do disagree with it but it’s hardly a massive deal in the grand scheme of things.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:43 - Sep 9 with 712 viewshomer_123

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:23 - Sep 9 by DinDjarin

Not really a hardship but my lads games are called off Saturday and Sunday mornings and my girls Sunday afternoon in addition to the Ipswich match.

So I do not see what has been achieved by forcing people to have nothing to do and their plans changed at the last minute. Its basically enforced grieving.

It's the same with my kids as well.

I don't agree with the enforced grieving bit though - football is postponed, that's it.

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:45 - Sep 9 with 703 viewsWeWereZombies

Also, the West Ham, Manchester United and Hearts games kicked off within three or four hours of people hearing the sad news. With many fans already travelling and staff already at the grounds it may have caused more confusion and disruption (especially for supporters from overseas) to cancel than to go ahead.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 12:53]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:45 - Sep 9 with 703 viewsTangledupin_Blue

It is virtue signalling by the football governing bodies.

And being forced into 'showing respect' renders the gesture completely meaningless.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:45 - Sep 9 with 699 viewsKieran_Knows

Point.

Homer.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:46 - Sep 9 with 698 viewshomer_123

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:37 - Sep 9 by portmanking

So give clubs the ability to postpone their own games in the national interest? If it's only a handful of neanderthal scousers we're worrying about, why can't the rest of the PL and EFL play?!

So, if you did let clubs postpone their own games and Town did, you would be OK with that?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:48 - Sep 9 with 688 viewsjaykay

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:06 - Sep 9 by FrimleyBlue

I'm more concerned that you can show respect in much better ways than cancelling a weekend. Especially given the government gave them permission to do so.

What is happening is however. They've financially penalised alot of businesses and peoples.

They've played with the mental health of those who rely on sport. Something which should never be under appreciated. There have been posters on here who we've seen heavily rely on the weekend activity. No thoughts given about those.

i agree its a farce but i don't agree on the mental health card being played , it smacks on the race card being played when its not called for. can these people who suffer metal health issues because football is cancelled do what they do in the close season.
i agree with you on all the other points thou

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:49 - Sep 9 with 691 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

I’m showing a lot of respect here. Missing the cricket today, footy tomorrow and the half marathon on Sunday.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:53 - Sep 9 with 667 viewsFrimleyBlue

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:48 - Sep 9 by jaykay

i agree its a farce but i don't agree on the mental health card being played , it smacks on the race card being played when its not called for. can these people who suffer metal health issues because football is cancelled do what they do in the close season.
i agree with you on all the other points thou

Some of those people struggle with close season so no it's not just an easy thing to say to them. This will have a big effect on them this weekend. It might not appear to be a big thing for some but I've seen the effects on others.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:55 - Sep 9 with 665 viewsZXBlue

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:49 - Sep 9 by WestStanderLaLaLa

I’m showing a lot of respect here. Missing the cricket today, footy tomorrow and the half marathon on Sunday.

The whole concept of showing respect is meaningless nonsense. Its a display of how respectful you are for the benefit of how others see you. It's a societal expectation with no obvious logic.

I wonder if it all really stems from that human inclination to feel guilty about doing something enjoyable when someone else has died.
Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:57 - Sep 9 with 650 viewshomer_123

Are people missing the fact that this is about the 'sport' showing on 12:45 - Sep 9 by Tangledupin_Blue

It is virtue signalling by the football governing bodies.

And being forced into 'showing respect' renders the gesture completely meaningless.

But here's my point. You, personally, are not being forced to show respect. You aren't even missing the match as it will be moved to another (I do understand that some won't be able to attend but the point being the match still goes ahead on another date).

I do understand the frustration some have and, as I have said, it's not a decision I overly agree with but I do understand it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024