Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Morsy (and other stuff).... 16:25 - Sep 25 with 4607 viewsBloots

...he needs to stop trying to live up to his reputation as a "thug".

Evans isn't much better in this respect.

It's always going to be difficult trying to see out games when both of your central midfielders are constantly sitting on yellow cards.

Morsy in particular appears to lack any sort of intelligence when it comes to this sort of thing.

Chaplin was poor in general today, even without taking into account his pathetic dive that led to their first goal.

Can't blame the ref today, he was relatively poor but we gained as much as they did from his decisions.

Poor substitutions from KM, taking Ladapo off was wrong, he seems to be getting into a rut of just substituting the same players each week (see Leif Davis). If he is going to keep making changes they need to be like for like, not changes that mean 2 or 3 players have to rotate to make them fit.

Whittaker and Mumba were the stand out players today, better than anything we had on the pitch.

Not good all round today.

We need to stuff Portsmouth now.

[Post edited 25 Sep 2022 16:28]

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 16:29 - Sep 25 with 3494 viewsCopfordBlue

Evans and Morsy are the reason we have made such a good start to the season. Take that edge away from their game and we lose a lot. This is our fourth season in the third division but the first time we’ve had a team with the mentality and physicality to compete.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

You can still have "an edge".... on 16:32 - Sep 25 with 3463 viewsBloots

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 16:29 - Sep 25 by CopfordBlue

Evans and Morsy are the reason we have made such a good start to the season. Take that edge away from their game and we lose a lot. This is our fourth season in the third division but the first time we’ve had a team with the mentality and physicality to compete.

...without getting booked, particularly halfway through the first half.

As I said, he lacks some intelligence in this department.

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 16:33 - Sep 25 with 3445 viewsDJR

The issue with them is that they tend to struggle (especially away) against the better teams. You certainly wouldn't say after Sheffield Wednesday and today that Morsy is the best player in the league. Perhaps time for Ball to give us a bit more steel in such games, or to play three in midfield, particularly given the fact that in both games we have not played our possession game as much.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2022 16:35]
Morsy (and other stuff).... on 16:38 - Sep 25 with 3395 viewsTheBoyBlue

For years we've been complaining about us being 'too nice', now we've got a bit of bite and it's a real plus point generally. Obviously needs to be controlled and occasionally it isn't, as was exhibited today, but overall I'm pleased to see it.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

You can still have "an edge".... on 16:38 - Sep 25 with 3396 viewsCopfordBlue

You can still have "an edge".... on 16:32 - Sep 25 by Bloots

...without getting booked, particularly halfway through the first half.

As I said, he lacks some intelligence in this department.

He’s got flaws, it’s why he’s playing at this level rather than higher up. I agree it wasn’t helpful having the pair of them on yellow cards and as Sky were so keen to point out Morsy could have got a red. Overall though the pair of them are doing a really good job and if they tone it down we may lose more than we gain.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 16:41 - Sep 25 with 3358 viewsLankHenners

Evans is an odd one. Started the season very well but the last couple of games has had performances reminiscent of some of his ones under Cook. Just a bit skitty and guilty of rushing into try to make a tackle or interception and leaving a gap behind him in front of the defence. Passing not quite as good either. If I were Ball I'd be thinking surely it's my time soon.

Had thought Morsy had been better at restraining himself so far but a couple of games now he's got a silly booking earlyish on which obviously hampers how fierce (in a controlled way) he can be for the rest of the game. 5th booking could well be soon so could do with Camara getting fit as he's the clear replacement.

Made a similar point re: subs elsewhere so won't bother repeating it all but yeah, can see why he does it but works better against crap teams who can't deal with the fresh legs, not decent teams who adapt and spin it to their advantage. If he wanted to take Ladapo off he should have put Ahadme on to keep a big man on to hold things up.

Wonder if Aluko's a bigger miss than potentially first thought - the man you want for a bit of control and calmness.

Need to smack the smirk off Cowley's face next week - perfect way to put this little sticky spell behind us.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 17:03 - Sep 25 with 3207 viewscbower

Yes,central midfielders need an edge but Morsy's first half challenge was appalling. Have an edge but at least go for the ball. The replays show where he put his foot in', the ball had never even been there. He wasn't late, it was stupid and reckless. Having said that, he is head and shoulders above any other player we have.

bluescouser

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 17:12 - Sep 25 with 3135 viewsVegtablue

Yes was watching with one-day-only Ipswich supporters today who evolved into Plymouth fans as our tackles flew in! Aggression without studs going forward hopefully.
Login to get fewer ads

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 17:24 - Sep 25 with 3061 viewsMullet

I'd put Ball in for Evans next week and see if we can simplify our game a little. Evans has rehabilitated himself a lot but Morsy seemed to lose his head completely today.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 17:30 - Sep 25 with 3004 viewsPompey1234

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 16:33 - Sep 25 by DJR

The issue with them is that they tend to struggle (especially away) against the better teams. You certainly wouldn't say after Sheffield Wednesday and today that Morsy is the best player in the league. Perhaps time for Ball to give us a bit more steel in such games, or to play three in midfield, particularly given the fact that in both games we have not played our possession game as much.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2022 16:35]

Best midfielder is Marlon Pack
Morsy (and other stuff).... on 17:34 - Sep 25 with 2953 viewspointofblue

Morsy and Evans will be good enough against the poorer teams in the division. They don't seem to be when it comes to the stronger sides.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

You won't be saying that.... on 17:42 - Sep 25 with 2882 viewsBloots

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 17:30 - Sep 25 by Pompey1234

Best midfielder is Marlon Pack

....once he's spent all Saturday evening sitting in A&E having The Egyptian King's studs surgically removed from his neck.

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 17:47 - Sep 25 with 2840 viewsnshearman1

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 16:41 - Sep 25 by LankHenners

Evans is an odd one. Started the season very well but the last couple of games has had performances reminiscent of some of his ones under Cook. Just a bit skitty and guilty of rushing into try to make a tackle or interception and leaving a gap behind him in front of the defence. Passing not quite as good either. If I were Ball I'd be thinking surely it's my time soon.

Had thought Morsy had been better at restraining himself so far but a couple of games now he's got a silly booking earlyish on which obviously hampers how fierce (in a controlled way) he can be for the rest of the game. 5th booking could well be soon so could do with Camara getting fit as he's the clear replacement.

Made a similar point re: subs elsewhere so won't bother repeating it all but yeah, can see why he does it but works better against crap teams who can't deal with the fresh legs, not decent teams who adapt and spin it to their advantage. If he wanted to take Ladapo off he should have put Ahadme on to keep a big man on to hold things up.

Wonder if Aluko's a bigger miss than potentially first thought - the man you want for a bit of control and calmness.

Need to smack the smirk off Cowley's face next week - perfect way to put this little sticky spell behind us.

Couldn't agree more re Ball - think he was needed as a sub in both the last two League games while we were in front. I feel McKenna is over-committed to Morsy.
Morsy (and other stuff).... on 17:48 - Sep 25 with 2810 viewspointofblue

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 17:47 - Sep 25 by nshearman1

Couldn't agree more re Ball - think he was needed as a sub in both the last two League games while we were in front. I feel McKenna is over-committed to Morsy.

Or not adding an extra man to centre midfield for some reason.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 18:10 - Sep 25 with 2668 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Agree with that, although I thought Chaplin had a really influential spell in the middle of the first half.

Morsy would be sent off regularly with VAR. As you say, all for a bit of edge but his booking today was completely needless - he was then nothing like as strong in winnable 50-50s second half.

You can see why they wanted Keane or similar. Moving KJ up top when we swap out Ladapo is never going to be the one.

Thought Whittaker was excellent. Their GK the best I’ve seen for a long while against us at this level.
Morsy (and other stuff).... on 18:26 - Sep 25 with 2567 viewsibbleobble

“It's always going to be difficult trying to see out games when both of your central midfielders are constantly sitting on yellow cards.”

Why is it? They don’t have to make crunching tackles or walk a tight rope with robust challenges when on yellows, just a little more restraint is required, which is easy to do to see out games.
Morsy (and other stuff).... on 18:50 - Sep 25 with 2490 viewsDubtractor

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 18:26 - Sep 25 by ibbleobble

“It's always going to be difficult trying to see out games when both of your central midfielders are constantly sitting on yellow cards.”

Why is it? They don’t have to make crunching tackles or walk a tight rope with robust challenges when on yellows, just a little more restraint is required, which is easy to do to see out games.

Because it means they can no longer make tactical fouls to spoil the flow, or stop counter attacks, or they have to bottle fifty fifties.

It's easy to not get sent off, but you lose an important edge in the middle of the pitch.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 19:01 - Sep 25 with 2458 viewsSwansea_Blue

Morsy’s an odd one isn’t he. He obviously not daft, as he’s thinking miles ahead of anyone else when he’s on the ball. But his decisions about when to lunge in are mind blowingly stupid. They seems to unravel in slow motion and you can see him about to do something stupid a mile off. 9 out of 10 refs give a red card today. He was lucky because this ref was happy to see a physical game (which in the main worked really well and made for a better game imo).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 19:41 - Sep 25 with 2330 viewsibbleobble

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 18:50 - Sep 25 by Dubtractor

Because it means they can no longer make tactical fouls to spoil the flow, or stop counter attacks, or they have to bottle fifty fifties.

It's easy to not get sent off, but you lose an important edge in the middle of the pitch.

That’s the nature of it though. Quality professionals can still get a yellow in the early stages and walk that line competitively all game. The art is in not being embroiled or sucked into situations to warrant a red or to lose an edge in the game.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2022 19:46]
Morsy (and other stuff).... on 19:54 - Sep 25 with 2200 viewsNthQldITFC

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 17:48 - Sep 25 by pointofblue

Or not adding an extra man to centre midfield for some reason.

I totally agree with this. Last two games have been crying out for that option, Sheffield for the last half hour, and today for most of the game. Today Morsy and Evans both sat too deep most of the time.

A Morsy/Evans/Ball three with a 9 and a single 10 in a free roll, but mostly on the left would work, given our advanced RWB setup. That leaves the defence undisturbed, and would be one helluva solid controlling block for us in the middle of the pitch.

We need to add that option as a 'go to' setup for games like these.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 19:57 - Sep 25 with 2173 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Just a slightly different vieww.

Morsy's "tackle" was a red card, no question

Evans's booking was simply ridiculous. And a free-kick to Plymouth to boot!? Not for me. Our free kick there.

And yes you can blame the ref. Not for us losing the game, that was largely due to our headless chicken 15 minutes after they equalised, but no booking for a Plymouth player? Really? When Mumba tried to break Donacien's ankle? A tackle the ref was looking straight at?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 20:04 - Sep 25 with 2118 viewsSimonds92

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 16:38 - Sep 25 by TheBoyBlue

For years we've been complaining about us being 'too nice', now we've got a bit of bite and it's a real plus point generally. Obviously needs to be controlled and occasionally it isn't, as was exhibited today, but overall I'm pleased to see it.

I agree we have always been a bit too soft but for me Morsy could have easily got sent off for a tackle he doesn't need to make. That is stupidity, not getting stuck in when its a crucial tackle in the middle of the park. By the way, ultimately we are still soft, to drop 5 points we have in the last 2 games shows we are soft and unable to manage games, leaving one on the opposition in their half of the pitch doesn'tchange that. It really is a horrible Ipswich trait we've had for years.
Morsy (and other stuff).... on 20:32 - Sep 25 with 1965 viewsshamboy

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 20:04 - Sep 25 by Simonds92

I agree we have always been a bit too soft but for me Morsy could have easily got sent off for a tackle he doesn't need to make. That is stupidity, not getting stuck in when its a crucial tackle in the middle of the park. By the way, ultimately we are still soft, to drop 5 points we have in the last 2 games shows we are soft and unable to manage games, leaving one on the opposition in their half of the pitch doesn'tchange that. It really is a horrible Ipswich trait we've had for years.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. An awful lot of referees will be watching the game snd will now be talking about Morsy amonst others, and not in a helpful way.
Morsy (and other stuff).... on 07:33 - Sep 26 with 1523 viewsSteve_M

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 16:41 - Sep 25 by LankHenners

Yes, was disappointed in Evans in particular yesterday but Bloots's main point is definitely correct - far too many stupid fouls (and I thought the Harness one was a red in real time too).

My main criticism of the ref would be letting a couple of fairly blatant fouls from them off without a booking.

The lack of control at 1-1 was very reminiscent of the last 15 at Hillsborough, as good as Plymouth were, and Wendesday in that period, we've been much, much better at controlling games under McKenna and needed to do that again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Morsy (and other stuff).... on 08:01 - Sep 26 with 1460 viewsabracaDOBRA_

We've said for years we need more bite and aggression in the middle and that's what he offers. If he didn't people would say we are a soft touch
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024