Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 09:35 - Nov 9 with 26161 viewsgtsb1966

Just trying to earn a living. Enough is enough. Time to get heavy with this lot.
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 09:52 - Nov 9 with 6264 viewsbazza

Go Chuck some more tins of soup round gallery’s and let people already struggling get to
Work And earn their wages to pay their bills get on with their lives, it’s depressing enough as it is.
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 09:56 - Nov 9 with 6251 viewsunstableblue

I'm not sure I can ever condone Just Stop Oil closing the M25, and sorry that you are having a nightmare travelling as a result.

But I listened to their spokesman on the World at One yesterday, and I'd urge you to try and dig it out. It was very clear and compelling. They hate that they are causing this, but what else can they do?

Perhaps it's time to get heavy with the government for not acting? As a group they have tried every route, petitions, protests, lobbying, you name it. And yet still in 2022 we don't have a strategy to insulate the UK housing stock (which literally pisses energy out of the walls and rooves of homes) with the government being incompetent in resolving. AND we are about to incentivise and agree 100 new oil & gas exploration licenses, 100! in 2022.

There is no real strategy from our government, just platitudes. It needs a massive sea change in policy, and one I feel could actually generate much needed green growth.

Everyone is living for today, and can't connect with the implications of what Just Stop Oil are warning about, but you are already beginning to pay through taxes and utility bills for climate resilience measures today.... billions today, trillions in the future.

Doesn't make up for the massive inconvenience caused to you on such a key motorway, but again what else can they do? everyone is sticking their fingers in their ears, and thinking this problem is not real, or too far off to connect with... and yet action today (which is what Just Stop Oil are asking) could save billions of pounds tomorrow.

Even if 25% of the climate change predictions we are on track for become a reality we will be massively challenged - you think immigration is a challenge today!! If 100% and the complex system tipping points take place, earth ain't a great place to live for our grandchildren.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 09:56 - Nov 9 with 6241 viewsGuthrum

Is that due to a protest, or just the M25?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:03 - Nov 9 with 6214 viewsGuthrum

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 09:56 - Nov 9 by unstableblue

I'm not sure I can ever condone Just Stop Oil closing the M25, and sorry that you are having a nightmare travelling as a result.

But I listened to their spokesman on the World at One yesterday, and I'd urge you to try and dig it out. It was very clear and compelling. They hate that they are causing this, but what else can they do?

Perhaps it's time to get heavy with the government for not acting? As a group they have tried every route, petitions, protests, lobbying, you name it. And yet still in 2022 we don't have a strategy to insulate the UK housing stock (which literally pisses energy out of the walls and rooves of homes) with the government being incompetent in resolving. AND we are about to incentivise and agree 100 new oil & gas exploration licenses, 100! in 2022.

There is no real strategy from our government, just platitudes. It needs a massive sea change in policy, and one I feel could actually generate much needed green growth.

Everyone is living for today, and can't connect with the implications of what Just Stop Oil are warning about, but you are already beginning to pay through taxes and utility bills for climate resilience measures today.... billions today, trillions in the future.

Doesn't make up for the massive inconvenience caused to you on such a key motorway, but again what else can they do? everyone is sticking their fingers in their ears, and thinking this problem is not real, or too far off to connect with... and yet action today (which is what Just Stop Oil are asking) could save billions of pounds tomorrow.

Even if 25% of the climate change predictions we are on track for become a reality we will be massively challenged - you think immigration is a challenge today!! If 100% and the complex system tipping points take place, earth ain't a great place to live for our grandchildren.

There is an issue with adequately insulating a lot of UK housing stock - it's not technically straightfoward. Many older Victorian terraced houses (such as the one I live in) could only be done with external cladding*. My neighbours would also have to clad the side of their house, as the end of a row, but intruding several inches into their set back neighbour's drive.

* Or internal, considerably reducing the size of rooms, with hugely deep door/window recesses and requiring full redecoration.

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:05 - Nov 9 with 6191 viewsnoggin

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:11 - Nov 9 with 6157 viewsPinewoodblue

Now that a group called Animsl rebellion, campaigning for plant based food, have joined in it all seems pointless.

Difficult to get your message over if others, not associated with your objectives, join in.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:20 - Nov 9 with 6114 viewsbazza

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 09:56 - Nov 9 by unstableblue

They need to Think outside of the box..look at the media attention Banksey wall art gets, or when those weird monolith things appeared.. if they came up with a decent strategy to draw maximum attention without the disruption to the general
Public, they’d have far more support.. climbing on a gantry with a sign to grind people to a halt is just having the opposite affect.
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:23 - Nov 9 with 6105 viewscatch74

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 09:56 - Nov 9 by Guthrum

Is that due to a protest, or just the M25?

That road is a joke. I had the pleasure of having a commute from Guildford to Hemel Hempstead for a year. J10 to J20. This was 20 years ago though, so as my job wasn’t peak travel time it wasn’t so much of an issue, I just wouldn’t do that journey for work now, almost any time of the day.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Login to get fewer ads

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:25 - Nov 9 with 6101 viewsStokieBlue

At least it'll stop any migrants trying to get north of the M25 or to Suffolk via the A12 so you should be commending them.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:26 - Nov 9 with 6073 viewsRadlett_blue

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:03 - Nov 9 by Guthrum

There is an issue with adequately insulating a lot of UK housing stock - it's not technically straightfoward. Many older Victorian terraced houses (such as the one I live in) could only be done with external cladding*. My neighbours would also have to clad the side of their house, as the end of a row, but intruding several inches into their set back neighbour's drive.

* Or internal, considerably reducing the size of rooms, with hugely deep door/window recesses and requiring full redecoration.

The climate/energy debate is very valid, but the problem is that effecting meaningful change costs a lot of money & are people going to vote in a government which says is will force the taxpayer to fund this? So politicians prefer to make meaningless pronouncements, such as "net zero in 40 years" for which they won't be accountable.
I don't condone Just Stop Oil's disruptive disobedience, but I have to agree that it's been a very effective way of getting attention on their cause.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:33 - Nov 9 with 6029 viewsGuthrum

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:26 - Nov 9 by Radlett_blue

The climate/energy debate is very valid, but the problem is that effecting meaningful change costs a lot of money & are people going to vote in a government which says is will force the taxpayer to fund this? So politicians prefer to make meaningless pronouncements, such as "net zero in 40 years" for which they won't be accountable.
I don't condone Just Stop Oil's disruptive disobedience, but I have to agree that it's been a very effective way of getting attention on their cause.

Another alternative would be for people to heat their homes less and wear more clothes (as was the case before central heating was invented). There's no actual need to be able to sit around in just pants and a t-shirt.

Saves money and burnt hydrocarbons.

Edit: I go into a lot of other people's houses and frequently find them too hot.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2022 10:37]

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:33 - Nov 9 with 6020 viewsbrazil1982

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:26 - Nov 9 by Radlett_blue

Have they targeted other areas of the country? All seems to be M25. Mind you, you wouldn't notice the difference on the M62.
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:35 - Nov 9 with 6008 viewsLankHenners

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:20 - Nov 9 by bazza

They need to Think outside of the box..look at the media attention Banksey wall art gets, or when those weird monolith things appeared.. if they came up with a decent strategy to draw maximum attention without the disruption to the general
Public, they’d have far more support.. climbing on a gantry with a sign to grind people to a halt is just having the opposite affect.

They tried that by chucking paint around an art gallery but that was deemed to be a disgrace as well.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:36 - Nov 9 with 5984 viewsJ2BLUE

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:11 - Nov 9 by Pinewoodblue

Now that a group called Animsl rebellion, campaigning for plant based food, have joined in it all seems pointless.

Difficult to get your message over if others, not associated with your objectives, join in.

Yet here you are, talking about one group on a thread about the other so both have clearly made some sort of impact.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:42 - Nov 9 with 5933 viewsSitfcB

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:25 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

At least it'll stop any migrants trying to get north of the M25 or to Suffolk via the A12 so you should be commending them.

SB

Every cloud.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:42 - Nov 9 with 5936 viewsBloomBlue

I still don't understand why they have to close the road. If they want to sit on a gantry and protest then let them but let the traffic flow as normal. I really don't see why they need to half/fully close the road simply because someone has chosen to sit on a gantry
Same when they closed the Dartford crossing bridge, why ?
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:43 - Nov 9 with 5933 viewsGuthrum

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:42 - Nov 9 by BloomBlue

I still don't understand why they have to close the road. If they want to sit on a gantry and protest then let them but let the traffic flow as normal. I really don't see why they need to half/fully close the road simply because someone has chosen to sit on a gantry

Even if you care nothing for the protestors themselves, you wouldn't want to be the car underneath if they fell.

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 (n/t) on 10:48 - Nov 9 with 5894 viewsTalkingBlues

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:25 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

SB

Tried to add a funny picture, couldn't get it to work, I've given up now
[Post edited 9 Nov 2022 11:11]

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:49 - Nov 9 with 5863 viewsRadlett_blue

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:33 - Nov 9 by Guthrum

Another alternative would be for people to heat their homes less and wear more clothes (as was the case before central heating was invented). There's no actual need to be able to sit around in just pants and a t-shirt.

Edit: I go into a lot of other people's houses and frequently find them too hot.

100% this. When Autumn arrived, we tried to stave off introducing the central heating by wearing 3 layers of clothes. Nothing wrong with wearing a sweater at home & turning the thermostat down. Doesn't work quite so well for old people, who have poorer blood circulation (I do now feel the cold more) & are usually less active.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:51 - Nov 9 with 5854 viewsGuthrum

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:49 - Nov 9 by Radlett_blue

100% this. When Autumn arrived, we tried to stave off introducing the central heating by wearing 3 layers of clothes. Nothing wrong with wearing a sweater at home & turning the thermostat down. Doesn't work quite so well for old people, who have poorer blood circulation (I do now feel the cold more) & are usually less active.

Older people already get a heating allowance, which could be beefed up at only moderate cost.

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:51 - Nov 9 with 5858 viewsPinewoodblue

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:42 - Nov 9 by BloomBlue

Off subject but they should follow the example of Burnley FC.

Anyone remember the parachutist who landed in the roof of the away stand, put his foot through it in the process.

They delayed kick off but gave up in the end, as emergency service access was blocked by parked vehicles, just left him there until later.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 11:08 - Nov 9 with 5768 viewsSwansea_Blue

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 10:11 - Nov 9 by Pinewoodblue

Just from their titles it's pretty obvious their goals are linked. Animal rebellion will presumably be wanting a sustainable food supply away from climate change contributing mass animal farming, and JSO want a sustainable energy supply away from climate-change contributing fossil fuel burning. It's not rocket science.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 11:16 - Nov 9 with 5725 viewshoppy

Would you find them less hot if they had more clothes on?

Is that what you're saying?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 12:05 - Nov 9 with 5568 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Yes you do, and in future you must put some trousers on. You scared the kids.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 12:08 - Nov 9 with 5555 viewsGuthrum

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 12:05 - Nov 9 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yes you do, and in future you must put some trousers on. You scared the kids.

My trousers are pretty scary, too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024