Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 09:35 - Nov 9 with 26316 viewsgtsb1966

Just trying to earn a living. Enough is enough. Time to get heavy with this lot.
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 15:03 - Nov 9 with 2075 viewsDarth_Koont

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 13:39 - Nov 9 by Swansea_Blue

I get the feeling he politics through focus group responses. Maybe that's not fair, but he seems out of touch with what you'd expect from a leader of Labour (e.g. initially banning his MPs form supporting unions campaigning for fair wages, now criticising environmental protestors whilst also calling for more authoritarian police response). It's as if someone has told him these are the stances that will appeal to the most people, rather than leading according to Labour values.

I still like the idea of better though!

Better than the Tories isn’t good enough per se. And I don’t even think it’s that clear his Labour will be better– seems more likely that we’ll become completely rudderless when we realise the inadequacy and dishonesty of the man and the right-wing, self-interested politics of his key supporters. When even the hope of change goes then UK politics and debate will unravel even more.

The understandable rejection of Westminster politics is already well under way across the regions and far too many voters. Starmer is the latest and perhaps final nail in the coffin of the UK.

But I think we’re at the point – and certainly based on the last decade or more where we’ve tied ourselves into knots through our awful and shonky politics – where that’s ultimately a good thing for millions of people.

So yeah, I’ll take “better” too 😀

Pronouns: He/Him

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 15:08 - Nov 9 with 2062 viewsNthQldITFC

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 13:53 - Nov 9 by Swansea_Blue

Ah no, I didn't mean O'brien. I agree that JSO are effectively raising the issue into the media - it's the people turning the public against JSO I was having a go at.

'pologies. I'm full of rage at the moment, and not reading as clearly as I might - I'm mad as hell and I'm just not gonna take this anymore!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 15:17 - Nov 9 with 2034 viewsnoggin

I read somewhere that Elon's Spacex rocket produces more CO2 in a fifteen minute flight into orbit, than the poorest 1 billion people do in their collective lifetimes.
*I haven't researched to find out if it's true.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 15:17 - Nov 9 with 2027 viewseireblue

Just trying to save the human race. Enough is Enough. Time to get heavy.
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 15:18 - Nov 9 with 2017 viewsJ2BLUE

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 15:17 - Nov 9 by noggin

I read somewhere that Elon's Spacex rocket produces more CO2 in a fifteen minute flight into orbit, than the poorest 1 billion people do in their collective lifetimes.
*I haven't researched to find out if it's true.

That is insane if true.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 15:29 - Nov 9 with 2004 viewsDanTheMan

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 14:55 - Nov 9 by allezlesbleus

I also fail to see how thousands of vehicles moving very slowly on said motorway is helping to cut global warming???

They are protesting against the Government opening new oil and gas fields in the North Sea, something which will cause much more damage than thousands of cars idling for hours on end.

We have been told repeatedly that we cannot create more sources of fossil fuels but the Government obviously wasn't listening to the IPCC. It's all well and good Sunak going to COP26 and saying how important stopping climate change is but then he comes back here and just ignores what he's said.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2022 15:31]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 15:30 - Nov 9 with 2001 viewsDanTheMan

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 15:18 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

That is insane if true.

This comes from the world inequality report
https://wir2022.wid.world/chapter-6/

Under heading Box 6.2

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 15:49 - Nov 9 with 1964 viewsNthQldITFC

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 14:40 - Nov 9 by Ryorry

More age-ism.

Just for balance, this "poor old mum" has her heating at 14C during the day, 18C in the evenings, & is extremly active during most daylight hours apart from when sitting at laptop furiously pounding out posts on TWTD, which generates a fair bit of heat in its own right anyway

Re the last bit - you and me both, sister!

Login to get fewer ads

Brilliant report - thanks. The inequality shines through, but also the increase. on 16:39 - Nov 9 with 1918 viewsunstableblue

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 15:30 - Nov 9 by DanTheMan

This comes from the world inequality report
https://wir2022.wid.world/chapter-6/

Under heading Box 6.2

... since the 1980s!

The sub-Saharan emissions per capita is so low compared to developed western countries, yet they'll get the brunt of it. Really telling.

Also feck me that increase:

Global emissions billion tonnes per year:
- 1950 - 10.9bn
- 1980 - 30.2bn
- 2000 - 35.3bn
- 2019 - 50.1bn

Crazy! Exxon Mobile released their internal research warning of climate change in 1977!! Thatcher stood at the UN in 1988 and warned very clearly... and we had a 15bn tonne increase between 2000 to 2019.

Don't look up!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 16:56 - Nov 9 with 1899 viewsunstableblue

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 13:28 - Nov 9 by Swansea_Blue

I think you have to see the impact on the ground in places that are more vulnerable than the UK - so listen to the inuits who are losing their hunting lifestyle, which effectively means the end of their communities and way of life. Listen to those pacific Islanders who are having to abandon islands because they now flood too regularly (or at best have to spend parts of their lives now living with flood water in their homes). There are examples all over the place, but not obviously close to home. That's the challenge and why we see people genuinely thinking climate change is be a good thing because we'll be able to grow more vineyards in the UK. but it's not just about us (the 0.8% of the world's population).

The pacific islanders are pretty much fecked now.. too late... one of the big factors there is that these small islands/atols did have ground water.. but due to increasing drought and sea level rise it became contaminated with sea water

This was being highlighted in the 2000s.. nothing done... so migration, desalination plants or bottled water at scale

But these tend to be 'poster' examples of global warming... but there are bigger fundamentals such as Western USA drought

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 16:58 - Nov 9 with 1895 viewsStokieBlue

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 16:56 - Nov 9 by unstableblue

The pacific islanders are pretty much fecked now.. too late... one of the big factors there is that these small islands/atols did have ground water.. but due to increasing drought and sea level rise it became contaminated with sea water

This was being highlighted in the 2000s.. nothing done... so migration, desalination plants or bottled water at scale

But these tend to be 'poster' examples of global warming... but there are bigger fundamentals such as Western USA drought

It's actually a "mega-drought" now, the driest period for 1,200 years.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 17:26 - Nov 9 with 1852 viewseireblue

It is kind of funny, we use the word dinosaur as a derogatory term.

Seems to me Dinosaurs were quite successful, if it wasn’t for that pesky asteroid.

A future intelligent species will have a word derived from the archeological record to indicate a spectacular failure.

They were leading 4-2 with a couple of minutes to go and completely humaned it up.
2 key points Guthrum on 17:33 - Nov 9 with 1838 viewsNthQldITFC

2 key points Guthrum on 13:12 - Nov 9 by unstableblue

Firstly insulating older housing stock costs money.. and that's where the government bottled the 3 or 4 'green deals' they tried and failed to launch - the simple fact is that the Capex to insulate older properties, is high cost in some cases, and so a payback of reduced energy bills is sometime 4-8 years. But it is incredibly logical and beneficial - a cheap government backed loan to do it. Payback via savings in gas central heating costs. Then the home is cheaper to run and less CO2 intensive. Its exactly the mind set we all need to move to.

You can technically insulate Victorian and older housing stock. My home is 1860. My first step was celotex between the roof joists, then a very thick layer of traditional loft insultation above that - wasn't that expensive and made huge differences. I then installed some quality secondary glazing over a number of years. Again this was a game changer. Through this time I also put celotex underneath floors on ground level. Again siginificant, as hanging floor. The most challenging as you are eluding to was the walls.... I found a breathable, 'thin' solution, which has made crazy gains. The house now is akin to a modern property and we barely need the heating on. It just needs some money and effort. And its already paid back itself given the crazy price of fuel oil, and our CO2 footoring is tiny.

People need to see this as a priority, AND the government need to back people to do it. But its too hard and too forward thinking.

Superb, inspirational post. Well done and thanks.

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 17:38 - Nov 9 with 1826 viewsSwailsey

Presumably you want a world to exist in which you can earn a living right? Or do you only care about the here and now?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 18:34 - Nov 9 with 1784 viewsallezlesbleus

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 14:59 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

It's an irrelevance to climate change (global warming is a non-specific term).

The point is to raise the awareness of the issues, not reduced the carbon emitted on the 9th November 2022.

The fact you've not grasped this simply highlights the need for more such protests.

SB

https://www.bbc.com/news/63544995

Perhaps this is a better way of demonstrating, that would get the general public's support?
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 18:50 - Nov 9 with 1765 viewsStokieBlue

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 18:34 - Nov 9 by allezlesbleus

https://www.bbc.com/news/63544995

Perhaps this is a better way of demonstrating, that would get the general public's support?

Has it gotten your support? Have you decided to change your ways because of it?

Do you think many of the UK public have read about that protest in comparison to how many have read about the M25 protest?

I suspect far fewer people are aware of that protest than the M25 one, for instance, I wasn't aware of it

SB
[Post edited 9 Nov 2022 18:50]

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:00 - Nov 9 with 1736 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 18:50 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

Do you think many of the UK public have read about that protest in comparison to how many have read about the M25 protest?

I suspect far fewer people are aware of that protest than the M25 one, for instance, I wasn't aware of it

SB

Me neither.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:03 - Nov 9 with 1734 viewslowhouseblue

i'm not convinced that inflicting random inconvenience on people has changed anyone's mind about climate change for the better. the people who support the protesters already did, everyone who is impacted by the action is just made angry.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:11 - Nov 9 with 1689 viewsbackwaywhen

Why close the M25 when they get onto the overhead signs , why nor ignore them and carry on , you’ll only have to do this once , surely that particular strategy would stop . Don’t even pay them any attention, just wait for he or she to climb down then bang them up for at least 5 years …….. job done ……… cretins.
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:18 - Nov 9 with 1653 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:03 - Nov 9 by lowhouseblue

i'm not convinced that inflicting random inconvenience on people has changed anyone's mind about climate change for the better. the people who support the protesters already did, everyone who is impacted by the action is just made angry.

It's a fair point, but I guess they feel they have to do something, and this gets more press than anything else (so far).

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:19 - Nov 9 with 1652 viewsStokieBlue

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:11 - Nov 9 by backwaywhen

Why close the M25 when they get onto the overhead signs , why nor ignore them and carry on , you’ll only have to do this once , surely that particular strategy would stop . Don’t even pay them any attention, just wait for he or she to climb down then bang them up for at least 5 years …….. job done ……… cretins.

Cretins?

Bang them up for 5 years?

Nice to see the sensible debaters coming out for their evening posts.

SB

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:26 - Nov 9 with 1636 viewsgtsb1966

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 12:38 - Nov 9 by NthQldITFC

Louise is in prison now, if that makes you happy.

I wonder what she was so upset about?

Good actress. Not one tear, no glazed eyes. I believe in the cause but strongly disagree with the way they are going about it.
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:28 - Nov 9 with 1629 viewsallezlesbleus

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 18:50 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

SB

We all have opinions - right or wrong.

You believe that regularly disrupting the general public creates better awareness for this cause. I agree that it creates awareness, but actually hinders support for the cause. The general public have enough of the brown stuff to deal with at the moment, so to cause them further misery whilst they are just trying to scrape a living seems to me to be the incorrect way to drum up public support.

I get the bigger picture that something needs to be done........and I agree with that.

However, to me, these protestors would gain much more public backing if they were to directly target the people who can influence decisions, ie politicians and big corporation bosses.
Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:28 - Nov 9 with 1628 viewsnoggin

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:26 - Nov 9 by gtsb1966

Good actress. Not one tear, no glazed eyes. I believe in the cause but strongly disagree with the way they are going about it.

What would you suggest?

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:33 - Nov 9 with 1600 viewsallezlesbleus

Third consecutive day stuck on the M25 on 19:28 - Nov 9 by noggin

What would you suggest?

In France, a few years back when there was protests about taxation, some protesters dumped tons of manure right in front of the doors of a tax office (possibly several tax offices).

It generated a lot of publicity, the general public enjoyed it and the only people that it inconvenienced were the tax office employees and the politicians / councillors.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024